• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun for Nintendo 3DS

mandiller

People act like the Switch needs Pokémon right now. It doesn't. It's currently selling out without Pokémon. Mainline Pokémon games never release with a low install base. Check the records. Nintendo is making a good business decision here.

People want to be reassured that Switch is Nintendo's new handheld and that it'll get games like Pokemon rather than Nintendo releasing some other sort of handheld in a year or two. At the moment we're getting console ports.

Producer

nice, i wonder what changes it will have. Hoping for better online (no festival plaza or at least improve it), more stuff to do postgame..more customization items. More daily events too

I want to add that I don't get why people are so confused on Nintendo still supporting the 3DS, when they explicitly said that they'd continue supporting the 3DS after the Switch came out. 3DS still makes money for them and it's a welcome change to see Nintendo not completely drop a system just because a new one is coming up. (See Gamecube, Wii, Wii U)

I second this. I thought it was a bit silly people expecting a new handheld Pokemon game to be on the Switch. Most people who are Pokemon's demographic don't even own a Switch.

GoldStarz

People want to be reassured that Switch is Nintendo's new handheld and that it'll get games like Pokemon rather than Nintendo releasing some other sort of handheld in a year or two. At the moment we're getting console ports.

Honestly though, what would be a problem with them having a hybrid and handheld though? I don't think it would happen, but what would be the problem that comes from it? All it ends up meaning is that now you have a console that has a level of portability.

Lebon14

I am very happy to see that 7th Gen will finish on 3DS! I did NOT want to invest in a Switch, even more at a 400$CAD price point (and that's just the console mind you). Heck, I just bought moon and I'm waiting on the New Nintendo 2DS to play it which only releases next month. (and that handheld will replace my defunct OG 3DS that... died in an app. fire; still have it for the serial#, doesn't work anymore) I don't plan to invest in a switch anytime soon. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I would only buy one near the end of its life where a crapton of bundles are available and whatnot.

I guess that some people's salt is an other's sugar.

And that reminds me of the time they announced B2/W2 for the DS. At the time, the 3DS was released and I was an early adopter and I remember being extremely salty about it; like most people in this thread except 3DS -> Switch. But please remember guys: Nintendo see the Switch as a console, not an handheld. And, if an even more portative version of Switch isn't released, I wouldn't even be surprised if 8th Gen would also be on 3DS.

Honestly though, what would be a problem with them having a hybrid and handheld though? I don't think it would happen, but what would be the problem that comes from it? All it ends up meaning is that now you have a console that has a level of portability.
It means Nintendo is back with the same problems they had before; needing to support two different systems with games. Not to mention, with the Switch being positioned the way it is, a 2-in-1 device that you can play on the go and at home, it makes adding in a pure handheld rather redundant

It would defeat 100% of the Switch's appeal for me.

I would sell it the moment it became clear that they were pulling that shit and not just TPC acting a fool.

I've had Moon since launch and haven't even gotten much further than the first Pokecenter (so I could get the limited time offer Slowpoke or whatever it was), haha. I liked it, it just got lost in my backlog. Honestly, I had almost forgotten about it until this Nintendo Direct was announced.

I'll wait for all the new/changed Pokemon to be revealed so I can buy the Ultra version that I can get the majority of the Pokemon in conjunction with my OG Moon.

Not surprised it didn't come to Switch, Gamefreak does like to milk each generation for as long as they possibly can. Would have still been nice to get the games on both systems, but oh well.

BooJoh

People don't want to carry around two gaming devices. Some of us are already carrying around both a 3DS and a Switch, and would rather consolidate.

Personally I'm completely neutral to this news and will happily keep playing 3DS as long as it keeps getting games, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't prefer Pokemon on Switch, especially if it's mostly the same as the Pokemon game I bought last year.

GoldStarz

It means Nintendo is back with the same problems they had before; needing to support two different systems with games. Not to mention, with the Switch being positioned the way it is, a 2-in-1 device that you can play on the go and at home, it makes adding in a pure handheld rather redundant
Except Nintendo's problem with the Wii U wasn't that they weren't supporting it, it's that they didn't support it fast enough (and the whole name thing, too).

Also, I disagree that it makes the portability redundant. Some people just don't have the time to play games at home, making a console also be portable eliminates that. Given how Japan has shifted away from consoles in recent years because of that issue specifically, it's not impossible to see how Nintendo could use that as a way to implement a fix for their place in the console market.

It would defeat 100% of the Switch's appeal for me.

I would sell it the moment it became clear that they were pulling that shit and not just TPC acting a fool.

Can you explain what the appeal is for you?

Kudo

What's the point of competing with yourself?

Jubenhimer

Except Nintendo's problem with the Wii U wasn't that they weren't supporting it, it's that they didn't support it fast enough (and the whole name thing, too).

And why do you think that is? Because they also had to prop up the 3DS with games too. Then there's also Nintendo being unprepared for HD development, which also slowed their output as well. The Switch is a chance for Nintendo to start fresh, cutting out the middle man, and focusing almost entirely on a single platform for their main development.

Wildo09

We have precedent for this, it was literally the same exact situation with Black 2/ White 2. There really is no need to freak out. Why are people freaking out?

SoulUnison

Banned
We have precedent for this, it was literally the same exact situation with Black 2/ White 2. There really is no need to freak out. Why are people freaking out?

We don't know that yet.

We don't even know if these are "sequels" or "expansions,"much less the content or upgrades that are coming with them, so it's not "literally the exact same situation," because we have NO IDEA what the "situation" is yet.

You're just saying "I'm not freaking out, so nobody should, because my feelings are universal."

BooJoh

And why do you think that is? Because they also had to prop up the 3DS with games too. Then there's also Nintendo being unprepared for HD development, which also slowed their output as well. The Switch is a chance for Nintendo to start fresh, cutting out the middle man, and focusing almost entirely on a single platform for their main development.

Except that "starting fresh" by throwing out your most popular system on the market and abandoning it while your new system is still in its infancy would be not only premature but completely foolish as a business decision.

The safest thing for Nintendo to do if they want the Switch to be their only system is take their time in transitioning so that stock can stabilize and the install base can grow. In the meantime the tens of millions of 3DS owners will be buying new software to fund development of future Switch endeavors.

brinstar

The eurogamer rumor from last year and a bunch of folks backing it up energized ppl into expecting a Switch game even if it seemed unlikely.

People were mad then too IIRC, and this time there's not nearly 2 years between the games, but instead exactly one year.

Also, I disagree that it makes the portability redundant. Some people just don't have the time to play games at home, making a console also be portable eliminates that. Given how Japan has shifted away from consoles in recent years because of that issue specifically, it's not impossible to see how Nintendo could use that as a way to implement a fix for their place in the console market.
Kind of hard to support the Wii U quickly when they also had to support the 3DS. Of course, the Wii U had other problems as well, several of them, but, in terms of games, that was probably the biggest one

Oh no, I don't think it makes portability redundant. The Switch makes another Nintendo handheld redundant because it can effectively be used as a handheld

WadeitOut

Because not putting it on their brand spanking new console/portable hybrid is ridiculously stupid.

I'm okay with the Ultra versions being on the 3DS. I still use my 3DS and there are many titles to be released this year that I'm looking forward to playing. In spite of the Stars rumours, I never expected a Switch exclusive. However, after the Switch Monster Hunter reveal, I thought a cross-platform title might be possible.

I'm guessing we'll see Gen 8 next year for the Switch, unless Gamefreak skip 2018. With a smaller number of mythical legendaries, I suspected Gen 7 would have a shorter lifespan than most generations.

Well we are getting Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem, both of which are associated heavily with the 3DS at the moment. We're getting Pokemon on the Switch. It's only a matter of time.

Wildo09

We don't know that yet.

We don't even know if these are "sequels" or "expansions,"much less the content or upgrades that are coming with them, so it's not "literally the exact same situation," because we have NO IDEA what the "situation" is yet.

You're just saying "I'm not freaking out, so nobody should, because my feelings are universal."

You are stuck on technicalities.

B/W 2
- Story continuation from previous game.
- Heavily reused assets.
- Two versions with enhanced legendaries from previous version.
- Released on the handheld with the most installbase at the time and that's still selling lots of software.

Ultra S/M
- Alternate story.
- Heavily reused assets.
- Released on the handheld with the most installbase at the time and that's still selling lots of software.

They probably just want to make the new generation or remake from the ground up to really take advantage of Switch capabilities.

Why is it stupid. The switch doesn't have the user base of the 3DS. It is not the PMC/GF's job to support the system.
Did he suggest only putting it on Switch?

This 'install base' crap is nonsense. It should be on both systems. Nintendo should be adding value to the Switch and a major handheld-only IP would do that.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Because not putting it on their brand spanking new console/portable hybrid is ridiculously stupid.

The time difference between the US launch of the 3DS and the US launch of B&W2: 18 Months

The time difference between the US launch of the Switch and the US launch of US&UM: 8 Months

It'll be fine. Breathe.

WadeitOut

Why is it stupid. The switch doesn't have the user base of the 3DS. It is not the PMC/GF's job to support the system.

Because it would get a crazy high attach rate and help sell systems, which in turn increases sales even more for the game itself, all by simply porting it.

It'll be fine. Breathe.

Yeah I'm out of breath because I said something was stupid. Going to need an oxygen hit after that one.

You are stuck on technicalities.

B/W 2
- Story continuation from previous game.
- Heavily reused assets.

Ultra S/M
- Alternate story.
- Heavily reused assets.

They probably just want to make the new generation or remake from the ground up to really take advantage of Switch capabilities.

This. Though I'm not confident remakes would be the first Pokemon games to launch on the Switch, it's within the realm of possibilities. I expect Gen 8 titles to set the standard for Nintendo's new hardware.

Too the surprise of noone who actually plays Pokemon, they made the next Pokemon games for 3DS. Next up: People will be surprised at no pokemon game in 2018 since its Pokemon's off year and no Switch game until Holiday 2019 when Gen VIII arrives.

What is shocking is that it seems like it is a third version. I hope it is a sequel since third versions are scummy, but the reveal was overall bad marketing that just confused me on if it was a third version or sequel.

I wonder when amazon will have these up. My prime free trial expires the 15th so hopefully soon. Still not sure if I'll get it, they need to actually say what it is first, but I wanna preorder just incase for that preorder discount. >_>

So when can we expect a Pokemon switch game? I can understand the decision to suck with the 3DS but I do wonder how long it will be before the switch gets its own mainline Pokemon game.

I don't know if I buy the user base argument. How much are we expecting this game to sell? Because if the rumours are true we could be looking at anywhere from 13-20 million switches sold by next March. Considering Pokemon games usually have long legs I see no reason a Pokemon game released on switch this year couldn't sell as much or more than the 3DS version.

In the end this game is re using a lot of assets so it's probably cheaper and quicker to go with a 3DS game. I'm just hoping they're already making a switch version so it can be ready either late 2018 or early 2019.

Nintendo should, why should the pokemon company invest on that?
Because it will sell incredible well? Yeah, the install base is small but would that suggest there's 'no point' in porting Mario Kart? Pokken?

How many copies would they actually need to sell to justify the port? You can guarantee most people with a Switch would at least be interested.

and the Pokémon Company should care because it's the only system they make their games for. Mainly because Nintendo owns a decent amount of TPC and own all the trade marks. Are we suggesting Nintendo don't have leverage here?

We don't know that yet.

People shouldnt be freaking out either way

Im glad you're not running any business as you'd not be cognisant of the stock issues or the time issues in making such a product feasible at this point in time.

Because it will sell incredible well? Yeah, the install base is small but would that suggest there's 'no point' in porting Mario Kart? Pokken?

How many copies would they actually need to sell to justify the port? You can guarantee most people with a Switch would at least be interested.

and the Pokémon Company should care because it's the only system they make their games for. Mainly because Nintendo owns a decent amount of TPC and own all the trade marks. Are we suggesting Nintendo don't have leverage here?

Am I suggesting that if Nintendo want to have a pokemon game on the switch, they would pay for the development of the port.

Because at this rate either the switch becomes viable to them (unlikely given they don't want to pay for console assets/graphics), or they go mobile where they can get away with the game for cheap.

The time difference between the US launch of the 3DS and the US launch of B&W2: 18 Months

The time difference between the US launch of the Switch and the US launch of US&UM: 8 Months

It'll be fine. Breathe.

This right here is a great example, look at the time.

How did anyone expect a pokemon game to show up within 8 months of the system? The dev cycle cant account for that

Top Bottom