• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: You can share your Xbox One games with any 10 people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jal

Exactly! You add people to your "family", you can continue to play as normal but everyone in your family gets access to your games library which they can play freely. Only "catch" is: only one family member can play from your library at the same time.

Which to my mind, isn't such a big catch at all, because if you are having a good "family", and one guys library is in use, you still have 9 other people to pick out games from. It's probably only a catch for those guys looking to game the system.

This wouldnt happen, you'd only be in the family of that one account, only sharing their games. It wouldnt mean access to everyones games in the family.

RulkezX

How this benefits pubs is lets say I love CoD but my buddy who just got an XB1 has never played a CoD game before. He isnt sure he would like it, now he can get into my library and try it out. He isnt going to be able to just play it when ever though since other people on my list are on from time to time, and only 1 person can be on at a time. Maybe my friend likes it and decides to buy his own copy so he can play when ever he wants, or maybe he waits and buys the next CoD when it comes out, either way they have gotten a new person interested in their games.

Wouldn't it make more sense for publishers to allow full game demos like PS+ does ?

Sure for new games like CoD people might go out and buy it, but for games a few months old it's just as likely that they wont.

If it was just about spreading awareness and allowing people to trial games then the publishers would insist that the licenses were time limited.

nbthedude

If they know what the hell they are doing it will work like this:

"Dad" buys an Xbox. All games registered to that Xbox are Dad's. He is like the system admin. He gets to decide who to share games with, what games they have access to, and has access to the credit card stuff, rights to buy games over Live, etc.

Everybody else under the family is just a regular account. They can play games online (if "Dad" allows), acquire gamerscore etc. But they cannot activate games or buy their own games. Ever. Only an admin account can own games.

So if you want to be in someone else's family, you never get to buy your own access to games. You can only use the shared games library it no other users are using it.

That makes logical sense and it would prevent most gamers from abusing the system since most people would want to be their wn admin with their own games. This system is meant for families.

If MS allows you to just share anything with 10 other people who can all have their own independant accounts they are stupid. If they have some convoluted middle ground they are stupid. All games are registered under an admin account. Ever one else in a family is just a user with access to those games one at a time and never have independant ownership. That makes sense.

If this ends up being 100% confirmed by all official Microsoft sources, do you think this could shift the momentum Sony currently has behind them towards Microsoft?

zonezeus

Really, the more I think about it the more it looks like a sugar-coated way to actually limit lending, by dangling small incentive in front of us and hoping we would forget about the bigger picture, as it virtually limits lending to one game at a time even though your library is much much bigger. But I quite understand why some might like it it's a matter of personal preference - I lend and borrow a lot and very often, some other's don't.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If this ends up being 100% confirmed by all official Microsoft sources, do you think this could shift the momentum Sony currently has behind them towards Microsoft?

No, for many reasons:

1) It's still restricted to only two people at a time

2) It's incredibly confusing. I mean, look at this thread alone and this is with people who play video games a ton.

EGM1966

This system is going to be abused to hell and back.

If it can be abused then it won't remain in place for long I imagine. PS3 went from sharing across 5 consoles to just 2 due to abuse of the system - and if this system proves equally easy to manipulate then it'll change (for the worse obviously).

No, people are really set into physical media and how physical media works. Even though MS seems to be making great strides in expanding digital rights it will never compare to physical media rights and so it will always be compared negatively.

Heretic

Uhhh, how is that not the deal breaker? Who wants to play games in shifts?

"Oh, hey! Free game, but I can only play it when you're done?"

Sounds literally like the worst idea ever, worse even then no used games. At least I'd have to buy new games but be able to play them whenever I want. A family plan where the family has to take turns is the worst thing MS has announced about the Xbox One and boy howdy is that saying something.

This is ridiculous.

How is it any different than how it is now? If it works exactly how it works now there's still the convenience factor.

guch20

Banned
So why is it everyone's thinking you'll be able to play these games on your friend's shared list for free? Microsoft never said that. In fact, VP Phil Harrison has the opposite:

Harrison then explained what happens when you want to take that game beyond the borders of your own home and into a friend's place.

"I can come to your house and I can put the disc into your machine and I can sign in as me and we can play the game," he explained.

"The bits are on your hard drive. At the end of the play session, when I take my disc home - or even if I leave it with you - if you want to continue to play that game [on your profile] then you have to pay for it. The bits are already on your hard drive, so it's just a question of going to our [online] store and buying the game, and then it's instantly available to play.

