• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now announced (PS1/2/3 streaming to TVs/Tablets/Phones/PSes, Summer 2014)

maverick40

I created Salty Gies like a year ago

salty_giesicqla.jpg

zFfMOIO.gif

Skeff

O97vSgi.png

LOL Gies is amazing as usual!

Pretty silly to think the full service will only have 1st party games.

The closed Beta of course for licensing issues, but the full thing in Summer, it will be huge, You think Ubisoft won't want a piece of pie for old PS1/2/3 games that aren't selling anymore? Not to mention they stated you could buy a game instead of getting the subscription.

jwk94

Wow, Destructoid just said that some players you ran across in Journey were actually testing out Gaikai.

I hope you get free access to games you own on PSN.

I would like to think so. At least any game purchased through PSN that is. I forget who said it, but I think it was Yoshida who mentioned it when asked a question like this in regards to to the streaming and games you've already purchased. He said he wasn't sure how it was going to be handled, but they have records of anything you purchased through PSN. So take from that what you will.

Mihos

Gold Member
Pretty silly to think the full service will only have 1st party games.

The closed Beta of course for licensing issues, but the full thing in Summer, it will be huge, You think Ubisoft won't want a piece of pie for old PS1/2/3 games that aren't selling anymore? Not to mention they stated you could buy a game instead of getting the subscription.

Square loves to whore out their old catalog also.

I am really hoping for lots of the older JRPGs, since they are my favorite and probably the ones that run the best in this setup.

Love how everyone is freaking out and all they did was implement the system with PS4 and change the name from Gaikai. You all surely knew this was coming didn't you?

Mondy

Banned
I can see Internet providers lining up to offer Sony an un-metered partnership like Steam has with many companies.

Well it would be pretty hard to sign up for the service without knowing the price....
Seriously though, I'm sure they will get into the details at E3.

I'm not *that* crazy about Playstation so I'm not hopping on this immediately like some people here already are (no offense to them). And since it's starting in January, we won't have to wait that long.

Garcia

It really is a great idea and hope it works out in the end but I can't help but wonder about latency issues.

Input lag and noticeable image artifacts. Input lag in particular needs to be solved or this will be useless for a lot of games.

"Yes, there's a slightly perceptible lag between button presses and a corresponding action on screen, but we still managed to slay numerous enemies in God of War's brutal style without it being a problem."

People said the same thing about the Vita/PS4 remote play. I've never had an issue, even when playing Injustice, a game that would really suffer from any type of input lag.

noobasuar

Banned
Reminder: Different people have different sensibility towards shit like FPS or Input Lag.

I think people are just saying this doesn't have much chance of being huge since most people do care about input lag and it's practically the most important factor for playing games.

Nobody would be paying for netflix if the audio was delayed by a second.

I am really hoping for lots of the older JRPGs, since they are my favorite and probably the ones that run the best in this setup.

Yeah that would be cool, I would probably mainly play rpgs with this, as much as I would love to play something like metal gear rising or Godhand on vita im very weary with input lag/framerate issues, you can't mess with those games framerates.

iammeiam

I wouldn't be surprised to see Square all over the rental side and conspicuously absent from the subscription side, outside of one or two titles.

Square probably exploded with joy at the idea of being able to charge somebody a rental fee any time the urge to replay FFVII hit.

Moobabe

I would like to think so. At least any game purchased through PSN that is. I forget who said it, but I think it was Yoshida who mentioned it when asked a question like this in regards to to the streaming and games you've already purchased. He said he wasn't sure how it was going to be handled, but they have records of anything you purchased through PSN. So take from that what you will.

This is the big thing for me - I have a shit load of PSOne, 2 and 3 games across discs and digital downloads. I REALLY hope I don't have to pay to 'rent' them again.

Valnen

"Yes, there's a slightly perceptible lag between button presses and a corresponding action on screen, but we still managed to slay numerous enemies in God of War's brutal style without it being a problem."

People said the same thing about the Vita/PS4 remote play. I've never had an issue, even when playing Injustice, a game that would really suffer from any type of input lag.
Great, you can play games in awful conditions. Doesn't make em any less awful.

I'm not *that* crazy about Playstation so I'm not hopping on this immediately like some people here already are (no offense to them). And since it's starting in January, we won't have to wait that long.

Yeah, I get what your saying. They will need third party support for this to be "worth it" to most people. But as far as announcing price points January is just a closed Beta, and looks like the service will go live this Summer so I don't see them making a price announcement anytime soon.

erawsd

Input lag and noticeable image artifacts. Input lag in particular needs to be solved or this will be useless for a lot of games.

There is pretty much nothing that can be done about either of those. Streaming games over the internet will never rival the direct experience.

Maedhros

I think people are just saying this doesn't have much chance of being huge since most people do care about input lag and it's practically the most important factor for playing games.

Nobody would be paying for netflix if the audio was delayed by a second.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Mondy

Banned
devil may cry 3 at 30fps with a quarter second of lag after each button press and the screen turning to an artifact soup when the action heats up sounds cool to you?

You really struggled to come up with the worst case scenario example, didn't you.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So if I wait I can just use my Sony TV to steam/play PS3 games? Or am I better off buying a physical PS3 still.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If it's as shoddy as remote play I can't see myself really using this feature but it's a decent idea. Taking a wait and see approach with it.

LX_Theo

Banned
devil may cry 3 at 30fps with a quarter second of lag after each button press and the screen turning to an artifact soup when the action heats up sounds cool to you?

So you're saying you've used the service? lol at people trying to create a bad rep for this before it even has a chance to show what it can do.

Top Bottom