• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | March 2015

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Been playing Majora's Mask on my days off and Danganronpa 2 during the work week.

This version of MM is incredible.

Nope. They just want everyone to use PS Now for everything, despite the fact that it's not available everywhere, and even when it is, for some people with substandard internet (like me) it will never be an option.
The why aren't PS1/2 Classics on PS Now? It would sweeten the pot for monthly subscribers, at the very least.

No, I still hope the emulated games are coming. I tend to agree with TapTap that it's a matter of Sony's software team moving at a glacial pace. I believe!!

The why aren't PS1/2 Classics on PS Now? It would sweeten the pot for monthly subscribers, at the very least.

No, I still hope the emulated games are coming. I tend to agree with TapTap that it's a matter of Sony's software team moving at a glacial pace. I believe!!

I remember them saying that Ps2 games will come later. Right now they want to focus on Ps3 games.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Biggest problem with the PS4 being so successful is that they have absolutely no reason to rush any consumer friendly improvements out. They know they've won the generation and are trying to do it at the same time they're trying to cut costs.

Even the Vita, an absolute disaster, got a decent amount of much needed feature improvements at a steady pace.

CAFBDxpU8AA49LG.png:large

From 1 to 10, how not interested are you?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I just don't get the appeal at all on handhelds for physical. The cases aren't pretty, the manuals are practically nonexistent, the game cards are tiny.

I guess the boxes are better than the ugly as sin PSP cases.

kevin1025

Banned
Question! Since we're in the middle of the Spring Fever sale/indie game thing, are other sales still possible, or will it only be the franchises that were listed for every week?

RK128

Been playing Majora's Mask on my days off and Danganronpa 2 during the work week.

This version of MM is incredible.

I know what you mean man :'). Great remastered visuals, great gameplay fixes via the OoT3D features (gyro aiming, touch screen items, touch screen map, ect), the mask mechanic being fantastic (love the transformation ones) and the dark story is one of Zelda's best :). I love this game and it is right up their with some of my all time favorite games (with others alongside it being Jak 3, Ratchet 3, Sonic Generations, and so on).

Glad you are loving the game Man God, it is just one of the 3DS's best games as of now :D.

Question! Since we're in the middle of the Spring Fever sale/indie game thing, are other sales still possible, or will it only be the franchises that were listed for every week?

I think their can be sales, such as a Golden Week one sometime next month or a flash PS1 sale down the line. But as of right now, I think the sales are limited to Indie PS+ discounts and the franchise sales every week. Got a lot from the last Golden Week sale last year (Persona 4 Golden and Maramusa Rebirth), so hoping more games land on that (Neptunia Rebirth 2 and the Miku games mainly for me; would love to get them for great prices :D).

mao2

Now with Dekamori Senran Kagura, my current physical vita games looks like this.

PC5fa4g.jpg

I really have to buy DR1 and 2, lol.
That's a nice collection you have there. BTW What happened to you Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus box? Mine's beaten-up too, though not as bad as yours. Thanks postman! :/

Cha

I just don't get the appeal at all on handhelds for physical. The cases aren't pretty, the manuals are practically nonexistent, the game cards are tiny.

I guess the boxes are better than the ugly as sin PSP cases.

I like the vita cases. But more importantly, with physical you get to do this.
iHZpWCAj2Q578.jpg

I am 50/50 with going physical with Vita games. More often than not, the Vita doesn't get its games on their release date. They always come a few days or even a week late... I go for digital a lot because of that.

Vylash

i can't really justify physical purchases at all honestly, digital is cheaper, more convenient, and i don't have a bunch of dumb boxes around my room

RK128

Regarding my retail vs. digital view, I find that my 3DS is more retail based (outside of E-Shop stuff) where's my Vita is digital focused mainly. I own a handful of retail games (Tearaway, Sly Collection, Hot Shots Golf, Lumines ES, Ys MoC, Ninja Giaden Sigma +) but everything else is strictly digital.

Many of my Vita games are from sales, PS+, or the very rare full price buy (PS1 games, R&C Collection, and SAO: Hallow Fragment); so I own a lot of games (if I counted, at least 180+ games XD!).

autoduelist

What say you VitaGaf? (I'm readying my shield for the incoming bash of hateful messages for never having played the game).

Sounds like you already got a copy. You should also buy it next time it goes on sale so you can keep the bubble on your vita next to the one for Chrono Cross.

Nope. They just want everyone to use PS Now for everything, despite the fact that it's not available everywhere, and even when it is, for some people with substandard internet (like me) it will never be an option.

Doesn't pass the sniff test. They make money off people buying Classics too, and there's no reason not to have both since they are effectively different markets.

I don't think even think it's a matter of their software team moving at a glacial pace. I think it's purely an issue of timing. For example, you wouldn't want to have PS1/PS2 Classics on the PS4 at launch because it would have taken the focus off of native games in the storefront and filled many people's libraries with potentially dozens of 'already owned' games. It would also have required development of non-mission critical firmware features, which is a huge no-no for a critical product launch.

So once you decide against launching with it, it simply becomes a matter of 'when'? Year 2 sounds good to me... announcing at E3 or Gamescom, and coming in fall alongside a big firmware update (store/library changes required).

That's how I'd do it if I were sony, at least. I wouldn't be surprised if they had them up and running on dev ps4s at sony hq right now.

I go physical because nine times out of ten, mem card space is an issue. And I still can't afford a 64 GB card.

Same here. I haven't been able to justify any card above 16 GB.

Other advantages: the recent Best Buy sale allowed me to get Dragon's Crown for half its lowest sale price on PSN, as well as UMvC3 which can no longer be bought digitally.

kevin1025

Banned
I think their can be sales, such as a Golden Week one sometime next month or a flash PS1 sale down the line. But as of right now, I think the sales are limited to Indie PS+ discounts and the franchise sales every week. Got a lot from the last Golden Week sale last year (Persona 4 Golden and Maramusa Rebirth), so hoping more games land on that (Neptunia Rebirth 2 and the Miku games mainly for me; would love to get them for great prices :D).

Yeah, Golden Week is the one I'm looking forward to most, as well! I'm holding out for Danganronpa 2 and the new Ys (though the new $19.99 is already tempting). But yeah, I'm waiting for another Telltale sale so I can pick up The Wolf Among Us on PS4.

Cha

Simple but dirty. Trade accounts.

Ah yes. I thought that might be it.

I go physical because nine times out of ten, mem card space is an issue. And I still can't afford a 64 GB card.

I'm also in the 16GB club. But recently, I am feeling the space issue. Will probably cave and import a 64GB sometime this year. Even though I prefer physical, those psn sales are my weakspot (plus more and more games are digital only).

Khronico

I'm also in the 16GB club. But recently, I am feeling the space issue. Will probably cave and import a 64GB sometime this year. Even though I prefer physical, those psn sales are my weakspot (plus more and more games are digital only).

*raises hand* 16gb here too. I've managed to survive so far but I'm always running pretty low on space. I prefer having physical versions when it comes to consoles/handhelds anyways so I'll be fine for the near future.

bobawesome

Jesus Christ, Playstation Customer Support is fucking worthless. The goddamn Vita hasn't even been out a fucking year in the US yet and yet I can't send in my system without being penalized $70 for something that could've been prevented with better quality control.

bryanee

I can't login to the uk psn webstore. My email and pass are correcr but sign in keeps failing. Anyone else with this issue?

Jesus Christ, Playstation Customer Support is fucking worthless. The goddamn Vita hasn't even been out a fucking year in the US yet and yet I can't send in my system without being penalized $70 for something that could've been prevented with better quality control.

Really? I have only dealt with CS a couple of times, and they were all helpful. I am surprised about the $70 thing. When I sent mine in it was free, though I did get it in May and sent it in October.

Sounds like you already got a copy. You should also buy it next time it goes on sale so you can keep the bubble on your vita next to the one for Chrono Cross.

How is Chrono Cross? Whenever I go online, I only see people talking about Trigger, hence why I feel like I should play it as a core gamer, many call it the greatest RPG of all time. Does Cross suffer from "sequel syndrome"?

So I tried the free trial of Playstation Now because I was curious how well it ran...I canceled the automatic renewal right away, at least I thought I did, but today I got an email saying this:

We hope you enjoyed your free trial to PlayStation®Now. Your subscription will automatically renew on 15-MAR-2015 and you will be charged 44.99 at that time.

You can view the details of your subscription or change your auto-renewal settings at any time. On your PS4™ go to [Settings] > [PSN] > [Account Information] > [Services List]. After selecting the subscription you want to cancel, select [Cancel Automatic Renewal].

So I go back on my PS4 and check and see if I didn't cancel it after all... I go there and it says "restart automatical renewal" so I assume it's still in a canceled state, but I don't know if I should believe that or this email. Ugh.

So I tried the free trial of Playstation Now because I was curious how well it ran...I canceled the automatic renewal right away, at least I thought I did, but today I got an email saying this:

So I go back on my PS4 and check and see if I didn't cancel it after all... I go there and it says "restart automatical renewal" so I assume it's still in a canceled state, but I don't know if I should believe that or this email. Ugh.

I got the same email. They send it out no matter what. Then later you might get an email saying they could not process payment or something.

Though I recommend you check your account online.

How is Chrono Cross? Whenever I go online, I only see people talking about Trigger, hence why I feel like I should play it as a core gamer, many call it the greatest RPG of all time. Does Cross suffer from "sequel syndrome"?

I thought Chrono Cross was awesome, but it could be because I played it before Trigger. My only problem was that there were too many playable characters.

incpdo

For future reference Chrono Trigger is definitely in the category of game good enough that playing an inferior version is still well worth the time if you have no other option.

MGS 3D Snake Eater is another one I'd put in this category. It also has some pluses to balance against its many flaws but the core game is so good that it doesn't really matter.

Final Fantasy VI PSX is another great example. It's the worst version of the game but the game is so good and the flaws aren't game breaking.

Final Fantasy V PSX, however, is in fact bad enough to ruin what is otherwise a great game. It's just too inferior.

I used to have mgs3d and its by far the worst metal gear port of 3 . performance reaches the 10-15 fps some times. God. In this case in particular performance really bothers and I'm not a guy that expects every game at 60fps.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It also looks incredible in some places; when the 3D works it works. Some of the additions are really nice too like the crouch walking and the photo camo system. Too bad it doesn't look like the demo did the whole time.

Christian

All right, VitaBros, I need guidance. I have about $23 in credit. I haven't gotten anything since early January. I'm looking at La Mulana, Grim Fandango, Oreshika, and Hotline Miami 2. What's the consensus?

Got a question about pre-loads on PS4.

I bought Bloodborne the other day and tonight I thought I'd see if the game icon had appeared on PS4 (it hasn't yet). Anyway, I went to the LIBRARY and selected Bloodborne. From there I selected the countdown timer and there was an option for SET AUTO-DOWNLOAD. I selected that, and only the digital bonus item was selected, the game itself wasn't! Unless that is because the game isn't preloadable yet, that might explain why Destiny didn't work back last year.

Does anyone know if you have to do that for each pre-order on PS4? Or should it do that itself and I've missed a menu selection somewhere? I have Auto Downloads and Uploads checked etc and leave the PS4 in Rest Mode.

Anyway, does everyone have to check that Set Auto-Download with pre-order purchases?

batrush

All right, VitaBros, I need guidance. I have about $23 in credit. I haven't gotten anything since early January. I'm looking at La Mulana, Grim Fandango, Oreshika, and Hotline Miami 2. What's the consensus?

I recommend Hotline Miami 2 out of those. I would recommend Grim Fandango, but I have not tried the Vita version.

RK128

About each game:
-HM2 is more of what made the original such a fun game, so for 12-15 bucks, it isn't a bad deal :)
-La Mulana looks a lot like Splunky but from what I heard about the tittle from here, it seems to be more of a Metroidvanna-type game with elements from Splunky (mainly exploring ruins and stuff). Looks like fun and while it is pricey, seems to be worth it.
-Grim Fandango is a classic and while I don't own it, I heard that the Vita version uses the touch screen in addition to physical controls (so it can play more like the PC version if you want then :D). Looks to be a great version of a classic tittle.
-Oreshika is a JRPG and one of the very last first party tittles from Sony....and from I've seen of it, it looks like a fun game :D. Great art style, fun mechanics and interesting ansester system giving the game a lot of depth. Also, its nature as a JRPG also ensures that it will last quite a long while, so its budget price of 20 bucks is quite a steal :).

