• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun/Moon Special Demo Thread

Phoenixus

This is a minor thing overall but a huge plus for me personally: being able to switch out a captured Pokémon instantly with a member of a full party. Heal balls finally have relevance.

My only major complaints with the demo are:
* Greninja is OP :p
* I really wish we could've had one of the new mons in the demo instead of being forced to hold on to only the frog-meister, like in ORAS's demo you got to choose a starter and even evolve it one stage.
* Multi-hit moves are torturous. I wish they'd speed it up instead of doing each attack as it's own full animation, pausing for a second after then doing it again (up to a max of 5 times @.@ ) I appreciate they're trying to go for some kind of tension but... yeah... it feels like it's just wasting my time more often than not :p

Otherwise it was kinda fun. I actually get some odd Phantasy Star Online vibes from some of the music and the increasing level of tech in these games. Wonder if we'll ever end up with a Pokemon game based in space? XD

pringles

I guess puzzle games are all pointless because GameFAQs exists. I guess working out a character build for yourself in an RPG is pointless because you can look one up online without ever knowing why it's effective.

The point is to draw your into the game world by making you internalize its rules. Just going to tap the option that has the Super-Effective symbol is playing with that little bit less of your brain, playing absent mindedly. Though, I do realize that this is the JRPG players preferred mode of playing (the closer to comatose the better) it's certainly not mine.
Pokemon has become over-complicated in many ways imo. Who really knows all the type charts by heart? Who bothers to learn them unless they're getting into competitive play? Challenge and drawing players in doesn't come from obtuse and intricate systems that don't make much logical sense. Especially when you can have pokemon that look like one type but are really another.

Great addition to just spell out if a move is effective or not. Will drastically cut down on the tediousness of battles as well as remove the times I accidentally hit a pokemon I want to catch with a super effective move and KO it. It will honestly probably help you learn the type matchups as well.

GameFreak will eventually make these games so kid-friendly even kids won't be interested. There's a difference between being a good teacher and doing half of it for you. The first increases immersion, the second decreases it. Somebody give me Shigeru Ohmori's phone number, I'll explain it to him.

Sadly this seems to be the way modern game design is headed. The focus is generally switching to stuff that keeps players playing than anything else, and the core of that are an increased emphasis on focusing on those mechanics that make players feel psychologically good, like collecting things, ticking off boxes from tasks and rewarding actions by levelling up stats. So a game can be fundamentally shallow and ask nothing from its players but the players won't really notice that they are in the trappings of the Skinner Box.

I don't think Pokémon is a good example of this, though.

The thing about the type charts is I'd prefer it as follows:
-The info is actually in-game and easily accessible (in-game you might a few NPCs that if all pieced together tell you half the story about types). It's been absent for the manual for generations which comes across as crazy.
-For it to be more of a goal to work towards. Caught Pokemon=all typing info otherwise it is based on what you've used vs. it. It seems silly I can KO an electric type with a Dark type move and next battle somehow know flying is not very effective vs. it.

A thing I noticed in my education is the higher level I got the more info was available to me during the exam as it had gone from learning the basics to "here are the tools use them wisely" though I'm not sure how you put that into a video game. Usually adding more systems to battle is how RPGs do it.

Anyone know what that sounds that keeps randomly playing when outside is? I assume it's some pokemon's cry, but it is super annoying and ruins the otherwise fantastic music.
It seems to be and I get same vibe of this feels intrusive. Then again I'm one who likes ambient noises in games. Maybe the trainer can get some headphones or something to only listen to music.

Doesn't S/M only tell you the resistances/weaknesses once you've stricken them with it or own the Pokemon? That's the same as SMT now and imo fine, because it's not always obvious what type a Pokemon is by looking at it now. Especially with Dark and Fairy types.
It's more like first encounter, no info. After that all info even on moves you've not used.

I'm also wondering how battle spot handles it. Will you just know the types for Pokemon you have not seen in-game? Especially as it seems many VGC players use smurf games (when you see few Pokemon caught or hatched stats...I also think there was one case of 0 hall of fame entries) so they may not have seen everything (though I know the Pokemon caught stat doesn't count transferring to and from Bank).

Joqu

I'm glad they brought the overworld pokemon cries back but yeah, they're way too frequent now and it's annoying me too. :/

Seems there's some special timed encounters you can have in the demo. There's no reward for them outside of just seeing some extra content I guess.

Day time
Alolan Dugtrio - talk to a girl near the beach on the Ten Carat Hill

Night Time
Lillie - outside of pokecentre near the tree
Hau - (Sundays only) go to restaurant.

Note that these turning up apparently has some kind of random chance element to it every time you enter the area. If you're super determined you can repeatedly leave and enter the area (switching between ten caret hill and town) or soft-reset the demo (L+R+Start+Select) until they turn up

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
No, that's like arguing that Pokémon game worlds getting linear is justified because the player could just search on Google about where to go and how to solve puzzles. I argued that something will be lost, and it has. Players no longer need to think as much for themselves since the game is now doing that thinking for them. Yeah, sure, you can easily find out that information for yourself, but the point is, this information is being fed to the player as a standard.

I think I feel more offended you compared a type chart, something typical to rpgs that even outright spells weaknesses and stuff, to a puzzle game. Strengths and weaknesses aren't puzzles.

It doesn't make the game any less difficult or not. It doesn't make the game less challenging. Ignoring the google comment, you might as well just write down what works and what doesn't, and it still doesn't change that what happened is merely a convenience, which I was getting at with TMs.

I mean, this complaint really feels like it belongs to the multiplayer scene, and even then at that point you probably already know how the match ups work because you most likely have a mon that built up moves to counter its weaknesses and such.

I'll give you this though - they better not tell whether an ability negates the attack or not. Considering that it's strictly showing super/neutral/ineffective, I hope it stays on that level.

Not all the MegaTen games, most require you find the type weakness first from your list of moves.

which is like how the new game works

Not the same thing, the Poketch just tells you which types match up with other types, Pokémon Sun and Moon are telling you which moves are super effective or not very effective against a specific Pokémon.

to which I say, at that point, you already know what type said specific pokemon is

They're not?! Are you for real? Ths absolutely sucks.

Edit: do you mean in a sense that they arent permanent like HMs used to be or that they are one use only?

nah just a comment

I guess puzzle games are all pointless because GameFAQs exists. I guess working out a character build for yourself in an RPG is pointless because you can look one up online without ever knowing why it's effective.

wrong analogy, and again, comparing a fucking type chart to a puzzle

The point is to draw your into the game world by making you internalize its rules. Just going to tap the option that has the Super-Effective symbol is playing with that little bit less of your brain, playing absent mindedly. Though, I do realize that this is the JRPG players preferred mode of playing (the closer to comatose the better) it's certainly not mine.

Rock Paper Scissors matching barely takes up brain power though. This isn't Civilization.

And what about a sense of exploration, when you find new Pokemon and you don't know what type is it? You have to experiment a little. Again, drawing you into the game. Maybe you have to fight the Pokemon once first anyway?[/s] If so, never mind.

You need to fight the pokemon first. At that point you already have it in your dex regardless whether you have caught it or not.

GameFreak will eventually make these games so kid-friendly even kids won't be interested. There's a difference between being a good teacher and doing half of it for you. The first increases immersion, the second decreases it. Somebody give me Shigeru Ohmori's phone number, I'll explain it to him.

I liked the demo, by the way. This is certainly the most beautiful Pokemon game yet, and nice touches and details on every screen.

I think the problem is judging it squarely on single player.

Neiteio

It's a nice demo. I hope the writing is a bit more interesting in the final game. Probably not. But the world itself is lovely, the new analog controls feel great, the trainer introductions are hype as hell, riding Tauros and destroying boulders is fun, etc. I can only imagine that the full game will be an absolute joy to play.

Also, Ash-Greninja is pretty damn cool. The transformation and powered-up Water Shuriken look awesome.

True Fire

I'm so sick of the handholding. Whenever an NPC pops up and tells me to follow them I want to throw my 3DS. It's been an epidemic since Gen V, and it looks like it's only getting worse this gen. The handholding really ruined ORAS too.

Remember when the main character was an antisocial hermit? With only occasional rival encounters? Can we go back to that?

How complex does this new move helper thing get, though

Will it tell me Earthquake is super effective against Gengar? Or Gardevoir's Hyper Voice is super effective against a dragon? Or Freeze Dry on Water types?

I'm so sick of the handholding. Whenever an NPC pops up and tells me to follow them I want to throw my 3DS. It's been an epidemic since Gen V, and it looks like it's only getting worse this gen. The handholding really ruined ORAS too.

Remember when the main character was an antisocial hermit? With only occasional rival encounters? Can we go back to that?

No, I remember when the (non-optional) tutorial of the game caused the single most well known bug in Pokemon.

I don't remember the Pokemon games you're talking about. They don't exist. There have been NPCs that take over control of the character since the first game. The first hour of Gen II has to be some of the most tedious back and forths in Pokemon history.

How complex does this new move helper thing get, though

Will it tell me Earthquake is super effective against Gengar? Or Gardevoir's Hyper Voice is super effective against a dragon? Or Freeze Dry on Water types?

No, I remember when the (non-optional) tutorial of the game caused the single most well known bug in Pokemon.

I don't remember the Pokemon games you're talking about. They don't exist.
we don't know since none of those are in the demo

It's a nice demo. I hope the writing is a bit more interesting in the final game. Probably not. But the world itself is lovely, the new analog controls feel great, the trainer introductions are hype as hell, riding Tauros and destroying boulders is fun, etc. I can only imagine that the full game will be an absolute joy to play.

Also, Ash-Greninja is pretty damn cool. The transformation and powered-up Water Shuriken look awesome.

👍🏾

He looks cool, but humanoid pokemon freak me out a little. Greninja looks like he should be able to be free, talk, and acts on his own free will.

Got 10 pretty wings today from the guy just outside the Pokémon center.

How do I get Alolan Dugtrio girl to appear in the beach?

I've done everything so far.

Played the demo. It´s cool. Had it pre-ordered already before.

There´s is just one thing that legit annoys me and has been annoying me since, i don´t know, forever? That overly friendly "rival". Friendship, friendly competition, helping me out. Get fucked, i don´t wanna be your friend.

Give me a rival that i´m supposed to dislike for once. I can remember Gary in RBY and maybe the one in Silver/Gold. But since then it´s been annoying me. Especially X&Y, good lord. A whole group of nerds that wanna be my friends, i don´t even remember any of your names and i played through the game last month.

/rant

Hope it´s less in Sun&Moon.

Mr-Joker

Banned

There´s is just one thing that legit annoys me and has been annoying me since, i don´t know, forever? That overly friendly "rival". Friendship, friendly competition, helping me out. Get fucked, i don´t wanna be your friend.

Give me a rival that i´m supposed to dislike for once. I can remember Gary in RBY and maybe the one in Silver/Gold. But since then it´s been annoying me. Especially X&Y, good lord. A whole group of nerds that wanna be my friends, i don´t even remember any of your names and i played through the game last month.

/rant

Plus the fact that Hau was smiling after being chased by Team Skull leaves me to believe that he's an idiot.

Ah well Gladion looks to be a better rival like character instead.

I still can't get over the INCREDIBLE animation. Team Skull is the greatest - I love it.

I've said this on reddit and other threads, but after this demo I am 100% convinced we'll see Pokemon (Eclipse or otherwise) on the NX. Feels kind of like Smash 3DS in a weird way.

My only major complaints with the demo are:
* Greninja is OP :p
* I really wish we could've had one of the new mons in the demo instead of being forced to hold on to only the frog-meister, like in ORAS's demo you got to choose a starter and even evolve it one stage.
* Multi-hit moves are torturous. I wish they'd speed it up instead of doing each attack as it's own full animation, pausing for a second after then doing it again (up to a max of 5 times @.@ ) I appreciate they're trying to go for some kind of tension but... yeah... it feels like it's just wasting my time more often than not :p

Otherwise it was kinda fun. I actually get some odd Phantasy Star Online vibes from some of the music and the increasing level of tech in these games. Wonder if we'll ever end up with a Pokemon game based in space? XD
Yeah water shuriken still looks lame

You would think that since they're trying take from the anime they'd at least try to make it look cool

https://youtu.be/Mx1Ln1D816w

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ahh I figured it now.

I guess what they mean by "package version" and "download version" is retail/card version and the download version.

Plus the fact that Hau was smiling after being chased by Team Skull leaves me to believe that he's an idiot.

Ah well Gladion looks to be a better rival like character instead.

Lol, yeah. Why´s he grinning like an idiot. (probably because he is one, like you said).

But the Team Skull leader lady looks neat and their theme is cool, so it got that going for it.

Got 10 pretty wings today from the guy just outside the Pokémon center.

How do I get Alolan Dugtrio girl to appear in the beach?

I've done everything so far.

Important bit in the last paragraph:
Seems there's some special timed encounters you can have in the demo. There's no reward for them outside of just seeing some extra content I guess.

Day time

Night Time

Note that these turning up apparently has some kind of random chance element to it every time you enter the area. If you're super determined you can repeatedly leave and enter the area (switching between ten caret hill and town) or soft-reset the demo (L+R+Start+Select) until they turn up
Hope that helps :eek:

Yeah water shuriken still looks lame

You would think that since they're trying take from the anime they'd at least try to make it look cool

https://youtu.be/Mx1Ln1D816w
Haha XD

Maybe his job as rival in this will be dragging trouble to you :p

Gengahrrr

/rant

They've moved away from the nemesis rival trope according to a recent interview with Masuda. You'll have to replay something from gen 1 or 2 for that fix.

Dunno if it helps, but I found Lillie immediately after changing the day to Friday. Not sure if that was just good luck or something.

Maybe you'll have better luck finding Dugtrio on a certain day?

Is Jangmo-o available for the catching challenge?

Nope, some of the opponent trainers will have it and it turns up in the trails where you can't capture them but the capture is apparently limited to just pikipek, rockruff, trumpgoose and pikachu from what I've heard. Could be wrong but I saw the first 3 myself almost entirely when I was doing my 17 capture run :p

Koren

If you have the opposing Pokémon registered in the dex, and at least already used a X attack on a Y-typed pokémon once, I'm fine with those details appearing on screen.

With >1000h on Pokémons, there's still weaknesses I don't remember, and I surely don't remember all 800 typings... I either have to play with a dex (which is inconvenient, even with a phone) or using attacks partly randomly, which isn't more satisfying.

I don't think saying that a given attack will work better than on average is that an important clue (you can easily discover it yourself easily). I'd say that with 4 moves per mon, the most important strategic choices are done when you select the moves (and the mons) to improve coverage...

-Horizon-

Oh boy I knew that the battles would still have the slow down but its been a while since I played ORAS and that drop during the totem battle when it summons a rockruff and the camera pans around lol.

Palladium

Neo Member
If you have the opposing Pokémon registered in the dex, and at least already used a X attack on a Y-typed pokémon once, I'm fine with those details appearing on screen.

With >1000h on Pokémons, there's still weaknesses I don't remember, and I surely don't remember all 800 typings... I either have to play with a dex (which is inconvenient, even with a phone) or using attacks partly randomly, which isn't more satisfying.

I don't think saying that a given attack will work better than on average is that an important clue (you can easily discover it yourself easily). I'd say that with 4 moves per mon, the most important strategic choices are done when you select the moves (and the mons) to improve coverage...

Yeah, remembering typing weaknesses is as fun and pointless as memorizing pi from the 10th digit onwards so I don't see what the fuss is about.

Oh boy I knew that the battles would still have the slow down but its been a while since I played ORAS and that drop during the totem battle when it summons a rockruff and the camera pans around lol.

Were you playing on a "new" 3DS/XL or old 3DS/XL? I played on the old and noticed the slowdown, and I was wondering if upgrading would do anything for it.

ghibli99

Only made it through the first chunk of the demo, but I'm loving it. Pokemon is like Dragon Quest in that it just fits like a comfy shirt. Everything feels familiar, but it's fun to revel in the new region, Pokemon, and other details and improvements. Can't wait for this!

Palladium

Neo Member
Were you playing on a "new" 3DS/XL or old 3DS/XL? I played on the old and noticed the slowdown, and I was wondering if upgrading would do anything for it.

I didn't notice any obvious slowdowns in the demo on my N3DSXL, but the FPS tanks like crazy when during battle in X/Y whenever me and my opponent pokemon are placed side by side on the screen.

LordKano

Day time

Night Time

Woah I didn't know that you can actually encounter the Dugtrio in the demo ! I'll try this.

McBryBry

On the rival talking point...

I'm perfectly fine with a friend like Hau during your journey. However, I feel having that alongside a Blue/Silver esque rival is the best route. I feel like XY's would've been fine if every single one of them wasn't trying to be my best friend. Throw some different personalities in there and you're golden.

SuperPac

I am a casual Pokémon fan. I've enjoyed the games since the first one but never actually finished one until X/Y - and it was largely because of the tools in that game that made things a heck of a lot easier and removed a lot of the tedium.

The change to the attack menu showing what's effective and not is an AMAZING addition that I love because I'm 39 years old and I'm not going to memorize the attack/type strengths and weaknesses (maybe individual Pokemon type, sure, but not down to the attack level). Providing that level of detail to me is going to make this game a LOT more enjoyable to me.

The demo only solidified my hype for this game. I have not been following leaks or videos past the initial announcement.

Thanks for the reply. I've been going back and forth for a half hour already and nothing yet.
Yeah, I've never been a fan of content like this being locked behind a dice roll. Kind of like how I'll often reset my game repeatedly to get a female starter so I can breed them without having to wait until I unlock something like the friend safari :p

Woah I didn't know that you can actually encounter the Dugtrio in the demo ! I'll try this.
I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it an 'encounter'. More that you just get to see it :p

LordKano

Hum, I soft-reseted like 15 times but I've encounter no special characters, neither during the night nor during the daytime. Are they especially rare or I'm just unlucky ?

Koren

Yeah, remembering typing weaknesses is as fun and pointless as memorizing pi from the 10th digit onwards so I don't see what the fuss is about.
Well... I used to know the first 1000 digits of pi, and found that fun when I was young, and I'm still happy that I don't have to keep a table at hand anymore ;)

talk to the professor in the pokemon center, you can transfer several things, included the ash-greninja.
Is Ash-Greninja a demo-only thing? I'm really not interested in demos, but if there's exclusives there, I may reconsider :/

I just wrapped up the Demo, and while short, I certainly enjoyed everything they showcased. Just my notes, which I'm sure overlap with others...

+Animation is excellent. Everything looks great, other than a little fuzzy on some close ups, but I expect that on handhelds to some degree.

+The music is ON POINT. I loved all of it. It has an energy that I really enjoyed.

+Move type reminders. The little tags that tell you what move is useful against what type of critter, while unnecessary to a lot of us old hats, can be a nice reminder when coming up against things you don't see too often.

+Photos. Silly, but any throwback to Pokemon Snap makes me happy. I just hope that it is a little more involved than in the demo.

-Slow combat. Some of the moves drag on the combat a bit.

-Screen judder. I'm on a New 3DSXL and still had some frame stutters in combat here and there.

I'm really looking forward to all the other new stuff they add. This month is going to take forever, thank god that CivVI comes out this week.

Top Bottom