• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | March 2015

Tohsaka

Just got an e-mail from Play-Asia that the Asian version of Moero Chronicle has been delayed until next month. I don't really mind too much, since this month is packed anyway.

autoduelist

Glad that people like you are the minority or we might get more abominations like P3Ps menu based bullshit.

I wish more people realized that having to run up to every single NPC every chapter and tap through some meaningless dialog in hopes it might have changed to give them a quest is terrible design.

There are some easy fixes:
1) Put exclamation points over all characters with new things to say.
2) Color code #1 to indicate characters have either dialog, rewards, or quests.
3) Remove all chests from NPC houses. Stop making me steal from the people being nice to me.

But ultimately all towns, even the ones you run around, are just glorified menus. It's just that you need to spend 10 or 20 seconds (or more) running from the 'armor store' to the 'weapon store' rather than simply hitting the down button once. There are fixed options (stores, quest givers, dialog/background flavor, etc) on a visual / movement based menu. Rather than hitting 'down' once to get to the next option, you're using an analog stick to run to it.

I realize this is a bit dismissive of the 'immersion' of running around town, but i'm just stating it because it's also important to recognize. Adding run time between options is just that. If some players achieve immersion though that, fantastic for them, but it's not hard to understand that others might just want to get to the point.

Likewise, I understand that some people like to chat with everyone in town. It would help, though, if more games had far superior dialog. In most games, it's just some brain dead text that echos your current quest:

ie, if your next goal is clearing a haunted house, you might talk to the lady by the well and get:
"Did you hear the house on the hill was haunted?"
click x
"So scary!"
click x
"I hope someone does something about it."
click x

I'm sure some games do it better than others. But many do it terribly, so it's also hopefully easy to understand why it could get annoying.

Ultimately, every time I hit a town in games like that, I sigh because I know I'm about to spend an hour exploring every nook and cranny, talking to everyone, and at the end of it I might have 2 health potions, 300 gold, and 2 quests to show for it.

However, this would really hurt the sense of the world for me. P4G felt more alive than P3P by far, even if that life made it far more tedious. I don't know what I actually want more. I also agree that the minigame of "talk to every villager, check every set of drawers" in RPGs is a load of shit, but I'm not really sure how you could get around that without killing how alive the world feels.

It would go far to do some of the things I suggested.

It's hard to fix. The more you make it 'lively' the more tedious it becomes -- for example, having villagers walk around and do their daily thing (go to work, go to bed, etc) the more you then have to do extra stuff just to talk to them. That is, it sounds cool on paper until you realize you now don't know where the people are and need to spend more time chasing them down. Iirc, dqviii had some of that that in a simple way -- people went to bed at night and everything closed. Cool, that adds immersion. But from a gameplay perspective, that just means whenever i need to talk to people i have to go run to an inn first and sleep till morning.

i don't really have a solution -- perhaps jrpgs could learn a bit from the open world games? That is, in an open world game you effectively know nothing matters unless you hit the next 'event icon'. npcs do their thing, but if they have a quest they're marked. You see people running around and living and existing. But all 'key information' will be given to you when you hit the next 'event' icon. I'm not saying it needs to be exactly like that, but perhaps something can be learned from it. I shouldn't need to go talk to the kid sitting in his bedroom 'just in case' he has something vital to say.

By making both available at the same time. You could freely move around in GUST's games, but they also leave a choice to open up a menu and instantly jump to your desired direction. You also don't need to rampage into people's house for loot since there is nothing.

The solution shouldn't always be "remove anything I don't like".

Quick travel is almost always nice. i don't necessarily agree with your second sentence though -- some game elements are boring/bland/bad. I wasn't saying 'remove it all', i was saying i wish more/all games did so. And I do. i don't need to hide behind that... it's silly to mince words when it's perfectly true that i wish I never had to search another villager's house for chests, ever.

I didn't think I wanted menu based towns until I tried them. I still appreciate PSX Final Fantasy towns but for the most part running around like a dumbass isn't enjoyable. Freedom Wars did it very well though, I wish all JRPGs did that. Free roam if you want, fast travel if you don't, and also current objective markers right on the fast travel so you can zip right to the story.

If there's two things almost every JRPG should have IMO, it's that system and the visual novel style pause/auto advance/rewind/skip dialog system. Also ideally the VN style "save ANYWHERE, even mid conversation" thing.

agreed with all of the above. FW got a lot of that right.

Benedict

OK, this is a first...
Got this message on Vita When trying to play Titan Attacks!:
"There is not enough space to save trophy information. Trophy information for the following application will be deleted. Do you want to continue?
Ecolibrium
* This trophy information is not saved on the server."
____
If I press no, I get:
!
Could not prepare the application to start.

OK, this is a first...
Got this message on Vita When trying to play Titan Attacks!:
"There is not enough space to save trophy information. Trophy information for the following application will be deleted. Do you want to continue?
Ecolibrium
* This trophy information is not saved on the server."
____
If I press no, I get:
!
Could not prepare the application to start.
Never heard of this one, but it isn't rare to hear of people complaining about bugs in that game

antibolo

Banned
Re: P3FES vs. P3P

P3P is portable, P3FES isn't.

For me this was an easy choice. I had absolutely no interest in playing a non-portable version when a portable version exists.

Vylash

I wish all towns were menu based in pretty much every jrpg ever. Running around looking for people to talk to every dang chapter (in case they have something new to say) and robbing the crates in their bedrooms has always been one of my least favorite things in every game ever. So much wasted time running around. Direct menu to every point of interest, please and thank you.

oh god no, please no, you can't make any interesting worlds like this

v1perz53

So I've become scary addicted to Luftrausers. Send help.

I played so much of this game when I got it, absolutely loved it. Was crestfallen to find out that the very last mission was glitched and I could never get it or the last two trophies. I think Vlambeer said they were probably never going to patch this, does anyone know if it is still glitched or was fixed at some point? Would love to finish it up.

oh god no, please no, you can't make any interesting worlds like this

In most of these interesting worlds I am a petty thief who enters every villager's house without permission and steals what stuff I can. But yea, I'm still torn over gameplay vs. immersion. Full towns you walk around is obviously better immersion, but menu based towns meaning you don't need to run all over for quests/vendors is arguably better gameplay. The immersion still wins for me here, but I really wish some of what autoduelist suggested was implemented, especially color coding text that is pure flavor so I know I can skip it.

antibolo

Banned
I played so much of this game when I got it, absolutely loved it. Was crestfallen to find out that the very last mission was glitched and I could never get it or the last two trophies. I think Vlambeer said they were probably never going to patch this, does anyone know if it is still glitched or was fixed at some point? Would love to finish it up.

What do you mean by "the very last mission"? Are you talking about the events that trigger a cutscene the first time you clear them, or the equipment-specific achievements?

Re: P3FES vs. P3P

P3P is portable, P3FES isn't.

For me this was an easy choice. I had absolutely no interest in playing a non-portable version when a portable version exists.

There would be no arguments if Atlus would just make P3 Vita, everything good about FES, FeMC, and P4 improvements plus animated FeMC route and trophies!!!...
I really want it to happen :'(

I actually only played P3P then watched the 3D cut scenes and anime cut scenes on YouTube and I got to say they add a lot more enjoyment to the experience. But yeah, portability is a big plus as well.

VLiberty

So I've become scary addicted to Luftrausers. Send help.

My addiction to Luftrausers didn't really last long, so I'd say don't worry. Great game though

Now I'm playing Counterspy, not bad. It took me a while to understand how progression works, but now I'm digging it. I got to the last mission but I think I need to "farm" before starting it, as the game suggests.

By the way, my Vita has been on a roll lately: I've played Kick and Fennick, The Swapper, Escape Plan, both Stealth inc DLCs, Counterspy and I'm crossplaying Sly 4(I'm mainly playing it on PS3 though) all in the span of a month. Plus a lot of Cel Damage HD playtime which is surprisingly fun, even in single player. And I've yet to touch Olliolli2. I wish more systems were as dead as Vita supposedly is.

RangerBAD

Don't really know where to ask this, but this might be an okay place. Can you download through Rest Mode when buying a game or putting in a voucher code if you were to do it through the PSN store on your computer?

Soriku

I'm so surprised you have a PS4 already Soriku, haven't you just had a PS3 for a year or so? :p

Not sure about the answer, but I don't think Left Behind is a separate download, at least in the retail version of TLoUR.

I've had a PS3 for nearly 2 years. Also I have a job and saved up :p

I think those are just added to the download queue just like any other download and should work in rest mode too.

Alright.

antibolo

Banned
Don't really know where to ask this, but this might be an okay place. Can you download through Rest Mode when buying a game or putting in a voucher code if you were to do it through the PSN store on your computer?

That's... the entire point of Rest mode in the first place. Or at least up until they finally add suspending games (coming in the next major update).

Shizuka

I don't know why I still have my PS3. Two years ago, I decided to go all portable (3DS + Vita), so I sold all my PS3 games. All of them. I bought Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi limited edition last year because I have them all, but I already got the platinum trophy. I probably don't get rid of it because I wouldn't get all that much money and it was a gift.

antibolo

Banned
I once queued up a download on my PS4 while I was sitting in the same room, and I actually heard its hard drive powering up immediately.

So put it in Rest Mode, log in to PSN website, put in voucher, demo will be queued and downloaded, turn PS4 on later, and have demo ready for installation?

Exactly that yeah. Your PS4 remains connected to the internet in Rest Mode, that means that any updates to your account, remote downloads, patches, etc, all get done even when you aren't there. In this case it's just as you said, you can through your phone just input the code, get home, install the demo and play. It's what I will be doing as well btw.

EDIT: OFF-TOPIC - Just took in, it's been a year since I joined NeoGaf as a member... Time flies when you are having fun.

I don't know why I still have my PS3. Two years ago, I decided to go all portable (3DS + Vita), so I sold all my PS3 games. All of them. I bought Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi limited edition last year because I have them all, but I already got the platinum trophy. I probably don't get rid of it because I wouldn't get all that much money and it was a gift.

Never get rid of it. Ever.

v1perz53

What do you mean by "the very last mission"? Are you talking about the events that trigger a cutscene the first time you clear them, or the equipment-specific achievements?

The goals for each part are called missions (I believe?), the last one you need to do for the Body parts where you need to kill 3 Blimps after death always says 0/3 no matter how many you kill. I did Body missions last, so it was my last mission and I couldn't do it.

Think theres another trophy that is glitched, but the mission one is the only actual ingame thing that can't be done (as opposed to a random side thing for a trophy).

v1perz53

Wii U's got me covered there. I love using the Gamepad to control everything.

It kills me that Wii U netflix doesn't support profiles (I'm not the main one on netflix), gamepad is awesome since it also acts as a TV remote but without profiles it is so close to perfect but just misses.

Have any of you guys played saints row iv? It's on sale for $22. I am just a bit iffy, because a lot of people say that Saints Row went down hill after 2.

Top Bottom