• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project GAF Inn - $5,000 for a mark in Obsidian's Project Eternity [FUNDED!]

TheCrow

Great to see that we managed to pull this off. I was getting worried when I had to make my second donation to try and give this some momentum.

PaulLFC

I wonder what GAF in-jokes we can incorporate into it? With the setting and time period, some of them would be difficult without looking out of place, like this one:

airplane-sunset.jpg

I'm sure there's quite a few that would work though. The "tipping" suggestion is great
3AQmK.gif

Clydefrog

I wonder what GAF in-jokes we can incorporate into it? With the setting and time period, some of them would be difficult without looking out of place, like this one:

airplane-sunset.jpg

I'm sure there's quite a few that would work though. The "tipping" suggestion is great
3AQmK.gif

There's a drunkard in the corner yelling random things like "Behuhuhu the rub hive," "i should ly dow...," and "where'd my pet possum go?"

that's more off-topic gaf than gaming though

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

airplane-sunset.jpg

3AQmK.gif

Picture over the fireplace of a horse and wagon going over a hill at sunset.

Inn worker: "You should try the pizza"

F!ReW!Re

Someone earlier was musing about great game taverns?

- The Friendly Arm Inn (Baldur's Gate) - For nailing that sense of shelter and escape, whilst also providing your first real link to the world outside of Candlekeep. It feels like a real place.

- The Smouldering Corpse (Planescape: Torment) - For the clientele and conversation. Simply one of the most interesting spaces in any game, past or present.

- The Hairy Bear Inn (The Witcher) - For its bar brawls, dice poker, a distrusting barkeep and really well integrated in with the gaming world's day/night cycle and quests. It's a hole, but it's a hole you can crawl back to at the end of a hard day's Witching to get drunk with a buddy.

- Termina Tavern (Majora's Mask) - For the sense of community. The growing tensions building up to that final night of people coming together for the end of the world. Really nicely done.

Yeah it was me musing on it:

What inn's in other games are your favorite and which one would you like to be a big inspiration for the GAF inn (I know we're not copying anything out of other games, just making conversation here ;-)

I still think after all those years that the Copper Coronet (BGII, slum district) is my favorite. I mean whats not to like:

- Drunken dwarf harrassing you to go treasure hunting in a crypt
- Desperate maiden who wants you to protect her land and castle
- Idiot brawlers who want their face smashed in in the fighting pit
- A whole back area serving as both a brothel and a betting area for arena fights
- A dragon in disguise who's looking for his next meal
- Entrance to a monster filled sewer area...

And that music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrXZv01c_GM

Mindlog

Not everything has to be Inn jokes...
If anything the community would be looked on more favorably with some nice original ideas.

Definitely need Dating Age prostitutes though.

wrowa

There's a drunkard in the corner yelling random things like "Behuhuhu the rub hive," "i should ly dow...," and "where'd my pet possum go?"

that's more off-topic gaf than gaming though

Lol, it'd be funny if the Inn had a cellar with a bunch of possums in it, wondering why so many humans are in their fucking house.

opossumgaf.gif

But, yeah, it needs to stay somewhat classy. There should be some kind of GAF flavour to the inn, but it shouldn't be too over the top or obscure.

Zeliard

GAF references should be subtle and non-jarring in the context of the game, and amusing enough that they don't just look dumb like 10 years from now :p

Leonsito

Lol, it'd be funny if the Inn had a cellar with a bunch of possums in it, wondering why so many humans are in their fucking house.

opossumgaf.gif

But, yeah, it needs to stay somewhat classy. There should be some kind of GAF flavour to the inn, but it shouldn't be too over the top or obscure.

I remember that thread, one of the best things on the internet ever.

Corto

How many GAF-Inn backers are designers?
How awesome can I expect this inn to be? *___*

There's always Obsidian people themselves that will keep the final word on the whole thing of course. After all, it's their game and they will not agree with something completely foreign to the rest of the game.

Clydefrog

opossumgaf.gif

that's not bad. a lot of RPGs have that quest "please get this shit out of my basement"

the possums could be like "but this is OUR land"

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I could get behind a possum infested basement with the ability to speak to them about their plight i.e. the inn they own has been overrun by humans and other assorted beings. It'd certainly be a break from rats or roaches and having to kill them.

dionysus

Yaldog
My personal opinion is that it would be better if we just designed an awesome inn that everyone will enjoy, and at most have some very subtle GAF jokes.

Keasar

I agree on that the GAF jokes should most likely be subtle, but the opportunity of having a inn that reflects NeoGAF in a way is something that shouldnt be passed up on.

How many GAF-Inn backers are designers?
How awesome can I expect this inn to be? *___*

I am a designer, though leveldesigner so it kinda doesnt count I guess. :p
And hopefully too awesome.

I think it's okay to try to implement some of the more common "events" or "memes", but it probably is a good idea to stay away from those that revolve around particular gaffers (that "go ly down"-dude, Amir0x - whatever he did, Timedog, blamespace, etc) as these gaffers are probably going to be permabanned in a couple of years time and forgotten by everyone but the smallest little cliche of gaffers as Evilore pointed out before.

The same would kinda go for the relatively recent memes as well (Plane+sunset). Anything based on Evilore or on the NeoGAF name/slogan would be okay - as these are unlikely to have changed even 5 years from now.

Prax

Even though Oblivion obviously have their own design team, having professional gaffer designers would help us streamline or give us a better isea of the possibilities/limits, I think?

I wonder how open Oblivion will be to having indiviual kickstarters be funded for extra things, like a dungeon in the GAF inn. That would be really cool too, but I guess that would likely skew/bias world design if they don't put limits haha. It is strange enough that a whole gaming forum collectively pledged to make their own inn, NPC, and epic item.

RJT

The most important aspect that the GAF Inn should replicate is the lurker/member/banning cycle. You should be banned constantly for improper behaviour (sometines you won't even know why), and you should only be allowed to speak a while after you first visit the Inn.

The most important aspect that the GAF Inn should replicate is the lurker/member/banning cycle. You should be banned constantly for improper behaviour (sometines you won't even know why), and you should only be allowed to speak a while after you first visit the Inn.

I love the idea of a waiting time for the player before he can become a full-fledged member of the tavern/inn, that is determined a little bit randomly (unless you bribe the owner of the inn, Tyler von Lore ;).)

Hammer24

Banned
Feelgood story of the GAF year!
The donation was worth it for Shaggs excitement alone.

Now for the Inn: maybe we could have some wall textures in the Inn that make it look, as if all the contributors carved their names in the wood?

Prax

Well, we had 145 backers (possibly more?).

Maybe 145 should be a holy number, the number of people who built the tavern together, or the number of logs used, or the number of bricks on the fireplace mantel?
Each person can secretly claim their brick in their hearts and be warmed. xD

nickcv

Feelgood story of the GAF year!
The donation was worth it for Shaggs excitement alone.

Now for the Inn: maybe we could have some wall textures in the Inn that make it look, as if all the contributors carved their names in the wood?

i already proposed that, but we cannot have names out of lore

Lancehead

From the latest update:

Troll Portraits by Chris Avellone

Chris Avellone has graciously volunteered to draw a custom troll portrait for you to help raise additional funding towards our last stretch goal target of $3.5m for Big City #2. Chris will number and sign the portrait, write a humorous message to you, and a print will be physically and digitally sent to you. This is a limited run of 30 at a $750 tier (includes all the goods in the $500 tier), so get in quickly.

637d99d3f9a5210af70c1290ac3e1a0b_large.jpg

If you are above the $750 tier and would like a custom troll by Chris Avellone please contact Obsidian and we will work with you.

This means we can get a GAF custom troll, right?

From the latest update:

This means we can get a GAF custom troll, right?

It would seem so!

Edit: 'Please contact Obsidian' is pretty damn vague though... been looking for a way to contact them but the only e-mail address I can find is for the jobs listings. Though Shagg has Fergus' e-mail address, iirc.

Edit 2: Sent a PM to Chris Avellone on the Obsidian forums; figured we might as well get our foot in the door if these are limited numbers. Got to get our (piles of) money's worth, right? :D

What's custom troll? Is it going to be added in game or is it just a portrait? I'm so lost lol.

You have fallen victim to the not reading your own thread thing. Look a few posts up.

Just a hand drawn sketch of a custom troll.

As your punishment:

Guys, I think it is really great that you got all the money together, but lulz the inn has been sold out for weeks. So what now?

Top Bottom