• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Weevilone

I'm an extremely happy B6 owner, but I'm still intrigued by Sony's upcoming ZD9 (grass is always greener for me). I really don't like LCDs - not even Panasonic's DX902 which I had for a short time before my B6 (extremely narrow viewing angles and motion smearing). But I really, really like Sony's processing and it seems their ZD9 will be the closest we'll ever see to an OLED from them in the foreseeable future. But unfortunately there is no 55" model so it won't be replacing my B6 regardless of how well it stacks up against it.

I've started doing research due to issues with my Pioneer Kuro. Is it true that the LG B6 is exactly the same as the E6, minus the 3D and soundbar?

Xun

Very impressed with the KS7000 (UK) so far.

Obviously not quite OLED level blacks, but so far the blacks are better than our old Panasonic plasma we have.

Also the viewing angle seems to be surprisingly decent? Which is strange since the Rtings review criticised it.

Arthea

I'm still sticking to my 7 year old Plasma.

ha! my plasma is 10 years old. That's why I am looking for replacement.

I wonder when those cheap Samsung OLED TVs will be available and what they had in mind by cheap. I so want OLED, but prices are just too high atm. OTOH I paid for my plasma back then the same money OLED costs now, but it was different times back then.

You won't find a TV/Monitor for 400-500 Euros that can display 120Hz. 60Hz 4K is possible.

Cheapest monitor 40" 4K is the iiyama Prolite X4071UHSU-B1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gynA4V_8j6s

As for the Samsungs take a look at this thread:
https://hardforum.com/threads/2015-samsung-4k-tv-as-a-monitor-set-up-guide.1869675/

thanks, looking into it now

edited: is it true that my old HDMI cables won't work with new TV? These weren't exactly cheap too.

BlizzyAzz

ha! my plasma is 10 years old. That's why I am looking for replacement.

I wonder when those cheap Samsung OLED TVs will be available and what they had in mind by cheap. I so want OLED, but prices are just too high atm. OTOH I paid for my plasma back then the same money OLED costs now, but it was different times back then.

thanks, looking into it now

edited: is it true that my old HDMI cables won't work with new TV? These weren't exactly cheap too.

Samsung Affirms It Will Not Be Releasing OLED TVs Anytime Soon

Just try your current hdmi cables before new ones.

Weevilone

Basicly yes, but the input lag is higher by 30ms on the B6.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b6
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/e6

Oh shit, dagger right there.

Another dumb question, but does the LG set have a hard power button (anywhere) like the Kuros did? The Kuro had a hard power switch on the back left that would shut it off completely (vs being in standby). I actually have 2 Pioneer displays in the same room currently and it's a remote control clusterfuck. I wind up leaving one totally off using this button, so that only one responds to remote.

I guess it's possible that the LG has some other trickery for this, but I figure it's uncommon so unlikely.

Trojan

I need advice on what to do here, Gaf:

I want to buy a 65-inch 4K TV with HDR that I will use as my primary TV for PC gaming (along with movies, etc). I have narrowed it down to these 3 models but I'm having trouble deciding:
  1. LG B6 OLED (2016 model)
  2. Samsung KS9000 LED (2016 model)
  3. LG EF9500 (2015 model)

So two different models from LG that are OLED, one from last year because it's about $500 cheaper, and then the Samsung TV that is very highly regarded and over $1000 cheaper but is not OLED. I think most everyone would agree that the B6 wins out in a features matchup because its OLED, but the fact that it's almost $4000 is a tough pill to swallow. It's also worth noting that the brightness level of the Samsung is unmatched, so that's a notch on its belt.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth spending an extra $700-1200 for one of the OLED TVs vs. the Samsung. Anyone else done simillar research?

BlizzyAzz

You mean 20ms?

Also Euro B6 is 44ms so only a 10ms difference here - photos of the Bodnar test way back in this thread.

You're right. Great for the Euro B6 :)

I want to buy a 65-inch 4K TV with HDR that I will use as my primary TV for PC gaming (along with movies, etc). I have narrowed it down to these 3 models but I'm having trouble deciding:

So two different models from LG that are OLED, one from last year because it's about $500 cheaper, and then the Samsung TV that is very highly regarded and over $1000 cheaper but is not OLED. I think most everyone would agree that the B6 wins out in a features matchup because its OLED, but the fact that it's almost $4000 is a tough pill to swallow. It's also worth noting that the brightness level of the Samsung is unmatched, so that's a notch on its belt.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth spending an extra $700-1200 for one of the OLED TVs vs. the Samsung. Anyone else done simillar research?

Maybe this is a better TV till OLED will be more mainstream?
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000

Not much difference between the two TVs. The Samsung KS9000 can get slightly brighter but the increase in price is not worth it. The Samsung KS8000 is the better buy with a near identical picture quality.