Hope this helps you Christan and I hope you enjoy whatever game you end up getting :D.

Got a question about pre-loads on PS4.

I bought Bloodborne the other day and tonight I thought I'd see if the game icon had appeared on PS4 (it hasn't yet). Anyway, I went to the LIBRARY and selected Bloodborne. From there I selected the countdown timer and there was an option for SET AUTO-DOWNLOAD. I selected that, and only the digital bonus item was selected, the game itself wasn't! Unless that is because the game isn't preloadable yet, that might explain why Destiny didn't work back last year.

Does anyone know if you have to do that for each pre-order on PS4? Or should it do that itself and I've missed a menu selection somewhere? I have Auto Downloads and Uploads checked etc and leave the PS4 in Rest Mode.

Anyway, does everyone have to check that Set Auto-Download with pre-order purchases?

If I am understanding the question, the problem is that Bloodborne is not downloading, right? The thing with Ps4 is that pre-load is only available the Sunday before it releases. Also, for my pre-loads I did not do anything, and they downloaded just fine when needed.

autoduelist

The consensus will be that you need to go pick up a $50 card and buy them all.

These games are so different it's really hard to pick one.

Personally I'd pick Oreshika, but... as long as you like each genre from both my experience and reading opinions you can't go wrong.

SerTapTap

Really loving Wolf Among Us (yes, just getting around to it) on PS4. Far too janky for what it is and what it's running on, but definitely not a dealbreaker. I do dislike the obvious impacts the episodic nature has on the story though. I wish they'd at least experiment with just making some titles that are ONLY a season. That's the only way I'll buy 'em anyway, by the season...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The more popular Telltale gets, the worse QA problems their games have. This is bad as they were never any good at it to begin with!

As much as I loved Tales from the Borderlands, I gotta admit their handling of that series just sucks. 4 months between episode 1 and 2... Jesus. I'm glad that it's coming next week, but how long is it gonna be until episode 3 now?? Even though I got the season pass I may not even play the episode until they give me a release window for the 3rd episode this time around.

Hikami

Done with Tales of Hearts R, man that was great. I feel like jumping in to another Tales game right away but need to actually finish P4G first.

Massa

The more popular Telltale gets, the worse QA problems their games have. This is bad as they were never any good at it to begin with!

Their problem is that the CTO was the president of the company and a pretty bad manager. He moved on now, so things should get better.

Christian

How's the music in Oreshika? I'm really interested, but I loved the first Hotline Miami and the soundtrack. I hear one of the HM2 trophies is glitched, which pisses me off, but I wouldn't mind listening to more of that music. But I'm REALLY a interested in Oreshika, too.

How's the music in Oreshika? I'm really interested, but I loved the first Hotline Miami and the soundtrack. I hear one of the HM2 trophies is glitched, which pisses me off, but I wouldn't mind listening to more of that music. But I'm REALLY a interested in Oreshika, too.

Really, really, reaaly Japanese, in the greatest way possible. Browse through the OST on youtube and you will see, you have some beautiful tracks in there!

kevin1025

Banned
As much as I loved Tales from the Borderlands, I gotta admit their handling of that series just sucks. 4 months between episode 1 and 2... Jesus. I'm glad that it's coming next week, but how long is it gonna be until episode 3 now?? Even though I got the season pass I may not even play the episode until they give me a release window for the 3rd episode this time around.

I don't blame you, it is super weird that Game of Thrones came out after and already had its second episode a month ago now, whereas Borderlands is just now coming. I guess they see Game of Thrones as the priority, which is unfortunate because personally I think Tales of the Borderlands was much better than the two Thrones so far.

I hate Telltale for the $44 February sales of PS4 The Telltale Games Collection because I bought Tales from the Borderlands day one.
Critics' choice Sale

I bought all of them (except for The Wolf Among Us) separately on PS4, so I'm with you. I remember it being $55 at one point, too, when it first released. If I'm not mistaken it came out a short time after the full-priced current seasons (Thrones and Borderlands) had their first releases, which is kind of crummy.

But the good news is that Telltale games go on sale A LOT, so what you're missing will be discounted soon enough.

Top Bottom