• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

7) They plan to have DVRs for Antenna TV. Microsoft has already announced this and support for 1080P which is available from the EU as DVB T2 using Mpeg 4 and in the US only with ATSC 3 (Fact for Microsoft, speculation for Sony)
Microsoft isn't adding a TV DVR feature to the Xbox One anymore

After careful consideration, we've decided to put development of DVR for Over-the-Air TV on hold to focus our attention on launching new, higher fan-requested gaming experiences across Xbox One and Windows 10.

Thanks for posting that in response to my recap which had this:

17) Microsoft is rumored to announce Xbox dongles, Xbox STBs and a Xbox Slim this year and Scorpio late 2017. This is a complete spread of STBs to be supported by the XB1 as a Media and Game Hub. Always planned and now near enough to HEVC broadband and Antenna TV support for an announcement. This plus NEO is I think why Sony believes they will sell 20 million PS4 consoles from Christmas season 2016 to March 2017. UHD blu-ray with digital bridge and Vidipath along with it being a media hub and DVR for other platforms and a Next generation TV platform.
DVR in the XB1 is on hold,
UHD Firmware update on hold since Jan 2016 (XB1 and PS4),
Vidipath on hold since June 2015. (CE Industry)

FCC DSTAC downloadable security scheme will become a mandate in slightly more than a year.
Cable TV is moving to all IPTV delivery now with Cable TV provided apps. The FCC mandate will require Cable TV to allow manufacturers to provide the APP using the Downloadable Security scheme.

ATSC 1.0 & 3.0 Vidipath Tuners should be shipping in 2017 (LG has a prototype)
DVB T2 using HEVC will start in Germany 2017 (Very close cousin to ATSC 3.0)
ATSC 3.0 will be first in Korea late 2017 but planned Antenna TV Broadcast of the Olympics Feb 2018
The FCC has been petitioned to allow voluntary early deployment of ATSC 3.0

Do you remember the Sony Nasne? DLNA network tuner with DVR and Network storage but because of DRM issues was not sold in the US. Is a planned Vidipath tuner/DVR the reason for the hold/cancellation. Issues with the EU power board because the XB1 uses too much standby power? Issues with Game DVR when TV DVR running?

Thanks for posting that in response to my recap which had this:
Nothing in that second quote block is in the post you're referencing nor any other. Are you trying to make it look like you came to this conclusion weeks ago?

Is a planned Vidipath tuner/DVR the reason for the hold/cancellation.
The Microsoft spokeperson states the reason in that same sentence:
to focus our attention on launching new, higher fan-requested gaming experiences across Xbox One and Windows 10

Nothing in that second quote block is in the post you're referencing nor any other. Are you trying to make it look like you came to this conclusion weeks ago?

The Microsoft spokeperson states the reason in that same sentence:
The Microsoft reason is bull****. They have a DVR in final testing so how much more time/work to release it? E Guides and server are the only parts I can see that may not have been in place. That I think is another revenue stream feature that will be provided across the Windows 10 ecosystem so it makes no sense.

Paul Thurrott mentioned the DVR functionality months ago and also mentioned recently was the Dongle, STB and Xbox Slim. DVR functionality will probably not be released till Vidipath tuners and or those alternate viewing platforms are released. This on-hold announcement likely means no dongle and STB will be announced at E3.

17) Microsoft is rumored to announce Xbox dongles, Xbox STBs and a Xbox Slim this year and Scorpio late 2017. This is a complete spread of STBs to be supported by the XB1 as a Media and Game Hub. Always planned and now near enough to HEVC broadband and Antenna TV support for an announcement. This plus NEO is I think why Sony believes they will sell 20 million PS4 consoles from Christmas season 2016 to March 2017. UHD blu-ray with digital bridge and Vidipath along with it being a media hub and DVR for other platforms and a Next generation TV platform.
A USB tuner in 2012 would have had a significant life but mid 2016 and it will be trashed within 9 months at the latest when Vidipath ATSC 1.0 and 3.0 antenna TV tuners are released.

DVR in the XB1 is on hold,
UHD Firmware update on hold since Jan 2016 (XB1 and PS4),
Vidipath on hold since June 2015. (CE Industry)

FCC DSTAC downloadable security scheme will become a mandate in slightly more than a year.
Cable TV is moving to all IPTV delivery now with Cable TV provided apps. The FCC mandate will require Cable TV to allow manufacturers to provide the APP using the Downloadable Security scheme.

ATSC 1.0 & 3.0 Vidipath Tuners should be shipping in 2017 (LG has a prototype)
DVB T2 using HEVC will start in Germany 2017 (Very close cousin to ATSC 3.0)
ATSC 3.0 will be first in Korea late 2017 but planned Antenna TV Broadcast of the Olympics Feb 2018
The FCC has been petitioned to allow voluntary early deployment of ATSC 3.0
The Yukon (2010) leak had it supporting DVR, Microsoft Playready ND whitepapers have it supporting DVR (Client and server) and Thurrott stated it will support a DVR now on hold not canceled.

Yes this is speculation on my part based on what I have read and posted above. I also had two other possibles in my last post.

JaggedSac

People just need to look to Spring 2017 for the full reveal of "Scorpio". It's gonna show all of the hardware niceties that you guys are clamming for. I'm just repeating it because I don't want yall to get yalls hopes up. No one should suffer like that. Be excited for new hardware, yes, but have a realistic approach to it. MS is revealing all of their branded hardware at this event, full unveilings...don't you think it would make sense to do it for Xbox as well. It's all Windows 10 devices.

That thing was near 2 hours long last year. Plopping an Xbox reveal in that event would push it to 3 hours at least.

I'm lost who is this cream who is not sugared?

I'll define this. No console will be there

Tom from TheVerge.

Zedox

That thing was near 2 hours long last year. Plopping an Xbox reveal in that event would push it to 3 hours at least.

And Xbox was apart of that conference but they didn't have any hardware to reveal. They also showed HoloLens in which people already knew stuff. The event will probably be more focused than last years. No reason why Xbox Scorpio can't be apart of that reveal talk. You don't need an hour to reveal Xbox Scorpio...Surfacebook was only like 30 min max and even if it was longer, that's because they introduced the special "tablet mode". So a lot of that wasted time won't be there next time.

THE:MILKMAN

Hmm interesting. I wonder if he is alluding to either:

Games but no console reveal[ala PS4]
Or
Behind Closed Door Press Briefings

All I know is that days ago he was telling Arthur Gies on Twitter that Microsoft would be crazy to announce so early as it would tank Xbox One sales to name one reason like a lot here have also said.

Then yesterday he makes that post here. Something changed....

JaggedSac

And Xbox was apart of that conference but they didn't have any hardware to reveal. They also showed HoloLens in which people already knew stuff. The event will probably be more focused than last years. No reason why Xbox Scorpio can't be apart of that reveal talk. You don't need an hour to reveal Xbox Scorpio...Surfacebook was only like 30 min max.

Xbox was like 5 minutes of the beginning of that conference. People expect at least 4 or 5 game demos at a console reveal. I'm just not seeing it.

Edit: Just looked and the Bone reveal was 40 minutes. So they would be looking at a 2:30 - 3:00 event for an audience of mixed gadget journalists and games journalists.

Chris1

All I know is that days ago he was telling Arthur Gies on Twitter that Microsoft would be crazy to announce so early as it would tank Xbox One sales to name one reason like a lot here have also said.

Then yesterday he makes that post here. Something changed....
Yea he must have just found out something.

Either it's coming out this year or they briefly allude to it without actually announcing it (by explaining the future of xbox with the upgraded consoles etc). But I wouldn't consider that it being at E3.

I can't see them properly announcing something at E3 when it's not due out next year.

RoKKeR

Hmm interesting. I wonder if he is alluding to either:
Games but no console reveal[ala PS4]

I think it's obvious there won't be a full reveal, but I could see something like this + some vague talk about it happening. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a game or two (new stop-gap/launch title/not Halo 6-Halo game?) that was obviously running on extremely beefy hardware, something they could point to and say "that's the future of Xbox" or something like that.

Very interested to see how they will handle this all. It feels like they have to talk in at least some shape or form about it. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Cynn

Holy shit. Microsoft has started treatment for the "tvtvtv" disease that infected the Xbox One. About time!

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
And Xbox was apart of that conference but they didn't have any hardware to reveal. They also showed HoloLens in which people already knew stuff. The event will probably be more focused than last years. No reason why Xbox Scorpio can't be apart of that reveal talk. You don't need an hour to reveal Xbox Scorpio...Surfacebook was only like 30 min max.

I think the problem is both Surface and Xbox is targeted towards different audience. Well not only different audience but also different journalist. It just would be a mess if you ask me. So many devices at once, they are all big part of MS now, something will get overshadow.

Even just hardware company like Apple spans out their reveals for new devices.

creatchee

Holy shit. Microsoft has started treatment for the "tvtvtv" disease that infected the Xbox One. About time!

I love the TV aspects of my Bone though. The HDMI In works perfectly and OneGuide is great for finding what I want to watch. Obviously, I'm more into the gaming portion of the hardware, but the TV stuff is cool and I use it often.

MilkyJoe

I love the TV aspects of my Bone though. The HDMI In works perfectly and OneGuide is great for finding what I want to watch. Obviously, I'm more into the gaming portion of the hardware, but the TV stuff is cool and I use it often.

Do you people not have tv guides on your receiver boxes?

Also the fucking planet is dying so you can use your xbox to watch tv...

I have Sky UK and I don't use the TV Guide on either XB1 or Sky.

However, I love the HDMI pass through for convenience and damn the planet, make more wind/solar farms. I want the HDMI pass through to stay but need it to be upgraded to allow 4k.

spons

Gold Member
An idle telly box or game console uses about the same energy as a lit incandescent light bulb. Switch one off in your home and you're good.

Zeta Oni

don-cheadle-captain-planet-3.gif

NeoGAF survived the attack of the Trifecta last year, guess we'll be fine this year as well...

King Geoff says this will be the best E3 ever, and I'm sure Microsoft will claim the best lineup in history. Meanwhile Sony will show greatness awaiting and Nintendo will show what fun looks like.

On topic: while I dream of seeing new hardware I'm not counting on it. The best I'm hoping for is a mention of "the future of Xbox" vaguely teasing hardware. I'm very excited for the potential that PC/Xbox platform unification has and if they can find a way to stream games between Xbox's, PC's and new Xbox branded sticks it would be ever better. Bring the ecosystem together and make all Xbox's PC streaming devices, since kb&m support has been confirmed a few times by Spencer, while also releasing an Xbox stick that can spread your games to every TV in your house for cheap. I'd also like to be able to stream games from one Xbox to another in the same house; I know there is game sharing, but being able to stream games from Xbox to Xbox would save on hard drive space and allow game shared games to be used on more than just the other persons home Xbox ;)

ps3ud0

After seeing the Bosman vs Huber bets thread I decide to rewatch last years results show and they mentioned that Nintendo had a one liner about NX and that theyll be talking about it 2016, so its definitely not implausible that MS might drop a footnote mention to Scorpio...

ps3ud0 8)

FordGTGuy

Banned
People just need to look to Spring 2017 for the full reveal of "Scorpio". It's gonna show all of the hardware niceties that you guys are clamming for. I'm just repeating it because I don't want yall to get yalls hopes up. No one should suffer like that. Be excited for new hardware, yes, but have a realistic approach to it. MS is revealing all of their branded hardware at this event, full unveilings...don't you think it would make sense to do it for Xbox as well. It's all Windows 10 devices.

It's alright, I'm a grown adult and I'm capable of hoping for something and accepting when it doesn't happen without acting like a child.

Top Bottom