• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: You can share your Xbox One games with any 10 people

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdman

This system is going to be abused to hell and back.

My guess is that this is one of those features that will be "subject to change" and it'll be revoked or pared down later on. This screams as a last minute addition to help combat the bad press during the launch period...just my impression.

nbraun80

If they know what the hell they are doing it will work like this:

"Dad" buys an Xbox. All games registered to that Xbox are Dad's. He is like the system admin. He gets to decide who to share games with, what games they have access to, and has access to the credit card stuff, rights to buy games over Live, etc.

Everybody else under the family is just a regular account. They can play games online (if "Dad" allows), acquire gamerscore etc. But they cannot activate games or buy their own games. Ever. Only an admin account can own games.

So if you want to be in someone else's family, you never get to buy your own access to games. You can only use the shared games library it no other users are using it.

That makes logical sense and it would prevent most gamers from abusing the system since most people would want to be their wn admin with their own games. This system is meant for families.

If MS allows you to just share anything with 10 other people who can all have their own independant accounts they are stupid. If they have some convoluted middle ground they are stupid. All games are registered under an admin account. Ever one else in a family is just a user with access to those games one at a time and never have independant ownership. That makes sense.

that makes no sense.

My guess is that this is one of those features that will be "subject to change" and it'll be revoked or pared down later on. This screams as a last minute addition to help combat the bad press during the launch period...just my impression.

But they announced this at the reveal event before there was any bad press.

statham

If this is as good as it looks, I can't see pubs being on board with this.

Every college dorm will pretty much have 1 guy buy each game per building. Neighborhood kids will start pooling money to buy games.

Sales would plummet. Bypassing gamestop by just straight up giving your copy to 9 people.
you want different people buying those games, not 1 person. If you have 10 in your family, each should buy 1 game and share. more people could play since its owner + 1 that can be played concurrently.

BigDug13

Every college dorm will pretty much have 1 guy buy each game per building. Neighborhood kids will start pooling money to buy games.

Sales would plummet. Bypassing gamestop by just straight up giving your copy to 9 people.

This is assuming that the college even allows Xbox Live to communicate over their internet.

One thing just occured to me (probably it was already discussed in this topic):

What if the main user doesn't connect to XBL whitin 24 hours ?
Does his shared game library gets blocked ?
I mean, if I don't connect within 24 hours I cannot play my games on my Xbone right ?
So if I don't connect within 24 hours shouldn't my shared library be impossible to be played by others too ?

seems likely. otherwise we'd run into situations like:

Joe buys 10 new games day 1, shares them with bob.

Joe unplugs his xbox on day 2, sells back all 10 games.

Joe continues to play these games via bobs xbox, never plugging his machine back in.

granted, it's likely the machine will still check in via standby, so I don't think logging into xbl manually every day should be required to share games.

Chaos17

If this ends up being 100% confirmed by all official Microsoft sources, do you think this could shift the momentum Sony currently has behind them towards Microsoft?

Edit : my apologize I didn't read well enough the first post.

This system is going to be abused to hell and back.
I agree, it will be with they really let more 2 people play at the same time on the same account on any games. It will be more abused if you can diswon someone. People will be able to "rent" their library.

seems likely. otherwise we'd run into situations like:

Joe buys 10 new games day 1, shares them with bob.

Joe unplugs his xbox on day 2, sells back all 10 games.

Joe continues to play these games via bobs xbox, never plugging his machine back in.

The online check in for shared games is 1 hour. The check in for games you own is 24 hours. Unplugging the XB1 wont help you at all.

ultron87

This family plan isn't official for me because I didn't saw any website talk about it. Seems only some forums know about this great "plan".

I agree, it will be with they really let more 2 people play at the same time on the same account on any games. It will be more abused if you can diswon someone. People will be able to "rent" their library.

It is on the most official source we have: http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

No, you can totally do this. Not all 10 people can play at the same time though. Owner + One "Family" member is what it sounds like.

Of course, there will still be one person who is the actual owner, so if he ever leaves the family group, then you won't have their games in your library anymore.

Lots of issues with that then if we're talking 8 of 10 people probably getting real salty.

But between just two guys though...games would essentially turn into being just 30 dollars new, nevermind if the used game platform shit actually still results in decent savings..

something to think about...need clarification.

The online check in for shared games is 1 hour. The check in for games you own is 24 hours. Unplugging the XB1 wont help you at all.

that was my point. if the host machine can't or doesn't check in every 24 hours, it's likely to block access to the library.

if it didn't, gaming the system would be laughably easy.

that was my point. if the host machine can't or doesn't check in every 24 hours, it's likely to block access to the library.

The host console will definitely have to check in, there is no way they are going to let you share games if you havent checked in.

Also the only way to trade in a game is to deactivate it from your account.

Phawx

Game Room. What a joke that was/is. I wonder how long Gerstmann kept up with buying every single game release.

I don't think he's talking about Game Room. He's talking about how you could play XBLA games on two different 360's but only purchasing the game once.

ultron87

Well really it'd just be the sharer's console that needs to check in. The owner's library is known in the cloud and will be disabled there when they sell it back to the Gamestop.

The host console will definitely have to check in, there is no way they are going to let you share games if you havent checked in.

agree completely. it's important to note that the xbox is never really "off" though, otherwise turning it on via voice command wouldn't work.

the only way for it not to be auto checking in once a day is to literally unplug it from the power or ethernet.

Phawx

agree completely. it's important to note that the xbox is never really "off" though, otherwise turning it on via voice command wouldn't work.

the only way for it not to be auto checking in once a day is to literally unplug it from the power or ethernet.

Technically the PS4 does this as well.

synce

This is pretty much the only cool feature of the Xbone but I'm not about to be at the mercy of their servers when I want to play.

Troll

Banned
jgKkQFI.png

beaten but at least I have a screen shot :D

How many people can play the shared family games at once? If its literally all 10 then damn son. Day 1.

You'd just have a guy you trusted with a paypal account, have everyone send him the measley 6 bucks or whatever, he buys it and knows his internet connection/situation is stable, and everyone profits?

Can't be this simple..

Newt

Sales of games might plummet, but this gen they're making a profit of the hardware. If everyone is buying their own console this would be great for Microsoft.

How many people can play the shared family games at once? If its literally all 10 then damn son. Day 1.

You'd just have a guy you trusted with a paypal account, have everyone send him the measley 6 bucks or whatever, he buys it and knows his internet connection/situation is stable, and everyone profits?

Can't be this simple..

They have been very clear about this part. Only 1 person on your share list can access it at any given time. Spreading the cost of 1 game among 10 people would never work.

Phawx

Perhaps we should curate a list of clear questions/examples? Anyone want to be in charge of that?

Perhaps we should have a new thread that an OP can curate?

in the next gen the bolded would most likely be purchased from a digital store

why directly undermine that?

Because people want a physical disk?

jgKkQFI.png

beaten but at least I have a screen shot :D

They need make a video where they show this doesn't have to be fancy something sony did a 20~40 sec video.
1)Your room.
2)Add friend(longer then 30days) to family library.
3)Share game.
4)Switch to friend room
5)friend sees hes into the shared library
6)downloads the game for like 5 sec uuber speed internet like in ps4 video.
7)Sees play option start
8)Start playing the game
9)Sees both players character in ryse or race against each other in forza 5.

They have been very clear about this part. Only 1 person on your share list can access it at any given time. Spreading the cost of 1 game among 10 people would never work.

Ok then.

Sounds like it'll be awesome down the run when there are enough games out and peoples backlogs are big enough for everyone to basically be playing something different between each other, but for the most part relatively useless for the hardcore gamer.

Still a huge feature for casuals I guess.

that makes no sense.

Actually it does make some sense. This is a family plan after all, it makes sense there just one head of the family account that controls everything. It'd be nice if MS spoke up and explained how the hell this works, but I guess that's too much trouble.

Ok then.

Sounds like it'll be awesome down the run when there are enough games out and peoples backlogs are big enough for everyone to basically be playing something different between each other, but for the most part relatively useless for the hardcore gamer.

There's debate about whether more than one family member can have access to the shared list at the same time. The consensus seems to be leaning towards no. Therefore it's useless for big backlogs.

Newt

Ok then.

Well, if you have one friend to play with it's basically $30 for a game. Still largely appeals to the hardcore fan base.

MogCakes

has it been said if more than 1 person can access your library at one time? LIke if im playing co-op can any one of the 9 other people play any of my other games.

So if one person logs into my family account its then blocked for all my other family members?

Yes, you can only have one 'member' of the family accessing the library at a time, aside from you who always has access to your games since you're the head.

I'm guessing over half of the people riding the xbone is trash train will be converts 6 months after release.

Hahaha! That's a good one! This is a neat feature, but it's nothing the PS3 doesn't already do as far as digital goes. Disc-based games can't be shared on PSN though, so if you're really looking to shaft devs and pubs of more of their potential sales like they all say we are with used games, go for this one! Nah but really, it sounds pretty cool, just not something that would win the console war for MS.

Sure, but if every gamer can effortlessly lend to 10 strangers, think of how amazing that would be for online community friendships. I can think of at least 5 posters on GAF who I would have on my friends list. It strips away the physical limitations of lending. And it allows everyone to be involved without worrying over whether you would ever see that disc again. For me, it's perfect.

It's a nice solution except only one of your friends can be logged into your library at a time other than you. You'll have to schedule with them - if you can get past that though it has a lot of potential.

Even then it's still better than disc lending. I would love to never give out any disc anymore, too many times I've waited months for someone to return a game, I also got back a lot of discs damaged cases and scratches on the disc, in some cases people even broke the game.

That's definitely an advantage this system has over disc-lending, but it has its limits as well with the restriction on the number of people in the library. There may also be other restrictions in place we don't know of yet. We need clarification from MS...

yea but Sony's solution was like legally stealing the game if I understand how profile sharing works.

Yep, but you're sharing account details so there's much less mucking about with strangers - it's all kept within good friends and family. That and disc-based games can't be shared.

I didn't imagine people were just excited because it was the same as lending, I figured people were excited because 10 people could split the cost of their gaming library. I don't know why it's any kind of great XBO benefit, "people need to know about this," if it's just digital lending.

There's been a lot of confusion about everything because of the OP and the Xbox support twitter, which caused debate over the official policy listed on the Xbox One website. We had actually mostly figured out a solid idea of how it worked around page 43-44, but of course people tend not to read that many pages of text so they continue to bring the discussion back to ground zero :)

Justin

but its already been stated it doesn't have to be literal families.

Yep

For one, a family member doesn't have to be a "blood relative," he said, eliminating the extremely unlikely possibility that the Xbox One would include a built-in blood testing kit. For another, they don't have to live in the primary owner's house—I could name a friend that lives 3,000 miles away as one of my "family members" Mehdi said.

You'll be able to link other Xbox Live accounts as having shared access to your library when you first set up a system and will also be able to add them later on (though specific details of how you manage these relationships is still not being discussed). The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time. All in all, this does sound like a pretty convenient feature that's more workable than simply passing discs around amongst friends who are actually in your area.

They really should change the name to Xbox Groups or something if they are going to come out and say they know that non-family members can use the feature.

Phawx

First link I found: http://gamerant.com/ps4-internet-connection-drm/

"Yoshida doesn’t say that gamesr might want to keep the PS4 connected to the Internet because of DRM, though; he is referring to the console’s new background downloading capabilities. Using a dedicated processor, the PS4 will be able to download games, update software, or stream to the PS Vita. The processor will also keep active while the console is in low power mode, downloading updates while the PS4 is actually “asleep.”"

Each PSN account has two activations. You can share your log in details with one friend and they can download all your DLC, PSN games, themes, etc but I'm pretty sure you can't do it with retail games.

It's clearly not the same unless he meant you can lend your game discs, but I can't imagine someone taking every single game they own and lending them a friend as would be the case with this system if the info is accurate.

Alx

Yep

They really should change the name to Xbox Groups or something if they are going to come out and say they know that non-family members can use the feature.

Well, "group" is lower than "friends". What's closer than friends, apart from family ? "Best buddies" ?
Maybe that could work. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom