• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont power stuff up before evolving.

Powering up cost a lot, so wait for something with a lot of development before you power up.

tips:

1) stardust is your most precious resource so spend it wisely. don't waste it on bad or extremely low level Pokémon.

2) only evolve a Pokémon if its IVs are satisfactory to you (or if you don't care about its IVs and just want the Dex entry)

Evolving doesn't need Stardust and powering up doesn't need much candy so they aren't in a huge competition. Now that there's the appraisal feature, you can just focus on evolving then powering up your best Pokemon. Of course, evolve for new Pokemon if you just want to fill your dex.

uh...
really don't spend stardust before level 20
don't really give a shit about IV before level 20 either. it's not worth the resources to level up a tiny pokemon that has good IV, just try to find a high level one that has good Iv eventually.
evolve all the commons you want because they are great EXP you can wait and save them for a lucky egg to level up even faster, but that basically just cuts down the amount of time you will really have fun with the game :p

get pokemon, get it evaluated. good evaluation? evolve. check moveset. bad? don't power, keep that Pokemon but start over again. ideal moveset? go ahead and power that sucker up, time to take and defend gyms.
Thanks guys!

So if I have many duplicates of one pokemon, I should focus on the highest CP one with good moves and IVs, evolve, and then power up?

However I'm only just below level 6 so should I wait till around level 20 to catch pokemon that are high level from the start before I evolve and power up?

Oxn

I caught a perfect IV Weezing, but its move set sucks.

But then I have a 96% Koffing that I can evolve and may get a good move set, but its not 100% :(

jariw

Woahhh you actually did catch them all without tracking apps??? Do you live in a big city?? Because being able to complete the Pokedex is such an amazing achievement IMO. I live in a small ass city and I have only caught 72 so far and I've been playing like crazy since early July and my goal is to really trying to catch them all but even with the help of tracking apps, that task has been insanely difficult : /

I haven't used any tracking app, since it kills the achievement fun for me. And it would also kill the fun if they decided that all Pokemon types were available everywhere.

I've caught or evolved 111 now, and seen 112. Using the in different locations and different cities is the key.

Thanks guys!

So if I have many duplicates of one pokemon, I should focus on the highest CP one with good moves and IVs, evolve, and then power up?

However I'm only just below level 6 so should I wait till around level 20 to catch pokemon that are high level from the start before I evolve and power up?

Dont bother with anything till you are level 20...

Thanks guys!

yeah wait til about level 20, when you start feeling the grind and the starters you catch in the wild are like 500 cp or so. right now focus on xp farm and saving all your hatched pokemon because they are likely to have the highest iv, and as you level up keep acquiring high iv and progressively higher cp pokemon so you can have them good and ready to evolve. it's very important to capture every pidgey you can possibly find in order to do a mass evolution with a lucky egg on...you can probably go up 10 levels in a day at your currently level.

Windforce

Thanks guys!

Yes, powering up Pokémons sub level 20 is often a waste because leveling up is really easy until up to levels 21-22, then it ramps up a lot later (most players will be stuck on the low 20's for a long time).

The problem with powering up Pokémon at low levels is that you will quickly gain trainer levels and as your trainer level goes up, so goes the CP/level of wild Pokémon you catch in the wild or hatch. So just imagine how much of a waste of Stardust it is to power up a 10 CP Pokémon to 1000 CP, only to find a 1100 CP once you are level 20+ (it could even have a better moveset or IV, to add insult to injury).

|OT3| Caterpie Crush
|OT3| Your Pokemon is not likely to make much headway in battle
|OT3| A Diglett and a Horsea walk into a gym...
|OT3| We are made of stardust
|OT3| Gym trouble? Diglett and bubble!
|OT3| What are IVs?
|OT3| GYRADOS learned TWISTER!
|OT3| Rainy, Pryo and Spark

Ok, so is nearby working or not? I did the thing to get the new password and i got it.

When i put it there tho it says the pass has changed and i need to contribute...

fisheyes

I've had a Pokemon in a gym for 2 days and another 2 in a gym overnight, soundly beating my previous record of having 2 Pokemon in a gym for 3 minutes. Living the dream.

Firemind

I've had a Pokemon in a gym for 2 days and another 2 in a gym overnight, soundly beating my previous record of having 2 Pokemon in a gym for 3 minutes. Living the dream.
those revives man

everyone's looking for them

maybe it's just me but they're super rare drops

BowieZ

Banned
Pff, I don't get how everyone got those Snorlax, Dragonites and Lapras. -_-
I still have no Snorlax or Lapras. Every 10km egg of mine is an Eevee or a fucking Pinsir or Scyther, I swear.

