• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun for Nintendo 3DS

Puruzi

Banned
but the admittedly low amount we've seen so far suggests more of a second quest than a sequel.

No it doesn't. We have no idea how much new content is in it as we've only seen 30 seconds and the 3rd versions have always been sold at full price. This isn't a new thing.

MegaMelon

I don't get this sentiment. If they released something for both systems, we'd all be happy.

Still a bit confused by all these super harsh reactions, I fell for the Stars meme too but it was literally just a rumor. If you hyped yourself up you have only yourself to blame.

That's fair. My personal problem is more with the fact that the wording implies this is basically a Crystal/Platinum game rather than a totally new story. Plus no new pokemon or megas and GFs made it clear they don't care about postgame battle facilities anynore so I'm left thinking "Is this even worth playing?".

Megatron

Still a bit confused by all these super harsh reactions, I fell for the Stars meme too but it was literally just a rumor. If you hyped yourself up you have only yourself to blame.

It's not just that, but announcing a brand new, full priced still-on-3ds version of a 3ds game less than a year old is bullshit.

The worst thing about the Ultra Beast thing too is that there are so many of them. 8 or 9, and now it is possibly infecting the mascots as well. That's more than 10% of the new Pokemon this gen even if you count a Pokemon line individually.

Also, I can't be the only one to hope for faster combats ?

Sun feels slower than Black and overall, JRPG found some way to makes battles feel faster (Bravely Default or Persona 5 for example), would be nice to be Pokémon case.
We are never going to get Pokemon games as fast as Gen 5 or Gen 3 again

Phoenixus

No it doesn't. We have no idea how much new content is in it as we've only seen 30 seconds and the 3rd versions have always been sold at full price. This isn't a new thing.

It is indeed too early to say. I'd be happy to be wrong but that was my first thought when seeing the footage. :p

Blues1990

The longer GF has to work on Pokemon for Switch, the better.

Is it fair to say that the developers are deathly allergic to learn a new systems specs & inner-workings?That's the impression I got from hearing this announcement, as X/Y & Sun/Moon were not properly optimized for the Nintendo 3DS, and I generally don't care about Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon if they are going to run like shit on the 3DS (and similar devices).

Lots of folks mad this isn't also coming to Switch (I'm not mad about it, but it does mean I won't bother playing it), but my biggest complaint is finally getting Gold/Silver on the VC, but having that ALSO stuck on 3DS.

If G/S comes to Switch, then I'm totally happy.

Nintendo hasn't even talked about the future of the Virtual console, let alone if the Wii/Wii U/3DS libraries will be cross-compatible on the Nitnendo Switch.

Also, I can't be the only one to hope for faster combats ?

Sun feels slower than Black and overall, JRPG found some way to makes battles feel faster (Bravely Default or Persona 5 for example), would be nice to be Pokémon case.

Wait what really?

I've noticed there are times when the game sort of pauses mid battle after you've made a selection to calculate some stuff but overall it still felt faster than past games.

I see a lot of people complain about the preformance in Sun and Moon but its way better than in X&Y and beyond the small drops here and there its not that bad.

What the hell are they doing? This is a crap in the mouth for current Sun/Moon owners and a farce to announce this crap over a switch game.

Nintendo has a serious identity crisis I swear, my local shops all have 3ds/wiiu/switch games mashed together on the same wall and ALL 3 systems are never in stock, like fucking pick one and sell it already and get your retail marketing team off their asses...

I think you're having a minor crisis yourself there mate.

Apologies if this already has been said, but could these games possibly be like a dlc update to the Base games? Like how Animal Crossing New Leaf was upgraded last year. I doubt it'd be free, but the admittedly low amount we've seen so far suggests more of a second quest than a sequel.

Game freak doesnt like selling games with DLC to children. Thats why pokemon only does free DLC. They'd prefer to sell complete games.

I had mixed feelings about Pokemon Sun, but I completed the dex anyway. I'm feeling pretty jaded about Ultra Sun.

I'm going to need TONS of new things to make me even half interested. The Ultra-legendaries are meh like B2W2 Kyurem.

Edit: One way to secure my purchase is to give the remaining starters Mega Evolutions. I'm a sucker like that.

My problem with this is that they're taking the B/W 2 approach, which was ok, but a bit frivolous. You can tell that they're doing a merging thing with Necrozma, so is it really anything new?

I'll still get them for sure, but I wish it was something a little more original, like Sun/Moon was.

Ffy17tN_d.jpg

I'm not as jaded as Yahtzee but it at least points out that if your expectations are too high or off base, it's easy to be let down.

People have temper their expectations, or end up being disappointed by everything.

Nintendo met my expectations. I'd admit I wish there was more, and Ultra Sun and Moon could have been shown better, but I can't say it's not what I expected.

fhqwhgads

I can get the displeasure of the Capcom "Thanks for buying the game, now buy the super mega hyper turbo edition" approach, but getting mad about "Stars" or it not coming to switch is just classic GAF buying into hype way too much and getting mad at something that was entirely your own fault. Reactions needs to cool down a little before we can get a proper discussion on what the game might entail.

Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon or The Salt that Happens When You Talk Yourselves Into Believing an Unlikely Rumor While Ignoring the Precedent Game Freak has set Before.

First Pokemon title I'll be skipping. I am definitely NOT interested in touching my dusty ass 3DS XL. Switch or bust, Nintendo. What year is GameFreak living in?

2017 where the 3DS is Nintendo's most owned active system.

I mean, considering S/M only came out half a year ago, I didn't realize Game Freak was so pressed for time lol

I mean just look at with EAD Tokyo, they had to rush out a Switch Port For Breath of the Wild in 9 months! People complained about the performance for so long even though it was minor dips or freezes that occurred here and there. That's already an HD game to boot. How was GameFreak gonna make a game in the same time frame when they're already notorious for making games full of fun exploits and slowdown?

9 months! Thats' half the development time for a new pokemon game lol! ( They usually get made in two or 3 years)

Common sense needs to be used here

I am sitting here wondering how people can actually hate a body-building mosquito.

They care more about the design execution and ethos in terms of art direction more than they care about the concept, no matter how cool it is.

I dont trust gamefreak to design a pokemon that looks like Sharpedo anymore. All the new designs are werid shapes in repeat.

Still they always nail the starters pretty well. Decidueye is awesome.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I hope this alternative story follows the anime storyline because that shit is going wide left from the original S&M storyline.

LotusHD

Banned
I mean just look at with EAD Tokyo, they had to rush out a Switch port in 9 months! People complained about the performance for so long even though it was minor dips or freezes that occurred here and there. That's already an HD game to boot. How was GameFreak gonna make a game in the same time frame when they're already notorious for making game sfull of fun exploits and slowdown?

9 months! Thats' half the development time for a new pokemon game lol! ( They usually get made in two or 3 years)

Common sense needs to be used here

I'm not so much talking about releasing a Switch port today as well (Though obviously that would've been cool), but more like, if they would need more time to have a simultaneous Switch port ready, I dunno why they couldn't have waited since S/M came not that long ago. Then "everyone" could've been presumably satisfied.

But whatever, what's done is done.

I hope this alternative story follows the anime storyline because that shit is going wide left from the original S&M storyline.

I need to catch up on that lol

LotusHD

Banned
if you thought LWA was boring I don't think you're gonna be into the Sun and Moon anime tbh

Good point, but the new way it's been animated intrigued me. Just kind of fell off... because it's the Pokemon anime, but I always liked to entertain that I'd come back to it lol

yrba1

Nintendo's not obligated to do that. The actual process of doing that takes time. Any other way we'd be hearing people bitching about them doing announcements from late 2018 lol.

Glad someone understands how game development works. It isn't as simple as copy pasting assets and core mechanics, then assuming it'll turn out great. I'm expecting GF & Nintendo to tread carefully on how to make a Switch Pokemon game polished. We scratched the 3D world 4 years ago with X and Y. Doesn't help releasing a game on a console that is currently notorious for supply issues.

Hoping the next Switch Pokemon game won't have frame tearing.

I dont trust gamefreak to design a pokemon that looks like Sharpedo anymore. All the new designs are werid shapes in repeat.

Still they always nail the starters pretty well. Decidueye is awesome.

Eh, I feel like every gen has its fair share of good and bad designs (imo Sharpedo is one of the bad) but S&M had quite a lot of them that I really liked. Ribombee, Mareanie, Lurantis, Bewear, Drampa, etc. Alola forms tend to look a lot better than mega evolutions, too.

LotusHD

Banned
Eh, I feel like every gen has its fair share of good and bad designs (imo Sharpedo is one of the bad) but S&M had quite a lot of them that I really liked. Ribombee, Mareanie, Lurantis, Bewear, Drampa, etc. Alola forms tend to look a lot better than mega evolutions, too.

This, people complain all the time about newer designs, when the simple truth is every gen has its good and bad ones, its mediocre ones, the memorable ones, the ones that get pushed (Lucario, Zoroark, etc.) Every time people act like Pokemon designs have lost their way (Ultra Beasts aside, which is clearly the point however), I always laugh.

Mr-Joker

Banned
My problem with this is that they're taking the B/W 2 approach, which was ok, but a bit frivolous. You can tell that they're doing a merging thing with Necrozma, so is it really anything new?

I'll still get them for sure, but I wish it was something a little more original, like Sun/Moon was.

It is something new as Solgaleo and Lunala aren't fusing with Necrozma but rather using Necrozma to power themselves up like a power amour.

Furthermore we still have no idea if Necrozma himself is also getting a new form, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

Because the 3DS has a bigger install base than the Switch, the 3DS is much cheaper and more accessible to children than the Switch is, Game Freak doesn't want to split the generation across two hardware and would rather prefer starting fresh on a new hardware with a new generation.

Also anyone still upset about Ultra Sun and Moon not being on the Switch need to remember this, it would still look and play like a 3DS game just with a fancier graphic not exactly a good look to be series debut on a HD console.

Puruzi

Banned
Also anyone still upset about Ultra Sun and Moon not being on the Switch need to remember this, it would still look and play like a 3DS game just with a fancier graphic not exactly a good look to be series debut on a HD console.

Sun and Moon in HD on Citra with the lines removed actually looks really good tbh, aside from some subpar face textures

Blue-kun

The only thing that irks me about this whole situation is that Sun and Moon totally ruined the online experience on 3DS with the Festival Plaza thing and, at the time, everyone sort of thought they did it because it was in preparation for the Switch move and what not.

And yet, the new version of those games is here and... it's still 3DS only. So, what was the point? Might as well have gone with the old way, where the lower screen was used for pretty much everything internet related and you were online at all times without needing to go through countless menus and stuff to trade with a friend.

I bet US/UM will still keep the Festival Plaza stuff, too, so honestly speaking I'm just thinking of skipping it, unless there's some major content announced for the post-game that makes it worth buying. Because, yeah -- I had zero willingness to get online in these games and the single player content was just alright, I wasn't too impressed.

Glad someone understands how game development works. It isn't as simple as copy pasting assets and core mechanics, then assuming it'll turn out great. I'm expecting GF & Nintendo to tread carefully on how to make a Switch Pokemon game polished. We scratched the 3D world 4 years ago with X and Y. Doesn't help releasing a game on a console that is currently notorious for supply issues.

Hoping the next Switch Pokemon game won't have frame tearing.

Sun and Moon have frame tearing? o_0?

I'm not so much talking about releasing a Switch port today as well (Though obviously that would've been cool), but more like, if they would need more time to have a simultaneous Switch port ready, I dunno why they couldn't have waited since S/M came not that long ago. Then "everyone" could've been presumably satisfied.

But whatever, what's done is done.

I need to catch up on that lol

Sure whats done is done, but in this alternate universe you'd still have people going on and on and on about the rumors, waiting for months to hear about pokemon stars with Nintendo being absolutely silent about pokemon for another year and half EVEN though they only have Pokken to release. All so people can be kept "happy"

Because Eurogamer leaked out a false rumor and caused an uproar over literally NOTHING. What company has time to put up with unrealistic expectations?

This is what Reggie meant by saying that "gamers are insatiable"

The only thing that irks me about this whole situation is that Sun and Moon totally ruined the online experience on 3DS with the Festival Plaza thing and, at the time, everyone sort of thought they did it because it was in preparation for the Switch move and what not.

And yet, the new version of those games is here and... it's still 3DS only. So, what was the point? Might as well have gone with the old way, where the lower screen was used for pretty much everything internet related and you were online at all times without needing to go through countless menus and stuff to trade with a friend.

I bet US/UM will still keep the Festival Plaza stuff, too, so honestly speaking I'm just thinking of skipping it again unless there's some major content announced for the post-game that makes it worth buying. Because, yeah -- I had zero willingness to get online in these games and the single player content was just alright, I wasn't too impressed.

Why do you dislike Festival Plaza? I love it personally. It took a minute to learn how everything works, but I've come to enjoy it more than I liked the Join Avenue ( I still play X&Y pretty regularly)

brinstar

This generation has literally just started.

No generation has been less than three years long.

so out of curiousity Joe what do you think they've got planned for the rest of the gen considering they already burned through the remaining mythicals?

JoeM86

Stars was a codename. We don't know if these two games are Stars.

Their logo indicates that, if Stars exists and is a codename, then this is probably it.
so out of curiousity Joe what do you think they've got planned for the rest of the gen considering they already burned through the remaining mythicals?

I personally think this is it, next year is a year off and 2019 is Gen 8

Note: the above is speculation based on past precedent and not indicative of insider knowledge

Toxi

Banned
There's nothing exciting about the actual reveal. We're getting two versions instead of one again, we're not getting a sequel this time, and the new versions of the legendaries look fucking ugly.

Busaiku

More Mythicals can be introduced with this.
Like lots Hoopa Unbound and lots of Megas weren't in the data of X/Y.

Blue-kun

Why do you dislike Festival Plaza? I love it personally. It took a minute to learn how everything works, but I've come to enjoy it more than I liked the Join Avenue ( I still play X&Y pretty regularly)

I don't particularly care for any of the mini-games and stuff you can do over there, and while I don't mind the shop rotation and what not, the thing that bothered me the most is that whenever I wanted to do ANYTHING online in my game I'd have to pause, go through menus, leave the place where I was at and have my character access this random place in the middle of nothing. Then go through yet more menus that really weren't all that well designed in order to do a really simple trade.

Compared to having your friends' avatars showing up in the lower screen and initiating a trade just by clicking them at any given time in XY/ORAS, I felt like we went massively backwards. I don't really hate Festival Plaza itself, it's more the fact that it became the 'hub' for anything online, and whereas the previous two games felt like the online was seamlessly integrated into the experience, Plaza made everything more complicated, time consuming etc.

Siege.exe

Shamelessly stealing ideas from Twitter: We see our cover legends with pieces of another legend, who previously had very little story significance, bolted onto them. We also have a certain scientist who loves to unlock the potential of things visiting the region. What you doin over there, Colress? Some cool shit?

Puruzi

Banned
Tbh I loved Sun and Moon and they are far and away my favorite Pokemon games but I really didn't like Festival Plaza. It was a cute thing but it shouldn't have been the only way to do online battles and trade. PSS was so much smoother and just more user friendly.

I wouldn't mind Fetival Plaza if the PSS was still in but as it is I kinda hate it

Bewear is trash. It's so simplistic and muted in its colar pallete. Its a bunch of basic shapes.

You know what it reminds me of? Those streamers they put in front of a car dealership to attract people to the shop

9.jpg

A good pokemon design is Komala, an idea reimagined as a full realized pokemon rather than a collection of weird shapes and 3 basic colors.

Personally, this is the first generation where I've ACTIVELY disliked or hated any of the Pokemon designs and I've been playing this series for 17 years now lmao.

Top Bottom