• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio supports FreeSync and next-gen HDMI

Why did Sony bring out PS4 Pro in late 2016 anyways? Was PS4 down on power vs XBO? Were they down on marketshare? Was 4KTV market penetration demanding it by late 2016? Obviously not.

It was because of PSVR launch. To give PSVR a platfom with muscle to do VR enough justice vs vanilla PS4. Plain and simple. If it wasn't for PSVR, PS4 Pro could have launched later and more properly specced for 4K.

Blame PSVR.

thenameDS

Hopefully Samsung release an updated 'One Connect Box' with HDMI 2.1. Or if an update can enable 2.1 would be even better. I just got my KS7000 and wouldn't be interested in buying a new TV for another 3 years.

icespide

Banned
Why did Sony bring out PS4 Pro in late 2016 anyways? Was PS4 down on power vs XBO? Were they down on marketshare? Was 4KTV market penetration demanding it by late 2016? Obviously not.

It was because of PSVR launch. To give PSVR a platfom with muscle to do VR enough justice vs vanilla PS4. Plain and simple. If it wasn't for PSVR, PS4 Pro could have launched later and more properly specced for 4K.

Blame PSVR.

people are still banging on this drum?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hopefully Samsung release an updated 'One Connect Box' with HDMI 2.1. Or if an update can enable 2.1 would be even better. I just got my KS7000 and wouldn't be interested in buying a new TV for another 3 years.
The people that went with Samsung TVs regarding HDMI 2.1 have the best chance of getting an actual dongle update because of the nature of their 'One connect box.' I really do hope they come out with an updated 2.1 enabled connect box for all you guys. It would be excellent and should be priority for them with 2.1 on the horizon. But they could also just make you guys buy newer sets instead which I'm hoping they won't go down this route.

Edit:
on topic -

Are the cables out yet for the hdmi 2.1 spec?
Not that I'm aware of. Currently no cables that support the full uncompressed 48Gbps bandwidth, yet.
My recommendation for current best HDMI cable(HDMI2.0): https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=15428&gclid=CIOD0viEndMCFdqPswodQSwNhw

Raide

I have a 4k Samsung but it's a shame it won't be updated anytime soon. Nice to unless it accidentally breaks. 😀

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Blame PSVR.

They dont need to be blamed for the hardware. They did what they did for 2016 to get out early and cheap. What they should get shit for is why previous and unpatched pro games don't get system level improvements like Scorpio does. Even if you want to say that the codebase is completely different between the two systems in designing games on a fine level, it should have been made some sort of priority

Thraktor

This is really surprising (and good) news. I had thought there was a small chance Sony might have been the first one to make ether move with PS4 Slim/Pro (as it could have pushed TV sales for them), but I really hadn't expected it from MS.

The fact that they're supporting Freesync 2's HDR implementation is going to make a big difference to lag, as well, as it allows the game engine to tone-map directly to the monitor/TV's colour space. This bypasses the extra tone-mapping step on the TV, which is why you see such a large jump in lag when you enable HDR on most current TVs.

Rourkey

It also helps that FreeSync is basically standard on all new GPUs coming out. I know it's not on the PS4 Pro (can possibly be updated with firmware?) but pretty much from this point on, all AMD GPUs will have FreeSync built in. If anything, it would be more surprising if Scorpio DIDN'T have FreeSync.

thats why all the scorpio threads were full of people surprised at the lack of freesync

It's a good thing I got my Samsung KS8000 so cheap. Makes it hurt a lot less to sell and upgrade when the new TV's hit. It's why I didn't go with an OLED.

So I'll make that jump when LG's OLED's get that functionality and I have a desktop GPU that supports it as well. So hopefully either AMD releases a comparable high end card or Nvidia finally caves.

Anyone who knows about my post history will know how long I've been waiting for this and how vocal I've been about it.

BigEmil

Blame PSVR.
No, if Pro came out in 2017 instead then PS5 will have to be delayed to release even more later which they don't want

thuway

The thing that worries is me is that television manufacturers will hold this feature hostage behind a premium model for the first few years. It was hard enough finding an HDR television that supports the UHD Premium badge- now I also have to wait for this :(.

The thing that worries is me is that television manufacturers will hold this feature hostage behind a premium model for the first few years. It was hard enough finding an HDR television that supports the UHD Premium badge- now I also have to wait for this :(.

Yep, even if 2.1 features are supported via a firmware upgrade, they will hold it back in its newer models. Sucks big time, but can't blame them for wanting to make money

Dabanton

Good feature, but I was set on getting a new TV this year. Will be interesting to see if any of this years batch will support this.

I hope MS has been talking to TV manufacturers like they did for the 360 launch with Samsung.

so it makes those crappy "motion flow" settings irrelevant or am i thinking of something else?

Yea they can help with that, but generally those are more intended for sports to make it more fluid to watch as the signal is 1080i 60hz.

But effectively for use in eliminating judder it would be a better option yes.

I can't stand motion interpolation anyway. Soap opera effect sucks.

Fredrik

Hmm, just thought of something. Won't Freesync combined with HDMI 2.1 mean that we might hover smoothly above 60hz all the way up to 120hz in Scorpio games (in less demanding areas)? Like with gsync on PC on 144hz screens?

Hmm, just thought of something. Won't Freesync combined with HDMI 2.1 mean that we might hover smoothly above 60hz all the way up to 120hz in Scorpio games (in less demanding areas)? Like with gsync on PC on 144hz screens?

Doubtful. Chances are there will be a cap at 60fps. But it will certainly help with stuttering or drops.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Depends on developer approach(much less likely in console space). But sure, they can potentially just uncap fps and go apeshit in less demanding areas.

Inuhanyou

console games will always generally be capped at 60 in order to fully optimize for all television sets, unless of course we're talking about VR or something similar

People should be concerned how they keep sending nothing but technical info and no games info...

People should understand that the actual intention is to have transparency with the specs for their up coming machine.. SCORPIO

how many straws have you grasped?

hint:

its a beast .

Never heard of freesync but if people tell me it's a good feature to have, I'm glad it's in there.

Just look up adaptive sync. Essentially what it does is match the refresh rate of the monitor with the output of the device.

So if your game drops to 35fps from 60fps say. The monitor instead of staying at a static 60hz and showing excessive stuttering/tearing it will drop to 35hz to match it. It actively stays with the output of GPU.

The beast scares people

Scorpio be like

scariest-gifs-see-you-in-your-dreams.gif

It's good to see MS putting a lot of effort into making this console and if it proves successful, hopefully it will make Sony put a lot of thought into PS5 too. Strong competition is always a good thing.

KampferZeon

Neo Member
So Good Job. I think Microsoft is doing the right thing to promote FreeSync.

I hope Nvidia will soon admit defeat and start supporting open industry standard.

However FreeSync has its own problems, that's why AMD is going to release FreeSync 2 soon

FS2 is supposed to have 3 things :
HDR
VRR ( Variable refresh rate, Game Mode), ( minimum 30Hz to 75Hz )

Currently on the market, no TV support FreeSync.

Monitor wise LG has a 4K HDR monitor in 2017 CES. lg-32UD99-W

Problem is this monitor only supports FreeSync 1.

So do we have to choose between 4K HDR and VRR in the near future?

Also i think all freesync display support VRR via Display Port. So how comes Scorpio have no display port?

Finally i suggest everyone to fully expect VRR support is enabled by Sony on PS4 and PS4 Pro via firmware update. Sony has done this before. Enabling HDR on original PS4 by FW

Inuhanyou

Not to downplay Freesync, but wouldn't it be unnecessary if a game maintained a consistent frame Rate?

Yeah, but how many games actually do that? Not as many as we'd like.

The fear for me is that when this tech becomes commonplace, devs wont give a shit about optimizing games as much anymore cause it'll still look smooth on TVs....

Raide

Not to downplay Freesync, but wouldn't it be unnecessary if a game maintained a consistent frame Rate?

If they game can keep it without any drops, then it won't be that useful but the vast majority of games still have issues, so Freesync would eliminate the main issues caused by variable frame rates and refresh rate inconsistency.

Soon find out i guess!

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Yeah, but how many games actually do that? The fear for me is that when this tech becomes commonplace, devs wont give a shit about optimizing games as much anymore cause it'll still look smooth on TVs....

That's another potential valid concern.

But obviously Microsoft shouldn't be vilified for that though. Adding freesync is clearly a consumer first move, not a dev one.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It's childish shit like this that make these threads needlessly combative.
Going off topic but accounts like that exist exactly for this very purpose. They provide nothing of value other than fanboy console war bs. As clearly evident by their post history. Mainly in every MS/Sony thread, it's literally infested with these throwaway accounts.

Top Bottom