• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

Lady Gaia

Of course Sony didn't pull Neo out of their ass. What I meant was that it almost seems as if someone felt compelled to leak Neo stuff perhaps sooner than planned because Phil said something. It's too much of a coincidence the way that played out.

I sincerely doubt it. Sony needed to brief developers if they were going to change requirements for games launching this September, and did so privately at GDC. They had to reach out and it's a natural place to connect with a large number of your third parties. Unfortunately, it leaked almost immediately. The tone I heard when talking to connected folk at the time was one of resignation.

If the leak was intentional there would have been a follow-up plan. As it is, we're left guessing whether there will be any more information before the fall. Microsoft is doing a credible job of leveraging second mover advantage at the moment but they'll be forced into the opposite role in E3 press conferences.

I think it's safe to assume that both MS and Sony have been working on their new hardware for a while now.

I can't see either of them showing new improved hardware at E3, these machines need their own stand-alone events.

I dont see how they cant announce something at this point. The info is all out there and the release is likely sometime next year, or even this year if Neo rumos are correct. I dont see how e3 will pass with no mention of either console. I wouldnt take that bet.

I dont see how they cant announce something at this point. The info is all out there and the release is likely sometime next year, or even this year if Neo rumos are correct. I dont see how e3 will pass with no mention of either console. I wouldnt take that bet.

There will be other occasions (Gamescom, TGS, Paris Games Week and private events as well), also Microsoft probably will focus on their Xbox Slim.

There will be other occasions (Gamescom, TGS, Paris Games Week and private events as well), also Microsoft probably will focus on their Xbox Slim.

True, but i still cant see how its not even mentioned at all after all these leaks. Maybe not full fledged details but nothing at all? I dont see it.

Servbot24

Banned
Yeah, i'm really not expecting anything in regards to 'Scorpio' at E3, except maybe a slight tease
Same. Announcing a console update that doesn't come til next year would stunt XB1 sales, which would stunt XBox brand interest, which would stunt Scorpio sales when it does come.

Detective

I fail to see how reporting a simple fact means fighting "the good fight", so yeah, you can take that back.

FACT...People are really starting misuse this word.

How the fuck do you know for a FACT that X started first? Just because X was first to say it? You do realise how media works?

Does it exist? Have you seen them working on it first? Have anyone seen that publicly?

There is no facts here. Its speculation.

icespide

Banned
there are 3 kinds of bad posts in this thread:

- console warz garbage
- passive aggressive accusations of console warz
- me speculating about HDMI-in

- console warz garbage

If someone made a play out of this thread, my part should be the drowned out, mostly optimistic voice of reason that usually goes unnoticed.

You'll be Self Deprecating Man.

MilkyJoe

This thread will be locked very soon, I fear...

So a fella on Twitter says Xbox slim is codenamed Edmonton, in case anyone cares...

Ah the usual suspects projecting their own mindsets onto others with hit n run driveby posts. Including but not limited to seasoned veterans and previously banned alts. What a pleasant surprise for an Xbox thread!

I don't give a monkeys who 'announced' first, the fact remains that neither of them have announced in an official capacity, but MS are the only ones to acknowledge their new hardware plans in any real terms, specifically with an on stage speech earlier this year. That's what mostly started all this new hardware talk, the Neo stuff came later. All that will clearly change as of next week.

But yes, everything is "for the warz". Some of you lot need to grow up, seriously.

A few people fact checked and corrected your mis-information, you are the only one getting out if line and angry over silliness.

pieface

Could anyone really care for a slim version of the current Xbox?

I don't know why anyone was remotely bothered by the size of the current one, I have two of them and have never once felt they were too big.

JaggedSac

I don't know why anyone was remotely bothered by the size of the current one, I have two of them and have never once felt they were too big.

If I owned a 4K tv and wanted to play 4k content and UHD blu rays, then maybe.

If the Slim is announced with a Price drop, then it might move a needle. Otherwise, i think we all are waiting for the next big thing. :p

edit:

Wait, has it been confirmed the slim will indeed support 4k output of Media?

FACT...People are really starting misuse this word.

How the fuck do you know for a FACT that X started first? Just because X was first to say it? You do realise how media works?

Does it exist? Have you seen them working on it first? Have anyone seen that publicly?

There is no facts here. Its speculation.

I was only referring to the "who was the first to publicly mention it" part.

gamz

Depends what features it has.

cakely

Given the choice I'd rather have the slim than the current one. It's quite large and so is the power supply.

The 360 gen was kind of unique ... thanks to the swappable hard drives I was able to buy the "arcade" edition of the newer model consoles and just swap the drive. I ended up doing it twice.

I don't think I'll end up buying the slim Xbox One. The white one under my TV is still perfectly functional.

Do you guys think it's likely that MS will have to Xbox One from now on. The regular fat that's out right now for $300, and then a disc drive-less slim for $250 or less at the same time.

Giving it a second thought, IF MS were to do a rebrand, then they probably wouldn't want the old fat sticking around.

MilkyJoe

I quite like the look of the current one. It's a little bit chunky but it's the tiniest of inconvenience for silence.

Do you guys think it's likely that MS will have to Xbox One from now on. The regular fat that's out right now for $300, and then a disc drive-less slim for $250 or less at the same time.

Giving it a second thought, IF MS were to do a rebrand, then they probably wouldn't want the old fat sticking around.

The fat one will probably be entirely replaced by the Slim one.

Given the choice I'd rather have the slim than the current one. It's quite large and so is the power supply.

The 360 gen was kind of unique ... thanks to the swappable hard drives I was able to buy the "arcade" edition of the newer model consoles and just swap the drive. I ended up doing it twice.

I don't think I'll end up buying the slim Xbox One. The white one under my TV is still perfectly functional.

Not to mention the white version is sexy.

As for me, if a slim is announced, I'll be interested in the space savings I would get in my current setup.

Still waiting to see what they say for "trading in" "used" software though.

They dont have a choice to keep it around for now, they need to sell whats left of them in stores.

The slim will still be an xbox one. That brand isnt going away with the slim.

What are the odds on the XB1 Slim being water-cooled? With the insider hints that it won't have an external power brick and also be ~40% thinner I would think that it would require a more intricate cooling solution.

gamz

What are the odds on the XB1 Slim being water-cooled? With the insider hints that it won't have an external power brick and also be ~40% thinner I would think that it would require a more intricate cooling solution.

I'm pretty sure it will be. At least going by rumors.

pastrami

The PS4 is about 35% thinner than the Xbox One. It's not going to be some miracle if Microsoft can get the slim to 40% thinner, especially if they went with a die shrink to 20nm.

l2JJswqygQROMnq5q.gif

wachie

Ah the usual suspects projecting their own mindsets onto others with hit n run driveby posts. Including but not limited to seasoned veterans and previously banned alts. What a pleasant surprise for an Xbox thread!

I don't give a monkeys who 'announced' first, the fact remains that neither of them have announced in an official capacity, but MS are the only ones to acknowledge their new hardware plans in any real terms, specifically with an on stage speech earlier this year. That's what mostly started all this new hardware talk, the Neo stuff came later. All that will clearly change as of next week.

But yes, everything is "for the warz". Some of you lot need to grow up, seriously.
This post is hilarious, especially when he was the one with the goal post moving and then finally throws a fit.

FordGTGuy

Banned

- console warz garbage

You forgot:

- concern trolling about Scorpio.

Only thing that I know of that would point towards water-cooling is that Lumia 950 XL which was water-cooled, that's about it. Yes, that's a water-cooled phone... could have been a proof of concept on a small APU for future water cooling applications on larger devices using APUs like consoles and Surfaces..

It just doesn't make sense from a PR and marketing perspective to either talk about something that is 6, 12, 18 months away from release or that will detract column inches and mindshare away from the games they want to promote.

That is unless its coming out this year and all the rumours and speculation are wrong.

As someone who works in advertising it just sounds like the worst brief ever, to announce and promote a new console whilst the madness of E3 is in full swing .

Just my tuppence worth though.

pastrami

Only thing that I know of that would point towards water-cooling is that Lumia 950 XL which was water-cooled, that's about it. Yes, that's a water-cooled phone... could have been a proof of concept on a small APU for future water cooling applications on larger devices using APUs like consoles and Surfaces..

If you think heat pipes is watercooling (which it technically is, but not in the traditional use of the word), then the PS4 and Xbox One are already "watercooled."

EagleEyes

I sure as hell hope the Xbox One slim doesn't end up sounding like my PS4. Thats one of the great things about the current model and could not care less about the size of it. Are you listening Microsoft??? lol

FordGTGuy

Banned
If you think heat pipes is watercooling (which it technically is, but not in the traditional use of the word), then the PS4 and Xbox One are already "watercooled."

"While such systems are common in the gaming space -- and are even found in some gaming laptops -- this is the first (in my recollection) that we've heard about the technology in the smartphone space. Under load, or when using certain functions (e.g. the GPS), modern smartphones can get quite hot, particularly the battery and system-on-a-chip (SoC). Presumably Microsoft is utilizing some sort of internal capillary system with an inert, evaporative closed cooling loop. But we shall see shortly."

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+...+w+Windows+10+Liquid+Cooling/article37499.htm

Looks like you're right, but it shows that the hardware team is capable of pushing the limits on designs and trying new things.

pastrami

"While such systems are common in the gaming space -- and are even found in some gaming laptops -- this is the first (in my recollection) that we've heard about the technology in the smartphone space. Under load, or when using certain functions (e.g. the GPS), modern smartphones can get quite hot, particularly the battery and system-on-a-chip (SoC). Presumably Microsoft is utilizing some sort of internal capillary system with an inert, evaporative closed cooling loop. But we shall see shortly."

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+...+w+Windows+10+Liquid+Cooling/article37499.htm

Is this just describing heat pipes?

Yes. From wikipedia:

"At the hot interface of a heat pipe a liquid in contact with a thermally conductive solid surface turns into a vapor by absorbing heat from that surface. The vapor then travels along the heat pipe to the cold interface and condenses back into a liquid – releasing the latent heat. The liquid then returns to the hot interface through either capillary action, centrifugal force, or gravity, and the cycle repeats."

It's pretty cool (no pun intended) that Microsoft implemented one on their phones, but it's not some exotic fancy technology.

Top Bottom