• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Prisoners' Director Denis Villeneuve to Helm 'Blade Runner' Sequel, Ford Returns

• Thread starter Deleted member 80556
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks Wario

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...el-harrison-ford-confirmed-to-return-20150226

LOS ANGELES, CA, FEBRUARY 26, 2015 -- Harrison Ford will reprise his celebrated role of Rick Deckard in the sequel to Alcon Entertainment’s BLADE RUNNER and Academy Award nominee Denis Villeneuve to (Prisoners, Incendies) is in negotiations to direct, it was announced by Alcon co-founders and co-CEO’s Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson.

Film is scheduled to start principle photography in summer of 2016. Hampton Fancher (co-writer of the original) and Michael Green have written the original screenplay based on an idea by Fancher and Ridely Scott.

The story takes place several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 original.

State Johnson and Kosove: “We are honored that Harrison is joining us on this journey with Denis Villeneuve, who is a singular talent, as we experienced personally on Prisoners. Hampton and Michael, with Ridley Scott, have crafted a uniquely potent and faithful sequel to one of the most universally celebrated films of all time, and we couldn’t be more thrilled with this amazing, creative team.”

Ford will next be seen in The Age of Adaline for Lionsgate and the highly anticipated upcoming Star Wars for Walt Disney Pictures. Recent releases include the Warner Bros./Legendary box office hit 42.

Villeneuve most recently directed the crime thriller Sicario, staring Emily Blunt, Josh Brolin, and Benecio Del Toro for Black Label Media and Lionsgate. He also directed Canada’s Oscar nominated French language film Incendies, and Alcon Entertainment’s critically acclaimed Prisoners, staring Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Alcon Entertainment acquired the film, television and ancillary franchise rights to BLADE RUNNER in 2011 from producer Bud Yorkin to produce prequels and sequels to the iconic science-fiction thriller. Yorkin will serve as a producer on the sequel along with Kosove and Johnson. Cynthia Sikes Yorkin will co-produce.

Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEO’s of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers.

Among its many distinctions, BLADE RUNNER has been singled out as one of the greatest movies of all time by innumerable polls and media outlets, and overwhelmingly as the greatest science-fiction film of all time by a majority of genre publications.

Released by Warner Bros., BLADE RUNNER was adapted by Hampton Fancher and David Peoples from Philip K. Dick's novel “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and was directed by Ridley Scott following his landmark Alien.” The film was nominated for two Academy Awards (Best Visual Effects, and Best Art Direction).

BLADE RUNNER was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry in 1993 and is frequently taught in university courses. In 2007, it was named the 2nd most visually influential film of all time by the Visual Effects Society.

EDIT: Forgot my opinion: Holy shit.

markot

Banned
Harrison Ford quit acting years ago. It's a shame he keeps appearing in movies.

The only role he would be suited to is a weekend at Bernie's remake.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I don't know how to process this right now. I haven't slept for 20+ hours and this just hit me with full-force. I guess I AM excited. Let me sleep on it.

xLI3Lx3.gif

shira

Harrison Ford quit acting years ago. It's a shame he keeps appearing in movies.

The only role he would be suited to is a weekend at Bernie's remake.

Yeah he basically shows up for the paycheque

"He belongs in a museum"

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Prisoners was a fucking fantastic film. I really don't care to see old man Harrison do a Bladerunner sequel, though.

Aside from the fact I don't trust Fancher & Michael Green to have written a good story, really (especially with Ridley's input), I don't like that this is going to proceed from the idea that Deckard is definitely a replicant.

But then again, I've never liked that Ridley seemed to have completely misunderstood his own movie so thoroughly that he thought he needed to definitively answer that question in the first place.

I dunno, maybe they can shove that genie back in the bottle, who knows.

(best cut of Blade Runner is the workprint)

Mixed emotions.
That guy is a good director but Prisoners is a really bad movie.
Deckard returns but Ford doesnt seem to give a shit anymore.
Fancher writing means nothing...the Blade runner script wasnt what made it so great

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Aside from the fact I don't trust Fancher & Michael Green to have written a good story, really (especially with Ridley's input), I don't like that this is going to proceed from the idea that Deckard is definitely a replicant.

But then again, I've never liked that Ridley seemed to have completely misunderstood his own movie so thoroughly that he thought he needed to definitively answer that question in the first place.

I dunno, maybe they can shove that genie back in the bottle, who knows.

(best cut of Blade Runner is the workprint)

I'm just glad that Ridley isn't directing this one. This gives me a bit more hope. Villeneuve would at least like the script, right? Unless he's one of those pro replicant Deckard people.

Kifimbo

Posted this in the wrong thread, so I'll repeat.

Denis Villeneuve is really talented. But I wonder if he has what it takes for a blockbuster, especially a sequel for a cult classic with a huge following.

Fancher writing means nothing...the Blade runner script wasnt what made it so great

Not only that but Fancher openly admits his ideas as to what Blade Runner should be were the wrong way to go. David Webb Peoples basically fixed his story.

Hopefully Michael Green is as good as David Webb Peoples, I guess.

I'm just glad that Ridley isn't directing this one. This gives me a bit more hope. Villeneuve would at least like the script, right? Unless he's one of those pro replicant Deckard people.

You're right. God, it's weird to say, but I am a little bit more hopeful now that I know Ridley Scott isn't directing the sequel to Blade Runner.

Hell, I was certain this (AND Prometheus 2) were just gonna disappear like a fart in the wind. Now it looks like they're both going forward. Crazy. Ridley Scott is fucking teflon as hell.

jtb

Banned
hmmm

on one hand, I'm not really enamored with Blade Runner and this seems like the very definition of a sequel that should not exist

on the other hand, I fucking love Villenueve. one of the best, most interesting directors to establish themselves in the past few years.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Fuck Gyllenhaal would be pretty fucking boss in this. His last three films I've seen him in, Prisoners, Enemy and Nightcrawler have all been amazing due in no small part to his acting. I would totally be happy if he was a lead in this. He and Villeneuve are a proven combo in my book.

Ridley327

I really, really hope Villeneuve gets the job. I think his sensibilities would fit the Blade Runner concept really well.

Deadbeat

Banned
That plus Harrison 'Angry White Man' Ford equals disaster. The dude doesnt act anymore. He doesnt care.

razznjazz

Neo Member
Not only that but Fancher openly admits his ideas as to what Blade Runner should be were the wrong way to go. David Webb Peoples basically fixed his story.

Hopefully Michael Green is as good as David Webb Peoples, I guess.

You're right. God, it's weird to say, but I am a little bit more hopeful now that I know Ridley Scott isn't directing the sequel to Blade Runner.

Hell, I was certain this (AND Prometheus 2) were just gonna disappear like a fart in the wind. Now it looks like they're both going forward. Crazy. Ridley Scott is fucking teflon as hell.

It is weird to say, but he's definitely lost it as of late.

I think of all the possible sci-fi/action directors they could have gone with, this seems promising.

Maybe Villeneuve will get Roger Deakins to do cinematography! Then I would be drooling.

Enk

makes good threads.
Star Wars
Blade Runner
Aliens
Mad Max
Evil Dead
Phantasm
Twin Peaks
Pee Wee's Big Something Something

Let me just add a few more to this list (and I'm sure there are plenty more 70s/80s franchises that are finally getting new entries in the next year that I can't think off the top of my head)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom