• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun for Nintendo 3DS

Figured the majority of responses would be vehement after all that speculation and hype of a mainline Pokemon game on the Switch.

From a dev standpoint, I would rather see Game Freak take their time to maximize the Switch's hardware potential and refine gameplay. I'm hoping the first mainline Switch game would be in Kanto while moving away from turn-based mechanics. Been speculating for sometime now that Pokken Tournament is an experiment on how Nintendo can change the way Pokemon is played. The whole Megas and Z-moves or whatever future extension of turn-based mechanics is already getting stale.

My only criticism of USUM is the designs of the legendary mascots, looks pretty lazy on their part.

How is a fighting game in any way indicative of future plans with the main series? It's like saying Smash Bros is Nintendo's way of experimenting with changing the way Mario is played.

yami4ct

You want a mainline entry to do away with turn-based combat? That sure would be the day...

They also want more damn Gen 1 fan service. If I've learned anything, it's that people that demand gen 1 shit all the time don't know a thing about why pokemon is still huge.

Figured the majority of responses would be vehement after all that speculation and hype of a mainline Pokemon game on the Switch.

From a dev standpoint, I would rather see Game Freak take their time to maximize the Switch's hardware potential and refine gameplay. I'm hoping the first mainline Switch game would be in Kanto while moving away from turn-based mechanics. Been speculating for sometime now that Pokken Tournament is an experiment on how Nintendo can change the way Pokemon is played. The whole Megas and Z-moves or whatever future extension of turn-based mechanics is already getting stale.

My only criticism of USUM is the designs of the legendary mascots, looks pretty lazy on their part.

Pokemon is one of the few major RPG franchises that still sticks to turn based combat and I hope it stays that way, it works incredibly well and is a defining trait for the mainline series.

FZZ

Banned
Found it!

HmprZ47.png

It got the release date wrong by a week, though.

So this was proven to be fake?

Everything about it is still holding up, except the release date

Diamond and Pearl remakes using Sun/Moon engine. Not coming to Switch. #Believe

Nope. Remakes have always appeared once for new systems just like third, sequel, or alternate in this case releases in the same hardware as the original port. That's why DS only had HG&SS when gen 5 only had B/W/B2/W2.

The only weird gen is gen 6 which had no third game, sequel, or alternate version.

Remember Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 and Pokemon X and Y, the first mainline 3DS Pokemon game was a fully 3D game instead of sprite based, I think TPCi wants to do the same again.

They also most likely want to sell their mainline games on the Switch for $60. A third version of $40 doesnt make sense.

yrba1

You want a mainline entry to do away with turn-based combat? That sure would be the day...

Yeah, it's been getting stale lately. The only aspect keeping the series fresh now is good writing but even that's unsustainable. Also needs to implement a hard mode from the get-go. That was a nice add-on from B2W2

How is a fighting game in any way indicative of future plans with the main series? It's like saying Smash Bros is Nintendo's way of experimenting with changing the way Mario is played.

This is speculation on my part. Been looking to see a Pokemon game that follows the same adventuring format but with new combat mechanics.

Nobody's saying it should be a Switch exclusive.

There's really no better a time to put a mainline Pokémon game on Switch.

It'd sell systems, while comparing favourably to the 3DS version. As an enhanced port, there's less work required than a "from-the-ground-up" Switch Pokémon game. Also, you'd inevitably get some people picking it up for both systems.
Nintendo doesn't need another system seller right now. They can't even keep Switches on store shelves for more than a few hours. They probably looked at data and determined that the extra money they'd generate with a Switch port wouldn't be worth the extra resources it would require. Either that or they're planning something truly evil and will port to Switch later to get those triple dips (unlikely) :p

Uhhhh nah, GameFreak is never doing that.

Coffinhal

Diamond and Pearl remakes using Sun/Moon engine. Not coming to Switch. #Believe

Remakes always have been tied with consoles (GBA/DS/3DS) and not gen so far. That's why you never got the Ruby/Sapphire remake on the Black/White engine, and why you likely won't get a Diamond/Pearl remake on the Sun/Moon engine.

Is that not a sequel? If it was a third version, it would be the same story with some new content, see Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum.

Platinum and Emerald had alternate stories.

Well this is disappointing. If there is no battle frontier then this may be the first mainline Pokemon game that I skip.

They do.

solgaleo always looked ugly, so the new version is an improvement I think.

I might get ultra sun just for that because I picked up moon

Black/White 2 were really good, but man, now I have to wait even for Pokémon games one year before I get the "complete" Version or what?

They could at least add the New content via DLC and a reduced price for owners of the original version.

Newley announced DLC pack

X12FSHsl.jpg

My guy solgaleo literally has a donut for a feet

Black/White 2 were really good, but man, now I have to wait even for Pokémon games one year before I get the "complete" Version or what?

They could at least add the New content via DLC and a reduced price for owners of the original version.

Nah gamefreak likes to keep you on your toes by switching it up on yah

I think I should get alpha sappphire now lol

Toxi

Banned

If Pokemon stopped being turn-based, I would stop playing it.

Coffinhal

Platinum and Emerald had alternate stories.

A few changes here and there of the same story. A sequel is what they did with B/W2 with a complete new story and everything that comes with it.

Having two games and no "2" number at the end but rather "ultra" is strange and we don't know if this is going to really have the scale of B/W2's changes.

A few changes here and there of the same story. A sequel is what they did with B/W2 with a complete new story and everything that comes with it.

They didnt say complete new story, they said alternate.

Emerald was an alternate story because in that game, you fought both teams and had to get rayquaza to solve issues with cutscenes added for that. Plus steven was no longer champion.

They largely followed the same track with platinum, adding in the stuff with giratina to create changes.

Sou Da

Having two games and no "2" number at the end but rather "ultra" is strange and we don't know if this is going to really have the scale of B/W2's changes.

It isn't.

The disappointment in this threat is completely justified. Everyone was expecting a Switch announcement. Most of Nintendo's internal devs are, right now, dedicating their efforts to support this machine. Sales are plumping and there's a lot of optimism and prospects for it's future. Two of the biggest IP's from Japan, Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest, were announced for Switch, so the "installed base" excuse to justify the 3DS version is just dumb and a lame attempt from GameFreaks to justify their unwillingness from generations to support Nintendo home consoles, something the last time they did was in 1997, for the Super Famicom. I think it's time for Nintendo to have better control over Pokémon Co. and Game Freaks, as they seems to have way too much autonomy for their own good.

Cartho

No.

The disappointment in this threat is completely justified. Everyone was expecting a Switch announcement. Most of Nintendo's internal devs are, right now, dedicating their efforts to support this machine. Sales are plumping and there's a lot of optimism and prospects for it's future. Two of the biggest IP's from Japan, Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest, were announced for Switch, so the "installed base" excuse to justify the 3DS version is just dumb and a lame attempt from GameFreaks to justify their unwillingness from generations to support Nintendo home consoles, something the last time they did was in 1997, for the Super Famicom. I think it's time for Nintendo to have better control over Pokémon Co. and Game Freaks, as they seems to have way too much autonomy for their own good.

The disappointment is mostly your own fault.

DO NOT BELIEVE RUMORS. Especially those that fly in face of business logic

/s

Like really, they knew that a Switch announcement would lead to much more units sold, even if it was just in the planning phase, and still thy disappoint us.
Im gonna channel Hideki Kamiya for a sec ok?

Use your brain!

Why stack the system sellers when you cant even manufacture the systems to sell?

If pokemon eclipse exists you know nintendo delayed that ish.

Coffinhal

They didnt say complete new story, they said alternate.

Emerald was an alternate story because in that game, you fought both teams and had to get rayquaza to solve issues with cutscenes added for that. Plus steven was no longer champion.

They largely followed the same track with platinum, adding in the stuff with giratina to create changes.

You're basically detailling what I said in my message, should I thank you or something?

It isn't.

Someone need to tell you that you're not helping anyone with that kind of two-words message.

Mr-Joker

Banned
umvc3_moveset__guzma_by_anti_ho0f-dardekv.png

Yes, but what happened to yur boi?

Did he go ahead and create a Bug Gym?
Or is he back to his criminal ways?

Well in the end of Sun and Moon he hadn't changed much and strongly disliked the player but Hala decided to take Guzma under his wing and sort him out.

Now since Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon doesn't seem to be a sequel, I am unsure how the story will play out as I do not think that it will be 100% the same as Sun and Moon but more of a fusion to some degree.

This is speculation on my part. Been looking to see a Pokemon game that follows the same adventuring format but with new combat mechanics.

And I was pointing out how flawed the reasoning is, a spin-off game in a different genre has no relevance to what the original series is accomplishing. Even if a change is needed, how do you move from turn-based to action-based without compromising the strategy aspect? Furthermore, how do you tune the difficulty aspect? There are certain things that each system can do well, but for Pokemon, turn-based is fundamental and cannot be easily changed without compromising the more significant aspects of gameplay.

We're currently on Gen 7. And hey, it's better than Gen 6 at least.

That really isn't saying much though. GF should be looking to surpass Emerald, Platinum, HGSS, B2W2, not aiming to surpass the lowest bar set.

Cartho

Everything this guy said is true. Pokemon is not some special snowflake which would be super difficult to port. It seems like everyone at Nintendo is moving on and embracing the future - Switch. We've got Fire Emblem moving to it, they didn't even have anything to show in the FE direct but they still went and announced it - Fire Emblem Switch, coming 2018. We've got Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Xenoblade, Mario, Zelda. The list goes on - the majority of Nintendo's biggest names and franchises have all got something announced for Switch.

All except Pokemon. GF and TPC keep stubbornly refusing to join the modern world. I mean even that interview with the guy from GF where he said "if we do make a game for Switch we would need to drastically rethink the way Pokemon is played". Bollocks. Making it sound like it would be some vast, herculean undertaking. It wouldn't be. GF are lazy. Pure and simple.

You can't even use the "business sense" argument here as the best move from a business sense would have been to make it available on both systems. Don't pretend this wouldn't have been possible - Monster Hunter has managed it. They could have kept their existing fan base happy while also growing a fanbase on the Switch and showing what it can do in terms of HD graphics. Even a port would have been absolutely fine, no one was really expecting a totally new, from the ground up game, but GF couldn't even be arsed to do a port.

It is a shame that such a great IP is in the hands of such useless developers and such stubbornly old fashioned owners. Ninendo are, in many ways (but not all, as proven by the headset voice chat debacle), starting to move into modern times. They have released a superb, wonderful piece of hardware which has people excited and buying it in droves. They have a big group of talented dev teams enthusiastically working on it. Yet one of their all time biggest selling franchises, the franchise which has a Grand Theft Auto like selling power on Nintendo systems, is sadly owned and developed by a bunch of lazy, stubborn, stuck in their ways people. It really is a shame.

Anteo

Now this is a post I can get behind. One that actually blames gf and tpc.

Oswen

I am a bit confused.
Are these sequels like BW2 or are they "third versions" like Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum?
Or maybe a totally different story but still in the Alola region?

What do they mean with "new pokémon not seen in Sun/Moon"?
That's very vague, it could mean anything from pokémon absent in the Alola dex, Alola forms or even new pokémon, the latter seeming very strange for a game set in the same generation as the previous titles.

I'm not that excited to be honest, the announcement didn't feel that great.

Top Bottom