• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Direct 01.08.13 (U.S.-6AM EST, EUR-12PM CET)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this design talk reminds me, I don't get why all the new pokemon hate is often focused on inanimate object based pokemon like Garbodor, Vanilluxe and KlinkKlank for being uninspired yet stuff like another 6 monkeys in one generation on top of the previous 7 or 8 monkeys slides past unnoticed, because they're monkeys I guess?

I'll take the bag masked garbage monster and the blizzard twin scoop in an icicle cone over some of the more repeated ideas, seeing Forretress brought up reminds that aren't it and Wormadam both supposed to be Bagworms? no one remembers Wormadam enough to raise a fuss I guess.

NeonZ

If there was a way to sell every single 3DS in existence at any price then it would be a rainbow game.

I think an actual 3d Pokemon game that dumped to top down view and actually showed the Pokemon world directly for the first time to players would have a much bigger impact than just a better resolution version of the old lands with more 3d models. Add the standard 100+ Pokemon for a new generation and I think that could do very well, much better than attempting a "semi-remake" with a graphical style that likely won't stand out much from the predecessors to mainstream audiences like the Rainbow rumor suggests.

injurai

Banned
If there was a way to sell every single 3DS in existence at any price then it would be a rainbow game.

It's the killer game that the system needs.

However 4 regions is far to ambitious to make an actually good and focused game. It would need to be an mmo or something. People wouldn't buy a new game for a Decade after Rainbow launches.

Mariolee

My pipe dream is that every Nintendo developer (First and Second Parties) would design their own Pokemon and they would be part of Gen VI.

Conor 419

Banned
I think an actual 3d Pokemon game that dumped to top down view and introduced another set of 100+ Pokemon would do better than this Rainbow rehash idea...

Like fuck.

Rainbow with unrestricted exploration, online servers and a focus on events and competitions would rock the Pokécommunity so hard.

It's the killer game that the system needs.

However 4 regions is far to ambitious to make an actually good and focused game. It would need to be an mmo or something. People wouldn't buy a new game for a Decade after Rainbow launches.

Unless the game becomes a platform which explands between now and the end of time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Screw coherent game design! Coherency isn't what dreams are made of!

This guy knows what's up!

PwIWt.gif

CorvoSol

no gen looks that bad...
LLShC.gif

I dunno, that Gen 4 Mewtwo accurately sums up how I feel about Gen 4's Legendaries.

Like, I don't think designs have gotten worse with each Gen, as Gen 5 has some real cool ones (Vanilluxe, or Darminitan), but Gen 4 was a bad Gen for designs, man. The protagonist dressed like a doofus, and the best Pokemon to come out of that gen was hippopotas.

Gen 4 was a nose dive after 3 and 5 is a show of good faith.

Mariolee

Like fuck.

Rainbow with unrestricted exploration, online servers and a focus on events and competitions would rock the Pokécommunity so hard.

Exactly. But how would they top it? It's like if Apple released the greatest iPhone they could ever make, what would they do next year? It would be a terribly unstable and irresponsible move business-wise.

But fuck it I want it so badly.

Conor 419

Banned
Exactly. But how would they top it? It's like if Apple released the greatest iPhone they could ever make, what would they do next year? It would be a terribly unstable and irresponsible move business-wise.

But fuck it I want it so badly.

Like I said y0, expansions, microtransactions n' shit.

I dunno, that Gen 4 Mewtwo accurately sums up how I feel about Gen 4's Legendaries.

Like, I don't think designs have gotten worse with each Gen, as Gen 5 has some real cool ones (Vanilluxe, or Darminitan), but Gen 4 was a bad Gen for designs, man. The protagonist dressed like a doofus, and the best Pokemon to come out of that gen was hippopotas.

There are so many Pokemon in Gen IV that I forget exist. A lot of this probably comes from the fact that Diamond and Pearl are the worst games in the series (Platinum is great though). Even the evolutions of old Pokemon are pretty awful - Rhyperior, Magmorter, etc

NeonZ

Like fuck.

Nothing like that was mentioned by the rumor though. It sounds like it'd be a standard Pokemon game, but with more extra continents and leagues. Really, the rumor suggests that they won't even be adding many new Pokemon compared to past gens nor changing the overworld gameplay, I don't see how it suggests they'd revamp things at all in that direction if they're being so conservative on the "known" aspects according to the rumor. With the way it also avoids overlapping B&W, it sounds more like what we'd see replacing the remakes after Black & White 2 replaced the standard third game than an actual start for a new generation, aside from the new graphical style which sounds as conservative as it could be after switching to 3d models.

FireRed & Greenleaf didn't make the franchise explode to new heights and were beaten by the standard new games sales-wise. I don't see this "Rainbow" doing it either if it turns out to be real. It sounds like one of the worst possible directions they could take the franchise, especially as the first game of a new generation. I don't see how they'd even be able to explore this rumored generation further after that title. It's a dead end. They wouldn't be able to push a remake after it, and a third (second?) title would be just that. With the small amount of new Pokemon, they'd need to push towards next next gen very quickly. It's just a bad move all around.

If--no,when--I wake up tomorrow to find out that this Rainbow poppycock is nothing but malarky, I shall salt my morning homefries with the tears of this board.

injurai

Banned

There are indeed bad designs but those where like throwing a fancy car into a body shop to get chrome and flames slapped on it. Different level of integrity of design.

Pachimari

Are you guys talking about 3D models and objects with the same camera perspective as the past games in the series or a full-fledged 3D adventure like Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D when you say 3D?

Berordn

Wouldn't a Dragon Type Eevee be useless, though? I mean, the Fire Type has been useless for over a decade now.

I'm not really sure if you're making a joke here or not, but monotype Dragon, while not spectacular, isn't really bad. There's a lot of decent choices for both physical and special moves too.

I'm just curious if it'd be allowed to learn other elemental-ish moves like Flamethrower and Thunderbolt since the alternate Eevees exist.

NeonZ

Are you guys talking about 3D models and objects with the same camera perspective as the past games in the series or a full-fledged 3D adventure like Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D when you say 3D?

I'm hoping for something like Ocarina of Time, but the Rainbow rumor people are talking about suggests the same old camera perspective.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Full fledged. That's what I want. If it's still going to be top-down, I just want sprites.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I don't think the world in 3d is close, but battles should be doable. Same perspective, 3d attacks will look gorgeous.

CorvoSol

There are so many Pokemon in Gen IV that I forget exist. A lot of this probably comes from the fact that Diamond and Pearl are the worst games in the series (Platinum is great though). Even the evolutions of old Pokemon are pretty awful - Rhyperior, Magmorter, etc

I don't want to say worst, but the designs really nosedived in 4 for me. I mean, the hell is Dialga even supposed to BE?

I don't care, I would hug it and love it forever.

I'd be cool with one, too, just that everything I once thought was great in Pokemon has been turned on its head by competitive Pokemon battles.

There are indeed bad designs but those where like throwing a fancy car into a body shop to get chrome and flames slapped on it. Different level of integrity of design.

Well, I mean, some Pokemon in Gen 4 could've looked nice under their too many trappings. Like Giratina. It was an interesting Pokemon that had too much going on. And Formes drove me bonkers.

Dragon type is the only one missing from the pattern they were going for.

Aren't they still missing Steel, Rock, Ground, Flying and Bug, though?

I'm not really sure if you're making a joke here or not, but monotype Dragon, while not spectacular, isn't really bad. There's a lot of decent choices for both physical and special moves too.

I'm just curious if it'd be allowed to learn other elemental-ish moves like Flamethrower and Thunderbolt since the alternate Eevees exist.

I guess I'm just to used to dragons getting saddled with flying type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom