• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza Guy gets 10 dollar tip on $1400 order

Status
Not open for further replies.

SummitAve

Banned
I already said I have empathy for people.

Why is empathy now only tied to tips? A concept I found grounded in subjectivity.

There are hundreds of jobs out there. Each with their own struggle.

Delivering pizzas does not warrant special attention over everyone else. That's a fact and it will not change.

You don't empathize any more from 1 job to another. You think the same of single moms scraping by in the service industry to the guy who wines and dines client all afternoon. You need a serious mental readjustment, but I guess if you really think like that it would make sense why you don't tip, because you are unable to experience a range of emotions.

robox

If America moved away from a tipping system for waiters and delivery people, then the employer's increased financial burden of having to pay full minimum wage (or more) is just going to be reflected in an increase in the price of the food.

You'll be paying the same amount, but now it's no longer optional. So instead of paying $12 for a meal and tipping $2, that meal is going to cost $14, no matter what the quality of service is.

and i'll be fine with this. no playing games on hidden costs.

allowing restaurants to bypass minimum wage laws is stupid. fix the problem at the source, man.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
and i'll be fine with this. no playing games on hidden costs.

allowing restaurants to bypass minimum wage laws is stupid. fix the problem at the source, man.

Well at least you're honest, and understand what moving away from tips would actually mean. I personally don't understand why you'd want less choice, but that's your opinion.

qIYKp.jpg

Spongebob

Banned
Back up your statement.
So if I go out to eat at a restaurant and don't tell the waiter/waitress that I don't want to tip before hand, then I'm a cheap piece of shit?

I also find the notion that if you can't afford to tip that you shouldn't go out to eat quite ludicrous. That image reeks of entitlement.

JordanN

Banned
You don't empathize any more from 1 job to another. You think the same of single moms scraping by in the service industry to the guy who wines and dines client all afternoon. You need a serious mental readjustment, but I guess if you really think like that it would make sense why you don't tip, because you are unable to experience a range of emotions.
That's because I don't see a need to.

One person having a sucky job doesn't mean everyone else's is perfect. Nor is it something they're forced into.

How about no? I can order $2000 order of pizza and pay the tip of $30-50.

It's interesting how $50 for a single delivery seems to be the "reasonable maximum tipping limit" for a lot of people. The logic behind our tips looks like it stems from what we think is REASONABLE, where that 20% margin becomes a guideline rather than a rule.

daw840

Holy shit. That should have been at least 15%. That's fucking ridiculous. I always tip delivery drivers 20-25% because they have to pay for all their own gas and maintenance on their car. I typically do 15-20% for waiters since they're just walking.

Ponn

Banned
Freaking madness. Because the guy delivers $1400 worth of Pizza he gets $200 for doing so?
WTF?
Do I then tip the fed-ex guy $200 for delivering my $2000 computer?

If the cost of getting rid of the tipping culture and paying fair wages was invoked the person would automatically have paid that extra $200

That's because I don't see a need to.

One person having a sucky job doesn't mean everyone else's is perfect. Nor is it something they're forced into.

"A person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience."

Yes, this definition does fit you. Just because you don't see a need to differentiate between the struggles inherent in different jobs doesn't mean they don't exist or merit consideration.

The Adder

Banned
So if I go out to eat at a restaurant and don't tell the waiter/waitress that I don't want to tip before hand, then I'm a cheap piece of shit?

Yes. You are benefiting from a system that only exists because of tips. If you're not going to participate and you think there's nothing wrong with that, state that you're not. If there is nothing wrong with not tipping, why are you afraid to make it clear that you won't.

I also find the notion that if you can't afford to tip that you shouldn't go out to eat quite ludicrous. That image reeks of entitlement.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Freaking madness. Because the guy delivers $1400 worth of Pizza he gets $200 for doing so?
WTF?
Do I then tip the fed-ex guy $200 for delivering my $2000 computer?

Your FedEx guy is being payed at least minimum wage (and likely more) without tips. Your pizza delivery guy is not.

What if they only had 1410?

Don't order $1400 hundred dollars in Pizza.

I am usually all about tipping defense force at a restaurant, but delivering pizzas is a tad different as the company charges you delivery fee aswell as your tip. Also i don't think 15% applies for delivery as the guy walks 10 steps to your door. Either way sure it should have been like 40 because the people were having a party or whatever, but I am unsure as to why this on the internet...

daw840

I am usually all about tipping defense force at a restaurant, but delivering pizzas is a tad different as the company charges you delivery fee aswell as your tip. Also i don't think 15% applies for delivery as the guy walks 10 steps to your door. Either way sure it should have been like 40 because the people were having a party or whatever, but I am unsure as to why this on the internet...
The delivery fee generally doesn't go to the driver.

surly

Banned
If America moved away from a tipping system for waiters and delivery people, then the employer's increased financial burden of having to pay full minimum wage (or more) is just going to be reflected in an increase in the price of the food.

You'll be paying the same amount, but now it's no longer optional. So instead of paying $12 for a meal and tipping $2, that meal is going to cost $14, no matter what the quality of service is.

At least with a tipping system, you can reward good service and punish poor service. At least you have a choice. I'm not sure why you'd want it the other way.
I would separate delivery drivers from people like waiters though.

When I tip a waiter, I am tipping as I'm getting ready to leave. The tip is based on the entire experience.

With a delivery driver, I am expected to tip just for him bringing food to my house, before I've even got to eat any of it. Fuck that. Just pay them properly to begin with.

Yes, you are cheap. You are directly benefiting off of the backs of those that are working, taking advantage of a system that assumes you'll pay an extra 15% as the standard.

Also, you are incredibly entitled if you think you can go out and enjoy the hard labor of another without due compensation on your end. When I am going to go out to eat with friends, I think about the cost its going to run me (including the tip) and if I can't afford it, I don't go. I don't just deduct the tip amount and decide to go anyways.
Oh boy, Americans should pop by a few countries in Europe. They'd have a heart attack.

No, why would we? Europe has a minimum wage. Staff can live off of their wages (at least I'd hope so).

The delivery fee generally doesn't go to the driver.

I know I have never not tipped the driver, but i usually tip 5 bucks on a 1 pizza order. The driver places the pizzas in the car and walks 10 steps to your door. YES we should tip him, but 15% of 1400 is insane for such little work by the driver.

kenjisalk

A catering company that provides roughly 200 people's worth of food would charge you more than $10 plus cost of the food itself. He/she basically forced this kid to cater them for slave wages.

And before you say any crap about "caterers do more than just set out the food to warrant the cost", you clearly haven't been to many catered events.

Also used his own gas and vehicle to get to your place.

The delivery fee does go to the driver, but it goes towards the hourly wage, which is less the minimum wage. I would get $6.50/hour CDN plus 25 cents for every delivery then tips. The delivery charge was 3.50.

Krabardaf

Yes. You are benefiting from a system that only exists because of tips. If you're not going to participate and you think there's nothing wrong with that, state that you're not. If there is nothing wrong with not tipping, why are you afraid to make it clear that you won't.

Nonsense outside of America. Nobody expects you to tip here. I could say that to any delivery man or waiter and he would find it odd that I even mention it. That would just be a senseless, awkward situation. Not tipping is the norm.

Your system seems inherently wrong. Staff should be paid enough for it not to require tips, period.

Mik2121

No, it's entirely correct.

Do it. Tell the pizza delivery guy that you aren't tipping him at all before the delivery. Tell the wait staff you don't tip before the start of your meal.

Go for it, bro.

I assume you're in the US right? The whole tipping system you guys got there is messed up...

Where I live we don't tip at all. Even when I order pizza, nobody expect to get a tip and the delivery guys are usually really nice to you.

Now you might think waiters and delivery guys/girls get paid better here... but I dunno about that. I used to do part-time waiter job here when I was a student and I would get paid about $8 an hour. No tips at all, and it never bothered me..

In fact even where I'm from (Spain), we only tip if we liked the food and the service was actually good. Some people just leave a few coins in there just because they don't wanna have their wallets packed with coins, but if the service wasn't that good, don't leave a tip and then go back there another day, they are not going to spit in your food or anything. That's just messed up...

Edit: Reading your more recent comment... yeah, you gotta be from the US or somewhere like that. Things like this:

Also, you are incredibly entitled if you think you can go out and enjoy the hard labor of another without due compensation on your end
Would make you sound like a crazy guy if you said it in Europe or where I live now. Yikes!

I know I have never not tipped the driver, but i usually tip 5 bucks on a 1 pizza order. The driver places the pizzas in the car and walks 10 steps to your door. YES we should tip him, but 15% of 1400 is insane for such little work by the driver.

To be fair, I doubt there were very many other pizzas to deliver that day.

Edit: We're obviously talking about America only, guys. FFS. Feel free to chip in your opinions about American tipping customs from wherever you are, not-America-GAF, but when we say "you're benefiting off a system that exists on tips", we're pretty fucking clearly referring exclusively to the United States.

It still amazes me that some people on GAF don't understand the concept of tipping. That's like not understanding the point of saying "thank you". Is it just a European thing?

"But they get paid, WHY DA TIP??"

When did I say they didn't exist? To quote myself:

That in itself shows a massive lack of judgment and empathy on your part. A CEO does not merit the same amount of empathy as a janitor.

The structures for people in the services industry who get tips are incredibly different from "normal" jobs. You can say it's unfair, you can say it's weird, but when you don't tip in an adequate amount, you are only hurting the staff and not the system or the company.

This means that you are directly benefiting from stiffing someone, and that makes you an asshole.

If you don't want to participate in "tipping culture" don't eat out.

Darryl

Banned
lol this guy must've initially thought he hit the jack pot with that order. $10 is fair but probably on the lower end though. $15 would be more ideal and $20 would be a good tip.

A catering company that provides roughly 200 people's worth of food would charge you more than $10 plus cost of the food itself. He/she basically forced this kid to cater them for slave wages.

And before you say any crap about "caterers do more than just set out the food to warrant the cost", you clearly haven't been to many catered events.

you think this kid cooked all of those pizzas by himself?

TedNindo

I assume you're in the US right? The whole tipping system you guys got there is messed up...

Where I live we don't tip at all. Even when I order pizza, nobody expect to get a tip and the delivery guys are usually really nice to you.

Now you might think waiters and delivery guys/girls get paid better here... but I dunno about that. I used to do part-time waiter job here when I was a student and I would get paid about $8 an hour. No tips at all, and it never bothered me..

In fact even where I'm from (Spain), we only tip if we liked the food and the service was actually good. Some people just leave a few coins in there just because they don't wanna have their wallets packed with coins, but if the service wasn't that good, don't leave a tip and then go back there another day, they are not going to spit in your food or anything. That's just messed up...

It's the same way here in Belgium. But I do visit the US quite often. It's a horrible system.

I've been a catering server before, it was really nice. Each server just got paid $200 straight up. Granted the totals of that were listed on the receipt as "service charge", but there was no "tipping" so I never had to deal with that.

I think your system is better, frankly. I honestly think most people would rather have stability in their income, and I'd feel better about everyone being guaranteed a minimum, livable wage.

That said, this is the system we have here, and while I do not like it I'm going to harm those at the bottom because of some sort of misguided sense of principle.

Krabardaf

It still amazes me that some people on GAF don't understand the concept of tipping. That's like not understanding the point of saying "thank you". Is it just a European thing?

"But they get paid, WHY DA TIP??"

I say thank you. This doesn't involve money.

Your FedEx guy is being payed at least minimum wage (and likely more) without tips. Your pizza delivery guy is not.

Why is he not? How doesn't it appear wrong to anyone?
I can't think of any justification and tipping are certainly not a valid one.

You employ someone, you pay it enough for him to make a living. If you think bypassing this is right, then what the hell son.

Ponn

Banned

How many people in this thread are seriously thinking the pizza guy balanced 80 pizzas on one hand, put them in the back of his supposed truck then walked ten steps with 80 pizzas in hand?

This was a multiple trip order both delivering pizzas to office/house from vehicle and by car going back and picking up a stack prepared while on first/second drop. Keeping person from other deliveries.

You employ someone, you pay it enough for him to make a living. If you think bypassing this is right, then what the hell son.

Few people think that this is "right". But it is the system as it is and until it changes, we must be pragmatic.

Read the post above yours.

You don't inspire janitors into getting a better job by taking a shit in the sink.

Klocker

so sick of selfish assholes that think they don't need to pay for service.
New flash... with the decline in human power in industry, service jobs may be all a lot of us have left. we had better learn to compensate each other for our services...

god damn buncha cheap asses.

In the US, yes. We have a tipping culture, I don't understand why this is so hard for people.

Honestly, the tipping culture as a result of companies not paying their employees is another example, alongside their healthcare system, of elements of the US that wouldn't be out of place in an uncivilized backwater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom