• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

Good games J, nice to know there's still plenty of Kratos/Raiden online, lol.

Yeah those were fun! Soooo much Kratos and Raiden haha.
I have really grown quite fond of playing Kat, she really suits my play style I think. How bout that match when you got a sick number of kills with Emmet? I think you got his level 3 with still like 1:45 left!

SmithnCo

Yeah those were fun! Soooo much Kratos and Raiden haha.
I have really grown quite fond of playing Kat, she really suits my play style I think. How bout that match when you got a sick number of kills with Emmet? I think you got his level 3 with still like 1:45 left!

Is that the one where they ragequit? lol. Yeah, Emmett on close quarters stages is pretty good, unless you're fighting another Emmett, then it becomes bullet hell.

Is that the one where they ragequit? lol. Yeah, Emmett on close quarters stages is pretty good, unless you're fighting another Emmett, then it becomes bullet hell.

Oy yeah there were some matches where I was trying to fly around everything but couldn't help but get by grenades or those rocket blasts things.
When fighting Emmet I will admit that I go after turrets the second they are spawned. It's like free AP!

Aceun

Oy yeah there were some matches where I was trying to fly around everything but couldn't help but get by grenades or those rocket blasts things.
When fighting Emmet I will admit that I go after turrets the second they are spawned. It's like free AP!

I am a turret attacking junkie. It is TOTALLY free AP and I LOVE it.

Playing as Emmett makes me realize how fast Jak is. I also wonder if they tweaked Jak, I have a much easier time building AP with him recently.

I guess you could use the turrets to bait people, they aren't great for offense though they sometimes help you escape combos.

I feel like when I play Emmett that turrets help so much haha they definitely keep combos out if people aren't too keen on attacking them.
These 2 DLC characters have rejuvenated this already fun game for me a ton. Can't wait to see if we'll be getting any more

Zen

Banned
Nah no way. These OP characters still have ridiculous hit confirms... that's one of the main reasons they're op in the first place. Raiden is arguably the best 1v1 in the game.

Raiden is easy as shit provided you play defensively. I've played an abnormal amount of 1v1's against him thanks to odd dropouts, and only lost once. The whole 1v1 meta in this game is still largely unexplored thanks to there being no formal 1v1, hit confirmed be damned.

Raiden is easy as shit provided you play defensively. I've played an abnormal amount of 1v1's against him thanks to odd dropouts, and only lost once. The whole 1v1 meta in this game is still largely unexplored thanks to there being no formal 1v1, hit confirmed be damned.

I do think Raiden is easier to deal with than Kratos, Cole and Drake

Zen

Banned
I think everyone already knows how and why certain characters are too safe/too weak, we don't need ranked 1v1 to figure that out.

And of course it is skill based. If you're mashing buttons as Drake and have no idea what you are doing you'll lose even though you're an OP character. But 1v1 would still not make things more about skill, just more about the characters.

It's actually more about the characters in 2v2 and arguably FFA. If two teams have equal skill but one sides character synergize more (like say kat and Jak), then they will win. In 1v1 there won't be a team mate zoning cover for anthers attack. It's all about that players anticipating and engaging one another. No being hit by something thrown from player three.

For example, if you are playing Fat Princess and I am playing Big Daddy, then regardless of skill I will likely lose due to Fat Princess having an easy Level 1 hit confirm and Big Daddy having to get to Level 3 for a guaranteed hit. His Level 1 is a joke, and his Level 2 can kill FP, but he will have to do a lot more work than Fat Princess to get that kill. So while skill is involved, with two equal players it will always come down to who has the better character, and that's what I think people asking for ranked 1v1 don't seem to understand (or care about.)

People who want 1v1 want it because they do understand and care about balance. 1v1 is a situation that places a greater burden of skill on the players than 2v2 and FFA. It would also provide extensive data for SSM to see how character interact in a controlled 1 on 1 environment. Which is, at least in my opinion, where all of their balancing for base movesets should be happening in the first place.

Now, if SSM made a patch that put all of the characters on equal playing ground? Then yeah, I would love to see 1v1 added. But I don't care about them spending time on that when they haven't done balancing first.

You'd think that implementing a 1v1 feature would be really simple, and since they wouldn't need any of their balance guys working on it, I don't think it would get in the way.

Though in all honesty? i doubt SSM is going to do any balance work aside from maybe implementing a new character or two. :(

In don't know if we should even continue this tangent since we both seem to be looking at the problem completely differently. I don't see how having a 1v1 would make it more about the character than the abstractions of 2v2 and FFA already does. Characters will have advantages (that might need to be looked at) just like in any fighting game, but there won't be other players floating around as cheap AP generators, to say nothing of characters like drake using that damn barrel to CC multiple players in a combat ball.

Narolf

Banned
Yo GAF. I'm no longer working for SuperBot by end of today (2 hours). Just wanted to say thanks for all the support the past 9 months, especially the people who have continually vouched and stuck up for us since the beginning. Really hope everyone continues to enjoy the game for yonks to come.

Clockw0rk
Thanks for the coverage! Good luck for the rest of your career.

ibio9ukf7PsmUw.png

Rules:

Games will be played with two teams of two players. The game mode will be five-life Stock mode, and for the purpose of this tournament all items and stage hazards will be turned off. The bracket is double elimination, so even if you're knocked out of the first round, you'll have a chance to win the consolation championships. Games will be played in a Best of 3 format, and photo proof of a team's victory (scoreboard) must be sent to the judge before said victory becomes official. Doctoring or editing of photos is strictly illegal, and will be punishable by disqualification. The time and date of your match must be agreed upon with your teammate and your opponent beforehand so that the judge is aware of when the match will take place. The championship winners shall be awarded with a cool thing, and the runners-up shall be awarded a pat on the back and a slightly less-cool thing.

One last thing: Rage quitting shall result in immediate disqualification.

neoscraftycup.png

Teams:

Mink 'n' Stein (TheMink and JStein)

Camjo Ball Z (Camjo-Z and friend)

Da Vikings (Napalm_Frank and Drencrom)

Batmen (Troubled Bat and friend)

TMNPSASB (cool_trainer and teh_awesomeness)

BaHeathmut (Bahamut_24 and IntelliHeath)

Lurking Beasts (Beastm0de and friend)

Boogie Knights (Vysetron and friend)

Drencrom

I know we've talked about this before but; what the fuck were Superbot thinking when they made these cheap-ass hitconfirms for Raiden and Evil Cole?

Camjo-Z

I know we've talked about this before but; what the fuck were Superbot thinking when they made these cheap-ass hitconfirms for Raiden and Evil Cole?

"Hey guys, wouldn't it be hilarious if..."

Also Scrafty, Troubled Bat's been on GAF but he hasn't responded to my PM or accepted my friend request on PSN. Is there a point where I just win by default or something?

Also Scrafty, Troubled Bat's been on GAF but he hasn't responded to my PM or accepted my friend request on PSN. Is there a point where I just win by default or something?

Give him a bit longer. No one else has even attempted to set up their match to my knowledge, so it's not like you're holding anyone up or whatever.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Y'know, as annoying as Raiden's hit confirm > LvL 1 is, that part of it doesn't even bother me as much. It's more the overall versatility and strength of the Level 1.

A wide leg split that seems to have some startup invulnerability, that hits both sides of his body, persist for a long enough time to be used VS people who are waking up on the ground, hits enemies that are above him more often than it should, and can be thrown out with almost no real worry for retaliation from many characters (Of course, Drake can punish him, he can punish basically ANYTHING with his lvl 1! SUCH a good lvl 1.)

Confirms into hard-to-use / severely restricted moves make sense. But confirms into something with that many strengths?

Yeah haha, im EST right now but i was PST at that time. Then Vhod was EU so that was tough haha.
Your EST right? You go to college somewhere in that area.... Or something haha i forget

Yeah doing University for a year before going off to LA (lol PST). Let's just hope we're all in EST for now!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
BEHOLD The almighty Kat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v82yUA9p1I

the only thing left is to get rid or the thousand hit confirms.

Yeah, I'd agree, more characters should be able to duck under that lvl 1. That'd help remove some of the derp of it, and it doesn't even matter all that much; since most areas of the game are un-even anyway, it'd be rare to perfectly dodge it by this method anyhow.

I'd love being able to Gravity Slide under it too, but I've been hit while trying to escape or begin pressure in this method...

Thx for sharing the info!

Yeah, I'd agree, more characters should be able to duck under that lvl 1. That'd help remove some of the derp of it, and it doesn't even matter all that much; since most areas of the game are un-even anyway, it'd be rare to perfectly dodge it by this method anyhow.

I'd love being able to Gravity Slide under it too, but I've been hit while trying to escape or begin pressure in this method...

Thx for sharing the info!

You have no idea how many times I think I'm going to dodge something by gravity sliding under it....
You have no idea

Heey, sorry about everything. I haven't accepted because I haven't been online to do it.. I'm actually stuck on something. >.< I need to update the game, but sadly I had a really slow internet connection that would take the download hours.. -_-

Camjo-Z

Heey, sorry about everything. I haven't accepted because I haven't been online to do it.. I'm actually stuck on something. >.< I need to update the game, but sadly I had a really slow internet connection that would take the download hours.. -_-

It is no problem, I was actually just trying to score an easy win without having to play you! Have you tried starting the update just before you go to bed? That's what I usually do since my download speeds also suck badly.

It is no problem, I was actually just trying to score an easy win without having to play you! Have you tried starting the update just before you go to bed? That's what I usually do since my download speeds also suck badly.

Haha. Don't worry, i'm pretty sure it'll be an easy win either win. I have a partner, who doesn't know much about the game. Unless I carry the team. ;) I usually would do that, but the thing is, I have one of those connections that cuts off at random times. So, it would completely stop it. I'm actually going to try to take it to my GF house, fastest internet ever.. O.e

Aceun

Everyone should watch this vi for some good tips on how to deal with Raidens level 1 confirms, they aren't as bad as they might seem.

The one thing we forgot to talk about in this video is his counter hit confirm. Unfortunately there's no good way to deal with that :(

Also, just learned that Sly can duck under Raiden's level 1 and Sackboy can during his idle animation and when he blocks.

Zen

Banned
Yeah that's true, I usually try to keep my distance and use projectiles/range when he's in lvl 1 territory. His closing attacks re quite punishable and easy to anticipate. If you're not comfortable striking back when he closes (because you think you might have missed the window and could get hit with his counter confirm) grab doesn't trigger his counter, and you'll build AP from that anyway.

Also, as a matter of formal policy: Fuck Sly.

Woah, my video made it to GAF quick. Yeah we were making a video on how to deal with the Five when we discovered that.

Thanks for making these videos! Positive reinforcement has saved me form a few deaths today.

Tips for all the other characters, from Aceun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6WMSJ8_OYs

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I do think Raiden is easier to deal with than Kratos, Cole and Drake

I'll give you Kratos and Drake, but no way Cole, Cole is a step below all these guys. As for Raiden vs. Kratos, the problem in 1v1 is ultimately Kratos is weaker, simply because his supers aren't equipped for 1v1. His level 1 really isn't very good at all, and is so simple to dodge, and the hit confirm can be seen a mile away. Raiden can hit confirm from above, from a combo, from a punish, and he gets his level 1 so quick. Even if Kratos goes pure lvl 3, the max kills he will get for that is 2. Raiden in the same amount of time will have gotten a ridiculous amount of lvl 1s and can confirm every one of them.

OmegaZero

I'll give you Kratos and Drake, but no way Cole, Cole is a step below all these guys. As for Raiden vs. Kratos, the problem in 1v1 is ultimately Kratos is weaker, simply because his supers aren't equipped for 1v1. His level 1 really isn't very good at all, and is so simple to dodge, and the hit confirm can be seen a mile away. Raiden can hit confirm from above, from a combo, from a punish, and he gets his level 1 so quick. Even if Kratos goes pure lvl 3, the max kills he will get for that is 2. Raiden in the same amount of time will have gotten a ridiculous amount of lvl 1s and can confirm every one of them.

No way.
Cole has amazing zoning tools, the ability to AP burst and kill confirm from midair, a shield that negates most projectiles (haven't tested with Kat or Emmet, but things like Drakes barrel, Radecs sniper, or even items can be absorbed), and a good close up game thanks to his Ice Missile and Ice Barrier. Couple that with good ground and midair mobility and you have a walking nightmare in the right hands.

KalBalboa

Banned
Every week or two I see another character enter into the "top tier." Soon the top tier characters will encompass 21.

Everyone 'cept Sir Dan.

Skyzard

Banned
The going back in and out trick does help with the Vita but that still takes years longer than just opening up ports or DMZ... Especially if you find yourself connecting then going back to search really often.

Cheers for that ducking video, quite cool.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
No way.
Cole has amazing zoning tools, the ability to AP burst and kill confirm from midair, a shield that negates most projectiles (haven't tested with Kat or Emmet, but things like Drakes barrel, Radecs sniper, or even items can be absorbed), and a good close up game thanks to his Ice Missile and Ice Barrier. Couple that with good ground and midair mobility and you have a walking nightmare in the right hands.

Sorry thought you meant evil cole and his Giga punch, which I actually don't have much trouble with at all. Good Cole is quite a pest though so I'd get behind that, still think Drake, Kratos, and Raiden are a half step above though.

OmegaZero

Sorry thought you meant evil cole and his Giga punch, which I actually don't have much trouble with at all. Good Cole is quite a pest though so I'd get behind that, still think Drake, Kratos, and Raiden are a half step above though.

Oh.

Yeah, Giga Punch (and Evil Cole in general) is overrated for sure.

Ploid 3.0

I keep giga charged, but I don't get to use it much against the guy I 1v1 with. A block, or staying in the air a lot don't give much of a chance to use it for a stun. I keep it charged in case I need to get out of trouble, close distance fast, or to try to punish. E.Coles force projectiles are so slow on startup, and tickle lightning makes his only useful projectile the grenade. The up tripwires have their moment, useful for forcing someone to move in a particular way.

I started using Good Cole lately, he's much nicer since his force projectiles startup faster, and he have nice abilities that can actually hit people easier.

Top Bottom