• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

AmyS

I am pretty certain that talk Spencer gave about updated revisions came before the first Neo leak. And at that point (when you tell the press) Scorpio must have been at least a year in development. So no, they most certainly were not surprised by Neo.

Agreed. No way was Microsoft surprised by Neo. Phil Spencer's talk and all, but long before that, in July 2014 (when Xbone was less than a year old) we have this:

Microsoft job posts: Xbox industrial designer for next gen + software engineer

Industrial Designer - Microsoft Devices Group - Xbox Industrial Design

The Xbox Industrial Design studio is building a world class in house team. We love entertainment. We live for building transformative entertainment experiences that resonate with consumers. We are looking for passionate designers who want to help us create next generation entertainment hardware for Microsoft.

Primary Responsibilities
This is a design position within the Xbox industrial design studio. You will be joining a team that drives vision and product development for Xbox hardware programs. The right candidate will be a “hands on” individual contributor that will bring thought leadership, inspirational creative output, and passion to the Xbox entertainment space. In essence, this position requires nothing less than a “super creator”.

As an industrial designer you will collaborate with design team and bring inventive ideas which will have large impact across the Xbox Entertainment Business.

We expect a spontaneous and innovative creative process that takes advantage of consumer insight harvesting, inspiration way-finding, 3d sketching, prototyping, thoughtful consideration
of business needs, and understanding of technical considerations. Above all the candidate should have a portfolio that demonstrates the ability to design soulful product experiences that delight consumers.

Senior Software Development Engineer

The Xbox Platform Developer Experience team is hiring! We own the core development tools for the Xbox console platform, and we serve as a driving advocate for the end-to-end developer customer experience across the program. We are looking for an exceptional SDE to help us take game development tools to the next level.

Game developers, from AAA studios to Indie shops, have unique and exacting needs. Just think about the factors involved: Game titles are only growing in cost and complexity with each new generation. These days the projects will involve scores of engineers and hundreds of artists. They have budgets and production values that rival Hollywood blockbusters. They have 10’s of gigabytes of content, code tuned to get the utmost from our platform, and holiday release dates that won’t move.

The Xbox ecosystem only thrives if these partners succeed. Our goal is to help them make better games, faster.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852430
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/38997...l-designer-for-a-new-next-gen-xbox/index.html
http://wccftech.com/microsoft-super-creator-next-xbox-console-aiming-boost-game-dev-tools/
http://vgleaks.com/microsoft-looking-for-a-super-designer-to-create-its-next-xbox-hardware/

FordGTGuy

Banned
Yes. From wikipedia:

"At the hot interface of a heat pipe a liquid in contact with a thermally conductive solid surface turns into a vapor by absorbing heat from that surface. The vapor then travels along the heat pipe to the cold interface and condenses back into a liquid – releasing the latent heat. The liquid then returns to the hot interface through either capillary action, centrifugal force, or gravity, and the cycle repeats."

At least it shows that the hardware team is interested in pushing the limits with form factors.

Surface Book shows this too with the detachable GPU/Keyboard.

EGM1966

This thread will be locked very soon, I fear...

So a fella on Twitter says Xbox slim is codenamed Edmonton, in case anyone cares...

At this point I assume everyone, including Mods, is just enjoying it too much by this point.

Plus this thread is serving as a single focal point for a lot of wild speculation that would no doubt be otherwise spilling over into multiple other threads if this one didn't exist. To be fair, a few mild meltdowns aside it's been fairly mild really and for sure some interesting optimism and pessimism has been displayed.

E3 threads are going to be crazy though!

MilkyJoe

At this point I assume everyone, including Mods, is just enjoying it too much by this point.

Plus this thread is serving as a single focal point for a lot of wild speculation that would no doubt be otherwise spilling over into multiple other threads if this one didn't exist. To be fair, a few mild meltdowns aside it's been fairly mild really and for sure some interesting optimism and pessimism has been displayed.

E3 threads are going to be crazy though!

It's going to be like Christmas this year, I feel

EvB

this threads gonna be hilarious after E3 when there is no Scorpio or Neo announcement

We know there isn't going to be a scorpio announcement, it was rumored to be announced in Spring!

People just keep posting in the wrong thread!

You forgot:

- concern trolling about Scorpio.

Only thing that I know of that would point towards water-cooling is that Lumia 950 XL which was water-cooled, that's about it. Yes, that's a water-cooled phone... could have been a proof of concept on a small APU for future water cooling applications on larger devices using APUs like consoles and Surfaces..

The new surface devices (SP4 and SPB) were also watercooled. Specially in the case of SP4 they managed to increase performance over the SP3 and eliminate throtling.

EvB

several folks in here are adamant about an E3 unveil and fall 2016 release

I think the best case scenario is that we will see the latest Xbox One, which will be improved in many ways from what we have now and they will say it's for sale next week.

Just as they did with the 360S

If it is anything more than that, then they have trolled everyone hard and it was a genius move for misdirection

Tntnico

It just doesn't make sense from a PR and marketing perspective to either talk about something that is 6, 12, 18 months away from release or that will detract column inches and mindshare away from the games they want to promote.

I understand your point, but we are in a very competitive industry. MS needs to say to the Xbox fanbase "hey don't look at Neo and PSVR this fall, you will have a better product on Xbox next year that will be able to enhance the incredible lineup with have this year !"

icespide

Banned
I think the best case scenario is that we will see the latest Xbox One, which will be improved in many ways from what we have now and they will say it's for sale next week.

Just as they did with the 360S

If it is anything more than that, then they have trolled everyone hard and it was a genius move for misdirection

yep, I think the xbox one slim will probably be a really nice piece of hardware, they will then talk up all of the UWP stuff which is what all the "creative chatter" is about

Linkified

Different leaks have said different things.

However the Star sign for Scorpio means you are born between October 23 and November 21st!

What does that have to do with the price of bread. That doesn't preclude an announcement of the device coming next year. Quite frankly if it gets to next E3 then they announce it - people will be MORE annoyed. Best announce all hardware and be there with a strategy to make it seem like a good idea for people to invest in Xbox One then prepare to upgrade to Xbox Two within the next 2 years.

EvB

I understand your point, but we are in a very competitive industry. MS needs to say to the Xbox fanbase "hey don't look at Neo and PSVR this fall, you will have a better product on Xbox next year that will be able to enhance the incredible lineup with have this year !"

I would guess that the people that MS are looking at are the people that have not bought any current gen consoles.
People rushing out to buy a PSVR and Neo are not these people.

With the announcement next week we will see something that narrows the gap between the current machines (although I don't expect that to be a big talking point, because it might be a moot point), something that is pitched as a gamer's machine. Something that matches the current price point and something that is futureproofed to some extent VS the old model PS4.

This Christmas' purchasers are not going to be deciding between Xbox One and Neo they will be deciding between a Xbox One NEW EDITION and PS4

EvB

What does that have to do with the price of bread. That doesn't preclude an announcement of the device coming next year. Quite frankly if it gets to next E3 then they announce it - people will be MORE annoyed. Best announce all hardware and be there with a strategy to make it seem like a good idea for people to invest in Xbox One then prepare to upgrade to Xbox Two within the next 2 years.

I suppose you are right, there might be 2 machines that look the same (that's what the FCC filings suggest)

Announce the Base unit which is a direct replacement for the Xbox One's price point (Current models are all being heavily discounted to move stock)

Announce that there will be a new Elite model later next year with even further improved hardware.

I would guess that the people that MS are looking at are the people that have not bought any current gen consoles.
People rushing out to buy a PSVR and Neo are not these people.

With the announcement next week we will see something that narrows the gap between the current machines (although I don't expect that to be a big talking point, because it might be a moot point), something that is pitched as a gamer's machine. Something that matches the current price point and something that is futureproofed to some extent VS the old model PS4.

This Christmas' purchasers are not going to be deciding between Xbox One and Neo they will be deciding between a Xbox One NEW EDITION and PS4

Why would they not consider the Neo?

Edit: I guess I understand your logic, but I disagree. Surely the upgraded console from Sony won't be simply called the PS4. They'd most likely be deciding between three consoles. The PS4, the vastly upgraded PS4, and the slightly upgraded XB1.

Tntnico

Why do you count the Neo off the table for Christmas ? Sure it will not be the same price, but people also look at that $400 box better suited for a long term investment.

creatchee

oUAl6eQ.jpg

Any sources?

If you're just here to tell us that you don't think it will be at E3... well you're kinda late to the party.

Now we're in "give me sources for things not being at E3" part of the thread... This thread!

By the way, I think it could be there, but only if it's coming out in 2016/early 2017. I don't see it there if it's late 2017 (although I definitely think there could be hints of something if that is their plan).

But then again, who the hell knows.

Shinobi did not confirm Scorpio at E3.

Yeah, not sure where people are getting that from as I've never seen a tweet or message here about it. He's also not much of an MS guy anyway. The MS stuff he does seem to get looks like it's from independent developers.

Now we're in "give me sources for things not being at E3" part of the thread... This thread!

By the way, I think it could be there, but only if it's coming out in 2016/early 2017. I don't see it there if it's late 2017 (although I definitely think there could be hints of something if that is their plan).

Well just because you're an insider doesn't mean you have details on everything. A lot of MS insider stuff here at GAF seems to be wrong anyway. Most recently that Dragon Punch guy got called out by Stinkles.

Any sources?

If you're just here to tell us that you don't think it will be at E3... well you're kinda late to the party.

Yeah not just assumption. I think people concluding it won't be there are stating the obvious but I'm hearing it actually won't be there.
Ive been wrong plenty of times though.

He's just asking if I was basing that post on my own thoughts or if I had heard something.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Now we're in the "sources" for things not being there. This thread!

By the way, I think it could be there, but only if it's coming out in 2016/early 2017. I don't see it there if it's late 2017. But then again, who the hell knows.

Uh what?

Someone makes a claim and I ask for a source and that is somehow a bad thing?

Yeah not just assumption.

Sorry man but I just don't believe your sources when it comes to Microsoft stuff, you kinda jumped in the low yield ESRAM and Xbox One downclocks too and that was completely false.

EvB

Why do you count the Neo off the table for Christmas ? Sure it will not be the same price, but people also look at that $400 box better suited for a long term investment.

Because the vast majority of Christmas consoles that are purchased are for children and we are now reaching the lower price points that will make that an even bigger pull for more and more buyers. Neo won't occupy that space, it will be an ethusiasts machine or machine for the hardcore.

Don't mistake what I am saying for any kind of suggestion that the Neo will fail or fail to seek an audience, however it will not outsell the normal PS4 anytime soon.

//DEVIL//

Any sources?

Well its kinda common sense really. You want to cut the xbox one sales from now till fall 2017 ? Why ?

Let the xbox slim shine

I also dont think sony will say anything about Neo unless its coming really really soon too.

Uh what?

Someone makes a claim and I ask for a source and that is somehow a bad thing?

Sorry man but I just don't believe your sources when it comes to Microsoft stuff, you kinda jumped in the low yield ESRAM and Xbox One downclocks too and that was completely false.

You mean the downclocks before MS ended up upclocking the system?

except for juicing up the hype and steel thunder from your competitor

That might sound great on a gaming forum but when you're trying to reveal a new product to the market you want to give it room to shine on its own and be the talking point of the day, fighting for mindshare is just an unnecessary distraction.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Well its kinda common sense really. You want to cut the xbox one sales from now till fall 2017 ? Why ?

Let the xbox slim shine

How do you know it's going to release in Holiday 2017? From all the rumors we've seen so far these guys clearly are guessing at that date.

Good chance we could see it release in Spring 2017 with the rumored hardware.

Top Bottom