As for my 4 Dragonites, come to Brisbane, Australia. South Bank Parklands is a Dratini nest. Having also caught a Dragonair, I've only needed to catch about 120 Dratinis, which may sound like a lot but I've had hardly any employment in the last few weeks, so... :/

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
didn't power up

not even 400k stardust

have a hojillion snorlaxes and dragonites

does not compute

When I'm at home, I use radar to look for the pokemon that I want nearby (mainly Snorlax) and will only leave the house for them. It also helps that I have been travelling a lot lately and play in very popular areas with big crowds. I'll link my Seattle Dragonite stampede video again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vcY0iwntmI

piggychan

My current top @lvl25 but sadly I have the candy but no stardust due to using it early on powering up my underpowered.
593F0057-7C53-4798-85B8-5344F72FD9DE.png

Found a somewhat decent mr mime today. He freaks me out >_>

Did Niantic remove the 'retun pokeball' thing? Where if the ball doesnt hit the pokemon or if it gets shoved to the side, you can have it back if you hold the screen. Ugh.

AdanVC

When I'm at home, I use radar to look for the pokemon that I want nearby (mainly Snorlax) and will only leave the house for them. It also helps that I have been travelling a lot lately and play in very popular areas with big crowds. I'll link my Seattle Dragonite stampede video again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vcY0iwntmI

That is amazing! Game doesn't seem to have slow down in popularity yet wich is awesome!

Vipu

Banned
Here is 1 gym on island on lake in middle of forest. If i get it I think i could hold it for months.
Wonder how can i get there.
I dont have boat to get there, water is getting pretty cold and its gross muddy etc...
Hmm any ideas?
UvlG16l.jpg

Here is 1 gym on island on lake in middle of forest. If i get it I think i could hold it for months.
Wonder how can i get there.
I dont have boat to get there, water is getting pretty cold and its gross muddy etc...
Hmm any ideas?

Remember there are people with GPS spoofing and the like that usually cheat places like these. Over here there's a park that closes every Friday at 1500 and opens at Monday at 0800. I took the gym in there on Friday just as they were closing and lost it later that night.

I was pretty pissed.

Anyone can recommend me a IV calc that I can used ? Hopefully something thaf wouldn't ban me lol :p
I use IV Rater for Pokemon Go. It's in the Play Store for android, and it's pretty good. It crashes if you don't have much RAM though. In that case, PokeGo Master is good enough.

ReyBrujo

I have pokemons spawn in my house every 30 minutes or so, sometimes rare ones. I'm not sure if that's just me or anyone leaving their scanner open at home would get the same, and would like to know. A friend said he doesn't get them in his block.
Yesterday I returned home and a Snorlax was waiting for me. Today there was a charmander (which, just as a charmeleon, escaped after the first berry+ultraball). Asking again, do people get pokemon spawned virtually where you live?

vOT97RUl.jpg

By the way, I know I'm quoting myself.

MANUELF

Banned
Yesterday I returned home and a Snorlax was waiting for me. Today there was a charmander (which, just as a charmeleon, escaped after the first berry+ultraball). Asking again, do people get pokemon spawned virtually where you live?

By the way, I know I'm quoting myself.
They dont with me but I know some of those lucky enough

Remember there are people with GPS spoofing and the like that usually cheat places like these. Over here there's a park that closes every Friday at 1500 and opens at Monday at 0800. I took the gym in there on Friday just as they were closing and lost it later that night.

I was pretty pissed.

I use IV Rater for Pokemon Go. It's in the Play Store for android, and it's pretty good. It crashes if you don't have much RAM though. In that case, PokeGo Master is good enough.

Clearly there was someone hiding until the park closed.

ReyBrujo

Maybe they jump the fence.
I'm not the most active player down here, just reached L27, but I know that playing about 3-5 hours per day there are very few that can match my pace. So if I find someone with a similar or higher level, I become suspicious. That's something I "inherited" from Ingress, I kind of "smell" who's cheating. And always take screenshots, the report immediately. Like, a week ago there was someone who placed a Mr.Mime, and today I found a L29 who had placed a Kangaskhan, both unavailable down here. Sure, they could be tourists, but that's what Niantic is supposed to check.

Also, there are times when some players have a dozen or so gyms around, placing very big pokemon (+2k Dragonite or Snorlax) in several of them. Same here, they are both very hard to catch, so I just send the names to Niantic and let them check whether they got them legally or not.

When in doubt, report. Cheaters affect the game regardless of faction. At worst Niantic will spend a couple of minutes checking.

If I knew someone captured a place that's closed when it's not open, I'd report it too. Let him explain Niantic in his unban petition how he got there.

Spend 20 hours in one weekend farming Charmander candies.

Spend an additional month waiting to hatch a Charmander with decent IVs.

Evolve a Charizard with the outright worst moveset.

This game punishes you for trying.

Memles

|OT3| GYRADOS learned TWISTER!

Too real. I evolved my second Magikarp on Saturday—there's a nest by my office, I can catch them from my desk—and it was my second with Twister, and so I went back to the grind. Got to 400 candies, have a 195 Magikarp ready to evolve, but I know it'll probably have Twister and I'll be back to the grind all over again. It's almost like that's their ultimate goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom