• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

I made it to 6th place in a solo game. I was way off of the 3rd circle when I saw a player with a UAZ park his car in the building across the road. I YOLO'd it and stole his ride. Most exhilarating experience ever for sure. Manged to find a uncontested care package with a ghille suit and a bolt action sniper and 8x scope. Pick off a couple of far guys before dying.

God I love this game.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I've encountered two pretty blatant hackers on the Oceania server. I reported them and they were both banned within a day.

Here's the vids, first two are from the same player:
https://streamable.com/a1wuv
https://streamable.com/lkm8u
https://streamable.com/dz9tu
Damn that first and last one are such bullshit. Especially crossbow kills, I've seen only a handful work well and even then it's body shots most of the time so no instant kill.

Again, I'm glad I haven't come across any clear hackers yet but they are definitely out there. Sucks you had to have some ruin your games but luckily they were banned. Where do you report them?

brentech

I'm running this thing at 720p with everything on Very Low and it's still wack

Is it my CPU/GPU? (Old AMD A10-5800k, but NVidia 1050Ti LP) or is it just the thing being alpha as shit and totally not optimized
It's a very CPU intensive game still. Doesn't make the most of video cards, so likely to be the CPU.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Curious, anyone have a long range kill to share? I got someone yesterday at an airdrop crate 680m away, was quite pleased, but I've seen some shots on youtube do close to 900.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat

autolesbona

Neo Member
I was a PC gamer in the late 90s through 2005 playing Quake, UT, BF2 until I got a 360. I have just bought a gaming laptop (i7, 1070) and realise I now suck at fps games using a mouse. Don't hate on me, but is this game playable with a controller?

The game looks epic but my mouse coordination skills have now left me.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
So how does that work?

Like, what does changing the 'zeroing' distance exactly do? How does he know to use the 2nd line(in the 600m video) to be his target?

For long ranges, you can use the map to range the distances to your target. Find an identifying landmark that they are close to (river,road, hill, house etc) and count the number of squares between you and him. Each square is 100m. Zeroing in correctly means you don't have to compensate vertically. With extreme ranges though, you're still going to have to adjust as zeroing doesn't go all the way - I'm not sure if its the gun or the scope that limits it?

Brakara

I was a PC gamer in the late 90s through 2005 playing Quake, UT, BF2 until I got a 360. I have just bought a gaming laptop (i7, 1070) and realise I now suck at fps games using a mouse. Don't hate on me, but is this game playable with a controller?

The game looks epic but my mouse coordination skills have now left me.

I was actually in the same boat when starting this game, but trust me, just stick with it and it all comes back. Short term though, remember to adjust your dpi. I started out with 2400 and couldn't hit anything. It became much better when I set it to 800 (it takes some adjustment because you have to use your hand when turning and not just your wrist which is what I'm using when just navigating Windows).

For long ranges, you can use the map to range the distances to your target. Find an identifying landmark that they are close to (river,road, hill, house etc) and count the number of squares between you and him. Each square is 100m. Zeroing in correctly means you don't have to compensate vertically. With extreme ranges though, you're still going to have to adjust as zeroing doesn't go all the way - I'm not sure if its the gun or the scope that limits it?

Gotcha. So if a target is 200 meters away, instead of changing my aim vertically, I change the zeroing distance and it adjusts the scope for me? @_@

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Gotcha. So if a target is 200 meters away, instead of changing my aim vertically, I change the zeroing distance and it adjusts the scope for me? @_@

Yes - it's ever so slight but sniping at long ranges is all about pixels at this point. Also, its better to underestimate the range (don't zero in to 200 if your target is at 150m).

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member

Yes thats the theory at least. But at a more advanced level I don't think you will see anyone do that. People usually adjust to the distance droprate and aim up accordingly

Grassy

Damn that first and last one are such bullshit. Especially crossbow kills, I've seen only a handful work well and even then it's body shots most of the time so no instant kill.

Again, I'm glad I haven't come across any clear hackers yet but they are definitely out there. Sucks you had to have some ruin your games but luckily they were banned. Where do you report them?

It certainly sucks to come across shit like that, but those are the only two blatant hackers I've come across in ~200 hours and at least they ban them pretty quick once you've reported them.

This post on their forum explains how to report someone: http://forums.playbattlegrounds.com/topic/3962-reporting-a-player-step-by-step/

autolesbona

Neo Member
I was actually in the same boat when starting this game, but trust me, just stick with it and it all comes back. Short term though, remember to adjust your dpi. I started out with 2400 and couldn't hit anything. It became much better when I set it to 800 (it takes some adjustment because you have to use your hand when turning and not just your wrist which is what I'm using when just navigating Windows).

Thanks Brakara, hopefully it doesn't take too long for my skills to come back:)

I think using a mouse at work all day means my brain isn't hardwired to invert any more but playing without it on just feels wrong

Tecnniqe

Banned
The 6th

"It’s something a lot of people don’t understand and they get a lot of hate because of that. I just try to correct them whenever I can. It’s like, listen, guys, they will get finished. Companies are not going to abandon games like that, you know? People say, ‘oh, DayZ will never be finished,’ and of course it will. People tell us we’re not going to be out of early access in six months; challenge accepted. I can guarantee you, six or seven months and we’re out of early access. It’s the team. It’s a matter of honour, you know? We will finish this game in six months."

The 7th

Today I want to update everyone on PLAYERUKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS progress through Early Access... So, we have decided that we are going push the full launch back a bit from the initial six-month timeframe, but want to assure you that we are still planning a full release before the end of Q4 2017.

giphy.gif

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Anyone else notice speed hacking? Saw a guy run from a UAZ to cover behind a hay bale, a distance of about 50 meters, in about 1 second. I was about 200 meters away from him. He then proceeded to move back and forth at incredible speed. His movement was much faster than the running animation.

I am not really worried about the hackers that cheat obviously (50+ kills with a pistol). I am more worried about the people who do so selectively just so they win.

Lots of teams of 4 teaming up in squads now too btw.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Übermatik;242789509 said:
If this is about not taking a screenshot, my Steam Overlay is disabled for PUBG. (Allows me to use Shift + Tab together to view backpack whilst running with default key bindings)[
Couldn't be arsed to use Geforce Experience/Shadowplay either.

I just changed the hot key for overlay to End. voila.

Anyone else notice speed hacking? Saw a guy run from a UAZ to cover behind a hay bale, a distance of about 50 meters, in about 1 second. I was about 200 meters away from him. He then proceeded to move back and forth at incredible speed. His movement was much faster than the running animation.

I am not really worried about the hackers that cheat obviously (50+ kills with a pistol). I am more worried about the people who do so selectively just so they win.

Lots of teams of 4 teaming up in squads now too btw.

That wasn't necessarily hacking. I've seen/been seen to do that myself, due to latency/bugs. We were running up this hill once and my buddy was going up at least twice as fast as I was, looked like the Roadrunner. Another time I was zipping all over a compound and he said it looked like I had blink dagger.

brentech

2nd place feels bad but 3rd place feels pretty bad too. Feels bad man.
I think once you're into the top 5 it starts to really feel. But 2nd hurts. Bread and I got 2nd the other night and I wanted to rip the arms of my chair off. Just one of those games where it felt like we should have won.

GodofWine

I'm running this thing at 720p with everything on Very Low and it's still wack

Is it my CPU/GPU? (Old AMD A10-5800k, but NVidia 1050Ti LP) or is it just the thing being alpha as shit and totally not optimized

I have a 1050ti with a g4560 and get 60+ fps on mixed settings. Id blame your cpu. I have 16gb ram and NO SSD.

Urgh. I really don't wanna replace all that because at that rate I might as well bump a new PC up

I do have only 8 GBs RAM too

BLUUEEEEHOOOOOOOOOOOLE

Shari

Software development happened.

Correct.

You talk with your heart and then you start to actually estimate features and content and numbers just dont add up, happens everytime.

I can also guarantee you that the guy ain't going to feel bad for what he said on the 6th, this happens literally on every software development project that has dates.

My boss once told me that you should add a 50% (yes, 50) overhead to every single project you estimate for, no matter how short or simple it is, unexpected and unforeseen stuff will happen all the time.

Trojan

Fucking finally! Holy shit haha! After 166 hours played I finally got my first chicken dinner!

Congrats man! I'm in a similar boat where I've played many hours of this game but still haven't won. I consistently get Top 20 but the win is sooo elusive. Yesterday I was 2nd (😣), 3rd, 5th and 8th during matches. My desire for Chicken is making me go mad.

Robaperas

I'll never win a solo game, I had a Kar with an 8x, a fully kitted M4, a bunch of meds and pills. 13 alive and I miscalculated the distance to the white circle and died a metre outside it. At least I got a 314m headshot kill.

GodofWine

At the risk of being very unpopular (even with myself since I use it), why is "Alt-Look" a thing? Why can I look directly backwards without moving an inch?

I really like third person, and use the advantages it provides, and like that it brings some 'gamey-ness' to it, but it feels a bit too much when you can swing around 360 while prone without moving at all.

I can even justify it in a car since the car has mirrors...to me, perfect would be third person, but no alt-look / free look / whatever you like to call it.

#randomunpopularthoughts

Tagyhag

At the risk of being very unpopular (even with myself since I use it), why is "Alt-Look" a thing? Why can I look directly backwards without moving an inch?

I really like third person, and use the advantages it provides, and like that it brings some 'gamey-ness' to it, but it feels a bit too much when you can swing around 360 while prone without moving at all.

I can even justify it in a car since the car has mirrors...to me, perfect would be third person, but no alt-look / free look / whatever you like to call it.

#randomunpopularthoughts

It's from DayZ, which got it from ARMA which got it from Operation Flashpoint etc.

It's a holdover that a lot of people who are used to the survival/battle royale games would miss.

I understand people dislike how much of an advantage it gives and having to use it all the time, but I've always been a fan.

That said, it'd be cool if they disabled it for the first person servers, then you'd really have to watch your ass.

Tovarisc

It's from DayZ, which got it from ARMA which got it from Operation Flashpoint etc.

It's a holdover that a lot of people who are used to the survival/battle royale games would miss.

I understand people dislike how much of an advantage it gives and having to use it all the time, but I've always been a fan.

That said, it'd be cool if they disabled it for the first person servers, then you'd really have to watch your ass.

Whole reason why Bohemia developed that feature was so you could look around in first person while keeping moving to wanted direction. As you would move slower if you strafed or walked backwards. It also allows things like keeping tank turret aligned to X while being turned out as gunner and looking around.

It's far more hacky when playing in 3rd person than when playing in 1st person.

JDB

Banned
They just need more obvious animations for looking around, especially for when you're prone.
Taking out alt-looking is a terrible idea, though. Screw that noise.

Tovarisc

They just need more obvious animations for looking around, especially for when you're prone.
Taking out alt-looking is a terrible idea, though. Screw that noise.

They could start with head actually turning around, like it does in ArmA games.

Top Bottom