• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun/Moon Special Demo Thread

Dyle

Anyone know what that sounds that keeps randomly playing when outside is? I assume it's some pokemon's cry, but it is super annoying and ruins the otherwise fantastic music.

Just got to try the demo. Now THIS feels like a refreshing take on the Pokemon formula. I really enjoyed the presentation and little quality of life tweaks made on to stuff such as the attacks showing whether they are effective or not, amongst others. The game is very vibrant and colourful, which is great also.

StoneFox

Not really sure why it has to be. It's turned based, so you're not in a rush, and you're using your thumbs so it doesn't matter which side of the screen touch UI elements are. There won't ever be a "switch" for lefties because it largely isn't needed for any reason
I prefer using the stylus and even though it's a mild annoyance I would just like the option.

Besides the placement of the buttons, I do like HUD overall, and the addition of stat changes being shown on screen is a welcome change.

Wanderer5

Man did this demo feel sooooo good. It already feels like so much care was put into this, whether it is the presentation, or the user friendly-ness. It definitely looks to be a nice step forward, even if the 3DS is really being pushed to the limits here, and comes with quite a bit of slowdowns.

Is the full game going to be a bit more open? (Is the demo basically a tutorial?)

I stopped playing in a cave where I was forced to take snaps of monsters (the framerate goes to shit for some reason)

Also, buff doctor is weird

Is the full game going to be a bit more open? (Is the demo basically a tutorial?)

I stopped playing in a cave where I was forced to take snaps of monsters (the framerate goes to shit for some reason)

Also, buff doctor is weird
After the demo is done, if you start it up again, he gives you his pager so you can call any time for a ride ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

Well I played the demo. This may sound like a weird meltdown, but please allow me to meltdown:

Why in the almighty fuck can't I use the D-Pad to move. Its a fucking Pokemon game and I can't move with the D-Pad? WTF??

Circle Pad feels so wrong for Pokemon. Holy shit please let there be an option to change it.

/meltdown

Anywayz: Not much else to say about it. Its too short for much of anything. The skull dance is funny tho.

Btw: Is defeating the totem Pokemon all I need to do to transfer Ashnjnja or is there more? I know there is more to the demo but I don't wanna play it if I don't have too. Rather wait for the full game.

Also I remember someone saying you auto run now, which is a lie. :(

Is defeating the totem Pokemon all I need to do to transfer Ashnjnja or is there more? I know there is more to the demo but I don't wanna play it if I don't have too. Rather wait for the full game.
If you beat the totem pokemon and got kicked to the title screen then you should have done enough to ensure your greninja :3

is there anything to do after the pokemon collection challenge thing?
Seeing as the question of what you can do after the first play of the demo keeps coming up, I'll summarise and repost the ones I know of here:

Anytime activities:
Ten Carat Hill
* go right, smash the rock and talk to the old man to begin a capture quest. You can catch and use pokemon for the duration of the test but you'll be forced to release them all when it ends. You only need 3 captures to get the prize.
* defeat the 3 trainers and the ace trainer
Town
* talk to the lady at the end of the road near the crowd of slowpokes, she'll take you to a place where you break rocks and get presents from a creepy old man :p

Time Delayed Activities:
1 day - man standing outside the poke centre
5 days - woman standing on the street corner
12 days - guy in the city hall celebrating pikachu's birthday
18 days - police man on the docks
24 days - woman in the ferry port building

Also the cafe in the pokecentre mention the owner is away for a month, maybe that's a time thing too? :eek:

Well I played the demo. This may sound like a weird meltdown, but please allow me to meltdown:

Why in the almighty fuck can't I use the D-Pad to move. Its a fucking Pokemon game and I can't move with the D-Pad? WTF??

Circle Pad feels so wrong for Pokemon. Holy shit please let there be an option to change it.

/meltdown

I'm pretty sure people were saying you could map PokeRide shortcuts to the D-Pad, which is probably why you can't move with it.

Puruzi

Banned
Shocked at the amount of people here that don't like the demo. I love it. I'm still triggered by sitting being removed, but otherwise it was great. Taking pictures for a quest type thing was neat. This seems like the first game I won't just plow through to start playing online, it feels like I'll have legitimate fun during the main game. This is good shit.

Izayoi

Banned
Easily the best music since B/W! Love it - every bit. Sound design in general is brilliant. So many neat little details... you can tell GameFreak poured a lot of love into this game. I'm so excited!

Mysterious Old Man is hilarious
How many times until he doesn't do anything new?

I feel like he's testing me.

KingDirk

Ugh wish someone would figure out the conditions for triggering Alolan Dugtrio lady. Want to see this nonsense "in-person" so badly

Sou Da

Shocked at the amount of people here that don't like the demo. I love it. I'm still triggered by sitting being removed, but otherwise it was great. Taking pictures for a quest type thing was neat. This seems like the first game I won't just plow through to start playing online, it feels like I'll have legitimate fun during the main game. This is good shit.

The base ideas are good but I'll admit that the implementation in the demo was pure tutorial, if you're an adult that isn't a Pokemon fan I can easily see it being a huge turn off.

Dremorak

Banned
Quite a few people in here dont seem to realise the demo is a completely seperate thing from the full game, these events will not take place in the full game, the first few hours of the full game will be entirely different than what is shown here. The idea is to show the vibrant art, the new controls, riding a tauros, heres some characters, you can take photos and theres new pokemon. Anyone thinking this is representative in terms of story/ general flow is way off.

imjust1n

Banned
So I just finished the demo first play through. My thoughts are wow this feels and looks very diffrent than any Pokemon game.

1st I love the graphics. It feel more polished and the npc look more real and the animation for the battle is amazing. The navigation through the town gave me a no no kuni, yo Kai watch feel. That whole here is homes here are buildings oh here are cars and you can walk around the homes to the back and get into stuff. I wonder if they will have secrets like those 2 games did but we shall see.

2nd music I loved it. It had this nice flare to it. It had this Pokemon music feel with some spice of hawaii even the poke center had this ukulele Hawaiian feel I digged it.

3rd The story is obviously not fully there or even really partly there because this is a demo but the whole beginning of you moving there and have this whole dad thing and a friend coming to show you around a little and this whole team skull character come in with their d generation x hand moves looking like they are in the wwf. I enjoyed it I see potential in the story.

Lastly it's nice of game freak to let us Pokemon fans get a Pokemon that we never new excisted and now it's here and we can use it.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah, I'm really happy with the demo overall, I think it works really well as a short tour of what to expect from the games. The world is evidently really well realized; as I mentioned earlier my only (not negative, more like neutral) comment is I hope the city in the full game is even more populated, but I think everything points towards that being the case. And of course I would've preferred stereoscopic 3D to be available at all times since I'm one of the few that has it on most of the time.

The franchise being liberated from the "grid-like map design" feels like a huge step up; we already weren't tied to d-pad movement in XY or ORAS but the map design evidently still was, and going from that to this is like night and day. It only makes sense that other parts of the formula would be changed and the glimpse of trials we got here has me real excited about them; after 6 gens of going through gyms I don't mind the changes even if it means less trainer battles and more "gimmicky" minigames like the photo stuff.

The UI works really well, with tons of QoL improvements, like being able to see the current effects of stats-modifying moves and even others like Identify, plus the effectiveness of each move, EVs on the Pokemon summary screen, etc. Even though the battle system stays pretty much the same from ORAS the improvements like being able to see the trainers and the more detailed environments are noticeable.

Music is good (that city night theme!), graphics look better than expected on my N3DS XL (I kept telling my gf I was gonna have to buy a regular N3DS like hers because I really like the better pixel density but now I don't think it's that bad), characters (even regular NPCs) are super expressive, and the whole thing just feels like a generational step up to me in nearly every aspect.

Hype stays at maximum levels for me.

Dremorak

Banned
Ugh wish someone would figure out the conditions for triggering Alolan Dugtrio lady. Want to see this nonsense "in-person" so badly

I just triggered it :). All I did was finish everything in the demo and then turned it off for a while. When I turned it back on I went back to the beach near the trial cave and she was there on the beach. Gives you the ability to zoom with the pokefinder too

Not too fond of the faces/facial expressions, but damn the graphics are so good and charming. I think I wouldn't love its look as much if the textures were smooth. That small pixellation effect reminds me of Megaman Legends.

I wish the engine could handle the first person viewpoint for the camera moments though. 5-ish fps is just not acceptable.

Also, I guess a lot of people have said it, but the camera perspective in towns sucks.

(There's this girl that hints at a guy visiting the game in 5 days, I wonder if the game keeps track of the calendar?) Edit: Oh, I see people have already figured out how everything works. Cool to see how it uses the calendar and time.

Kyzon

Seeing as the question of what you can do after the first play of the demo keeps coming up, I'll summarise and repost the ones I know of here:

Anytime activities:
Ten Carat Hill
* go right, smash the rock and talk to the old man to begin a capture quest. You can catch and use pokemon for the duration of the test but you'll be forced to release them all when it ends. You only need 3 captures to get the prize.
* defeat the 3 trainers and the ace trainer
Town
* talk to the lady at the end of the road near the crowd of slowpokes, she'll take you to a place where you break rocks and get presents from a creepy old man :p

Time Delayed Activities:
1 day - man standing outside the poke centre
5 days - woman standing on the street corner
12 days - guy in the city hall celebrating pikachu's birthday
18 days - police man on the docks
24 days - woman in the ferry port building

Also the cafe in the pokecentre mention the owner is away for a month, maybe that's a time thing too? :eek:

Game comes out in a month. Then you can use the cafe in the actual game

Izayoi

Banned
Wow, the night time is really something... The lighting is great! There's a VERY subtle bloom/glow in use that's more noticeable at night. Gives the game a very ethereal look. I absolutely love it.

ar4757

So beat the demo, and continued playing a bit after. Man, graphics and art are incredibly lush. This game is also easy to jump into after years of struggling to find appeal with each entry. I love running around each shop and chatting with NPCs. No long winded dialogues, game gets straight to the point. This will be the game that wins over non fans such as myself and sells by the truckloads to oldschool diehards.

Sounds like every Pokemon game honestly

It does look nice though, especially because Gen 5 and 6 weren't lookers imo

gosox333

the Ten Carot Hill route theme had a very techno/future vibe that I was absolutely not expecting, and it was really nice. I was expecting ukuleles everywhere, nice to know they aren't necessarily always going that route.

I gotta be honest with you, PokeGAF. I've been playing the demo and....... IT'S FRICKIN AWESOME

I haven't been this excited for a Pokemon game since G/S.

-sdp

I played the first part of the Demo and I was surprised at how much I liked it, it does feel like a new game with the new engine. The game reminded me a lot of a very nice PS1 game and PKMN Colosseum, color me hyped. I'm still unsure which version I'll go for but I think I'll go with Sun, do we know any differences besides Pokemon at this point?

tumblr_of9vbeUmNi1r1uq0jo1_540.png

wmlk

I played the first part of the Demo and I was surprised at how much I liked it, it does feel like a new game with the new engine. The game reminded me a lot of a very nice PS1 game and PKMN Colosseum, color me hyped. I'm still unsure which version I'll go for but I think I'll go with Sun, do we know any differences besides Pokemon at this point?

Moon is nighttime when it's day IRL.

Ridley327

It looks like the day counter is based on whenever it's midnight, since I just got the first bonus from the guy outside the Pokemon Center. He gives you 10 Pretty Wings.

pringles

The only thing I wish is they'd find a way to not make me so sick of wild pokemon encounters in these games: As long as they're random encounters and turn based (after PGO both these things honestly feel stale) they should be much quicker than they are. Just snappy, in and out. Maybe give you a reason to catch more than one of the same pokemon species.
At least they made it faster to use pokeballs but they could go even further with it.

But otherwise this game feels like a big step forward in a lot of ways and I could see it being somewhat of a new beginning for the series.

Got 10 Pretty wings from the dude in front of the Pokemon Center. (12:19AM here now)

Wonder if anything else has changed this day? Also I just noticed that the mysterious man has something different to say each time you visit him. kinda funny.

gafneo

Banned
It looks like the day counter is based on whenever it's midnight, since I just got the first bonus from the guy outside the Pokemon Center. He gives you 10 Pretty Wings.
Me too. There's timers for everything. I tried messing with the date on my other 3DS, and it knows better.

gafneo

Banned
Sounds like every Pokemon game honestly

It does look nice though, especially because Gen 5 and 6 weren't lookers imo

Played some of Y after. Jerks you around more. Controls are 4 directions and feels off when using circle pad. Art is kind of bland and npcs have tiny odd looking bodies. Sun and Moon is full of life and detail. To be honest, up until now, all Pokemon games felt like cash grabs banking on the Catch Em All gimmick.

ar4757

The other disappointment is that it mostly just uses one screen rather than having my pause menu constantly running on the bottom screen, or at least a map.

I feel like in the full game surely we cam put a map on the bottom screen, similar to the Hoenn map in ORAS. Then again, this is Game Freak here, so maybe not.

Moon is nighttime when it's day IRL.
You serious? Cool if so

Also, someone mentIoned this feeling like Yokai Watch, and they're right. The city layout and the Pokemon Snap camera both are pretty similar. Hope Game Freak wasn't too inspired by it.

Some thoughts:

I'm fine with Trials/Totem battles for a change. They felt pointless in the demo, because Greninia is so OP. The main game will hopefully be better balanced, and have more enjoyable missions. Otherwise I'll miss gyms. I miss the optional 2D grid D-pad usage, but just like how I missed sprites back in Gen 6, I have years of old Pokemon games that do have those features that I can go back to, and evolution (hah!) is good for the series.

Looking forward to the full game, as it seems like gamefreak may have noticed the faults of X/Y. If post game isn't nonexistent, then this game may becomr a 10/10 for me. Don't disappoint us after the Battle Frontier fiasco Game Freak!

Top Bottom