• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now announced (PS1/2/3 streaming to TVs/Tablets/Phones/PSes, Summer 2014)

268582-new.jpg

http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-now-really-works--268582.phtml

I wish they would go more into the technology behind all of this? I am assuming only more slow-ish moving games will work? No multiplayer or quick twitch games? Or are they banking on streaming/google fiber becoming more common place before this comes out?

Could you sum up the total amount of money needed to be able to do all the things you listed? ;)

Approximately as much as $1,200 worth of kitchen appliances! BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! If you act now, you'll also get Uncharted: Golden Abyss and The Walking Dead: Season One!

He's not wrong about sony's first party content not being enough by itself. I expect they have some third party partners signed on though. I would be surprised if they try to launch with only sony games.

Yeah, especially if you owned a PS3. I can't think of too many great Sony first party games that weren't either made for the PS3 or released in some type of HD collection. The PS1 stuff is cool, but I don't see too many people paying a monthly subscription to play Crash.

Disguises

I can't even watch the keynote smoothly - God knows what PS Now is going to be like. It's probably going to be 2015 in Europe or something anyway so I guess there's enough time to convince flatmates to get better internet.

Arklite

what happened in the last hour which made everyone excited about cloud streaming games? it's a pretty miserable experience all round.

it's the ultimate sacrifice of quality for convenience. magnitudes more so than all the minor nit-picky stuff that we fondly blow threads up to 40 pages over.

Yeah, people need to temper their expectations. This won't be some picture perfect BC replacement, but it is a nice option and I'd rather have it available than not.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

We noticed some visual artifacts on screen

Hmm.

Destructoid:

Gameplay was very responsive and completely lag free.

The Verge:

Yes, there's a slightly perceptible lag between button presses and a corresponding action on screen, but we still managed to slay numerous enemies in God of War's brutal style without it being a problem.

Double hmm.

From PS Blog EU:

So is it coming to US or NA?

This is the million dollar questions Canadians ask when anything is announced for this region. These terms both seem to be used interchangeably.

I hope it come to Canada sooner rather than later but I won't get my hopes up.

There's a reply on the PS Blog saying "It will initially become available in US (mainland). We will announce the service’s availability in other areas when we are ready to expand the service to those customers. More info soon!" which does not sound good.

Mihos

Gold Member
at times I wonder if he got into gaming right when the 360 launched :/

I still have the podcast where him and the rest of the rebel FM cast go on for about 15 minutes about the 360 being the only game system they ever need. He proceeded to shit on the entire midwest for the next 15 minutes. I unsubscribed after that, so it was the last episode I had cued.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Sounds great... unless you're stuck with crappy Comcast service like me...

even on fios connections with more bandwidth than the NSA, it's still going to feel like you're swimming in molasses. it's just not a good solution for input sensitive gaming and anyone telling you otherwise is more interested in the contents of your wallet than the quality of your experience.

Arguably, he's not entirely wrong that it'd be hard for Sony to push a streaming service solely with their first-party content, even across PS1/2/3 & 4.

But that's like saying Netflix only has Netflix original shows, or that HBO has nothing except HBO produced shows.

Partnerships, do you know them, Geis? Even Onlive ( who has like zero leverage compared to gaming titans like Sony ) managed to sign a good deal of 3rd-party games for their streaming content.

Sounds pretty bad. Unfortunate. Hoping we get more "definitive" editions of good PS3 games so I don't have to use this service.
What part of that hands on sounded pretty bad? They sound very optimistic, especially considering the service is still 6-8 months away from launching.

tino

Banned
How can you even say that? Onlive has like... what, 200 subscribers? This is gonna have 5 million subs on day 1. There's no network engineer alive that can predict what that's gonna be like in this new area of streaming. You literally have to judge it once it happens in a live setting.

This service will have....half to 1 million user, tops. And I am counting the people try it with the free code.

Top Bottom