• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS blog on Astro Bot announcement flooded with comments asking for PSVR2 support

Elios83

Some people sure like to comment, too bad they were not so proactive in buying a PSVR2 🤭 👀
Anyway they can always add it down the line, it's much better that they're focusing on making a great game that can be enjoyed by way more people.

SkylineRKR

I think Astro Bot being built just for PS5 is much better. Astro Bot has always been an exceptional platform game, but it was either reduced to being a tech demo ish freebie, or a VR game. That freebie is one of the best PS5 games mind you, but its not really a feature full game. The next game will be (likely) a bigger release accessible to everyone with a PS5. The quality of the Astro Bot games I played, which is all of them, is quite staggering.

Rescue Mission was also very good, but limited to VR owners. And honestly, I don't really enjoy using VR for prolonged times. I liked the PS5 Playroom more, it felt more comfy to play.

• Fire
Reactions: Isa

mrcroket

Vr players didnt expect vr only title but for sure expected hybrid aproach and vr mode
Astrobot VR was created with VR in mind, to make you part of the world, not just a "camera". So I understand why they scrapped the idea, specially when astrobot for PS5 was a hit, and PSVR hasn't sold much.

sncvsrtoip

Astrobot VR was created with VR in mind, to make you part of the world, not just a "camera". So I understand why they scrapped the idea, specially when astrobot for PS5 was a hit, and PSVR hasn't sold much.
as I wrote, can understand taking into account market size they wont spend 4 years on making vr only title but making vr mode (hybrid approach like in last resident evils/gt7) is bare minimum

Last edited:

Sintoid

Astrobot Rescue mission was the true KA for Playstation VR mostly for the great use of VR in solving puzzle
I can undestand the letdown but let's face it - adding VR support would have no impact on the VR sales if also on PS5 clean
And the mere VR support would be a letdown compared to the great VR implementation in Rescue Mission

Turn on that preorder page Sony!

SkylineRKR

Exactly. PSVR2 userbase is next to non existent. If you are going to build a game for this platform from the ground up you limit yourself greatly and it would probably a smaller, low budget effort to begin with.

On top of that the original which was completely built for VR and therefore played quite different and gave an unique platform game experience. Adding some VR mode to the new game would devalue this experience anyway, as this one is clearly being built as a regular 3D platform game. If I were Sony I wouldn't do it either.

If Sony would be serious about VR naturally this game would get VR support, the team knows how to do it. Also, Rescue Mission would have already been ported to regular flat PS5 and VR2... there is practically nothing in Rescue Mission that does not work without VR. Iirc only the VR+TV coop stuff and maybe some few segments are better with the camera stuck to your head, while not impossible without. It would have a harder time on flat, since the VR gimmick would be gone, but it was anyway a good game, and with Playroom they upped their game by adding some charming nostalgia and platform celebration.
Practically any flat game can run in VR and should be VR-too, at least Sony's own games. So Concord too and anything even remotely compatible with VR should be on VR2.
But they just made the hw, their hw team did a reasonably good job, but the rest of the company abandoned the original plan. But it's just not the plan we started with, right?

I had hoped that GaaS initiative might have VR-too as part of the bigger plan, but nope, GT and the Horizon spinoff seem to be really all Sony wants to do with their own sidekick platform. Kinda ridiculous, even Vita got more love and this time no one even asks for or needs true exclusives, just VR-too is all people ask for.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

If Sony would be serious about VR naturally this game would get VR support, the team knows how to do it. Also, Rescue Mission would have already been ported to regular flat PS5 and VR2... there is practically nothing in Rescue Mission that does not work without VR. Iirc only the VR+TV coop stuff and maybe some few segments are better with the camera stuck to your head, while not impossible without. It would have a harder time on flat, since the VR gimmick would be gone, but it was anyway a good game, and with Playroom they upped their game by adding some charming nostalgia and platform celebration.
Practically any flat game can run in VR and should be VR-too, at least Sony's own games. So Concord too and anything even remotely compatible with VR should be on VR2.
But they just made the hw, their hw team did a reasonably good job, but the rest of the company abandoned the original plan. But it's just not the plan we started with, right?

I had hoped that GaaS initiative might have VR-too as part of the bigger plan, but nope, GT and the Horizon spinoff seem to be really all Sony wants to do with their own sidekick platform. Kinda ridiculous, even Vita got more love and this time no one even asks for or needs true exclusives, just VR-too is all people ask for.
exactly, such a wasted potential :messenger_pensive:

Topher

Gold Member
Sony bought studios to support their live service and PC port efforts, but where is the VR support coming from?

Robb

Gold Member
Will they boycott the game? I wonder
I don’t think it’d even be noticeable if they do or not.

Total sales for Astro Bot Recue Mission was 200K on PSVR iirc (which had a user base of what, around 5M in total?). That’s nothing, and it seems likely it’d sell even less on PSVR2, which I doubt has reached 5M.

diffusionx

Gold Member

They ported Tearaway to the PS4, despite the fact that the game was built entirely around the Vita's unique capabilities, and made really good use of it. The PS4 version was not as good, but it was still a really good game. So I think they could have reworked Rescue Mission for regular console if they wanted to. Or they could have ported it to PSVR2. Or they could have ported it to PC and Quest and let people play it there. It's just strange that we get endless unnecessary remakes and remasters of games that already play on PS5 like TLOU2 and Horizon and Until Dawn and they're working on more when this one game, universally considered amazing, is just totally ignored. It is stuff like this that makes me think the people running SCE right now just have no taste, and that's not a good thing.

file.php

Fbh

I mean, it makes sense given how beloved the first one was.
Making it PSVR2 exclusive would be dumb and ensure it's DOA, but asking for an optional VR mode seems reasonable.
If Capcom can release a free VR mode for RE4R surely Sony can do the same for this.

tmlDan

naw, im good with no VR, the other two VR games looked good enough.

I much prefer Astro as a normal platformer

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don’t think it’d even be noticeable if they do or not.

Total sales for Astro Bot Recue Mission was 200K on PSVR iirc (which had a user base of what, around 5M in total?). That’s nothing, and it seems likely it’d sell even less on PSVR2, which I doubt has reached 5M.
I don't think it would be about the sales at this point but just supporting their customers.

diffusionx

Gold Member
No its not missing the point as would be good enough taking into account market size of vr. A lot development work ? Lets be serious here, many pc vr modes are good created by single person.

I doubt the people who are asking for PSVR2 support would be ok with some tacked-on mode, considering the original game was designed for VR and made use of the hardware. It's a step back from a VR perspective.

What Sony SHOULD be doing is instead of yet another Horizon game is to make a full Rescue Mission 2 for VR as well as this game. Make it for PC and Quest too, if you need a bigger installed base.

sncvsrtoip

I doubt the people who are asking for PSVR2 support would be ok with some tacked-on mode, considering the original game was designed for VR and made use of the hardware. It's a step back from a VR perspective.

What Sony SHOULD be doing is instead of yet another Horizon game is to make a full Rescue Mission 2 for VR as well as this game. Make it for PC and Quest too, if you need a bigger installed base.
So check psvr reddit, majority of players would be fine with just vr mode. Many expecting this gen will be hybrid aproach with real aaa games with vr modes. Didnt happen tough hw was there. Majority dont want to play quest games even if they are vr af. Pure vr aaa was always unrealistic taking into account market size

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I don't think it would be about the sales at this point but just supporting their customers.
Agreed. I’m just saying I don’t think a boycott would make a noticeable dent, or any dent at all - unfortunately.

Top Bottom