• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | March 2015

RK128

Even though I am playing on Easy, Noire is a ton of fun and it makes me want to go back to the Rebirth games for more. Although I know I am gonna hit that same wall that I did before and give up again /: does Rebirth 2 or 3 have the same difficulty hiccups that 1 does? I know you guys said on the PS3 it was worse, but even on the Vita, Rebirth 1 was pretty bad, at least at the start...

The difficulty spikes are rough for Rebirth 1 X(. At least on four occasions I got killed just from being either slightly under-leveled or from stupid battle conditions screwing you over (looking at you SP/Item/EXE Move blocker bot things X(). But, my advice from my 10 or so hours I played the game, I did the following and it made things a bit easier to tackle:

-Buy the DLC characters and level them up alongside the main cast
-Fight as many foes you can; you get lots of experience points and fill up the EXE Meter
-Do NOT use the EXE Meter unless you are in a main boss fight and give your party member who are going to use an EXE attack a Attack Buff; this from my time with the game, utterly trashes bosses in just a few turns :D!
-Fight the 'extra' monsters you encounter after playing through the dungeon they are in; you get a lot of EXP points and also can complete very helpful quests
-Talk to everyone on the hub map, use the Disk system for really helpful buffs for the characters, make item/weapon/dungeon plans whenever you get the chance, and always have a high stock of items.
-Get the free item DLC's; they give you easy access to very pricey and rare items
-Always keep an eye on your party's levels and keep a sharp eye on your menus; you might get a new command to use or a new partner/party member and forget about it.

Hope this helps if you ever give the Rebirth series another chance Names :).

From what Sir TapTap told me, Rebirth 2 fixes the level/difficulty balance by a lot compared to Rebirth 1, so that should be the easier of the two games :).

Edit: Also, from the footage of Rebirth 2, the main cast of CPU's become party members latter in the game (don't know how much latter, but it should be after you convince the CPU sisters in Lowee to help you out or something). So, they do come back into the picture latter in the game :).

The difficulty spikes are rough for Rebirth 1 X(. At least on four occasions I got killed just from being either slightly under-leveled or from stupid battle conditions screwing you over (looking at you SP/Item/EXE Move blocker bot things X(). But, my advice from my 10 or so hours I played the game, I did the following and it made things a bit easier to tackle:

-Buy the DLC characters and level them up alongside the main cast
-Fight as many foes you can; you get lots of experience points and fill up the EXE Meter
-Do NOT use the EXE Meter unless you are in a main boss fight and give your party member who are going to use an EXE attack a Attack Buff; this from my time with the game, utterly trashes bosses in just a few turns :D!
-Fight the 'extra' monsters you encounter after playing through the dungeon they are in; you get a lot of EXP points and also can complete very helpful quests
-Talk to everyone on the hub map, use the Disk system for really helpful buffs for the characters, make item/weapon/dungeon plans whenever you get the chance, and always have a high stock of items.
-Get the free item DLC's; they give you easy access to very pricey and rare items
-Always keep an eye on your party's levels and keep a sharp eye on your menus; you might get a new command to use or a new partner/party member and forget about it.

Hope this helps if you ever give the Rebirth series another chance Names :).

From what Sir TapTap told me, Rebirth 2 fixes the level/difficulty balance by a lot compared to Rebirth 1, so that should be the easier of the two games :).

Rebirth 1 just requires way too much grind for the time that I have to play (and patience too, let's throw that in there as well). I am loving Noire on Easy, even though I wish it was just a bit tougher, there are situations in which I actually get in a pinch and need to think quick, but nothing that requires me to go to previous levels to power level any characters

RK128

Rebirth 1 just requires way too much grind for the time that I have to play (and patience too, let's throw that in there as well). I am loving Noire on Easy, even though I wish it was just a bit tougher, there are situations in which I actually get in a pinch and need to think quick, but nothing that requires me to go to previous levels to power level any characters

Sorry about that Names :(. I am a bit irked by the difficulty myself, but the character interactions, the bright visuals and the interesting combat system is still keeping me going in playing the game. I say put another hour or two into if you have the time; if things click with you, then you are in for a funny JRPG :D. If not, you can always check out Rebirth 2 or 3 latter on after you play through more games.

Sorry about that Names :(. I am a bit irked by the difficulty myself, but the character interactions, the bright visuals and the interesting combat system is still keeping me going in playing the game. I say put another hour or two into if you have the time; if things click with you, then you are in for a funny JRPG :D. If not, you can always check out Rebirth 2 or 3 latter on after you play through more games.

It's less of a time issue and more of a memory one now LOL. I only have an 8GB card which means I can only play a handful of games at a time

RK128

It's less of a time issue and more of a memory one now LOL. I only have an 8GB card which means I can only play a handful of games at a time

Only a 8GB card?! Man, I remember when I had just that; held a lot of games, but still, it was a bit of a pain switching between games and whatnot.

Like I said, if you have the time, it is worth it to give Rebirth 1 another shot :D. Good luck getting through all your games dude; this month is packed with quality games XD!

Only a 8GB card?! Man, I remember when I had just that; held a lot of games, but still, it was a bit of a pain switching between games and whatnot.

Like I said, if you have the time, it is worth it to give Rebirth 1 another shot :D. Good luck getting through all your games dude; this month is packed with quality games XD!

Wait what
Tis the truth.

And yeah, Chrono Trigger is on the way, Type-0 is out on Tuesday. I also wanna keep playing Noire until I finish the story, so there's that too. These are only for next week, let's not even talk about the weeks coming up next, with Bloodborne (which I am very close to cancelling) and Axiom Verge. Thankfully April seems to be pretty clear, and May only has a game or two that I MAY buy. Of course, there might be some announcements between now and then, so I'll just stay quiet aha.

Tohsaka

Nippon Yasan has a 64gb Vita card on sale for $77, is that legit? I've only seen them for 90ish.

I've ordered from them before, should be fine. They sometimes take a while to ship things out, though.

What I'm looking for is a decent price on a 32. I'll likely never fill a 64.

I bought one on eBay for $52 a few weeks ago, my 16GB from launch was finally full since I usually buy everything physical if possible.

autoduelist

I almost never screenshot my vita, but simply had to during the opening of Oreshika... the birds flying across the orange screen were just so beautiful and I was going to use it as a background on one of my pages.

And... they disabled screenshots... all for some custom thing that requires twitter or facebook. i don't have either. that sucks.

game is still awesome so far though.

v1perz53

What I'm looking for is a decent price on a 32. I'll likely never fill a 64.

Not that I need every PS+ game I've ever downloaded on my card at once, but the total size of my PS+ games alone is far greater than 64 GB. It was worth it for me because I am the type that doesn't necessarily decide what I want to play ahead of time, more often I turn on my system and scroll around until something strikes my fancy. Or I decide that I want to play a quick game of that roguelike/score attack type game like Spelunky or OlliOlli. So it is really nice having a ton of things installed at once. I can certainly see though that someone who decides they want to play X game, downloads and installs it, and plays it to completion wouldn't need anything bigger than a 32. Myself, I would gladly pay $150 for a 128 GB card, because it would be worth it to me. Well, not gladly, but I would find that price acceptable for the convenience it would offer me.

Comes back to the discussion before about whether or not you play one game at a time or multiple. I am squarely in the multiple concurrent games group (though generally only one at a time of each genre, like one RPG, one action, etc.)

Shizuka

I almost never screenshot my vita, but simply had to during the opening of Oreshika... the birds flying across the orange screen were just so beautiful and I was going to use it as a background on one of my pages.

And... they disabled screenshots... all for some custom thing that requires twitter or facebook. i don't have either. that sucks.

game is still awesome so far though.

When you click the camera icon, while it tries to let you share the screenshot through Twitter or Facebook, it saves the screenshot to your photo album automatically.

v1perz53

I left my Vita on standby for a week, and its battery indicator is still showing full charge. Not bad.

Vita standby mode is some kind of sorcery or something. Longest I've had mine on standby was three weeks during a school break where I forgot to bring mine, and it was still full on returning. Mid game and everything. Really makes it difficult to play things on my 3DS because I forget I cant just close the lid and I come back a few hours later to low battery.

ZeroAKA

Were this the n3DS and it would have been done in a few hours. The Vita puts a lot of device's standby feature to shame.
Vita standby mode is some kind of sorcery or something. Longest I've had mine on standby was three weeks during a school break where I forgot to bring mine, and it was still full on returning. Mid game and everything. Really makes it difficult to play things on my 3DS because I forget I cant just close the lid and I come back a few hours later to low battery.
I tried standby on my N3DS once when I first got it. I never used it again after that.

I don't think I've ever turned off my vita since i bought it tbh... It's quite handy specially when those "Login before 8AM if you plan on going online while we are in maintenance" messages from PSN pop up. I don't even worry about it because my Vita is at home connected to the wifi at all times aha.

Shizuka

I don't think I've ever turned off my vita since i bought it tbh... It's quite handy specially when those "Login before 8AM if you plan on going online while we are in maintenance" messages from PSN pop up. I don't even worry about it because my Vita is at home connected to the wifi at all times aha.

Wow, I can't go to bed without turning mine off. Whenever I'm not playing it, I turn it off.

v1perz53

Wow, I can't go to bed without turning mine off. Whenever I'm not playing it, I turn it off.

Hah yea, I haven't turned off my Vita 2000 since the day I bought it when it launched, and I had my Vita 1000 on for at least a full year without ever powering it down before getting the 2000. To me, it's like my phone, I never turn that off either unless it turns itself off for an update or something. Certainly never had any problems or battery loss because of it. Actually, to be honest I basically never turn anything off except my consoles. My laptop has been on for probably a year and a half with me closing the lid when it isn't in use and my desktop has been on since I plugged it in. I guess I just hate turning things on.

maouvin

I reboot my 2000 maybe once every three months, just because. But other than for that brief moment, it's always on. It's just too conveninent simply picking it up and playing something.

But my OLED is kept turned off, as I only use it to check on JP demos.

Chuy

I generally keep my vita off when it's not in use except for this recent instance of keeping it in standby mode since last week until i played it today. Still was completely charged which was astounding to me.

So question for Persona peeps here:What would you recommend first for someone new to the series Persona 4 Golden or Persona 3? I plan on leading a friend my Playstation TV so he can try the series out but i'm unsure on which he should try first.

Are you one of those people that shut their phone off at night too Shizuka? It's been the same way as with my phone, I can't help it if the battery dies, but I never actually turn the device off myself.
I generally keep my vita off when it's not in use except for this recent instance of keeping it in standby mode since last week until i played it today. Still was completely charged which was astounding to me.

So question for Persona peeps here:What would you recommend first for someone new to the series Persona 4 Golden or Persona 3? I plan on leading a friend my Playstation TV so he can try the series out but i'm unsure on which he should try first.
Persona 3 for the better story
highly debatable
. Now seriously, Persona 3 because although I don't personally like 4 as much as 3, the gameplay improvements are so enormous, that you wouldn't be able to appreciate 3 as much without drawing gameplay comparisons.

SerTapTap

Why would anyone turn off their Vita? Have you noticed this thing's standby battery life? It's amazing. It's not some smartphone or 3DS.

^ Pretty sure just turning off the screen allows it to (slowly) charge off of plain USB
I see, my catalogue is gonna be a bit busy for the next few weeks as you know, but it is conforting to know that Victory didn't have any difficulty issues. Since that comes later on I am gonna order Rebirth 3 and play that. 2 seems to take away the CPUs and use their sisters instead as MCs, and after watching a bit of footage on youtube, to be honest, I am not as much of a fan of them as I am of the main cast. So Rebirth 3 and U, are gonna be preordered and played accordingly :p

Aside from Ram the Candidate cast is quite good IMO. Rom is okay, Uni and Nepgear are great, as is Histoire who plays a fair role. Also the original cast does eventually show up. Also the Chirper events are hilarious, way better than reb 1 IMO

I turn the Vita off once every few weeks when bubbles start loading more sluggishly than usual, or when the wi-fi starts misbehaving for some reason.

Chuy

Persona 3 for the better story
highly debatable
. Now seriously, Persona 3 because although I don't personally like 4 as much as 3, the gameplay improvements are so enormous, that you wouldn't be able to appreciate 3 as much without drawing gameplay comparisons.
I see. Which version of Persona 3 would you recommend then? He has a PS2 as well fortunately so he's not limited to P3P

jzbluz

I can't be bothered to turn off my vita; the only times I have turned it off is when I'm changing my memory card. Heck, I'm lazy enough that I sometimes leave my 3ds on (charging) for days. The only things I can't stand to leave on is my laptop and that's because it's too noisy.

I see. Which version of Persona 3 would you recommend then? He has a PS2 as well fortunately so he's not limited to P3P
There are pros and con's to each version.

PS2 Pros:
- Cutscenes
- 3D city gameplay
- You get to play on a big screen
- FES comes with a prologue if you are interested ( tough and grindy though)
Con's:
- AI isn't controlled by you in battle.
- 4:3 (this could be a con to some I guess)
- Limited to male route

PSP Pros:
- Female route also available (plot changes quite a bit, also it comes with its own set of sound tracks too)
- Features from vanilla P4 implemented, better balancing
- Controllable AI in battle
- Portability
- Added content for the main game
Cons:
- No cut scenes, stills are used instead
- No prologue
- No 3D roaming in the city, it is instead point and click
- Not on a big screen?

These are the major points that come to mind. Pick your poison :p

Aside from Ram the Candidate cast is quite good IMO. Rom is okay, Uni and Nepgear are great, as is Histoire who plays a fair role. Also the original cast does eventually show up. Also the Chirper events are hilarious, way better than reb 1 IMO
Interesting... If it goes on sale I might actually buy it. As long as there's no grinding like in Reb1, I'm in lol!

Vylash

Why would anyone turn off their Vita? Have you noticed this thing's standby battery life? It's amazing. It's not some smartphone or 3DS.

^ Pretty sure just turning off the screen allows it to (slowly) charge off of plain USB

sickening

Garraboa

I'm not used to letting my portables on standby mode. Even if it's just for attending the door or a short trip to the store, I turn them off. Especially with Sony trying to scare me telling me that the Vita WILL overheat if kept inside a pouch in SM.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't know what is wrong with your n3DS. Mine goes 48 hours on standby with wifi on and twice that with it off. It's no Vita which can go two weeks easy but its not useless by any means.

I don't know what is wrong with your n3DS. Mine goes 48 hours on standby with wifi on and twice that with it off. It's no Vita which can go two weeks easy but its not useless by any means.
I don't know, all I know is that one day of me carrying it to school for street passes is enough for me to get home and have to charge it. Also needless to say, is that the standby on the n3DS isn't safe at all for your games... At least the Vita preserves your state when you charge it, the n3DS on the other hand... I like the system don't get me wrong, but I feel like it's something that they could have improved on, this being the "New" model and all /:

autoduelist

When you click the camera icon, while it tries to let you share the screenshot through Twitter or Facebook, it saves the screenshot to your photo album automatically.

Oh. Awesome. Will need to look into this, I wish they made that clearer.

I sold my 3dsxl because I couldn't handle the battery power issue. Every time I went to play it the battery would be dead, so I'd plug it in and end up playing my vita while it was charging and lose interest in the 3ds. I'd eventually beat whatever vita game that was, start playing the 3ds, and after a session run into the same problem and go back to vita again. It's a shame, there are some drpgs i really want to play on it, but it is what it is.

I never, ever turn it off unless there are firmware updates. The thought would never even cross my mind.

You need a nun with a ruler to rid you of this terrible habit. You're missing out on one of the Vita's most glorious features, a suspend/resume mode that puts most other devices to shame.

It's a thing of beauty instantly having your game exactly where you left it, any guide pages on the web already loaded in another 'tab', your trophies or messages open, etc.

Rigalo

Downloaded the Racthet and Clank Collection on the Vita earlier... Looks rougher than I wanted it to :(

The cutscenes are downright awful. Oh well.

Chuy

There are pros and con's to each version.

PS2 Pros:
- Cutscenes
- 3D city gameplay
- You get to play on a big screen
- FES comes with a prologue if you are interested ( tough and grindy though)
Con's:
- AI isn't controlled by you in battle.
- 4:3 (this could be a con to some I guess)
- Limited to male route

PSP Pros:
- Female route also available (plot changes quite a bit, also it comes with its own set of sound tracks too)
- Features from vanilla P4 implemented, better balancing
- Controllable AI in battle
- Portability
- Added content for the main game
Cons:
- No cut scenes, stills are used instead
- No prologue
- No 3D roaming in the city, it is instead point and click
- Not on a big screen?

These are the major points that come to mind. Pick your poison :p
Thanks for that info! I'll pass this onto my friend and i'll let him weight the pros and cons

v1perz53

For me, I was talking about closing the lid with a game fully running (trying to mimic the vita's suspend mode). I get 6-8 hours max that way. If I hold the power button first to close all software, then close the lid I get maybe 24 hours, but what is even the point of that? It closes the game and still uses a chunk of battery. If I am going to have to close the game anyway, I'll just turn the damn thing off.

I sold my 3dsxl because I couldn't handle the battery power issue. Every time I went to play it the battery would be dead, so I'd plug it in and end up playing my vita while it was charging and lose interest in the 3ds. I'd eventually beat whatever vita game that was, start playing the 3ds, and after a session run into the same problem and go back to vita again. It's a shame, there are some drpgs i really want to play on it, but it is what it is.

I ended up buying a dock for my 3DS XL because of this. Basically every second I wasn't playing it I set it in the dock so that the battery wouldn't drain in standby mode. Probably had a negative impact on the battery being constantly charged, but the 3DS batter was pretty bad already and I didn't notice it getting noticeably worse. Only way I was able to put up with it. Vita spoiled me. Benefit of the 3DS docks (normal, XL and new XL) is that you just place the system in, no actual plug to line up, so at least that was pretty hassle free.

Zephyx

Done with Tales of Hearts R, man that was great. I feel like jumping in to another Tales game right away but need to actually finish P4G first.

It was a great ride. Really enjoyed it. I'm almost done with the game save for the post game boss which is out of my reach at the moment. Hoping they do another game of this quality for the Vita or Oreshika is at least on par since it's next in my list.

Top Bottom