• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza Guy gets 10 dollar tip on $1400 order

Status
Not open for further replies.
$100 just to carry a bunch of pizza? Seriously?

My thoughts exactly. Tipping 15% / 30% works when the total isn't that much. But as the total rises dramatically, the tipping shouldn't rise linearly with it, as the amount of effort required to deliver 1 pizza vs. 100 pizzas is NOT worth a linear rise in tipping.

When I was delivering pizza's I remember carrying 10 2Litre bottles and 12 pizzas up 3 flights of stairs to a Queen's University class. I then had to take another order that was exact same to another building on campus. The lady who ordered it met me at both locations and didn't even help me carry anything. Didn't tip me a cent. I normally didn't get mad when people didn't tip because there as already a delivery charge, but god damn I wanted to smother that lady to death in the pizza and coke.

Edit- I would have never expected the 15- 25% on it, but you know $5/10 would have been nice, considering she wasn't even paying for it, the school was.

Piecake

fuck paying 15% tip on 1400 worth of pizza. 20-50 bucks, sure, but 200 bucks for carrying a bunch of Pizza is ridiculous

SummitAve

Banned
My empathy for service people is right up there with everyone else who has a job.

Like I said, you are a sociopath then. You're unable to discern the different hands that life deals, and as a result unable to have the feeling of empathy.

You obviously don't have a job either, and probably have never had one.

When I was delivering pizza's I remember carrying 10 2Litre bottles and 12 pizzas up 3 flights of stairs to a Queen's University class. I then had to take another order that was exact same to another building on campus. The lady who ordered it met me at both locations and didn't even help me carry anything. Didn't tip me a cent. I normally didn't get mad when people didn't tip because there as already a delivery charge, but god damn I wanted to smother that lady to death in the pizza and coke.
If pizza delivery drivers want to complain about tipping, they should complain to their own companies about the delivery charge. Most think see that and just assume that's the tip, with good reason too. I already paid the delivery charge, why the hell am I paying you more money to do your job?

Don't order $1400 in pizza then. Simple solution for everyone.
That is... what.. I don't even understand your shitty logic.

So because I don't think a delivery guy should make more than most retail workers make in two days, for just carrying a bunch of pizzas a couple of feet from his car to my front door, I shouldn't order a lot of food for a party or something?

JordanN

Banned
Then quit participating in it. At the very least don't assume your limited and stunted view should be given a moments thought.
It's hard to not participate in something that literally surrounds you and interacts with you on a daily basis.

Cubsfan23

Banned
Overseas mostly. This notion of paying certain service workers (the line seems somewhat arbitrary) nothing and having their entire income be from the charity of customers is a peculiar notion that is pretty much unique to America.

your "charity" is built in your bill. And you get worse service compared to the US. Congrats?

Zia

What's the average age on here? Surely those opposed or indifferent to tipping aren't working adults?

robox

"Conventional wisdom dictates that if you can afford to have food delivered, you should be able to afford the tip. Not always. "

my interpretation:

Conventional wisdom dictates that if you can afford to pay for something, you should be able to afford to overpay the asking price."

well, yes, chances are, you're not spending everything you've got to make the purchase. but would you have to? obligated to?

now here's a hypothetical situation: you meet up with something to buy something off craigslist. you guys meet in neutral ground. you haggle the price down, as is the custom. do you then tip the guy for him bringing the item to you??

If pizza delivery drivers want to complain about tipping, they should complain to their own companies about the delivery charge. Most think see that and just assume that's the tip, with good reason too. I already paid the delivery charge, why the hell am I paying you more money to do your job?

It's not really "with good reason" as it's pretty explicitly stated where the charge is mentioned that it does not constitute a tip.

That it's bullshit to add a delivery charge is a different story, of course, and I agree. My solution has been to order less delivery.

BigDug13

How much pizza is that? Did he have to drive a special van to transport it? That much pizza sounds like a pain in the ass to load into the vehicle and to deliver to the door.

