• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

Vashetti

Banned
I'm in the UK and doesn't work for me either, same as the PSone Final Fantasy games.

Yes, UK account, location and devices. The PS1 Final Fantasy games do work though. What is this madness.

All the PS1 FFs work for me too, though I've had someone on Reddit claim they don't work in the UK too. How is it possible they can work for some people and not for others?

Uh, so I finally got my 16 GB card, tried to run Sound Shapes (had to download it from my download history) and it does indeed works, wow!
Kept reading in those compatibility list that it didn't, but glad they are wrong.
Latest firmware version, and EU Playstation TV.

That's great! Updated my list. Looking forward to playing it :)

Shizuka

Any HDMI recorder would work right? Hauppage for example

I think so, but you do need an HDMI splitter.

A quick Google search didn't come up with anything really good. There is this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npuD-yl7LMY

the first 2 minutes and 30 seconds of this video explain to you want you need to record PSTV footage. From there you can look up how to use a capture card with the PS3/4 and it should be easy enough to see what to do.

Thank you for the video, it seems straightforward enough for a newbie like me.

am_dragon

My local Walmart has their bundle w/ Sly Collection discounted to about $44 I think. Every time I pass the case I consider getting it just for the cheap DS3. (I know you can get them cheaper online, I'm going by MSRP.)

I don't really need any more items hooked up to my TV's, and I don't care for digital copies of games that have physical versions (I'm a collector), but I may still bite on this... someday.

The PSTV is $44, the bundle with the PS3 controller, Sly Cooper, and Lego Movie Game is $69. I needed a PS3 controller and my son has a Vita so I bought this. Seems like a neat device. I was bummed that Wipeout 2048 didn't work but Geometry Wars does so I'm happy it was worth the $10 extra over the retail price of a replacement PS3 controller.

animax

I think so, but you do need an HDMI splitter.

The Hauppage and most other HDMI recorders have pass-through HDMI connectors so there's no need for a HDMI splitter in that case, you just output the other HDMI to the TV. There may be a tiny bit of lag with that, but then maybe there's a tiny bit of lag in using a splitter anyway.

(correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not an expert)

Jamix012

The Hauppage and most other HDMI recorders have pass-through HDMI connectors so there's no need for a HDMI splitter in that case, you just output the other HDMI to the TV. There may be a tiny bit of lag with that, but then maybe there's a tiny bit of lag in using a splitter anyway.

(correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not an expert)

Nah. The reason you need the splitter is not because it needs a passthrough, but a splitter usually removes the HDCP that prevents recording.

I have really been enjoying my Vita TV. My current games on it are Binding of Issac Rebirth, Geometry Wars 3, P3P, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, and Dopandongora 2: Goodbye Despair. I have yet to dive into D2, but I was really glad to see I could transfer over my saves for P3P and MHFU. It was very easy. The 8 gig card is already filled up, but I don't see myself getting anything bigger any time soon. It's been the perfect system to play on my second monitor while I enjoy some shows.

Every time this thread gets bumped I hope for news that the aspect ration setting for PS1 games has been added. I need to stop hurting myself like that.

shanafan

Picked up a PS TV last week. Overall, it's fine.

I like how I am able to swap my memory card between the PS TV and my Vita, and play my games. However, just really am surprised it doesn't support Netflix :(

I should have done better research beforehand, but just $40 so it's not such a big deal. I already have a Chromecast, and was looking for other similar device that could also play games. I am quickly finding out that the PS TV is the furtherest thing from any kind of Chromecast like device.

So yeah, great for games and that is really about it. Being out of town right now, very impressed with the PS4 remote play. Playing some MLB the Show 15 and it's very smooth (even though I am striking out. I blame myself!)

I keep adding to my post, lol.. I picked up Dragon's Crown and WOW. It looks amazing on the PS TV. Very impressed with the picture quality!

Yasawas

There's no "notes" column on the PSP tab and nobody will give a shit anyway but while Gran Turismo PSP works, it will not let you carry on your save if you transfer your card back to a Vita. Which is a bit rubbish, 15 minutes progress gone never to be seen again!

Man I wish either of the first two were available as PSone classics, they'd get so much play on my travels.

NeOak

There's no "notes" column on the PSP tab and nobody will give a shit anyway but while Gran Turismo PSP works, it will not let you carry on your save if you transfer your card back to a Vita. Which is a bit rubbish, 15 minutes progress gone never to be seen again!

Man I wish either of the first two were available as PSone classics, they'd get so much play on my travels.

Didn't the PSP version encrypt the save files using the MAC address or something?

Edit: Yup, protected save files, so it is known.

awp69

Going nuts trying to figure this out. How do you change from using the d-pad to the left stick for PS1 games?

Someone on another forum said you hold the PS button, then click on the settings next to the game. But all I ever get doing that is the screen where you can turn the system off / standby or change basic controller settings like vibration and using the sticks as a pointer. I see no way to change the d-pad control or any list of games.

Am I missing something?

I despise using the d-pad for movement.

Edit: Nevermind. Figured out that you needed to long press the PS button while in the game.

Got my PSTV in the mail after buying it from the online store's fire sale last week. Playing TxK on my TV was awesome. Not a bad pickup for $40!

Sorcerer

Is Gurumin not officially supported?

Everytime I try to start it it tells me the game is not supported.

You have to spam the refresh button for a while then it will start. Then when I power off and on again it tells me the game is not supported.

