• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project GAF Inn - $5,000 for a mark in Obsidian's Project Eternity [FUNDED!]

ultron87

Okay, I boosted it by 25 more dollars. How long until I should expect the email?

You'll get it at sometime after the Kickstarter ends. Most Kickstarters doing add ons in addition to reward tiers send out a "backer survey" once it is all over that will have you enter stuff like your shipping address and pick which add ons you want.

DieH@rd

Banned
We did it? We did it!

B8mDT.gif

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome news! Been following this since the start but I blew all my available money on my personal pledge. Nice work Shagg!

Wow. Paypal's exchange rate is so off. It's been $1USD = $0.95CAD since forever when the actual rate is close to $0.98. That's a massive difference lol.

EDIT: Bam! Money transfer has begun. So exciting!

Rapstah

Wow. Paypal's exchange rate is so off. It's been $1USD = $0.95CAD since forever when the actual rate is close to $0.98. That's a massive difference lol.

EDIT: Bam! Money transfer has begun. So exciting!

You're not going to be screwed out of the amount due to transfer fees, right?

Congrats.Now, the Innkeeper must resemble Evilore.

EviLore has already pledge for a custom portrait. Maybe a way to communicate with that, perhaps?

You're not going to be screwed out of the amount due to transfer fees, right?

Maximum $100, but it should be covered up! :D

With that said, I am removing the link to Paypal from here as donation from here is closed.

Thank you, everyone!! Let make this the best inn ever!

*explodes*

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Ah I just woke up and now it's funded. Was going to throw in some money but i'm clearly to slow.

Nice work everyone who donated

One last post before I go:

You all donated graciously. With that, you all own this equally. You are equal stakeholders of this project and everyone's opinion here will be voiced. My job will be to provide your ideas and designs to Obsidian, and their remarks to you. I will do my best to ensure that both the community and developers are happy. I am not very creative or an artistic genius to come up with fantastic artwork as reference for Obsidian, so it's all up to you guys. I am also not that creative with words and expressions on how the Inn/Tavern, Weapon and NPC should look like (Dibs* on making the shield called "Trollbashers" painted in emblem similar to NeoGAF logo lol) so it's your job to explain in great detail to the devs what will be included (Hell, English is not even my first language!). If the stakes get higher, I will include you all in the discussion regularly (if the developer discussion ends up being a regular thing).

This is your Inn. Build it from scratch. No one will interfere with it's creation. Mods are very supportive, and so is the community. I thank everyone for being so open to volturnus and Vulcano's assistant's original vision, and I thank you for trusting in me for handling the transaction side of the business well. I also thank the mods for being very honest and open about it, and having little to no interference in this, and also for being equal stakeholders.

We fucking did it. Now we have to construct it! Forge it from the minds of hundreds of us that believed in this idea and thousands of others who watched over this and provided feedback. I don't know where this will go, but all I can say is that my interference will be zero. Your idea is as fantastic as the next person, and the community in collective will decide. There will be no hatred over an idea not being picked and no favoritism to avoid a great design over a lesser design because of the member's great presence in the forum.

I love you all equally and you've made my day like no one else can.

Thank you, and have a fantastic weekend!

kidding on dibs :p

PaulLFC

I've just pledged to the game now too, can't wait to see this progress!

You all donated graciously. With that, you all own this equally. You are equal stakeholders of this project and everyone's opinion here will be voiced. My job will be to provide your ideas and designs to Obsidian, and their remarks to you. I will do my best to ensure that both the community and developers are happy. I am not very creative or an artistic genius to come up with fantastic artwork as reference for Obsidian, so it's all up to you guys. I am also not that creative with words and expressions on how the Inn/Tavern, Weapon and NPC should look like (Dibs* on making the shield called "Trollbashers" painted in emblem similar to NeoGAF logo lol) so it's your job to explain in great detail to the devs what will be included (Hell, English is not even my first language!). If the stakes get higher, I will include you all in the discussion regularly (if the developer discussion ends up being a regular thing).

This is your Inn. Build it from scratch. No one will interfere with it's creation. Mods are very supportive, and so is the community. I thank everyone for being so open to volturnus and Vulcano's assistant's original vision, and I thank you for trusting in me for handling the transaction side of the business well. I also thank the mods for being very honest and open about it, and having little to no interference in this, and also for being equal stakeholders.

We fucking did it. Now we have to construct it! Forge it from the minds of hundreds of us that believed in this idea and thousands of others who watched over this and provided feedback. I don't know where this will go, but all I can say is that my interference will be zero. Your idea is as fantastic as the next person, and the community in collective will decide. There will be no hatred over an idea not being picked and no favoritism to avoid a great design over a lesser design because of the member's great presence in the forum.

Nice work mate, thanks for organising this!

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I was going to add another $20 when I got home, but since it got funded I bumped my pledge up to $50 on the Kickstarter.

Now I've put $80 towards this game. Funny seeing I rarely buy games at fill price nowadays.

Someone earlier was musing about great game taverns?

- The Friendly Arm Inn (Baldur's Gate) - For nailing that sense of shelter and escape, whilst also providing your first real link to the world outside of Candlekeep. It feels like a real place.

- The Smouldering Corpse (Planescape: Torment) - For the clientele and conversation. Simply one of the most interesting spaces in any game, past or present.

- The Hairy Bear Inn (The Witcher) - For its bar brawls, dice poker, a distrusting barkeep and really well integrated in with the gaming world's day/night cycle and quests. It's a hole, but it's a hole you can crawl back to at the end of a hard day's Witching to get drunk with a buddy.

- Termina Tavern (Majora's Mask) - For the sense of community. The growing tensions building up to that final night of people coming together for the end of the world. Really nicely done.

Zeliard

Someone earlier was musing about great game taverns?

- The Friendly Arm Inn (Baldur's Gate) - For nailing that sense of shelter and escape, whilst also providing your first real link to the world outside of Candlekeep. It feels like a real place.

- The Smouldering Corpse (Planescape: Torment) - For the clientele and conversation. Simply one of the most interesting spaces in any game, past or present.

- The Hairy Bear Inn (The Witcher) - For its bar brawls, dice poker, a distrusting barkeep and really well integrated in with the gaming world's day/night cycle and quests. It's a hole, but it's a hole you can crawl back to at the end of a hard day's Witching to get drunk with a buddy.

- Termina Tavern (Majora's Mask) - For the sense of community. The growing tensions building up to that final night of people coming together for the end of the world. Really nicely done.

Good stuff.

It's gonna need some memorable music too. That's ultra-critical.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Congratulations guys. Not my kinda game but have been following this thread with baited breath since it got made. Thrilled that y'all did it! Hope the game is awesome.

Clydefrog

Shagg is a class act. Thanks, Shagg, you did a great job putting this together.

two other classic inns:

Sleeping Bull Inn from U7: Part II
Blue Boar Tavern/Inn from many Ultimas

Violet_0

Banned
for authenticity, patron dialogue must involve at least one or more of the following key words: "tipping", "circumcision", "console wars".

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

submit ideas in this thread, or will you start a new thread?

nickcv

i was thinking we could find a way to actually have all our "names" in the tavern.

we could have a wall of the tavern carved with names of heroes and adventurers from the past. each of us could choose the name of his hero, maybe with the additional rule that it need to have some kind of relation with his gaf nick name.

sure, 145 names are a lot and maybe requires too many texture, we could use some names for food and drinks that the Inn will sell, and so on.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
i was thinking we could find a way to actually have all our "names" in the tavern.

we could have a wall of the tavern carved with names of heroes and adventurers from the past. each of us could choose the name of his hero, maybe with the additional rule that it need to have some kind of relation with his gaf nick name.

sure, 145 names are a lot and maybe requires too many texture, we could use some names for food and drinks that the Inn will sell, and so on.

Almost impossible to keep 145 GAF user names in lore.

Does ANYONE know how detailed GAFs plan for this Inn can be?

The details are all yet to be revealed by Obsidian, I believe. My guess is we'll get given certain dimensions for space, and can choose the internal layout, decorations and items etc, and NPCs / dialogue themes within reason.

I imagine Obsidian have chosen / are choosing how to spread out the Inns across the game map, so maybe we'll get told which part of the world we'll be in and certain restrictions that may be inherent to the area.

DieH@rd

Banned
The details are all yet to be revealed by Obsidian, I believe. My guess is we'll get given certain dimensions for space, and can choose the internal layout, decorations and items etc, and NPCs / dialogue themes within reason.

I imagine Obsidian have chosen / are choosing how to spread out the Inns across the game map, so maybe we'll get told which part of the world we'll be in and certain restrictions that may be inherent to the area.

Sounds great.

Nista

Seeing this happen brings a tear to this cynical old game dev's eye. Obsidian is lucky to have fans like GAF.

If you guys need help editing our Inn plans once all the feedback is in and we have the requirements, let me know. :)

They way that they talked about "big cities" in terms of "screens" - I would imagine that they have a budget for BG art, props, etc, like they described. Psyched that this is a go :)

Keio

For a Finer World
Congrats Shagg. Epic #winning! Really appreciate the effort you put into making this reality. Very inspiring!

My personal feelings on NeoGAF is the one of a safe place with super-deadly guards bashing any trolls/troublemakers that enter. It's where you hear the latest news and engage in friendly banter. Sounds like a cliched fantasy inn, definitely. Happy to see it become "reality" in a game.

Violet_0

Banned
put a troll (neutral) in there with a sign around the neck reading: "Junior" (or alternatively, the more generic "don't feed"). Kill the troll to claim the Banhammer?

Top Bottom