• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
A buddy of mine got me one of these a few weeks ago. Really nice of him, obviously. My PS3 kicked the bucket recently so it's wonderful to have a new system to access all my PSX stuff. Plus I can finally play PSP games on my TV, although having to buy them digitally when I already owned them physically is unfortunate (albeit not something I'm sure can be resolved in another fashion).

Playing a Persona for the first time in the form of Golden thanks to PSTV. It's pretty darn cool. I'm aware of its lack of support but I'll probably keep trucking it as some sort of old-school JRPG wonder for years regardless.

Picked up Trails in the Sky, too. I've heard good things.

The Cowboy

As posted in another thread, the UK RRP is now £44.99.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/playstation-tv/
■Enjoy innovative features and technology, exclusive to PS4 and packed into one sleek micro-console for just £44.99 *.
■Never miss a second of your PS4 games no matter who's using the main TV, thanks to Remote Play via PS TV.
■Play a huge range of compatible PlayStation Vita, PSP and PS one games on your big-screen TV.
■Includes a digital download voucher for three PS Vita games.

I wish it was able to play PS2 classics and PSN games, I'd be more convinced to buy it.

Also it not having optical audio output really sucks, otherwise I'd pick one up just for Persona 4 Golden.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I wish it was able to play PS2 classics and PSN games, I'd be more convinced to buy it.

Also it not having optical audio output really sucks, otherwise I'd pick one up just for Persona 4 Golden.

I have my soundbar linked up to my television via optical audio and it works pretty well. I'm aware I may be "doing it wrong" or something but my been-to-many-live-shows ears don't really notice much drop in fidelity.

Of course if your display doesn't have an optical-in then I guess this is irrelevant.

With you on wishing there were more PS2 games up. It's a constant problem through the PlayStation ecosystem. I try to shy away from conspiracy theories, but I think it may have been in part a willful motion so as to make remasters more appealing in the long run.

awp69

I still don't understand why they made this a "Vita lite" and not more like a Roku or FireTV.

Honestly if had been like Roku or Fire TV, I wouldn't have bought it. I got it for streaming my PS4 and for the Vita/PSP/PS1 game support.

There's plenty of USB devices for streaming video and TV with maybe a tiny bit of Android gaming support as a side benefit.

This puts gaming first and video streaming second.

I do admit it would be nice if they at least had Netflix and Amazon apps. But I have other consoles and a Blu-ray player for that anyway.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I got my Vita TV mainly to play Vita and PSP on TV. And the lack of compatible titles has been incredibly disappointing, even when I already knew this going in! :D

Darknight

You will need to get something like the Monoprice 4X1 HDMI swith with Toslink/analog output. This is the only way I managed to use a DAC with my heaphones as my monitor upstairs (where its hooked up) has no speakers or audio support. I was gonna go mad that I didnt have a way to get audio till I find this nifty little item.

Honestly the only way to get the best/most out of PSTV is to hack it. This way you can play all your PSX/PSP titles on it. I had enough with Sony and their shit software support on the thing.

Hellers

Got mine today after the price cut. TxK and Don't Die Mr Robot look beautiful on the big TV in the living room. I have a second DS4 coming tomorrow and I plan to try a lot more games and some PS4 remote play.

Handy that I had a spare 32gig memory card too.

awp69

I got my Vita TV mainly to play Vita and PSP on TV. And the lack of compatible titles has been incredibly disappointing, even when I already knew this going in! :D

Really there's only two games I really wish had been compatible -- Tearaway and Gravity Rush.

I bought it mainly for PS4 streaming. However, I now have 20 Vita/PSP/PS1 titles on it and about half a dozen more on backlog due to space.

I never even had considered buying an actual Vita so just to even play a good chunk of games is great.

And after setting things up using Powerline adapters the streaming for PS4 has been great. Even better with the new update supporting 60 fps.

For my measly $40 investment for the bundle that included the controller, 8 GB card and the Lego Movie game, I couldn't be happier with it. (was lucky enough to price match the Amazon lightning deal at Best Buy and had a $10 reward certificate)

I've actually spent probably close to three times that on games for it.

Only one thing I hate about it and that's the expensive memory.

So...this thing is going to get hacked sooner or later, so that absurd whitelist can be modified, removed, re-directed, or whatever...right?

