• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

DF not necessarily the best place to announce Scorpio news especially when one of their regular contributors (and Gaf regular) has a distaste for Microsoft. Not sure if it really is that easy to throw aside deep seated opinions.
aohTd3m.png

Too bad for DF, Scorpio will have a negative impact on DF threads/exposure.

That's speculation, not even a rumor.

And? I'm not stating that as fact.

I'm saying this seems to be the most likely set up from everything we've seen. There isn't much reason to believe suddenly Scorpio is going to launch with Zen cores or anything substantially different than what we've seen for months.

The only things that are debatable in the spec list are the amount of RAM, and the CPU. Everything else is confirmed. And I don't see much reason CPU or RAM are much different than the 12 GB or upclocked Jaguars. People can go ahead and set themselves up for disappointment but I'm not going to change my thoughts on that until MS comes out and confirms a stronger CPU

Puma, Jaguar, Zen, Potato...I'm still buying one after hearing all the lil tid bits (advance cooling, compact design, 4K native games reveals. Pretty pumped, looking forward to it.

MarveI

Oh man 4 days (if true at all) will feel like an eternity now.

Wish I could pull a Cartman and freeze myself till the announcement.

MysteryM

OG xbox was a joke. Making something that big in fears of a RROD. Hire a competent team then.
Significantly bigger than ps4, and yet weaker.

I'd rather have a bigger console than a noiser one. I can't hear either of my xbox one consoles, and had to wait until the slim before I picked up a PS4.

LOL come on now

Where is there a single credible rumor of Zen? People have been talking about Zen in some of these threads like there is a legit chance of it happening and yet there isn't any credible source out there hinting towards that or saying its happening. Its mostly been just excited fans hyping themselves up for it.

Again, I'm not saying its impossible. MS may come out and announce Zen, if so sweet. But going in assuming that's happening seems to be a pretty great way to set yourself up to be disappointed when we don't have anything pointing towards it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
And? I'm not stating that as fact.

I'm saying this seems to be the most likely set up from everything we've seen. There isn't much reason to believe suddenly Scorpio is going to launch with Zen cores or anything substantially different than what we've seen for months.

The only things that are debatable in the spec list are the amount of RAM, and the CPU. Everything else is confirmed. And I don't see much reason CPU or RAM are much different than the 12 GB or upclocked Jaguars. People can go ahead and set themselves up for disappointment but I'm not going to change my thoughts on that until MS comes out and confirms a stronger CPU

Of course you did! I'm response to someone asking what we know, you replied "6 TF GPU, 12 GB of RAM, 320GB/s memory set-up, no ESRAM, upclocked Jaguar CPU"

Thorrgal

Where is there a single credible rumor of Zen? People have been talking about Zen in some of these threads like there is a legit chance of it happening and yet there isn't any credible source out there hinting towards that or saying its happening. Its mostly been just excited fans hyping themselves up for it.

Again, I'm not saying its impossible. MS may come out and announce Zen, if so sweet. But going in assuming that's happening seems to be a pretty great way to set yourself up to be disappointed when we don't have anything pointing towards it.

Have to agree with you, only thing pointing to Zen is Shinobi's tweet.

If it's jaguar will be $399 though, anything else will mean a higher price point. Can't have it all

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

dude, I am not saying it will be Zen. Someone asked a question what do we know so far, and you said unlocked Jaguar like it was confirmed. People who are saying it will be Zen knows that they are just speculating. So I am saying we don't know anything yet so don't spread out misinformation. That's all.

AMD doesn't have ready Raven Ridge in time with Scorpio release

first APU with 4 core Ryzen + Vega tech as gpu will be ready at the end of this year
8core APU will follow in 2018

due to compatibility with Xbox titles they can't use a non 8 core apu even if it's much faster

simply the timing with release is not compatible .

As I mentioned, doesn't matter what CPU it's using for me, the system sounds like it might have some optimization tricks.

I think people should really keep their expectations in check, just in case so you don't end up be disappointed and calling it a failure or something because you had your expectations through the roof when in reality it's probably gonna be a worthy upgrade/purchase.

Just don't do it to yourself, wait for official confirmation.

Of course you did! I'm response to someone asking what we know, you replied "6 TF GPU, 12 GB of RAM, 320GB/s memory set-up, no ESRAM, upclocked Jaguar CPU"

Because, again that's what the signs point to as being most likely.

I'll ask you the same thing I asked above, where is the credible Zen rumor? Outside of NeoGAF speculation threads where is the big name sites / leakers talking about Zen cores in Scorpio?

iMax

I still remember the good ol' days of 2012 where we were all hyping ourselves up that Durango would use Hybrid Memory Cubes instead of DDR3 RAM.

It's important to stay grounded. Zen would be awesome but it's unlikely, considering the timeframe, costs, architectural priorities, etc...

Don't get me wrong, it would be amazing if true, and it's of course not out of the realms of possibility. But I don't think it's at all likely, so I'll temper my own expectations so as not to be disappointed.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I don't see Zen happening. MS has already briefed indie devs on the best way to utilize Scorpio features and a new CPU would, uh, kinda be important for compatibility. But there's been nothing in the docs I see that indicate a move to a new architecture.

op_ivy

Because, again that's what the signs point to as being most likely.

I'll ask you the same thing I asked above, where is the credible Zen rumor? Outside of NeoGAF speculation threads where is the big name sites / leakers talking about Zen cores in Scorpio?

The difference is, I'm not acting as if Zen is known. I've heard no rumors of Zen or jaguar. Lots of speculation for both, some teases for each, but afaik no one is claiming one or the other as sources knowledge

The difference is, I'm not acting as if Zen is known. I've heard no rumors of Zen or jaguar. Lots of speculation for both, some teases for each, but afaik no one is claiming one or the other as sources knowledge

The documentation I linked to, makes no mention whatsoever of a large increase to CPU power, when it DOES outline the increases in GPU tech, and RAM, to help devs with development. You don't think that maybe briefing devs that hey, we are telling you all this info to help with your game design but we are just going to totally ignore the massive change in CPU because reasons, makes a ton of sense?

Again, maybe Zen happens. Would be dope I'd be amped as hell for it. But the most credible thing right now is to assume Jaguar until given new / different information.

This all hardware or will they be showing games running on hardware behind the scenes?

Because I need some SoD2 info. I know it's coming to X1 too, but I ge the feeling there'll be a more definitive version on Scorpio. Better textures, more stable frame-rate, etc. There's very little loading in SoD, so that won't be a concern, maybe the Scorpio will allow for more detailed world? Larger world perhaps?

Theorry

This all hardware or will they be showing games running on hardware behind the scenes?

Because I need some SoD2 info. I know it's coming to X1 too, but I ge the feeling there'll be a more definitive version on Scorpio. Better textures, more stable frame-rate, etc. There's very little loading in SoD, so that won't be a concern, maybe the Scorpio will allow for more detailed world? Larger world perhaps?

Devs said next time you hear something is at E3.

op_ivy

The documentation I linked to, makes no mention whatsoever of a large increase to CPU power, when it DOES outline the increases in GPU tech, and RAM, to help devs with development. You don't think that maybe briefing devs that hey, we are telling you all this info to help with your game design but we are just going to totally ignore the massive change in CPU because reasons, makes a ton of sense?

Again, maybe Zen happens. Would be dope I'd be amped as hell for it. But the most credible thing right now is to assume Jaguar until given new / different information.

Well reasoned speculation is still speculation. And I made no judgment on this specific speculation.

THE:MILKMAN

Exactly. Never much common sense in these new console threads. The PS4 Pro thread wasn't that long ago. My "common sense" came through in that case against "insiders" that knew better...

Oh god I remember the red and blue pills and Sony talking to the kid who works in the warehouse at gamestop about which CPU they should go with lol!

Then that other guy talking about game changer secret sauce which never materialised. Keep expectations in check peoples!.

Wedzi

Banned
As someone who's been following all the Jaguar/Zen speculation for what seems like an eternity, I'm just happy it's ending this week. (hopefully)

A souped-up Jaguar, 6TF GPU, 12GB of RAM, 320gb/s, for $399 sounds about right

THE:MILKMAN

Oh god I remember the red and blue pills and Sony talking to the kid who works in the warehouse at gamestop about which CPU to go with lol!

Right! Didn't feel I could let rip as one of these insiders was bish approved. Even after I posted the full Neo dev docs there was still the insistence that Sony had 2 options and were still debating which APU to go for! It took the piss to be honest and I was amazed so few called it out.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DF not necessarily the best place to announce Scorpio news especially when one of their regular contributors (and Gaf regular) has a distaste for Microsoft. Not sure if it really is that easy to throw aside deep seated opinions.
aohTd3m.png
[/IMG]
You don't even have the context for that ancient comment. Do you know where that comment originates from? I was being harassed constantly by "thelastword" (another poster around here) - every single thread he would show up and make baseless claims that we were all against Sony and couldn't be trusted. I was still green, though, and I let him get under my skin and, as a result, basically tried to spin things in the opposite direction without thinking about it. Didn't know how to deal with someone like that at the time. That's all.

These days, I love all platforms - I wouldn't own upwards of 400 games for Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One if I didn't. The original Xbox was amazing and Xbox 360 was the king of last generation. Take a look at the coverage I've done for all the big Microsoft games over the past couple years - I've been a huge champion of what they're doing.

However, early on in the days of Xbox One, I did wind up having a bone to pick with them based entirely on the attempts to eliminate game ownership. I'm a retro collector and that really really bugged me. I'm over it now but, at the time, I was not happy about that. I also didn't like the Kinect direction they were going. Basically, there WAS a period of 2 or 3 years where I wasn't fond of what Xbox was doing (but I've felt similarly about every company at some point in the past - could probably find all kinds of stuff in my 18 years of posting on GAF)).

Since Phil came in and shook things up I think Xbox has been doing quite well. A lot of amazing games on there and a great hardware revision (Xbox One S). Some of my favs of the generation were on Xbox first - Ori and the Blind Forest, Inside, Gears 4 etc. Great stuff.

Not very nice to bring that up again since it's untrue and also been dealt with millions of times over.

blakep267

It seems that this is just hardware specs and Forza 7 info/videos

Specs aside, it should be a nice piece of hardware aesthetically just like the Xbone S. If they get the hardware, price, OS, and most importantly launch lineup correct, I think it will do well.

I’m curious to see the reveal in any case. Any new hardware from the big 3 is always exciting!

Breakage

Is it really worth boasting about what's under the hood if Scorpio will only play Xbox One software? Surely that limits what can be done with the hardware.

Forza is the perfect game to help brush the shit CPU under the carpet. Locked 60fps and (probably) native 4K.

Who needs a decent CPU, it's all about teh balance!

edit -

Is it really worth boasting about what's under the hood if Scorpio will only play Xbox One software? Surely that limits what can be done with the hardware.

Eh, how so?

Are all the PC multiplats capped at PS4 graphical settings?

Is there zero reason to buy a PSPro?

Top Bottom