Lucifon

Consider the C6 then. Same lag as the E6, passive 3D is amazing and it's priced the same as the B6. The curve is more subtle than the Samsung.
The c6 has better input lag than the b6? Doesn't seem to make much sense to me, I was of the belief they use identical panels etc outside of the curve. Has any site done tests on both rather than tests from different sources as I've seen varied results for all 2016 oleds including some saying the b6 update in Europe improves it significantly.

Lucifon

Good call...after reading that review it seems like it's a fairly minor difference, and if it's not a future-proof OLED then it makes even more sense. Going to go with that - thanks for the advice.
An oled with full HDR is about as future proof as you're going to get if you're considering an expensive tv. That said the cost of oleds is inevitably going to drop.

MrJames

The c6 has better input lag than the b6? Doesn't seem to make much sense to me, I was of the belief they use identical panels etc outside of the curve. Has any site done tests on both rather than tests from different sources as I've seen varied results for all 2016 oleds including some saying the b6 update in Europe improves it significantly.

34ms for the C6. same as the E and G series.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=207269447&postcount=15557

Evo X

For those in the know, how much better is a Vizio P series than my VT 60 for playing games and watching movies in a dark room? Thinking about picking up a 65" as an interim while OLED matures and prices come down.

x3sphere

For those in the know, how much better is a Vizio P series than my VT 60 for playing games and watching movies in a dark room? Thinking about picking up a 65" as an interim while OLED matures and prices come down.

Honestly, your VT60 will be better. Plasma PQ still > any LCD in my opinion. Only true upgrade from a Plasma is OLED.

I could only recommend going to an LCD from Plasma if you really want the size bump.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anyone with the Vizio P series know of any ways to counter the rather bright bezel? I usually like the metal finishes but the thickness and ligher color of the P series is distracting. I plan on getting the 55 inch version but every time I see it in store (I work at a Best Buy), the bezel gets a bit distracting. I wish the M and P series had switched their stylings.

Kyoufu

Anyone with the Vizio P series know of any ways to counter the rather bright bezel? I usually like the metal finishes but the thickness and ligher color of the P series is distracting. I plan on getting the 55 inch version but every time I see it in store (I work at a Best Buy), the bezel gets a bit distracting. I wish the M and P series had switched their stylings.

I would never spend money on a TV with anything other than black bezels.

I'm so sorry, Robo :(

MrBenchmark

the new P have silver bezels? Gross I'll be hanging onto my 2014 P a while longer i guess.

nitewulf

Basicly yes, but the input lag is higher by 30ms on the B6.

Picture quality is the same, E6 has better aesthetics, ie, the picture on glass thing, its quite stunning really. And the soundbar. B6 also doesn't have 3D, and it doesn't look bad by any stretch of the imagination, while not as high end looking, it's also quite stunning.

I just bought the 55B6...and the 4K HDR content on Netflix (Marco Polo mainly) is blowing my mind. Amazon has a decent selection as well. And the regular HD content looks pretty great as well. I tweaked around with a lot of settings but this really is quite good...very bright, vibrant, stunning colors and contrast. I haven't owned a TV in years, and mostly used my BENQ widescreen monitor for watching TV (lived in a tiny studio). Now that I moved to a larger space, I just went all in. And I couldn't be happier. The OS is very, very attractive and easy to use as well, hell even the voice commands work well!!!

TLZ

Banned
Honestly, your VT60 will be better. Plasma PQ still > any LCD in my opinion. Only true upgrade from a Plasma is OLED.

I could only recommend going to an LCD from Plasma if you really want the size bump.

I was close to buying a led tv yesterday but stopped myself. Oled looks awesome but expensive.

BTW regarding input lag, I read about it a lot but is it as obvious when gaming? Can I really tell the difference between say 20ms and 50ms lag? Or is it only noticeable in competitive multi player gaming? I only game offline. This is affecting my purchase decision.

Rekka

Neo Member

I have a p50-c1 and don't like the gray bezel. So I used black tape to cover it. Looks great now.

Kyoufu

According to this they're ~50ms. Is that severe?

Not really, no. I'm sensitive to input lag but my E6 outside of Game mode is 50ms and games were still totally playable.

I still wouldn't buy a 2015 OLED due to screen uniformity issues and lack of Dolby Vision but if you reaaaaaally want an OLED, that's not a bad deal in the end.

Josh378

I would have jumped on that Samsung TV a long time ago if it had Dolby Vision on it. Instead I'll just sit on that B6 when he goes under 3000. That's why I would go with the Vizio P65. Best TV of Both Worlds if cost is an issue. I say go with the B6.

pswii60

Don't go with the 950. I had the 950 last year and upgraded to the B6 and the B6 is leagues ahead in every possible way, a massive upgrade. It goes beyond specs - the screen uniformity is a night and day difference, it's brighter, handles HDR much better, supports DV, handles near black infinitely better, and gaming feels much more responsive.

IV Wolfe VI

Neo Member
Me and my wife just got into a new house and sold all our old stuff and I've decided that I'm not buying a TV until I can afford oled.
Def going the b6 route I don't wanna upgrade again for the foreseeable future.

holygeesus

Banned
I'm sorry, but 2-3x the tv? That's very debatable.

Well it's all relative I guess. Couldn't be happier with mine. As to the price of these things in general - they have dropped massively since the first OLED consumer panels launched. Besides, how many hours a day will you spend watching it? People spend tens of thousands on cars they sit in for an hour a day, so different priorities for different folks.

tmdorsey

Besides, how many hours a day will you spend watching it? People spend tens of thousands on cars they sit in for an hour a day, so different priorities for different folks.

Definitely agree with you on that point. Which is why I don't mind spending good money on a quality set. However, for most of us money isn't unlimited. With competition and technology where it is today, the differences between mid-level and flagship models from the heavyweights in the industry are very rarely that significant.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Remember in all of this it's all relative.

You're the one spending the cash, and you are the one using the set everyday.

I know the set I got is decidedly mid tier 2015 set, but it's fine for us. Plus our old TV was tpain so it was a massive upgrade.

Get what you like and can afford. Obsession over something being better out their will always lead to buyers remorse.

holygeesus

Banned
Definitely agree with you on that point. Which is why I don't mind spending good money on a quality set. However, for most of us money isn't unlimited. With competition and technology where it is today, the differences between mid-level and flagship models from the heavyweights in the industry are very rarely that significant.

I guess it is also dependent on what you are looking for from your set. For example, poor black levels are a massive deal breaker for me, so the added cost is justified, whereas I can understand that not being a priority for other people (the missus included lol)

nitewulf

I totally agree, which is why i was on the fence between the KS8000 and the B6...but in the end I figured, no point in buying the Samsung, selling it on in a year at a massive loss and buying an LG when I can just enjoy it today, and not be bothered to upgrade for the next 5 or 6 years. In the end, the image quality is just stunning to me. But I think I'd have been just as happy with the Samsung as well, unless you watch them side by side....its more of a peace of mind thing.

Oh shit, dagger right there.

Another dumb question, but does the LG set have a hard power button (anywhere) like the Kuros did? The Kuro had a hard power switch on the back left that would shut it off completely (vs being in standby). I actually have 2 Pioneer displays in the same room currently and it's a remote control clusterfuck. I wind up leaving one totally off using this button, so that only one responds to remote.

I guess it's possible that the LG has some other trickery for this, but I figure it's uncommon so unlikely.

No, it doesn't, and for good reason. Every few hrs the LG OLEDs run cleaning cycles, mainly to get rid of image retention. Standby is a requirement for owners of these TVs.
Thanks. So I guess what I go for shouldnt be higher than ~30 or so, I guess it'll be noticeable quite fast after that.

It's a bit noticeable on a LG E6 OLED (~34 ms), but still okay for me. Especially considering that I also get perfect blacks when gaming.

I was close to buying a led tv yesterday but stopped myself. Oled looks awesome but expensive.

BTW regarding input lag, I read about it a lot but is it as obvious when gaming? Can I really tell the difference between say 20ms and 50ms lag? Or is it only noticeable in competitive multi player gaming? I only game offline. This is affecting my purchase decision.

Depends where you're coming from.
For SP it should be okay if you aren't used to lower inputlag numbers.

Wow. I'd defo go for the EF9500. I read the EG9600 doesn't have hdmi 2.0a for HDR.

Wish we had such prices in Australia :(

The last EG9600 builds have HDMI 2.0a as well. At least in the US and Europe.

_RT_

I find myself constantly looking at the new sets out now and I've got to ask a few questions.

If I were to switch to a 4K set (moving from a 1080p Panny plasma), what do I need to replace?

1. All of my devices are currently routed to my Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver (PS4 and HTPC). HDMI into receiver and one HDMI to TV. Seems that that changes these days due to input lag, HDMI specs, etc...

2. I only want power and HDMI to the TV. I don't want to run all new wires (if possible).

3. When will I need an upgrade for my HTPC? Meaning... could I stream 4K content when available? Is there a way I could test it without a 4K display? Currently running a A8-3870K on a ASRock A75M FM1 MB.

4. Sounds like HDMI cables have to be replaced? Is there a way to tell which cables I have now? Is it written on the cable?

I keep getting the sense that upgrading to 4K means everything else has to upgrade as well and I'm not quite sure I'm ready to do that just yet. Plasma is still going strong and I may just hold out for slightly better prices on OLED.

Thanks all-

holygeesus

Banned
You would pretty much have to update everything there, including the amp. Worth considering that most modern 4K TVs have apps built in for streaming 4k content from the major providers, so you might not need your PC for that anyway.

Top Bottom