• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kard8p3

https://twitter.com/#!/NintendoAmerica/status/77805506709819392

Miyamoto changing his script. Surely he's been reading GAF so he decided to throw in a reference to the E3 bear.

ReyVGM

The name probably won't be that bad if they haven't announced it yet. Or maybe it has been Stream all along, which all of us are used to by now, thus there will be no name meltdowns tomorrow.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Kard8p3 said:
https://twitter.com/#!/NintendoAmerica/status/77805506709819392

Miyamoto changing his script. Surely he's been reading GAF so he decided to throw in a reference to the E3 bear.

"Note to self: Get rid of the child actors after that Microsoft conference."

.la1n

Nintendo has set us up the bomb, now we wait. After the Kinect disaster I'm pretty sure anything they show will be great.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
dwu8991 said:
Gears looks HOT HOT HOT, looks better than PS3 game save for Uncharted and maybe God of War. Unless Nintendo has something as hardcore as Gears, Nintendo may not win E3 after all!
0.5/10 for effort. At least there weren't any spelling or capitalization errors.

MfDiU.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
After the Microsoft conference, Nintendo is secretly laughing in a corner, evil laugh on top of that.

Trurl

Banned
They're probably cancelling the megatons due to them being unnecessary.

(seriously, though, 3DS needs some megatons. I'm going to predict a price drop.)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
My gut feeling now is we will see a rebranding again of Nintendo tomorrow. A move away from motion controls, but not sure how far back to conventional gaming it will go. I think more of a half and half mix, but there will be a new interface effectively to replace the accessibility of motion controls. Built from touch most likely from the rumours.

Wii will stay branded as the motion control platform. You will have backwards compatibility with it, and some Cafe games may support the wiimote as an option. But the focus will be something new.

The over-riding message that came out of Microsoft's conference is that motion controls are already played-out, that nearly everything that can be done has been done, and Nintendo are probably more aware of that than anyone.

Maxrunner

dwu8991 said:
Gears looks HOT HOT HOT, looks better than PS3 game save for Uncharted and maybe God of War. Unless Nintendo has something as hardcore as Gears, Nintendo may not win E3 after all!

of all games you could choose, you choose the worst possible example....

Trurl

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
The over-riding message that came out of Microsoft's conference is that motion controls are already played-out, that nearly everything that can be done has been done, and Nintendo are probably more aware of that than anyone.
I haven't played the with Sony's Move, but I think that something like the Wiimote with substantially better tech (both on the side of the console and controller) could have tons of untapped potential.

Kinect as the way it's being used looks like a dead end street, though.

I would like to see if augmented reality could revolutionize games like D&D, but that would require a setup unlike anything going on with Kinect.

DECK'ARD said:
My gut feeling now is we will see a rebranding again of Nintendo tomorrow. A move away from motion controls, but not sure how far back to conventional gaming it will go. I think more of a half and half mix, but there will be a new interface effectively to replace the accessibility of motion controls. Built from touch most likely from the rumours.

Wii will stay branded as the motion control platform. You will have backwards compatibility with it, and some Cafe games may support the wiimote as an option. But the focus will be something new.

That sounds perfect. The best thing for me would basically be a Gamecube 2. I'm a single console gamer, and I would love graphics comparable to the other systems and enough third party mutliplatform games to not feel shafted.

J-Rock

Banned
DECK'ARD said:

Makes sense. Red Ocean too.

Trurl

Banned
canadian crowe said:
That sounds perfect. The best thing for me would basically be a Gamecube 2. I'm a single console gamer, and I would love graphics comparable to the other systems and enough third party mutliplatform games to not feel shafted.
The problem is that traditional consoles have seen diminishing success for Nintendo with every iteration. As successful as the Wii has been, the market that would want a Gamecube 2 is probably smaller than ever.

Trurl said:
The problem is that traditional consoles have seen diminishing success for Nintendo with every iteration. As successful as the Wii has been, the market that would want a Gamecube 2 is probably smaller than ever.

True. I think that they build up their brand again with the Wii, and they could have a successful traditional console this time around.

The tech is really holding them back though. It was a great idea to make the Wii standard def, but it was short sighted.

There is no reason why they can't market to the hardcore and casual crowds. Nintendo has brand recognition that both casuals and hardcore gamers like.

Microsoft's conference was so damn boring. It's like all they know how to create are shooting games. I'm just ready for Nintendo's conference.

birdchili

DECK'ARD said:
Try and keep the console cycle going by redefining the core experience every 5 or 6 years...

Very curious to see this thing and hear what they have to say about it. I'll miss the pointer something fierce if it's gone, but a touch-pad will work pretty-well as a supplementary controller for a console.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Trurl said:

That's why I think the touchscreen element is going to end up being a lot more key to things than say talk of streaming and whatnot. I think the interface the Cafe is going to have is going to be the bit that replaces motion controls. The bit that makes it accessible and fresh.

With Nintendo it's hard to predict, because the way they apply technology is always the key bit. Like with StreetPass and PlayCoins etc. But I think we're going to see something a bit more unique than emulating the DS.

Off top of my head, things like flinging something from controller to television with a swipe, or even from one controller to another if you chose players according to how you were sitting. Passing something to the player's controller next to you, who then did something with it. That would be quite a nice social aspect, and playing on board game mentality etc.

Sianos

StickSoldier said:
Microsoft's conference was so damn boring. It's like all they know how to create are shooting games. I'm just ready for Nintendo's conference.

Yeah, one Nintnedo's advantages is that they have a variety of first party games of various genres.

Even though Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, and Paper Mario all star Mario, they are different games from different genres. I'd prefer a variety of games starring the same character than a single type of game starring a variety of characters.

Trurl said:
That was all due to management, however. N64 was cartridge based, Gamecube came a year late letting PS2 get a head start (and btw, I don't consider 2 systems in a row a trend).

DECK'ARD said:

Kinect isn't exactly the best option for motion control in games. There's a reason Nintendo didn't go in that direction.

J-Rock said:
Makes sense. Red Ocean too.

The problem I see is that if you take the Blue Ocean and mix it with the Red Ocean, don't you end up with a Brown Ocean?

Is that why Nintendo will deliver us the Weinerpoop?

Sianos

BlackNMild2k1 said:
The problem I see is that if you take the Blue Ocean and mix it with the Red Ocean, don't you end up with a Brown Ocean?

You get purple.

Is this why there was no purple in the Halo 4 trailer?

Trurl said:
They're probably cancelling the megatons due to them being unnecessary.

(seriously, though, 3DS needs some megatons. I'm going to predict a price drop.)
I doubt they'll do a price drop before finding out what Zelda and the e-Store do for sales.

dwu8991

Banned
BlackNMild2k1 said:

Nintendo will build a new controller and divide the ocean into two.

J-Rock

Banned
BlackNMild2k1 said:

Brown Bears.

Meohsix

I think the most important question that hasn't been asked yet...

What color cases will cafe/wii2 games come in?

Me? im hoping for a short transparent black blu ray case

dwu8991 said:

Based on the beta, I'll be playing nothing else every night when I'm not working with my buddies, for months. Since we still play Gears 1 a few times a week...

One shiny sequel doesn't matter that much, though. Get real.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
CoffeeJanitor said:
Kinect isn't exactly the best option for motion control in games. There's a reason Nintendo didn't go in that direction.

Well yeah, Kinect was fatally flawed from conception just like EyeToy because of the control options you are losing in the process. But it's not just Kinect that's already played-out, it's the whole sight of people flailing around which has been what has defined this generation for the last 5 years. Everyone's too over-familiar with it now, and what to expect from the experience. It's questionable how much mileage is left in it, even in more fully featured implementations like WM+ and Move.

If you are trying to keep a console fresh, at a time when they are under increasing pressure from portable entertainment, I think Nintendo are going to try and put a new spin on what console gaming is again.

And the Wii which is synonymous with motion gaming will still be around, and backwards compatibility will keep that aspect as well as any Cafe games which want to support it.

Cafe will still leverage the social aspect, which is what defines Nintendo's consoles, but do so in a new way and have a new interface to appeal to people all over again. That would be my betting now anyway.

DECK'ARD said:
Well yeah, Kinect was fatally flawed from conception just like EyeToy because of the control options you are losing in the process. But it's not just Kinect that's already played-out, it's the whole sight of people flailing around which has been what has defined this generation for the last 5 years. Everyone's too over-familiar with it now, and what to expect from the experience. It's questionable how much mileage is left in it, even in more fully featured implementations like WM+ and Move.

Kinect's current sales do little to support the notion that motion control is a fad that's run its course.

DECK'ARD said:

If you are trying to keep a console fresh, at a time when they are under increasing pressure from portable entertainment, I think Nintendo are going to try and put a new spin on what console gaming is again.

And the Wii which is synonymous with motion gaming will still be around, and backwards compatibility will keep that aspect as well as any Cafe games which want to support it.

Cafe will still leverage the social aspect, which is what defines Nintendo's consoles, but do so in a new way and have a new interface to appeal to people all over again. That would be my betting now anyway.
I agree they'll take a different direction because of MS/Sony's new focus on motion, although I don't see Nintendo abandoning them. The Wii caused a paradigm shift in the market, specifically because of it's controls.

Because of this, I can't see any reason why Motion Controls wouldn't become a standard with all forthcoming controllers. In the same way that the dpad, shoulder buttons, analog, rumble etc. have been implemented in all of Nintendo's latest controllers, i think motion controls will be included with the Cafe controller. I'm not sure how, but they will certainly be included.

Not to mention the inclusion of motion controls on i-devices. They are simply to be expected now, just as those other controller conventions are.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
CoffeeJanitor said:
I agree they'll take a different direction because of MS/Sony's new focus on motion, although I don't see Nintendo abandoning them. The Wii caused a paradigm shift in the market, specifically because of it's controls.

Because of this, I can't see any reason why Motion Controls wouldn't become a standard with all forthcoming controllers. In the same way that the dpad, shoulder buttons, analog, rumble etc. have been implemented in all of Nintendo's latest controllers, i think motion controls will be included with the Cafe controller. I'm not sure how, but they will certainly be included.

Not to mention the inclusion of motion controls on i-devices. They are simply to be expected now, just as those other controller conventions are.

Gyros and stuff will be bolted in, but I think full-on motion controls will be left to backwards compatibility with the wiimote.

If this controller is going to be what it's rumoured to be, it will be because it supplies a new interface/way of playing and it's that which will define the system. They could bundle in a wiimote as well, but I don't see them splitting the angle of the system like that.

I think it's how they will use touch that is going to be interesting, and maybe how the controllers are used in relation to each other will be as important as how they are used in relation to the system.

How Nintendo apply technology is always the most interesting aspect, rather than the technology itself. Certainly going to be the most interesting console unveiling in a long, long time anyway.

Sianos

Cow Mengde said:
Actually, how about Pikimin 3 coming to BOTH Cafe and Wii? Nothing wrong with sharing a little Pikimin love across Nintendo's own consoles.

You know, I could see that.

All I know is that Pikmin 3 is going to somehow be there. They've been teasing it for two years, not showing even a teaser trailer. It seems likely that it'll be one of Nintnedo's playable games, and definitely a trailer.

I'm far too hyped. In my head I've already bought the console, and am playing a new Metroid Prime. I've also thrown all my old consoles and my 360 in the garbage, because I won't need anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom