• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Prisoners' Director Denis Villeneuve to Helm 'Blade Runner' Sequel, Ford Returns

• Thread starter Deleted member 80556
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, some type of confirmation. I feel like Ridley Scott has been talking about this for a few years now.

Now get this guy to do the soundtrack:

9b12aaba.jpg

Hope Ford has some life pumped into him for this one, please don't be shit. Just recreate the same damn color palette and atmosphere of the original with minimalist dialogue please. Probably not gonna happen but I can dream dammit!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The script is definitely a concern, Deckard being a replicant makes sense if so many years hadn't passed since the first film. Should be interesting nonetheless.

inm8num2

How the hell is Ford going to play Decker when he's a fucking droid.

If 20 years have passed dude is long dead.

The script is definitely a concern, Deckard being a replicant makes sense if so many years hadn't passed since the first film. Should be interesting nonetheless.

Let's hope Hampton Fancher consulted with the writers of Terminator: Genisys on how to tackle the aging robot conundrum.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Finally, some type of confirmation. I feel like Ridley Scott has been talking about this for a few years now.

Now get this guy to do the soundtrack:

9b12aaba.jpg
I don't know who that is, but that's not Vangelis.

I love Run the Jewels like crazy, probably my favorite album of 2014. But there is nothing in his discography that even remotely seems like it could fit with Blade Runner.

Villeneuve is definitely a great director - I really enjoyed Prisoners ( which was one of my favorite films of 2013 ), and Enemy wasn't bad either.

But I am having troubles with the concept. Blade Runner isn't a movie that should ever get a sequel. It just shouldn't. And it definitely shouldn't be a continuation of Deckard's story - it is perfect as it is, with an ambiguous ending and an air of mystery. Another story within the universe of Blade Runner? Sure, why not. But I am not excited to see the retirement-days of Deckard.

I might be a bit biased, so take this as you see fit ( see my username and avatar ;o ). I am very, very skeptical about the relevance of this sequel. We'll see how it turns out.

Nodnol

I guess I should watch the first film really?

I'm not entirely sure I've gone nearly 27 years without watching it.

thenexus6

Prisoners was one of my favourite film of that year. Blade Runner is my favourite of all time. Very interested seeing how this shapes up.

Harrison as Deckard
Vangelis scoring
Deakins cinematography
Lawrence Paull production design

I would die.

jonnyp

Harrison Ford quit acting years ago. It's a shame he keeps appearing in movies.

The only role he would be suited to is a weekend at Bernie's remake.

Yeah, I just don't understand why they want Ford to return. He's turned into a grumpy old man, lost all his charisma and screen presence.

But I did love Prisoners so I do have some hope for it

Zeliard

Harrison Ford quit acting years ago. It's a shame he keeps appearing in movies.

The only role he would be suited to is a weekend at Bernie's remake.

Yeah he basically shows up for the paycheque

"He belongs in a museum"

That plus Harrison 'Angry White Man' Ford equals disaster. The dude doesnt act anymore. He doesnt care.

I don't know if you guys have actually seen Blade Runner, but it isn't exactly renown due to Harrison Ford's electrifying performance. He was quite staid in the role even by his low-key standards, and there's no reason at all he shouldn't be able to easily reprise it.

An Aliens sequel and a Blade Runner sequel being attached with great filmmakers in the same week ? Feels strange. Strangely arousing.

Also i imagine Sicario is going to be very good.

Dennis

Banned
I don't know if you guys have actually seen Blade Runner, but it isn't exactly renown due to Harrison Ford's electrifying performance. He was quite staid in the role even by his low-key standards, and there's no reason at all he shouldn't be able to easily reprise it.

Agreed. The draw of Blade Runner is not Harrison Ford's acting.

Hell, Rutger Hauer did a better impression of a human being than Ford.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kinda weird reading how "universally admired" Blade Runner is if you were around at the time of its original release. Critics were not kind back then, it got slammed for everything but its visual design.

Mind you, the funniest part is how many critics complained about it being confusing in the original cut, and yet by the time the DC appeared (sans expository Ford VO) they suddenly seemed to "get it".

charsace

I would love to see a song(s) from Daft Punk, Lazerhawk, and Perturbator in this movie.

Bladrunner is one of my favorite movies, but I don't see how Ford can play the lead role.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The most surprising thing of all is that Sculli hasn't mentioned anything heh.

Come to think of it, Noir Deco should score the sequel.

That's damn good. Doubt that WB will let a small artist near the movie though.

JGLS

This is an inspired choice for directing. Now we only need Roger Deakins and Vangelis. And hopefully, minimal Scott involvement.

nictron

Aside from the fact I don't trust Fancher & Michael Green to have written a good story, really (especially with Ridley's input), I don't like that this is going to proceed from the idea that Deckard is definitely a replicant.

But then again, I've never liked that Ridley seemed to have completely misunderstood his own movie so thoroughly that he thought he needed to definitively answer that question in the first place.

I dunno, maybe they can shove that genie back in the bottle, who knows.

(best cut of Blade Runner is the workprint)

Wasn't the ambiguity of Deckard's replicant status a large part of the reason why BR had such staying power? The debates were so much fun. I always thought I wanted an answer, but I really didn't. I wish this was a separate story away from Deckard.

"Too bad she won't live."

I wish this was a separate story away from Deckard.

I'm absolutely with you. It's sorta the same thing with that Alien sequel Blomkamp's making. I'd be more than fine with it - if it weren't about Ellen Ripley again. I don't need Deckard for a new Blade Runner story, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom