• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation fans air grievances at Sony under crushing Xbox showcase hype

Bartski

Gold Member
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...ling-livestream-in-the-aftermath-of-xbox-show

ps5-fans-beg-sony-for-a-more-fulfilling-livestream-in-the-aftermath-of-xbox-show-1.large.jpg

Sony has, in recent years, changed its strategy to focus on imminent releases: its big games from the recent State of Play, the likes of Concord and Astro Bot, are due out within three months. LEGO Horizon Adventures and Until Dawn don’t currently have dates, but aren’t expected to be too far behind.

Microsoft, on the other hand, spent a lot of time re-treading old ground today: Avowed, Fable, Perfect Dark, and more were all first revealed several years ago; Gears of War: E-Day, the big closing reveal, will likely show up at several more shows.

Sony, in the past, was criticised heavily for revealing games too early into development; now it finds itself underfire for not following that same philosophy. It’s a case of damned if you do, damned if you don’t, then – but ultimately, as we noted, the reception doesn’t lie. PlayStation hasn’t put together a universally praised presentation for quite a while, and at some point, that will need to change.

Last edited:

Mowcno

They'll do a show later this year. Whether the Pro reveal is in that or is a separate thing we'll see.

Last edited:

FingerBang

Sony fucked up having a SoP just one week before the ex-E3 time, mainly because they must have known most of the games that would have appeared at the Xbox showcase (since they're coming to PS5).

The SoPs are not showcases, mini-E3s, or outlining of future strategies; they show upcoming games. I understand and appreciate not wanting to show a game that won't land for years, but then what's stopping people from switching to the competition? Meanwhile, the fans just wonder what the fuck all their favorite studios are working on. Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Sony Bend, who knows.

ToadMan

Well yeah Sony first party is pretty quiet and people are thirsty because their franchises are huge.

But then again let's not forget the MS event was a third party showcase. People haven't quite adapted to this "new normal" yet. No one would have been out of their box if these were just standalone ABK or Bethesda events, those games are multiplat anyway. It's the addition of the xbox tag that has made this event more notable than the actual gaming content shown.

Nintendo haven't done much for this event, Rockstar never take part. Sony did their SoP a week ago, but like most people I think they'll wait for a bigger first party show to support the PS5 Pro assuming that is a real thing coming this year. That hardware is more likely to encourage PS5 late adopters to jump from whatever they have today.

But overall, Sony doesn't have to do the heavy lifting for the moment - they can coast on third party hype & sales on their platform for now, but equally this next 6 months is probably critical for them in terms of ensuring the stability of PlayStation going forward.

I'd say their focus is getting people onto PS before Switch 2 is fully revealed - that's the real console gaming competition of note going forwad, and Sony and Nintendo will be trying to get their relative hardware and associated store fronts in the right position to gain marketshare as Xbox hardware exits.

Last edited:

Jormatar

Microsoft has now shown all of their games for this gen not counting some smaller titles and open world Forza. In the next couple years they won't have much new things to announce meanwhile pretty much all of Sony's first party studios has yet to reveal what they are really cooking for this gen and then no one cares anymore how Xbox had much more better showcase compared to Sony in 2024.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
In a sense the Microsoft showcase was also a Playstation showcase because most of these titles will come to Playstation, so Microsoft is doing Playstation's work for them.

Sony 4D chess grandmasters just keep winning!!!1!

Mowcno

Let's not forget the MS event was a third party showcase. People haven't quite adapted to this "new normal" yet. No one would have been out of their box if these were just standalone ABK or Bethesda events, those games are multiplat anyway.
Pretty much. If there was an amazing EA/Ubisoft conference (hard to imagine I know) there wouldn't be this mentality that it's bad for Sony.

Times are changing. A good Xbox conference is no longer a bad thing for Playstation. Nor does it require a response. Xbox console platform is dead and Xbox games are coming to playstation.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Microsoft has now shown all of their games for this gen not counting some smaller titles and open world Forza. In the next couple years they won't have much new things to announce meanwhile pretty much all of Sony's first party studios has yet to reveal what they are really cooking for this gen and then no one cares anymore how Xbox had much more better showcase compared to Sony in 2024.

I mean if MS shot their whole load now and Sony will be spacing out good announcements, they would be outclassed quickly.

Except that we are comparing a platform holders console lineup against a third party publisher's lineup. We don't typically compare a Nintendo Direct to say, Capcom's development pipeline, which includes numerous Switch games...

It was a great showcase from Xbox which I wasn't expecting at all, with a lot of different looking games for all kinds of gamers. Fans are right to give Sony some crap after that god awful showing they had last week.

I'm sure Sony will have something up their sleeves for later in the year (I hope so at least), but it better not just be a pro console reveal. I want to see a great lineup of different types of games, not just more Marvel bullshit.

Aion002

Indeed, but I think that the wait will be worth.

Sony spended a lot of money on third party exclusives like FFVII Rebirth, FFXVI, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin and others because they knew that their first party games needed a lot of time to develop.

Games like God of War Ragnarok and Spiderman 2, while pretty, aren't really that different from PS4 games... I think that the next batch of Sony first party big studios games will be incredible. Whatever Sucker Punch, Guerrilla and ND are making will hopefully be something that couldn't be made on PS4 and that's why they're taking a lot of time to create.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
Damn, the XBOX show was a blast, with all that gameplay and sexy female chins. Sony was lucky they didn't announce Hellblade 3, The Saga Senua. That would have been the Playstation killer.

mdkirby

I don't personally see Sony bothering. Like the OP says, its damned if you do, damned if you don't. They'll have run the numbers in regards marketing spend, views and social noise per game, compared between big showcases with lots of games and smaller more focussed ones, and likely found spreading them out in smaller shows is more cost effective, and gives the games more room to breathe and creates more noise per title than grouping them all together...which I would not be surprised if they then have supporting data saying that yields higher unit sales. The hardcore gaming community may well like these big blow outs, but that doesn't mean they actually make sense for the business, unless you in mega defensive mode and need to switch up the narrative like MS are.

midnightAI

Competition is good. Xbox doing well, will send this kind of message to the market leader.

Sony needs to step up
Not really, I mean, I want to see their games, but only when they are ready, as great as Microsoft's showcase was, it's still showing plenty of CG trailers for games years away.

We also know Sony is releasing a Pro console so my guess is the floodgates will open when thats announced. Why show games now when you can show them in their best light in a few months?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is like politics right now.

Xbox is Biden and Trump is PlayStation. Biden passed the half assed border thing and he's had these problems for years. So he does something that tries to appease people and it's half baked.

I get the perception that Xbox had a good showing. The reality is they're still shit at running their business and one show does not make it better.

On top of that, most, if not all these games, will be playable on other platforms.

They had exclusive rights to reveals games that are coming to the competition. And the rest is fluff until gameplay and meat and potatoes are shown. I'm still interested in a few titles that happen to be multiplatform

Don't get a high on fumes though when the product is not finished.

StueyDuck

A few tweets aren't "all fans".

on my Xbox, I have Indiana Jones this year (to be honest probably PC cause it's an FPS) and on my PS5 I have Astrobot.
All these idiots will say the same thing when Sony has all their studios finally pop, all about their grievances with MS because all their studios will be too busy making their games and not announcing games every showcase.
These are idiotic talking points for idiots.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

I don't recognize the current Sony, It's not the same company that made me fall in love with their offerings during the PS3/PS4 era. It's pathetic and embarassing how dreadful their communication has been during the PS5 gen and fanboys still give em a pass saying "the next showcase will be the big one" then it comes and goes like a wet fart and they repeat the statement...similar to the "wait for next year" meme on Xbox.

They were once trend setters now all they seem to do is follow gaas around like little lost puppies.

The problem is and fanboys should know this that this is what happens when Microsoft buys publishers and have half the studios more then what sony has.. for sony to bring it there ms standards sony studios gotta atleast have two 1st party games between them to match Microsoft offering

M1987

Most of these Xbox games are not for a year anyway so I don't see a problem,plus Sony are not revealing games until closer to release from now on

I am not interested by "in engine" or "in game" footage running on unspecified high end PCs of games somewhere in their development cycle. It looks very good but the product on display does not exist, so I don't care.

When I watch a Playstation event, I want to see gameplay "captured on PS5". It gives me confidence in the game and its release. Look what happened to Cyberpunk 2077 when it was released in December 2020, and also Pragmata, Little Devils, etc... which have almost disappeared.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
How do you know? they are not revealing games years in advance like they used to,so games coming out next year won't be shown until the end of the year

Based off what they’ve both shown obviously.

When Sony manages to show some cool shit I’ll say they’ve shown some cool shit. Until then Microsoft has a much more exciting lineup.

Last edited:
Top Bottom