I hear the work around is not to totally power down, just go into standby, but I wonder if there is anyway to make this game work properly?

eastx

Is Gurumin not officially supported?

Everytime I try to start it it tells me the game is not supported.

I don't have any issues with it working. You might need to redownload the game. Or update your system software if it's behind.

v0yce

Just got a $20 one from the Sony store closing and it should arrive today.

Question: Does Vita and or PSTV save to memory card or internal storage?

Basically, can I jump back and forth between the two while playing through a game by moving the memory card back from one to the other?

It's mentions in the OP that you can swap between the two, but just want to double check that there are now issues playing through games like this.

Man, I really wanted to love this thing...I'm not digging the overall look of the vita games being upscaled, and PSP games looked really rough upscaled on my 1080p monitor.

Chris R

Perfect time for this thread to pop up, just got mine in today! Can't wait to get it home to hook it up and see what it can do

edit: so this thing is kinda cool, need to try out the PS4 streaming to see how great it really is

Shizuka

I think PSTV owners should take note that most of the recent Vita games are PSTV-compatible, like Steins;Gate, Amnesia: Memories, Danganronpa Another Episode and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3.

Honestly, those all look great on it, since I've tried them on myself. Steins;Gate is a looker and OPPW3, despite being a 3D game, looks great as well. I mean, even OPPW3 automatically allows you to use L2/R2 instead of face touchscreen controls, it's a bless for a musou game.

Rich!

Got one yesterday brand new for £20 for persona and danganronpa

It's an awesome little thing, like a modern Super Game Boy

Rich!

found one of these usb adapters in a drawer at home earlier:

81ay0QOg7WL._SL1500_.jpg

Fits the PSTV fine, and works with my USB power dock (it's a unit with five USB charging ports).

It has two 2.4A charging sockets. The Vita only requires 1.6A, but going by the description of the dock, it should be fine:

"Two Smart Ports
Two of the four USB ports are smart ports (this is indicated on the charging dock), meaning that you won't need to worry about which devices can be charged with them because they can charge nearly all devices with an input of 5V! The built-in smart charger IC automatically adjusts the amount of current outputted as well to ensure the fastest charging possible."

BouncyFrag

I'm in the US and want to play Metal Gear Solid 1 on my PSTV, but its only on the EU store via ps1 classics. If I create an EU psn account, will I be able to download and play it? I'm also leaning towards just getting a cheap ps2 to play it as I never had a ps1/2 and would enjoy those games I missed. My other consoles are a ps4 and 360.

I'm really frustrated at the shit support the PSTV gets for what I'd consider no-brainer games to be compatible.

Lime

I'm in the US and want to play Metal Gear Solid 1 on my PSTV, but its only on the EU store via ps1 classics. If I create an EU psn account, will I be able to download and play it? I'm also leaning towards just getting a cheap ps2 to play it as I never had a ps1/2 and would enjoy those games I missed. My other consoles are a ps4 and 360.

I'm really frustrated at the shit support the PSTV gets for what I'd consider no-brainer games to be compatible.

yes, a EU account will let you play it but it requires you to format your VITA TV memory card every time you want to switch between EU and US accounts.

Shaneus

Every time I see this thread bumped i have this hope that its news of an updated compatibility list.
Likewise. I hear from some friends that Lumines works, but apparently only either the US or EU versions and not the AU one. Or something. I only want it for that and TxK (and Wipeout) :(

fixedpoint

It's also possible to transfer an un-installed US copy of MGS1 from a PS3 to Vita via USB.

shanafan

It's also possible to transfer an un-installed US copy of MGS1 from a PS3 to Vita via USB.

I own the MGS Legacy Collection. Is MGS on the disc, or is it a code for download from PSN? I really have never opened the collection yet.

I would love to play MGS 1 on the Vita.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Other than the fact that I can't play Ys or Castlevania X on this thing, I think it's really great. It makes you appreciate how snappy and instantaneous the Vita interface is. I just don't know why it doesn't have the little icon on the top bar that tells you what game you have in the slot, it would make more sense here since you can see it clearly. Can you get rid of that "Featured" live page or is it permanently in the way now?

But I just played Monster Hunter, EDF, Konami's Japanese baseball sim and Suikoden 2 on my TV, pretty swell. Everything I tried played, as a matter of fact. Except Ys.

Moze

Banned
It has probably been asked many times before, and i think i know the answer to it, but if i buy a physical Canadian copy of DanganRonpa, would it work on an EU PSTV?

Vargarv

Neo Member
Finally the white list has been defeated. Now a lot of users are changing the white list. Obiously Sony probably will patch this in later firmwares...

HUELEN10

How is the lag with PS1 games on Vita TV? This determines wether they stay on my PS3, or wether I sacrifice some precious proprietary memory card space!

How is the lag with PS1 games on Vita TV? This determines wether they stay on my PS3, or wether I sacrifice some precious proprietary memory card space!

No lag issues as far as I'm aware, but there is a minor aspect ratio problem. The system doesn't give any options compared to the Vita's shockingly large variety, and so the one mode it gives is sliiiiiightly skewed vertically, so you get a little bit of squish on things. It's only noticeable with perfect circles on the screen to me.

I turned my Vita TV into my designated PSX box, complete with that 20th Anniversary PS4 controller, so I'd say I'm pretty happy with it.

Top Bottom