So...this thing is going to get hacked sooner or later, so that absurd whitelist can be modified, removed, re-directed, or whatever...right?
Vita stuff applies to the PSTV, but since there's so little native Vita progress, there's barely anything happening when it comes to PSTV only stuff.

Popsickles

Does anyone know if the PS4 still outputs to the wireless headset while remote playing as I will literally be in the next room on a monitor with no audio input. If so will jump in at £45 just for RP.

Does anyone know if the PS4 still outputs to the wireless headset while remote playing as I will literally be in the next room on a monitor with no audio input. If so will jump in at £45 just for RP.

i believe it will as long as you're close enough for the headset to be connected to the ps4

kirby2096

I don't see why not since remote play on Vita allows you to do this.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
:D this thing is the best thing i ever did see.

A vast library of games i could not play cause no vita suddenly open now...and the thing itself is so quiet and stuff, my mind is boggled playing a meaty game like FFX on such a thing.

Only point i would detract is the proprietary mem cards. I'm still working off the 1GB memory they give you, that 16 or 32gb memory card is gonna hurt my wallet...

Only point i would detract is the proprietary mem cards. I'm still working off the 1GB memory they give you, that 16 or 32gb memory card is gonna hurt my wallet...
Yeah, I wish the native exploit/CFW scene was more productive than it is now, because I really want to know if USB memory storage is possible. That would make the PSTV so much more versatile.

:D this thing is the best thing i ever did see.

A vast library of games i could not play cause no vita suddenly open now...and the thing itself is so quiet and stuff, my mind is boggled playing a meaty game like FFX on such a thing.

FFX came out in 2001..I wouldn't say it's taxing on the hardware but I haven't played my copy yet. Was kind of disappointed to find out X-2 comes via download code instead on the cart.

As for memory, I got the $99 bundle which came with 16 8GB. That's more than enough for me since I go physical at every opportunity but you should be able to get one on Amazon for around $35. Overly expensive? Yes, but you really don't have any other choice..

ascii42

Need help, about to go and get one:
1. Does it have wi-fi?
2. How much memory does it come with?
3. Recommendation for a game - I'll play anything

1. It has both wi-fi and ethernet
2. 1GB built in. Bundle includes an 8GB card
3. Persona 4 Golden is probably what most people will recommend. I certainly enjoyed it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
FFX came out in 2001..I wouldn't say it's taxing on the hardware but I haven't played my copy yet. Was kind of disappointed to find out X-2 comes via download code instead on the cart.

-shrug- I dunno. The thing is smaller than a deck of cards and gives off no sound, and no fans to boot, its also passively cooled in such a small case. Playing 6th generation level games with actual full 3D graphics and sound on something that small and unobtrusive is really weird to me and i havent gotten used to it.

I put my old original hueg xbox next to the thing and i just kind stared at how they managed to get such an experience onto that.

But then again maybe i'm just blindsided by technology. The smallest thing i last played games on was a PSP and that was like 9 or so years ago.

Korosenai

Is this the superior way to play vita games? I had a vita but never played it and sold it... But now I'm kind of wishing I finished person 4 first. Might buy this just to do it.

Is this the superior way to play vita games? I had a vita but never played it and sold it... But now I'm kind of wishing I finished person 4 first. Might buy this just to do it.

Not really, no, considering not all Vita games are compatible. Hell, a lot of Vita's biggest games are not compatible.

Nice. The new button reassignment feature allows you to edit R2 and L2 on the PSTV. Arcade stick support for my HRAP2 SA + InPin combo just got that much better. Before, L1 was in the top right corner of the layout and unusable R2 was sitting in the roundhouse space. Now I can force everything into a standard six button layout.

It was on sale for 60 euro with 3 free games here locally.

Finally got one, ordered it yesterday should be here next week.
Now lets wait for my 64 gig card to arrive.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
It's good to see the PS TV at a lower price in the UK now. I half regret buying it for £99 a few months back as I only really played Freedom Wars for about three weeks on it. I plan to buy Sword Art Online when it's cheaper (even at £19.99 on sale now, it's too much for me because of the rough localisation) and I am forever hopeful that Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth will make it outside Japan.

Top Bottom