• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

Krakn3Dfx

I've installed the PSTV in my car under the seat and hooked it up to a 10" LCD on the back of the passenger seat. It makes an amazing mobile gaming system, no noise, takes almost no power to run. Used to have a modded Wii with a busted optical drive in it's place, but the PSTV even better in a lot of ways. Great for road trips.

Massa

Mega Man X4 doesn't seem to be compatible in the US, even from the PS3.

Any good deals on this? I've been on the fence for long enough.

It's pretty cheap on Amazon. $35 for the system or $74 for the bundle (which comes with a Dual Shock 3 + 8gb card + lego game). I went for the bundle as I wanted a new Dual Shock 3 controller, mine is already 5 years old.

Is a 4gb memory card enough if I plan on downloading 1 game at a time? Any games that surpass that?
I'll probably buy the standalone PS TV with a 4gb mem card. Maybe even wiser to see what Black Friday will bring.

Shizuka

Is a 4gb memory card enough if I plan on downloading 1 game at a time? Any games that surpass that?
I'll probably buy the standalone PS TV with a 4gb mem card. Maybe even wiser to see what Black Friday will bring.

I believe Killzone Mercenary is the only one that'll require a larger card.

bomblord1

Banned

I thought 8GB would be more than enough for me as I intended to go only physical. Quickly found out it wasn't even close as a ton of great games are digital only add patches and other things on top of that I ran out of space in a matter of weeks.

The system also deletes your saves if you uninstall a digital Vita game (possible to back it up before hand but yea)

Tapejara

Finally bought a PSTV. I'm going to hook it up to my monitor and make it an EDF + PS Now machine. I'll be using the 4GB card that came with my launch Vita ( I already have a Vita with a 32 GB card, and because I'm only using this for a few things I won't need the extra space).

Prelude.

Forgot to say here that I bought that €20 PSTV.

Just one thing, is there any way to disable the automatic boot except unplugging the power cable? It's connected to a power strip and it turns on automatically if I flip the switch.

true Gek

Any suggestion about the best USA-only games for PSONE and PSP? I was thinking to make my PSTV a machine dedicated only to the "import" stuff.

I just sold my VITA.

I saw it and the last time i turned it on was when the god of war collection game came out.

So i figured why not get something back, i first checked upcoming releases before selling and saw nothing.

I just sold my VITA.

I saw it and the last time i turned it on was when the god of war collection game came out.

So i figured why not get something back, i first checked upcoming releases before selling and saw nothing.

Where's the "You just sold your Vita!" gif? ;p

That money could buy a lot of Jr Bacon Cheeseburgers too...

I reserved one of these at Grainger Games (£33.00, haven't paid yet) and now Shopto have it for £29.98. I get bonus points for ordering with Shopto. Gonna have to cancel my Grainger one today and pick up from Shopto!

Intel_89

Yes, but before launching the game, you have to Refresh it (that's the button with the two blue circling arrows, near the game manual button).

Awesome, thanks. From what I've seen on the compatibility list Ys and Danganronpa are the only ones that aren't compatible from the few games I'm interested in.

Dumb question, can I pair the DualShock 3 that comes with it to both my PS3 AND the PSTV (they are in different rooms)? Like how do I keep it from turning on my PS3 instead of the PSTV? Thanks!

Omikaru

So the EU version of YS doesn't work? So I'll have to get an US copy if I want to play it on PSTV?

Seems that way, yes. Annoying, I know. I have an EU Danganronpa (also published by NISA in Europe), and that's the same deal.

Europe seems to be an afterthought in regards to PSTV game compatibility.

Yazuka

Seems that way, yes. Annoying, I know. I have an EU Danganronpa (also published by NISA in Europe), and that's the same deal.

Europe seems to be an afterthought in regards to PSTV game compatibility.

Damn, that's crappy. Guess I'll try to search for a Us copy then.

Somnid

Got my Bestbuy sale Playstation TV and bought Persona 4 Golden on PSN sale. Now it will sit on my shelf until something happens to memory cards. The mental blockage caused by seeing 64GB SD cards going for $18 is going to be hard to overcome.

Shizuka

Got my Bestbuy sale Playstation TV and bought Persona 4 Golden. Now it will sit on my shelf until something happens to memory cards. The mental blockage caused by seeing 64GB SD cards going for $18 is going to be hard to overcome.

IIRC, the PSTV comes with 1GB of internal memory, which is more than enough for you to play Persona 4 Golden.

Planet

Only if he bought physical, download is 3.2 GB for the game alone.

EDIT read his post, he explicitely said PSN sale, so no luck with internal memory.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Can the PS TV still be "hacked" to increase Vita game comparability ? Just got one and was wondering if i am out of luck or if i should wait before going online and update the firmware.

fvng

okay then, VitaTV has been practically given away in the US this year for dirt cheap amounts... This technically increases the Vita installed base to a number of users that is significant.

(everytime I've seen an insane sale online on VitaTV it gets sold out and people price match it at best buy)

What's the consequences of that? Is this going to keep vita as a platform overall afloat for a longer period of time? Will shift their position and start to develop for it?

Who is quantifying how many VitaTVs got sold this year even though the prices were fire sale prices?

bomblord1

Banned
okay then, VitaTV has been practically given away in the US this year for dirt cheap amounts... This technically increases the Vita installed base to a number of users that is significant.

(everytime I've seen an insane sale online on VitaTV it gets sold out and people price match it at best buy)

What's the consequences of that? Is this going to keep vita as a platform overall afloat for a longer period of time? Will shift their position and start to develop for it?

Who is quantifying how many VitaTVs got sold this year even though the prices were fire sale prices?

Well most of this has been clearance so I don't think that retailers are going to be buying any more. Shipped numbers therefore probably haven't budged an inch making the increased install base moot.

Also sell through doesn't matter all that much if people just download a couple psx games, mess with it for a day or two, and never touch it again. People have to be actively using and purchasing content for devs/sony to dedicate more resources. I love my vita and pstv but make no qualms about its position.

Agent X

Gold Member
Well most of this has been clearance so I don't think that retailers are going to be buying any more. Shipped numbers therefor probably haven't budged an inch making the increased install base moot.

I agree with this.

If we're lucky, then maybe Sony might update the whitelist and approve some additional games/apps that already exist. However, I don't see this having a significant impact with regard to new developments.

Anyone who wants a damn good action RPG that will make you proud to have a PSTV should pick up Ys Celceta. I played it for a bit on my Vita but only really started to warm up to it on the PS TV. It looks surprisingly good on my Samsung plasma and the best part is controlling via Dualshock 4. I don't think I could go back to the Vita control stick after the comfort of DS4. Some of the graphics look blurry at times, but the actual world design and art is stellar. It's quite the epic game and is making me eager to see what Ys 8 will end up being like.

Anyone who wants a damn good action RPG that will make you proud to have a PSTV should pick up Ys Celceta. I played it for a bit on my Vita but only really started to warm up to it on the PS TV. It looks surprisingly good on my Samsung plasma and the best part is controlling via Dualshock 4. I don't think I could go back to the Vita control stick after the comfort of DS4. Some of the graphics look blurry at times, but the actual world design and art is stellar. It's quite the epic game and is making me eager to see what Ys 8 will end up being like.

The only problem is that the lack of easily accessible touchscreen controls (leaving them turned on during gameplay is practically a death warrant if you accidentally click the stick in battle). So for things like switching the equipped Artifact or the party strategy means you have to dig through a couple menus.

But otherwise it's pretty good, yeah. I switched between my PSTV and Vita using cloud saves.

Top Bottom