JordanN

Banned
Like I said, you are a sociopath then. You're unable to discern the different hands that life deals, and as a result unable to have the feeling of empathy.
Definition of sociopath:
"A person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience."

Does not apply to me.

SummitAve said:
@_@

That is... what.. I don't even understand your shitty logic.

Like I said, if it was a normal delivery I wouldn't really care. Your bill would be much bigger if "we" weren't getting less than min wage and making our money off the tips.

There is also a reason I am no longer doing it.

The Adder

Banned
"Conventional wisdom dictates that if you can afford to have food delivered, you should be able to afford the tip. Not always. "

my interpretation:

Conventional wisdom dictates that if you can afford to pay for something, you should be able to afford to overpay the asking price."

well, yes, chances are, you're not spending everything you've got to make the purchase. but would you have to? obligated to?

now here's a hypothetical situation: you meet up with something to buy something off craigslist. you guys meet in neutral ground. you haggle the price down, as is the custom. do you then tip the guy for him bringing the item to you??

Is that guy a guy employed by a company to bring stuff to me and living off of almost exclusively what I and anyone he delivers to gives for said deliveries?

The Adder

Banned
Ok then. Less work for the delivery person to do when filling out their taxes.

Delivery person is now free to fill smaller deliveries and more of them that may actually make them a reasonable amount of money instead of the asshole who ordered 75 pizzas and gave him 10 bucks.

The Adder

Banned
So because JordanN doesn't believe in tipping people who already get paid for doing their jobs, you think he should fall of the grid?

I find that notion quite ridiculous.

Because JordanN is "skeptical of society" he should fall off the grid. I wouldn't involve myself with anything I was skeptical of. That's just stupid. And choosing to involve yourself while loudly complaining about it the entire time is just dickish.

robox

Is that guy a guy employed by a company to bring stuff to me and living off of almost exclusively what I and anyone he delivers to gives for said deliveries?

how can anybody stay employed at a such a shady company that doesn't actually pay them for work?

He's lucky, he would have got jack-shit from me. No tipping here, you Americans are crazy to have let it get so out of hand that the guys not getting tipped feel the need to vent on the people who buy the goods that pay their wages.

The Adder

Banned
Definition of sociopath:
"A person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience."

Does not apply to me.

By your own words you are against society, you can not be any more literally antisocial.

So because I don't think a delivery guy should make more than most retail workers make in two days, for just carrying a bunch of pizzas a couple of feet from his car to my front door, I shouldn't order a lot of food for a party or something?

No, you shouldn't. If you think it's so easy, go pick them up your damn self. Everyone's happy. Except maybe you since you had to carry 75 pizzas home.

tumblr_mitolfMarv1qmjvblo1_500.png

Soul_Pie

The whole tipping culture has really pissed me off as an Australian, because it's one of those things that we've imported which makes no sense over here. Along with Halloween which the supermarkets seem to have hijacked to sell sweets to an already fat child population.

When I was 18 I had a job at a deli and a friend who was waiting tables, she earned more base pay than I did, worked in a far nicer place and got to bring home free food, and she earned about 25 bucks worth of tips in a night on top of that. Thankfully I've never been to a restaurant that expects tips, but I truly hope that can of worms is never opened over here.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
If America moved away from a tipping system for waiters and delivery people, then the employer's increased financial burden of having to pay full minimum wage (or more) is just going to be reflected in an increase in the price of the food.

You'll be paying the same amount, but now it's no longer optional. So instead of paying $12 for a meal and tipping $2, that meal is going to cost $14, no matter what the quality of service is.

At least with a tipping system, you can reward good service and punish poor service. At least you have a choice. I'm not sure why you'd want it the other way.

DrSlek

your "charity" is built in your bill. And you get worse service compared to the US. Congrats?

Except that's not how that "charity" works. Every customer ends up paying slightly more for their food to cover the cost of the minimum wage for service personel. No more of this 20-30% extra on top of the cost of food bullshit. Customers actually end up paying less over all. Using this system, tipping becomes a proper gratuity instead of an obligation.

Oh, and if people don't give good service, customers complain and they get fired.

way more

If America moved away from a tipping system for waiters and delivery people, then the employer's increase financial burden of having to pay full minimum wage (or more) is just going to be reflected in an increase in the price of the food.

You'll be paying the same amount, but now it's no longer optional. So instead of paying $12 for a meal and tipping $2, that meal is going to cost $14, no matter what the quality of service is.

At least with a tipping system, you can reward good service and punish poor service. At least you have a choice. I'm not sure why you'd want it the other way.

But that's so confusing! I'd rather just not tip and pretend I'm a champion of justice.

kenjisalk

Everyone who is decrying tipping sounds like Scrooge McDuck, constantly squawking about how everyone is out to get their money.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think the majority of us that don't get it are from Europe or other non tipping places and just find the whole concept bizarre

You may claim our service is crap but I much prefer the system that people get at least minimum wage and a tip if they've done a good job not just a job

The long history of tipping in America has made it a nuanced issue. It annoys people who understand tipping because those who dismiss it, even if due to an understandable lack of familiarity, tend to render it into a simplistic picture.

A lot of protests against tipping by Americans tend to come off as self-serving rationalizations: "I'm going to not tip this person putting up with people in a crappy job, in order to show that I won't partake in businesses supporting this practice. That'll show 'em all."

And the funny part is that thanks to the situation in the US: it's pretty common to see servers and service industry workers trying hard to do that good job, rather than lifelessly going through the motions. In fact, the people who get stiffed are often those who have rose to the challenge of dealing with a difficult situation and going beyond the call of duty. It's not uncommon to see a server or team of servers help deal with a huge party in a restaurant, stay on top of it, then get stiffed. Because unfortunately a lot of people who come in with the assumption the entire place will be turned upside down for them are assholes in the first place.

It's part of a social systemic problem, of course. Many in the US see people like servers as inferior drudges, who deserve being treated like literal slaves for the "failure" of working such a job in the first place. Remind 'em to know their place. Quite a lot of privileged people here.

Onemic

he shouldn't expect a 200 dollar tip. That's insane.

My stance on tipping pizza guys/tipping in general is already known so I'll just leave it at that.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

That seems a little over the top, even for a GAF tipping thread.

I'd definitely feel awkward giving someone only $10 to bring me 85 pizzas. Can you imagine how hard it would be/long it would take to do that? I know they're just "delivery drivers" but that's a lot of shit to bring somewhere in a timely manner.

I don't know about 15% or 20% but I'd definitely give him at least $50 for being a trooper.

Cubsfan23

Banned
Except that's not how that "charity" works. Every customer ends up paying slightly more for their food to cover the cost of the minimum wage for service personel. No more of this 20-30% extra on top of the cost of food bullshit. Customers actually end up paying less over all. Using this system, tipping becomes a proper gratuity instead of an obligation.

Oh, and if people don't give good service, customers complain and they get fired.

you're covering the cost of minimum wage.

Yep, that's charity.

Buddy delivering your pizza's is driving their own vehicle, paying for the gas, and getting no insurance through their pizza employer for the most part. Think about that next time your too lazy to walk and get your own pizza.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

Do you have any proof of that? It should end up being the exact same, unless you're assuming the average tip puts a server's wages far above what they'd make if paid fully in wages instead of lower wages + tips, which, given the existence of these tipping threads and the # of non-tippers, doesn't seem like it's the case.

As for your latter point, it's far easier to not tip than it is to call over a manager and complain about someone specifically. A lot of people don't like direct confrontation.

Krabardaf

Well that is how pizza delivery guys make their money. If they get there on time with your pizza in tact why not pay them for their job they did successfully?

Because that's what his employer already does?

Seriously, if tipping is needed to have a decent pay out of a job, your economic system sucks hard.

I generally tip at restaurants, but feeling obligated to do so would make me sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom