• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun/Moon Special Demo Thread

wiibomb

Seeing as the question of what you can do after the first play of the demo keeps coming up, I'll summarise and repost the ones I know of here:

Anytime activities:
Ten Carat Hill
* go right, smash the rock and talk to the old man to begin a capture quest. You can catch and use pokemon for the duration of the test but you'll be forced to release them all when it ends. You only need 3 captures to get the prize.
* defeat the 3 trainers and the ace trainer
Town
* talk to the lady at the end of the road near the crowd of slowpokes, she'll take you to a place where you break rocks and get presents from a creepy old man :p

Time Delayed Activities:
1 day - man standing outside the poke centre
5 days - woman standing on the street corner
12 days - guy in the city hall celebrating pikachu's birthday
18 days - police man on the docks
24 days - woman in the ferry port building

Also the cafe in the pokecentre mention the owner is away for a month, maybe that's a time thing too? :eek:

thanks for the summary, I'll have to make a calendar alarm for this... geez.

I played the demo!

I haven't played a Pokemon game since gen 4, but what surprised me most about this demo is how much it felt the same. I never noticed it before, but Pokemon has a really distinct writing style for its NPCs. As soon as I started walking around town and talking to NPCs I was like "Yep... this is a Pokemon game."

Sun and Moon is definitely a huge step up in presentation though.

Riding around on Tauros was really fun. It's cool that you can dash around the city. Like the bike but way cooler.

I only watched the first one. You don't get anything. The cool dude who helped her was just some random machamp

It has to be this one. He's so out of place

SO39Yam.jpg

Maybe traditional Pokemon just isn't for me anymore. After this demo, the new ideas for Sun/Moon just seem like lame gimmicks that will make the game less fun.

The game still moves too slow, and I am not fully convinced that Sun/Moon will address Gen 6's horrible policies of excessive handholding and giving the player too many tools. In older Pokemon games you felt weak, and the single player just felt more rewarding.

If this demo hadn't released, I may have actually cared about getting this just for the surprise factor. Since I really don't care that much anymore, I'm finally going to look at the leaks.

I really like the revamped character models, but the music was very bland just like X/Y. The story and characters seem tolerable this time, so that's a plus. I still find the layout of the region to be fascinating, so that is another thing it has over X/Y.

Sadly, there are just too many things that make me cautious about Sun and Moon.

Jimm

The game still moves too slow, and I am not fully convinced that Sun/Moon will address Gen 6's horrible policies of excessive handholding and giving the player too many tools. In older Pokemon games you felt weak, and the single player just felt more rewarding.

I'm not a fan of the handholding either.
Seeing on your attacks when something is effective or not against a certain Pokemon is lame - even if you have to fight it once first. Thats why you learn the types.

Pokemon needs a HARD MODE available from the start...

Pokemon is such a wide open game there are plenty of ways to make the game harder for yourself if you wish. That's why Nuzlocke and other types of constrained runs are popular. Or even just choosing to use weaker Pokemon.

Fundamentally Pokemon is a game for kids, but it's open enough that more advanced players can get their own kind of enjoyment out of it too.

Teknoman

Heh and here I came to talk about how cool the music is now. Trainer theme is pretty intense with an island tribal dance feel during that later half.

The Team Skull leader(?) battle theme sounds like something from a genius sonority pkmn game(which is a great thing). And the road on the way to ten caret hill, just a nice environmental theme in general.

Kinsei

Banned
I love the little touches like pinning and poking Rotom's face. I hope the full game is filled to the brim with stuff like that.

Mendrox

Played about 5 minutes first battle and the camera in the city was so bad :( can you turn the camera or anything like that? It feels like I am not seeing anything in the city.

Seeing on your attacks when something is effective or not against a certain Pokemon is lame - even if you have to fight it once first. Thats why you learn the types.

I have no problem with the game telling newcomers what is and isn't going to be effective. I've been playing Pokemon since Yellow and even I can't keep every type match-up straight, especially since Game Freak keeps changing them. And with new type combinations popping up all the time, and Pokemon not necessarily screaming out what their typing is just at a glance (I would have sworn Jangmo-o and its evo were Steel/Dragon, for instance, so I would never have guessed Aerial Ace would be super-effective), that's a lot of rote memorisation for new players.

At best, it helps newcomers, and at worst it tells me something I already know.

Played about 5 minutes first battle and the camera in the city was so bad :( can you turn the camera or anything like that? It feels like I am not seeing anything in the city.

This was nowhere near as bad as Castelia or Lumiose, but Gamefreak should just implement minimaps at this point since their areas are so much more complex than before.

Robin64

Loving it. The overworld, just from that one route, feels far more natural. Removing the grid-based d-pad movement and tiles has really elevated Pokémon to the next level.

It's a shame that the Poké Finder thing runs at the worst framerate I have seen in a 3DS game.*

* Maybe not actually the worst, but damn is it bad.

Teknoman

Those totem Pokémon boss battles seem like they'll be somewhat challenging. Especially since they can turn into a 2 or 3(?) v 1 at any time. If anything it's nice to have more than leaders and admins as boss battles.

Skronk

Banned
I love the improvements they've made to the battle menus, nice and snappy.

I'm a little disappointed that it still chuggs in double battles. I've still got the old 3DSXL does anyone know if it's better on the new 3DS?

Zyrox

In older Pokemon games you felt weak, and the single player just felt more rewarding.

??? I've been playing this franchise since day 1 snd I've never felt weak. Could easily get through Blue back in the day even though I didn't understand half the mechanics. Don't think mainline Pokémon was ever particularily challenging.

That said I do echo the sentiment that they should make a hard mode option for experienced players.

RocknRola

I'm really not getting the love for the trial presented in the demo. I found it quite boring and tame (which granted, it's a demo, they can't do anything too crazy there). I think the fact that they gave you a strong Pokemon (Greninja) right from the start was what made it "awkward" for me. There was no challenge, the trial just felt like a "go to this hole, use PokéFinder, destroy the pokemon in one or two moves and move on" kind of thing.

Hoping the actual trials are more creative (would be fun if they forced to explore, use available HM's at that point in the game, use other items, even talk with NPC's to help you clear the trials, etc) and present themselves as better mini-bosses (kinda like level checkers in many RPG's) in the full game.

Don't think this game is N3DS enhanced - I experienced the same framerate drops as those playing on regular 3DS. Mainly in double battles when the camera is panning the map and the game is displaying four Pokémon at once. It'd be interesting to see a Digital Foundry comparison though.

I'm really not getting the love for the trial presented in the demo. I found it quite boring and tame (which granted, it's a demo, they can't do anything too crazy there). I think the fact that they gave you a strong Pokemon (Greninja) right from the start was what made it "awkward" for me. There was no challenge, the trial just felt like a "go to this hole, use PokéFinder, destroy the pokemon in one or two moves and move on" kind of thing.

Hoping the actual trials are more creative (would be fun if they forced to explore, use available HM's at that point in the game, use other items, even talk with NPC's to help you clear the trials, etc) and present themselves as better mini-bosses (kinda like level checkers in many RPG's) in the full game.

Same. Absolutely loved the presentation and polish in the demo but I found the trial to be a bore and it's not convincing me that the main adventure will be any more involving or challenging than X/Y and OR/AS's disappointingly easy adventures. Black and White nailed pre-Elite Four battles and balancing, I wish that sort of attention to detail would return here.

Same here, I think it's pretty unnecessary.

Pokémon has always only given the player a limited moveset to experiment with at any one time (four moves!) and the type matchups and monster designs are intuitive and far from abstract.

I'd understand the need for this in other RPGs (like Atlus' MegaTen games) which gives you lists of moves to pick from and have abstract monster designs, but Pokémon has always encouraged players to discover and experiment, particularly those new to the series.

I didn't think once during the demo about type matchups, types of monsters or my movesets, I just remember picking the first move on my list, finding out it was super effective by chance, and then doing what the game was basically encouraging me to do thereafter.

I do get the argument for the feature, given how many Pokémon there are now in the series, and the number of overall moves, but I think something has been lost here.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What did the game mean by "complete package"?

...you do realize knowing what type works is pointless since google is available right? this complaint is pointless as knowing or not doesn't make the game harder

might as well complain about TMs not being infinite

Same here, I think it's pretty unnecessary.

Pokémon has always only given the player a limited moveset to experiment with at any one time (four moves!) and the type matchups and monster designs are intuitive and far from abstract.

I'd understand the need for this in other RPGs (like Atlus' MegaTen games) which gives you lists of moves to pick from and have abstract monster designs, but Pokémon has always encouraged players to discover and experiment, particularly those new to the series.

I didn't think once during the demo about type matchups, types of monsters or my movesets, I just remember picking the first move on my list, finding out it was super effective by chance, and then doing what the game was basically encouraging me to do thereafter.

I do get the argument for the feature, given how many Pokémon there are now in the series, and the number of overall moves, but I think something has been lost here.

Uh, last I checked SMT outright states which attacks are effective

also your "experiment" argument doesn't makes sense since a) the "experiment" phase is already there, you don't see the type effectiveness unless you fought it once and b) at which point you already know the type match up afterwards

hell, older games already have a "this type is effective" stuff, right back at Gen IV's Poketch

Poyunch

I'm totally okay with the type effectiveness hint.

If anything it helps me out with fairy types cuz outside of its steel weakness and being another counter to dragons, the relationships between fairy and other types are hard to remember because it's more obtuse in a majorly elemental-based system.

...you do realize knowing what type works is pointless since google is available right? this complaint is pointless as knowing or not doesn't make the game harder

No, that's like arguing that Pokémon game worlds getting linear is justified because the player could just search on Google about where to go and how to solve puzzles. I argued that something will be lost, and it has. Players no longer need to think as much for themselves since the game is now doing that thinking for them. Yeah, sure, you can easily find out that information for yourself, but the point is, this information is being fed to the player as a standard.

might as well complain about TMs not being infinite

TMs not being infinite has nothing in common with a game giving away battle tactics freely when it didn't before. Infinite TMs are a good thing since it further encourages experimentation with new moves across all Pokémon.

Uh, last I checked SMT outright states which attacks are effective

Not all the MegaTen games, most require you find the type weakness first from your list of moves.

also your "experiment" argument doesn't makes sense since a) the "experiment" phase is already there, you don't see the type effectiveness unless you fought it once and b) at which point you already know the type match up afterwards

hell, older games already have a "this type is effective" stuff, right back at Gen IV's Poketch

Not the same thing, the Poketch just tells you which types match up with other types, Pokémon Sun and Moon are telling you which moves are super effective or not very effective against a specific Pokémon.

Robin64

Not the same thing, the Poketch just tells you which types match up with other types, Pokémon Sun and Moon are telling you which moves are super effective or not very effective against a specific Pokémon.

Consulting a type chart on the internet isn't "difficulty" though, and memorising types of each Pokémon and type matchups doesn't make you "good", either. This is pure convenience.

Consulting a type chart on the internet isn't "difficulty" though, and memorising types of each Pokémon and type matchups doesn't make you "good", either. This is pure convenience.

I didn't say they did, I'm just saying players aren't having to think for themselves for portions of the game now, they are being led along more than ever.

Anyway, it'll be hard to tell what the impact is until we get the main game, since it's hard to tell whether it's done for specific Pokémon's moves in your team or for specific moves across all Pokémon.

I'm not a fan regardless. I prefer all four moves to be presented as equals, not to have icons that will nudge your decision over anything else. I'd prefer it were optional, or I'd much prefer if the main game were as challenging as Black and White, instead of the mindless pushovers that were X/Y or OR/AS.

Anyone playing on original 3DS able to comment or compare load times? I was pleased that transitions between buildings and areas are near instant, but I was playing on a N3DS.

I was stunned by the visuals of the demo. This looks so good, aside from the aliasing which is more present than usually.

Yeah, it looks brilliant. I'm alright with the lack of aliasing - it goes hand in hand with the cel-shaded character outlines, which in turn makes them appear more like sprites close-up.

I love the unique look of the Pokémon games this gen -- it feels like a lot of the visual limitations (like a lack of texture filtering) have been embraced and designed for, so they feel more like conscious design decisions than limitations. A lot of the textures have been made to look great without filtering and at the distance the in-game camera views them the majority of the time, for example.

Shame about the 3D though. Given the extra strain on resources when using the Pokefinder, I was at least expecting a good 3D effect, but it's rubbish: Like looking at a 2D image far into the distance. There's depth (the two cameras creating the image are far apart) but no convergence (the cameras are angled inadequately). Might as well not use 3D at all.

??? I've been playing this franchise since day 1 snd I've never felt weak. Could easily get through Blue back in the day even though I didn't understand half the mechanics. Don't think mainline Pokémon was ever particularily challenging.

That said I do echo the sentiment that they should make a hard mode option for experienced players.

I'm not saying the games were hard, but you actually had to work for good Pokemon. You weren't given so many ridiculous broken options.

I know some people did use legendaries against the Elite Four in all generations, but that was just basically the only real way of cheesing.

I'm not saying the games were hard, but you had to work to make your Pokemon strong. You weren't given ridiculously broken Pokemon throughout the game.

I know some people did use legendaries against the Elite Four in all generations, but that was just basically the only real way of cheesing.

Oh man, this so much. It trivialises how the majority of players will approach the game's systems, it just didn't sit right with me.

brinstar

Doesn't S/M only tell you the resistances/weaknesses once you've stricken them with it or own the Pokemon? That's the same as SMT now and imo fine, because it's not always obvious what type a Pokemon is by looking at it now. Especially with Dark and Fairy types.

Kinokou

Some impressions I had from the demo:

*Everything looks amazing
*Pokefinder camera will be fun if we get zoom and some kind of bait to change up how the pokemon move.
*There is some entry width inconsistency like you can fit on the narrow side f the police station but not pass between a lady and her Corsola.
*Wild pokemon noise are nice.
*There seem to be a lot of competitive friendly adjustments to the pokemon menu screens
*Camera angles need work, might be acceptable if we have a bottom screen minimap option.
*The Pokemon Center them music is awful.
*I miss being able to sit down on stuff.
*L is A seems to not be an option any more due to how move information in battle works. I'll miss it.

Because a lot of people are bringing it up, I just want to clarify that I think type effectiveness and stat change info is a great addition to the battle system.

That was not what I was referring to in terms of handholding. I'm just talking about general game progression and the difficulty balance which I described in my last few posts.

How long is the demo, and is it the only way to get Ash-Greninja?

I usually don't play demos for games I'm going to buy regardless, but I might have to make an exception lol.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I've started playing and I'm already really worried. Battles move *incredibly* slowly - slower than DP even; I went and compared some of the basic animations to check even. I really hope that's something Demo only or gets fixed before the main release.

RocknRola

How long is the demo, and is it the only way to get Ash-Greninja?

I usually don't play demos for games I'm going to buy regardless, but I might have to make an exception lol.

Should be 20-30 minutes if you're used to Pokemon games. But there is some side stuff to do AFTER you finish the demo (nothing particularly time consuming or difficult either, but stuff nonetheless)

And yeah I believe it really is the only to get Ash-Greninja. Unless I missed something.

Mediking

I can't get over how good the presentation is. Just wow... so good. This Ferry Terminal music is good too! We might visit another region!!!

AGoodODST

I'm really impressed with this. Surprised by how nice it look. And the music is great too!

The change to normal proportioned characters seems a small thing but it really makes the game look better. It's nice being able to see the trainers during battles now as well.

Speaking of which, it's cool how you keep the riding outfit on if you go into battle while riding Tauros.

I'm really looking forward to this (I was anyway :p). GF done good.

Sam250

Banned

I guess puzzle games are all pointless because GameFAQs exists. I guess working out a character build for yourself in an RPG is pointless because you can look one up online without ever knowing why it's effective.

The point is to draw your into the game world by making you internalize its rules. Just going to tap the option that has the Super-Effective symbol is playing with that little bit less of your brain, playing absent mindedly. Though, I do realize that this is the JRPG players preferred mode of playing (the closer to comatose the better) it's certainly not mine.

And what about a sense of exploration, when you find new Pokemon and you don't know what type is it? You have to experiment a little. Again, drawing you into the game. Maybe you have to fight the Pokemon once first anyway?[/s] If so, never mind.

GameFreak will eventually make these games so kid-friendly even kids won't be interested. There's a difference between being a good teacher and doing half of it for you. The first increases immersion, the second decreases it. Somebody give me Shigeru Ohmori's phone number, I'll explain it to him.

I liked the demo, by the way. This is certainly the most beautiful Pokemon game yet, and nice touches and details on every screen.

Top Bottom