• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pushsquare, “Reaction: PS5 Livestreams Are No Longer Speaking to the Fans Who Built the Brand”

bitbydeath

Gold Member
So someone else used it the wrong way too. Gears was a third party exclusive just like rise of the ronin. When Sony buys the IP from koei than it will be 1p like gears is rn.

Acktually,
Rise of Ronin was co-developed by XDev, a Sony first party studio.

That’d be like claiming Halo Infinite was 3rd party because Certain Affinity collaborated on it with 343. :messenger_winking:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
PS3 and PS4 era Sony had a bunch of defacto japanese exclusives like Persona, Falcom games, Disgaea, Yakuza, Drakengard, etc. This kept a lot of PC gamers buying Sony consoles.

Those days are now long gone. Sony’s first party output is not much different from Ubisoft or any other big western AAA publisher and the games all come to Steam anyway. Not really all that enticing of a proposition IMO.

I think part of the reason is because they get better cuts on PC.

If their games sold beyond $50m on Steam, they pay only 20% to Steam thereafter. Vs 30% to Playstation no matter how well they sell.

So there’s some incentives to reaching $50m on Steam than on Playstation.

Also they can make special arrangement with 3rd party PC key sellers like Fanatical or Humble Bundle, while bypassing Steam 30% cut.

Damigos

Sony should not try to do what MS is doing with every game everywhere and live service everywhere. Each company should be distinct and double down on what has actually worked for them.
Single player 3rd person narrative focused high production games were their bread and butter.
I dont see many of those coming our way, and that is concerning for people like me who have invested on Sony since PS1

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Each company should be distinct and double down on what has actually worked for them.
Single player 3rd person narrative focused high production games were their bread and butter.
In reality, Sony got to where it's at because they have a history of reading the market and adjusting to it better than their competition. Doing the same thing repeatedly is what gets you passed. The 3rd person narrative stuff that PlayStation excelled in really only started in the middle of the PS3 generation. The PS1 and PS2 were uber successful for entirely different reasons.

Damigos

In reality, Sony got to where it's at because they have a history of reading the market and adjusting to it better than their competition. Doing the same thing repeatedly is what gets you passed. The 3rd person narrative stuff that PlayStation excelled in really only started in the middle of the PS3 generation. The PS1 and PS2 were uber successful for entirely different reasons.
The middle of the PS3 era was 15 years ago. This is enough time for a company to be established as eg a 3rd person, narrative heavy, game maker.
From my experience when you try to do everything right, you end up do nothing right. By Focusing on VR, on PC ports, on live service games, on the pro model, on the new handheld, on 3rd person narrative games etc etc you end up doing nothing right. Especially for a company not worth 3 trillion

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The middle of the PS3 era was 15 years ago. This is enough time for a company to be established as eg a 3rd person, narrative heavy, game maker.
From my experience when you try to do everything right, you end up do nothing right. By Focusing on VR, on PC ports, on live service games, on the pro model, on the new handheld, on 3rd person narrative games etc etc you end up doing nothing right. Especially for a company not worth 3 trillion
15 years is not a huge percentage of time for a company founded in 1946 that specialized in making rice cookers.

Plus, we just saw a Live Service, gameplay focused game become PlayStation Studios fastest selling game of all time.

It's about feeling the wind and adjusting your sails. Locking in to what was popular in 2014 doesn't seem like solid strategy.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Sony is experienced in online multiplayer though.
Ever since Socom.

PS3 had a lot of great multiplayer modes in various PS 1st party games, as well as great multiplayer-only games.
It's just that they've put emphasis on sp last-gen.

Now, they are just going back to what they've done before, provide both sp and multiplayer games.
Which makes a lot of sense, as we've witnessed online functionality become what it is today.

They wouldn't do anything different from the PS3-era, they're just picking up where they were lacking last-gen.
Only now all games that rely on multiplayer are called Gaas, but for some reason people think it's an entirely foreign concept to Playstation.

Damigos

15 years is not a huge percentage of time for a company founded in 1946 that specialized in making rice cookers.

Plus, we just saw a Live Service, gameplay focused game become PlayStation Studios fastest selling game of all time.

It's about feeling the wind and adjusting your sails. Locking in to what was popular in 2014 doesn't seem like solid strategy.
It would be a solid strategy for me but i am the minority now i guess

Damigos

Sony is experienced in online multiplayer though.
Ever since Socom.

PS3 had a lot of great multiplayer modes in various PS 1st party games, as well as great multiplayer-only games.
It's just that they've put emphasis on sp last-gen.

Now, they are just going back to what they've done before, provide both sp and multiplayer games.
Which makes a lot of sense, as we've witnessed online functionality become what it is today.

They wouldn't do anything different from the PS3-era, they're just picking up where they were lacking last-gen.
Only now all games that rely on multiplayer are called Gaas, but for some reason people think it's an entirely foreign concept to Playstation.
You re absolutely right. Its not multiplayer i hate, its live service microdlcs season pass etc things that i despise. Times have changed though, and so must I :)

Del_X

The entitlement of being serviced or treated special for buying a fucking plastic game box is unreal. Imagine just taking a video game and experiencing it based on its own merits.

Top Bottom