• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun for Nintendo 3DS

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So not black 2 / white 2, but just some extended versions of sun / moon? Pass, easily, then.

shinkai

Everyone who didn't see the B2W2 situation coming was voluntarily blind.

Switch will get it's gen 8, Gen7 is gonna be 3ds only

Been saying this to all my friends since there were Stars rumors, but none of them believed me. Gen 8 will most likely be either Switch exclusive or cross gen game with one on Switch and the other on 3DS

So not black 2 / white 2, but just some extended versions of sun / moon? Pass, easily, then.

Alternate timeline is what they said so its not even canon then? Not sure we'll have to wait for more info.

Regiruler

The only bit of excitement third versions have is that they tie the two storylines together.

Now these don't even have that. Do sequels if you want to keep two games.

I've got to be honest I'm not a graphics snob but some of the textures in S&M were embarrassing, not to mention the slowdown. Not sure why GF didn't get more shit for it (well of course I am really), the slowdown in some battles was bordering on comical.

ChrisD

Wait, did they not announce a Switch game? I have not been following this.

Pokken Tournament Deluxe, yes.
"Stars" or a mainline tile at all, no.

Reveals were Pokken DX on Switch, some quick Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon clips, and then Pokemon Gold and Silver on 3DS VC.

MicH

Expect this.

jakOI6m_d.jpg
This is the worst thing ever

pariah164

Not sure what's more salty right now: the Dead Sea, or this thread.

In all honesty, I'd rather have a new gen for Switch than an enhanced Sun/Moon game. Also, this shouldn't be surprising to anyone; more people own a 3DS than the Switch. It's that simple.

I'm buying it.

Redd

It would be wrong but if this game gave me access to a legit way for a surfing pikachu I would buy it when it went on sale.

In the most Nintendo way possible, Nintendo pulls a Nintendo. I can't say I'm surprised but it's still crazy how they have no plans to put this on Switch.

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Pokemon culture (I'm an expert),

Good shit. Alternate story + old Pokemon appearing. Curious how they are going to do it.

Excited for this.

Highly agree.

We've already had a lot of discussion and could pretty much make a confident assessment that the Switch is too new for a new gen of Pokémon and the 3DS has too big of an install base to justify abandoning it.

Chipmungus

Neo Member
Also, this shouldn't be surprising to anyone; more people own a 3DS than the Switch. It's that simple.

Nobody's saying it should be a Switch exclusive.

There's really no better a time to put a mainline Pokémon game on Switch.

It'd sell systems, while comparing favourably to the 3DS version. As an enhanced port, there's less work required than a "from-the-ground-up" Switch Pokémon game. Also, you'd inevitably get some people picking it up for both systems.

What the hell are they doing? This is a crap in the mouth for current Sun/Moon owners and a farce to announce this crap over a switch game.

Nintendo has a serious identity crisis I swear, my local shops all have 3ds/wiiu/switch games mashed together on the same wall and ALL 3 systems are never in stock, like fucking pick one and sell it already and get your retail marketing team off their asses...

Nobody's saying it should be a Switch exclusive.

There's really no better a time to put a mainline Pokémon game on Switch.

It'd sell systems, while comparing favourably to the 3DS version. As an enhanced port, there's less work required than a "from-the-ground-up" Switch Pokémon game. Also, you'd inevitably get some people picking it up for both systems.
Yeah, there is a reason Capcom is doing it for Monster Hunter. Just makes sense.

ZeoVGM

Banned
You really think there won't be another form of the switch hardware? With Sony and MS having multiple forms of their hardware, you really think nintendo won't do it? It's would be a completely dumb move. Do you think instead they will release a portable successor that's it's own system? That's not happening. Switch is both home console and portable.

You're saying there won't be another mainline Pokemon game until there is a smaller version of Switch. That's clearly ridiculous.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't get it.

Nintendo clearly states "we will continue supporting 3DS through 2017 and beyond"

Nintendo clearly states "we will treat Switch as a successor to WiiU not the 3DS"

but people prefer to trust leakers or to ignore what they say.

why? Neogaf, why do you set yourselves up for disappointment so hard?

So people can say "nintendo is dumb hurr". The trend showed that the 3rd version is kept within the system of whatever generation was release at. People getting mad now are just people that couldn't keep their expectations at bay and rode a baseless hype by EG and now fling shit at GF & Nintendo.

You can keep playing (I hope) dumb or you can actually think and realise that Nintendo could have kept supporting 3ds while having games releasing cross gen.

At this point what can you even ask from EA and Ubisoft when the likes of Nintendo, Game Freaks and Capcom are releasing major games without a Switch version and instead bombard Switch with remasters? Why wouldn't EA release a legacy Fifa when Nintendo and Game Freak launch DX editions over DX editions?

If you guys are upset over these coming out on 3DS, then just wait until the next mainline Pokémon game is also announced to be 3DS exclusive.

I hope if these end up as sequel-type games we get a surprise champion like in BW2.

Lillie has spent years training overseas and is finally back to challenge your team.

yami4ct

If you guys are upset over these coming out on 3DS, then just wait until the next mainline Pokémon game is also announced to be 3DS exclusive.

Gen 8 certainly will come to Switch. The question is what is next year's title? Are we getting a new remake in the SM engine? If so, that might *still* be 3DS. Are we moving to Gen 8 now? Then switch.

PS_GUY

So I rewatched the video and Junichi Masuda said Pokemon that didn't appear in Sun/Moon will appear in these games. Do you think he meant brand new Pokemon, or just new forms like the box covers and perhaps that black Ultra Beast?

I hope it's new Pokemon because one thing I really disliked about Sun/Moon was the lack of new Pokemon, not including Alolan variants.

If they will have new Pokemon, they could have shown one or two in the trailer....

MicH

Gen 8 certainly will come to Switch. The question is what is next year's title? Are we getting a new remake in the SM engine? If so, that might *still* be 3DS. Are we moving to Gen 8 now? Then switch.
Diamond and Pearl remakes using Sun/Moon engine. Not coming to Switch. #Believe

I'm okay with that as long as the game has content worth caring about this time.

If you're talking post-game, it's been two generations and GF refuses to do post-game now. It's actually quite sad that Pokemon games have worse post-game than Lebron James.
I couldn't resist.

Diamond and Pearl remakes using Sun/Moon engine. Not coming to Switch. #Believe

GF has never released more than 1 remake per platform. They usually save them for the better hardware, FRLG for GBA, HGSS for DS, and ORAS for 3DS.

foltzie1

Install base of 65+ million vs an install base of ~3 million.

Game Freak makes prudent business decisions.

Maybe next year once Switch has a larger install base.

Crazy thought, maybe Pokemon would make people buy a Switch just for it. Why would any developers put their games on a first or second year console at all when its sales will be less than the previous iteration.

That was every developers reason to skip Wii U. With that attitude, Switch will suffer the same fate. Mario and indies are only going to take it so far.

Can you imagine if Sony or Microsoft made a major last gen game exclusive just a few months after PS4/XB1 was released?

Again remember ps3 and 4.
Install base of 80 million vs 2 million first month.

PS4 still got cross gen ports. So why can't the Switch?

What a bunch of clowns dude, 65 mil? If they had just launched it on the Wii and DS think of the gangbusters they would have made. What a poor business decision smh.

The frustration is strong and understandable, however, Game Freak is not Nintendo and has a large amount of autonomy. For example, Game Freak has developed for the XB1 and PS4

Whereas Nintendo has delayed Zelda titles to make them a launch vehicle, Game Freak goes the other direction and takes advantage of huge existing install bases. They did this exact same thing with B2/W2 releasing on the DS after the 3DS had launched.

While its fun to joke about releasing on the Wii or the DS still, the 3DS family is still getting new hardware with a new 2DS coming out next month. It isn't a dead platform. . . at least not this year.

Simply put, Game Freak is likely to sell way more copies releasing on the 3DS instead of the Switch, and there is no reason to leave those potential 3DS sales on the table. Sun & Moon sold ~15 million copies, Game Freak literally cannot sell that many copies on the Switch.

Still, there must be some fire to all of the purported Switch mainline Pokemon smoke. So again, maybe next spring.

So I rewatched the video and Junichi Masuda said Pokemon that didn't appear in Sun/Moon will appear in these games. Do you think he meant brand new Pokemon, or just new forms like the box covers and perhaps that black Ultra Beast?

I'm expecting more pokemon from previous gen to populate the islands to add more variety. The closest I think we'll get to actual new pokemon are new alola forms.

I hope it's new Pokemon because one thing I really disliked about Sun/Moon was the lack of new Pokemon, not including Alolan variants.

If they will have new Pokemon, they could have shown one or two in the trailer....
Let's hope for more alolan forms. Talk about a dissapointing feature there are so few and all kanto.

If you're talking post-game, it's been two generations and GF refuses to do post-game now. It's actually quite sad that Pokemon games have worse post-game than Lebron James.
I couldn't resist.

GF has never released more than 1 remake per platform. They usually save them for the better hardware, FRLG for GBA, HGSS for DS, and ORAS for 3DS.

Well, they kind of have no choice but to add postgame this time since the region is already done and a year old. They can't coast with new gen hype or remake pandering anymore.

Toxi

Banned
A lot of Pokemon didn't appear in Sun and Moon from previous games. Those are what the trailer is almost certainly referring to.

yrba1

Figured the majority of responses would be vehement after all that speculation and hype of a mainline Pokemon game on the Switch.

From a dev standpoint, I would rather see Game Freak take their time to maximize the Switch's hardware potential and refine gameplay. I'm hoping the first mainline Switch game would be in Kanto while moving away from turn-based mechanics. Been speculating for sometime now that Pokken Tournament is an experiment on how Nintendo can change the way Pokemon is played. The whole Megas and Z-moves or whatever future extension of turn-based mechanics is already getting stale.

My only criticism of USUM is the designs of the legendary mascots, looks pretty lazy on their part.

LotusHD

Banned
Figured the majority of responses would be vehement after all that speculation and hype of a mainline Pokemon game on the Switch.

From a dev standpoint, I would rather see Game Freak take their time to maximize the Switch's hardware potential and refine gameplay. I'm hoping the first mainline Switch game would be in Kanto while moving away from turn-based mechanics. Been speculating for sometime now that Pokken Tournament is an experiment on how Nintendo can change the way Pokemon is played. The whole Megas and Z-moves or whatever future extension of turn-based mechanics is already getting stale.

My only criticism of USUM is the designs of the legendary mascots, looks pretty lazy on their part.

You want a mainline entry to do away with turn-based combat? That sure would be the day...

So. Does nintendo has any say on this?

No.

Fuck that.

Top Bottom