• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

if i get one by itself how cheap can i get a dualshock 3? dont have any playstation devices besides a vita (well theres a ps4 in the house but its my roommates)
Depends on where you are. You should be able to find them pretty cheap on eBay or on the Buy/Sell/Trade thread.

Deft Beck

Today, I went to use my Playstation TV and it won't output video. It turns on and my controller can connect to it, but my TV keeps saying "no signal". It worked yesterday! What could have happened?

awp69

I know a lot of online stores do this kind of thing, but someone posted this on CAG and I decided to go for it.

There's a 64 GB Vita memory card for $85 at Rakuten.com and if you apply for their credit card you get $80 off. So it cost me $8.99 ($5 + $3.99 shipping).

Here's the link:
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/playstation-vita-memory-card-64gb-pch-z641j/275554561.html

I just bit the bullet because my 8 GB is a pain in the ass to juggle games on and then I can not worry so much about buying digital vs physical.

C-Drive

Anyone ever confirm if Def Jam: Fight for New York Takeover worked on the Playstation TV? Even if via transfer from PS3. I know on the original Vita you had to do the transfer process. Playstation TV seems so up in the air on compatibility I just want to see if I can get a confirmation on it - no lists online feature it at all.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Pretty sure I've just f'ed up pretty bad

I put in my Vita memory card to test out the Playstation TV and when I put it back into my Vita it's saying I need to format it. Any way for me to get it working in the Vita again without losing everything? :(

Krakn3Dfx

Been playing Bloodborne all day at my desk through PSTV Remote Play, it really is just like having another PS4 for the most part. Don't understand why they wall off Twitch streaming and Share Play tho, would like to be able to do both of those things while I'm sitting at my PC.

randomkid

Anyone ever confirm if Def Jam: Fight for New York Takeover worked on the Playstation TV? Even if via transfer from PS3. I know on the original Vita you had to do the transfer process. Playstation TV seems so up in the air on compatibility I just want to see if I can get a confirmation on it - no lists online feature it at all.

I was able to transfer it over from my PS3 but whenever I tried to launch it I'd get a message saying it was incompatible. I haven't found any evidence anyone else has gotten it to work either, real annoying.

bomblord1

Banned
Does anyone else get constant connection errors in the store? It's incredibly annoying because whenever I try to use the store for something I will very frequently but completely randomly get errors. One I see a lot is An error has occurred (C1-2651-4) others are connection errors. This happens wired or wireless.

Skenzin

Banned
Sadly if anyone's on the fence on this thing my experience has been very lackluster. The intended purpose of streaming ps4 games is extremely poor. If the resolution and detail is set to high the latency is horribly even over a gigabit Lan. If the you lower the resolution and detail settings games look sub PS3 quality, so I ask what's the point!?. The interface is one of the worst that has ever graced a tv, it's on par with using Windows without a mouse. This is possible due to it being designed around a touch screen vita. Really was hyped on playing ps4 games in a other room. Sad device that deserves thrown in the trash pit of failed consumer elelectronics, and a good reality check of why stream gaming has a long long way to go. I mean if it sony can't maintain atleast 90% quality with <1ms latency and a 125MB/s asynchronous pipe, how will it ever be viable from a remote data center?

bomblord1

Banned
Sadly if anyone's on the fence on this thing my experience has been very lackluster. The intended purpose of streaming ps4 games is extremely poor. If the resolution and detail is set to high the latency is horribly even over a gigabit Lan. If the you lower the resolution and detail settings games look sub PS3 quality, so I ask what's the point!?. The interface is one of the worst that has ever graced a tv, it's on par with using Windows without a mouse. This is possible due to it being designed around a touch screen vita. Really was hyped on playing ps4 games in a other room. Sad device that deserves thrown in the trash pit of failed consumer elelectronics, and a good reality check of why stream gaming has a long long way to go. I mean if it sony can't maintain atleast 90% quality with <1ms latency and a 125MB/s asynchronous pipe, how will it ever be viable from a remote data center?

Have you updated it to the latest firmware?

C-Drive

I was able to transfer it over from my PS3 but whenever I tried to launch it I'd get a message saying it was incompatible. I haven't found any evidence anyone else has gotten it to work either, real annoying.

Thank you for letting me know. Now I can be sad and rethink any possible PSTV purchases in the future.

It's been working like 100x better for me since the firmware update. I have a newborn, and can't spend as much time in the man cave these days, so being able to stream to the PSTV in my bedroom, or to my Vita, has been a lifesaver. I was able to put a few hours into Bloodborne last night while rocking my son to sleep. (Father of the Year material)

i'm going to offer a counter point and say that wired remote play on this thing is amazing now. the lag is nearly imperceptible now

DarkOneX

i'm going to offer a counter point and say that wired remote play on this thing is amazing now. the lag is nearly imperceptible now

I agree, I ran a 100ft cat6 cable from my computer room to my living room so mine could be wired now and it's perfect now, was able to finally be able to play anything remotely now including driving and fighting games without noticable lag, so happy!

Agreed. Both my PS4 and PSTV are hooked up to the same tv currently. Remote play is so good now that, 1080i limitations not taken into account, I could free up an HDMI port on my tv by going almost remote play exclusive.

LAM09

I personally haven't really noticed much difference since the latest update through remote play. It was stable for me before, but minimal lag is noticeable. I'm full wired as well.

awp69

I use power line adapters since my PS4 is in a room that would be hell to get wired and streaming has been fantastic ever since (wifi really did kind of suck). Very occasionally there may be a dip in quality but most of the time it feels just like the PS4 is in the same room.

Ekir

if i get one by itself how cheap can i get a dualshock 3? dont have any playstation devices besides a vita (well theres a ps4 in the house but its my roommates)

As long as its wired, even cheap third party ps3 controllers do the job.

Even wireless ones should work, but this I havent tested that much.

Popsickles

Check your settings, if you have direct connection to Ps4 in the settings it will still connect wirelessly even if you have Ethernet plugged in. Try disabling the setting and report back.

How easy is to to chnage regions and buy a game off the US store?

I don't mind formatting etc which I would to do, but is it simple otherwise, I really want to play Jet Set Radio.

I can use a PS4 controller with this right? How does it connect? Directly to PSTV or to the PS4 in my living room (Will be using PSTV in bedroom ). Also is the wireless option good? Or should I buy a 50 ft cat5 cable to run to my router?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Been playing Bloodborne all day at my desk through PSTV Remote Play, it really is just like having another PS4 for the most part. Don't understand why they wall off Twitch streaming and Share Play tho, would like to be able to do both of those things while I'm sitting at my PC.

I'm tempted to get a second one for my son. Wouldn't need a memory card as it would only be for remote play - he doesn't have any Vita games on his account, or access to them as he doesn't have PS+ (uses mine)

Mine is set up with my PSN account so will only remote play when the PS4 is on my account. But when he wants to play FIFA while I'm watching the F1 for example, it could be good to have one set up with his account.

That does work, right? As long as the PS4 is set up as his PSN's primary console (which it is), he'll be able to dial into it via remote play? Just want to check it isn't locked to only one account or anything. As long as we both have different PSTVs each with our own accounts setup.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can use a PS4 controller with this right? How does it connect? Directly to PSTV or to the PS4 in my living room (Will be using PSTV in bedroom ). Also is the wireless option good? Or should I buy a 50 ft cat5 cable to run to my router?

DS4 connects directly to the PSTV. you sync it up via USB once and then it works just like the PS4 - it'll turn the PSTV on when you press the PS button.

if you can cable your connections is will help quality a lot.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you connect headphones to the DS4 as well?

no :( the streaming audio doesn't work.

I think you can use bluetooth headphones with the PSTV, the only other alternative is HDMI and then using headphones with your TV (or an audio extractor in case you have a monitor with no speakers)

There is actually a new thread on fixing Vita Remote Play. I haven't checked to see if the setting exists in the PlaystationTV yet, but I assume it does since it has Vita guts, but it might fix some of the Wi-fi remote play issues. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1019671

As has already been said, 30fps games benefit from selecting 60fps streaming.

Oh and make sure "use Wi-fi in Power Save Mode" is disabled on the Vita.

It's a poorly labelled setting on the Vita, you'd think it would mean to continue using Wi-Fi in standby/'power-save' mode.

But really, it means to keep the Wi-Fi chip in a permanent low-power state, meaning signal strength and internet speed is much weaker.

thenexus6

I really wish Sony would release an adapter to fit into the OG vita mystery port at the top with HDMI out so I could just plug my vita into my TV and get the same functions as the PSTV. Really would like to play P4G on my TV.

I really wish Sony would release an adapter to fit into the OG vita mystery port at the top with HDMI out so I could just plug my vita into my TV and get the same functions as the PSTV. Really would like to play P4G on my TV.

Wouldn't that make PSTV obsolete, literally? Is it possible to hook up a DS4 to the vitaTV as well, and simulate touch with the stick clicks like on VitaTV?

thenexus6

Wouldn't that make PSTV obsolete, literally? Is it possible to hook up a DS4 to the vitaTV as well, and simulate touch with the stick clicks like on VitaTV?

It would I guess, but I don't want to have to go out and buy another product. More so when your account and memory card are locked to a single system.. If the way they handled your online ID, purchases and stuff was better it would probably grab one at this price.

It would I guess, but I don't want to have to go out and buy another product. More so when your account and memory card are locked to a single system.. If the way they handled your online ID, purchases and stuff was better it would probably grab one at this price.
Are you sure you're not confusing them with Nintendo? You can certainly activate your account on both devices and access all your purchases on both, and even move your memory card over directly.

So I might have bought a Vita as well.

Am I just able to pull out the memory card from the TV and put it into the Vita with no hassle etc?

So I can play games on the go then on tv without much fuss?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So I might have bought a Vita as well.

Am I just able to pull out the memory card from the TV and put it into the Vita with no hassle etc?

So I can play games on the go then on tv without much fuss?

Yup; you can use the same card on a Vita as long as the same account is being used on both the PSTV and Vita

If you want to change regions, you need a different memory card BTW. If you really just want to play Jet Set Radio, why not get it on PS3, 360, or PC?

shandy706

Noticed last night that customized buttons are on the Vita too! (as they were added to the PS4)

I'm assuming/guessing they added them to the PSTV?

I didn't get a chance to hop on mine and see.

I'm really happy if they did. I've been playing through Uncharted 2 and switching my grenade/reload to L1/R1 and aim/shoot to L2/R2 would be GREAT.

Noticed last night that customized buttons are on the Vita too! (as they were added to the PS4)

I'm assuming/guessing they added them to the PSTV?

I didn't get a chance to hop on mine and see.

I'm really happy if they did. I've been playing through Uncharted 2 and switching my grenade/reload to L1/R1 and aim/shoot to L2/R2 would be GREAT.
They sure are. :)

awp69

Really hoping the PSTV sales jump will inspire Sony to help devs adapt more games to work with it (Gravity Falls and Tearaway are my top two desires).

Of course, this could be read the other way that Sony is just looking to completely offload their stock and stop production of them.

Top Bottom