Unless shit has changed rapidly since then, you'd think a VP would know what he's talking about.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...cond-hand-sales-and-always-online-in-xbox-one

Rad-

So why is it everyone's thinking you'll be able to play these games on your friend's shared list for free? Microsoft never said that. In fact, VP Phil Harrison has the opposite:

Unless shit has changed rapidly since then, you'd think a VP would know what he's talking about.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...cond-hand-sales-and-always-online-in-xbox-one

That's a totally different thing.

Probably not because for general public the console price is still expensive and they wouldn't know about this that easily. But if this ends up true, it could sell me a XO. The savings that this would bring are ridiculous.

A lot of damage has been done already so no. Not with this alone.

This, their pr has been a massive fuck up.
Now they are in the same zone like sony was with ps3 they need to wake up from lala-land.
And earn majorities trust back by showing to the early adapters their vision is the right vision and be like steam in prices and actions. Make day 1 digital copies $45~50 just to say fuck you gamestop like gamestop is doing right now to microsoft. Steam has showed me digital is better then physical for me personally. And at the end that is all that counts what works for does not have to work for you.

And drop kinect to get a cheaper sku if they can sell it for &359~399 that should make it on the price more even.

guch20

Banned
That's a totally different thing.

Probably not because for general public the console price is still expensive and they wouldn't know about this that easily. But if this ends up true, it could sell me a XO. The savings that this would bring are ridiculous.
He's specifically talking about playing one of your friend's games when your friend is no longer around. He said the info is n your drive and you have to pay to unlock it.

As quick as everyone is to believe Microsoft is eager to give away free games, I doubt they're that anxious to kill the gaming industry (which is exactly what this would do).

Zoe

He's specifically talking about playing one of your friend's games when your friend is no longer around. He said the info is n your drive and you have to pay to unlock it.

As quick as everyone is to believe Microsoft is eager to give away free games, I doubt they're that anxious to kill the gaming industry (which is exactly what this would do).

Just because someone is your friend doesn't mean they're in your family.

Yes, but that's just any friend and not part of your family plan. This is different, though we still don't fully know how it works.

guch20

Banned
Just because someone is your friend doesn't mean they're in your family.

So you're on the bandwagon that says Microsoft is actually willing to freely allow people to share any game they want, without any additional charges?

Because I find it hard to believe Microsoft is gullible enough to not realize how gamed that system will become. They didn't make their massive fortune by playing nice, and I have a sneaking suspicion that when the other shoe drops, we'll see they're not being as benevolent as they seem right now.

Zoe

So you're on the bandwagon that says Microsoft is actually willing to freely allow people to share any game they want, without any additional charges?

Because I find it hard to believe Microsoft is gullible enough to not realize how gamed that system will become. They didn't make their massive fortune by playing nice, and I have a sneaking suspicion that when the other shoe drops, we'll see they're not being as benevolent as they seem right now.

I didn't say no additional charge, but even if they didn't do a charge, the 2 person limit makes it effectively the same as current PS3 sharing.

On both the 360 and PS3 you can share digital games with 1 other person, why would they change that now when they have left it in place all gen long?

Tfault

Has anyone else noticed that whenever Xbox support are aske how many 'family' members can play the same game at the same time they are now just quoting the standard statement

Jeff James ‏@jefferysjames 1h
@XboxSupport With the XB1 and the family sharing, how many of the 10 users will be able to play the same game at the same time?

Xbox Support 3 Xbox Support 3 ‏@XboxSupport3 24m
@jefferysjames You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time^AR

Maybe they go it wrong earlier?

see5harp

Either way we won't know until years down the the line. The fact of the matter is Sony is releasing a console in the same window with a $100 price advantage and many of the same big multiplatform titles.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Has anyone else noticed that whenever Xbox support are aske how many 'family' members can play the same game at the same time they are now just quoting the standard statement

We know they got it wrong earlier. It went completely against their official press release and statements by execs.

MaulerX

I don't think it's abuse if they've designed it to work this way.

Exactly. Maybe another phrase would be "people are really going to take advantage of what's being offered". Already at my work place people are actually trying to convince other people to get the X1 just for this alone.

Tfault

We know they got it wrong earlier. It went completely against their official press release and statements by execs.

Ah, okay haven't been able to keep up with this thread. Certainly not the first thing they have got wrong on the Xbox one.

That's totally different.

What he described was that if I go over to your house, download my game, which you do not own, we can play it together for free, just like you can on the 360. If I leave, and you want to play the game on your own account, you must purchase it since you do not own it, again, just like the 360.

statham

I remember when I was in school computer class everyone would ask me what type of computer I had( C64) then what games I had for it, because they wanted to copy my games, I can kinda see that happening with this. "what game do you have for it" , "Halo, Crackdown. Forza" , "can you add me to your family? I have FFXV and Destiny"

So with this policy there's no way xbone games will drop in price ever. I'd assume it'll stay as 60. It'd be funny if they bumped it up to 100 or something.

I remember when I was in school computer class everyone would ask me what type of computer I had( C64) then what games I had for it, because they wanted to copy my games, I can kinda see that happening with this. "what game do you have for it" , "Halo, Crackdown. Forza" , "can you add me to your family? I have FFXV and Destiny"

I really think that is what MS is hoping for. This could be a great way to get people to sign up for live and try games they never would have tried.

I would embrace our new Xbox overlords of this was true, because if you pull 10 dedicated gamers together in a family then new releases would cost 6 dollars.

There's just no chance though...

nbthedude

This blows my mind , why go through all the DRM shit and try to control the 2nd hand game market , then turn round and let 10 people play 1 game.

Surely that's more damaging than any hypothetical loss of sales from people trading in games.

Because it isn't happening that way. People are delusional.

Like I said before, it probably works just like an "Admin" status on a PC. The "Admin" has all the control and the rights, the other users on that PC do not. If you are a member of a family, you aren't going to get to have your own separate library of games or be able to buy stuff on Xbox Live or whatever. You'll only be able to play games from the shared library that the Admin count gives you access to and only when no other family member is using it (as they have clearly specified).

If you want to have your own games that you can always access, you'll have to have your own console and your own separate Admin account. You can't be a user under someone else's family and also the head of your own shared library. That makes no sense.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

TBH, I think Sony can just point out that they introduced the idea of different accounts on different machines playing content from one account, and that PSN users continue to enjoy that, allowing two family members or friends to share content remotely. While still leaving no new restrictions on disc lending and private trades etc. If they feel a competitive pressure to loosen PSN's activation scheme they could do it.

I would embrace our new Xbox overlords of this was true, because if you pull 10 dedicated gamers together in a family then new releases would cost 6 dollars.

There's just no chance though...

No, you can totally do this. Not all 10 people can play at the same time though. Owner + One "Family" member is what it sounds like.

Of course, there will still be one person who is the actual owner, so if he ever leaves the family group, then you won't have their games in your library anymore.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Sounds like only one 'family member' can access the shared library at any given time. So the feature is far less useful for hardcore gamers than a more casual audience. That's why MS isn't worried about abuse.

One thing just occured to me (probably it was already discussed in this topic):

What if the main user doesn't connect to XBL whitin 24 hours ?
Does his shared game library gets blocked ?
I mean, if I don't connect within 24 hours I cannot play my games on my Xbone right ?
So if I don't connect within 24 hours shouldn't my shared library be impossible to be played by others too ?

That article is dated May 22nd, one day after the xbox one reveal event, and before any of the family share plan stuff was announced. It's likely that at the time he either couldn't talk about it, or details were still being ironed out.

Phawx

They probably got a stern lecture about commenting on that policy. I've been probing MS PR since last night and they don't even get back to me we a "no comment". It's just silence.

If this is as good as it looks, I can't see pubs being on board with this.

Every college dorm will pretty much have 1 guy buy each game per building. Neighborhood kids will start pooling money to buy games.

Sales would plummet. Bypassing gamestop by just straight up giving your copy to 9 people.

PhatSaqs

Banned
So with this policy there's no way xbone games will drop in price ever. I'd assume it'll stay as 60. It'd be funny if they bumped it up to 100 or something.
With this DRM plan in place that cuts out used game sales & rentals and shares the profits with pubs and devs, they'd better drop the price of games. They have to incentivise this for consumers or continue to suffer their apparent wrath.

Alx

One thing just occured to me (probably it was already discussed in this topic):

What if the main user doesn't connect to XBL whitin 24 hours ?
Does his shared game library gets blocked ?
I mean, if I don't connect within 24 hours I cannot play my games on my Xbone right ?
So if I don't connect within 24 hours shouldn't my shared library be impossible to be played by others too ?

I would suppose the main user has to be connected for his friend to be allowed to access his library.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom