• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokken Tournament for Wii U (Spring 2016 WW) Announced at Pokemon World Championships

Seiniyta

>Players TBD

hmm... I guess they're wondering if they can do local multi with gamepad + pro controller

I'm not so much concerned about the controllers and more about if they'll do it splitscreen or one screen. Ifi t's one screen it could be akward with one pokemon obscuring the other's view and not able to see what's going on.

Not an issue when it's 2 systems in Lan, but I imagine that for fighting game tournaments that would be a huge pain.

Sheroking

This makes me think NX will be 2017, because if it was 2016, this would have been a great launch game. There still could be an NX port I guess. I look forward to seeing how Amiibos are used, which you know is inevitable.

I don't think it would be a particularly good launch title, but even if it were, this is an arcade port, on an engine that already runs on Wii U, due out in Spring. NX would be 6-7 months later if it were to release in 2016.

So basically, it suggests nothing about NX whatsoever.

TreIII

Expected but good to hear, anyway. They were likely developing both the arcade and console versions in tandem, with the arcade version being the "open beta" to test characters as they're ready.

I'd love to see 26 characters like Melee, but I expect 16 or so at launch. I'd be kinda underwhelmed if there were less than that, and I feel that's a reasonable expectation for a first installment in a series.

Yeah 16 would be enough as long as they were all the biggest crowd pleasers. And then there's all the Support Pokemon as well as the potential for DLC.

And with the NX on the horizon it wouldn't surprise me if they began immediate development on a sequel of some kind providing it gets a positive reception.

Effect

Smash Bros. is also a lot harder to write netcode for than a traditional fighter.

I imagine Tekken Tag 2 would be a better barometer and it was totally fine, as far as I recall.

This. It makes me wonder how much better the net code for other Namco fighting games going forward is going to be after putting in the work they did on Smash Bros.

ash_ag

>Players TBD

hmm... I guess they're wondering if they can do local multi with gamepad + pro controller

Maybe they could do one person on GamePad's screen, the other on TV, but two people on the same screen doesn't sound possible with Pokkén's asymmetric stage. I hope they use the asymmetry when streaming the fights. Switching from one perspective to another would make the fights look quite dynamic.

Oh man this looks great! I'm not the biggest fan of fighting games but I'm definitely going to pick this up just because it's Pokemon.

Will the roster be more than the 10(?) confirmed so far

vall03

Excited for this, but are the list of playable Pokemons final? It seems like a very sparse list. Would like to have more.

Zalman

This makes me think NX will be 2017, because if it was 2016, this would have been a great launch game. There still could be an NX port I guess. I look forward to seeing how Amiibos are used, which you know is inevitable.
Pokkén strikes me as a game they want to build upon in the years to come. It makes sense to debut it on Wii U where it'll easily become a million-seller.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm not so much concerned about the controllers and more about if they'll do it splitscreen or one screen. Ifi t's one screen it could be akward with one pokemon obscuring the other's view and not able to see what's going on.

Not an issue when it's 2 systems in Lan, but I imagine that for fighting game tournaments that would be a huge pain.

That's what I meant - one player would be gamepad the other would be on the TV. But wouldn't that be taxing to the system like how Hyrule Warriors felt?

Koppai

Yasssssss! I have been following this since it launched and glad it's getting worldwide release at the same time. Wonder if they will make amiibo for it too :O

DarkTom

Great news, it's weird that they did not announce it at E3, given the lackluster line-up they had and their focus on 2015 and early 2016 games.

Does anyone not know how shit Nintendo Network is? Smash 1v1 online is okay at best, something Namco also handled. Nothing shitty about my post.
Nintendo Network aint shit though. What games have you played just smash bros.? Even smash bros is just as good as other fighting games online. Need to play some more games.

Nintendo Network aint shit though. What games have you played just smash bros.? Even smash bros is just as good as other fighting games online. Need to play some more games.

It couldn't even handle the release of DLC. NN is garbage. I would hope Pokken has competent online capabilities but there really hasn't been a game on the system that isn't missing some normal feature for online modes.

mStudios

It couldn't even handle the release of DLC. NN is garbage. I would hope Pokken has competent online capabilities but there really hasn't been a game on the system that isn't missing some normal feature for online modes.

Thousands of people(maybe close to millions) hitting the server at the same time is not equal to shitty servers.

ZeroX03

Banned
Does anyone not know how shit Nintendo Network is? Smash 1v1 online is okay at best, something Namco also handled. Never mind I am also talking about starting private matches etc. Nothing shitty about my post.

Using WiFi or Ethernet? You shouldn't be playing Smash over wireless.

NNID's download and eShop servers are completely separate from game servers and have no baring over netcode. All servers break if you throw enough people at them, doesn't mean a thing about gameplay conditions under normal load.

What DLC you talking about? I can think of network problems with any console this gen I guess we can call them all shit. You just having played anything except smash bros.

Exile20

Using WiFi or Ethernet? You shouldn't be playing Smash over wireless.

NNID's download and eShop servers are completely separate from game servers and have no baring over netcode. All servers break if you throw enough people at them, doesn't mean a thing about gameplay conditions under normal load.

Any fighting game should never be played over wifi.

MK8 is great
Splatoon is great too but ofcourse players from Japan will lag like any game that is not region matchmaking.

Kriken

Delicious.

image.php

Exile20

Comparatively to the other console manufacturers, it is. Lets not kid ourselves in thinking Nintendo's servers are anything but mediocre.

Stop derailing the thread.

Anyway they have a lot of time to get the roster up hopefully.
Although the arcade game is made controls, doesn't mean that sticks can't be made right?

Top Bottom