• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS blog on Astro Bot announcement flooded with comments asking for PSVR2 support

scydrex

Nope, we're good, thanks.

No need for VR, they showed Behemoth and Alien
Why? They can do it hybrid. Is there a problem with gt7, nms, re4 remake and village having a vr mode? Why don't you guys saying this game dosen't need a vr mode said it with those games above? Most of us who owns a psvr2 want hybrid games and not vr only exclusives.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Why? They can do it hybrid. Is there a problem with gt7, nms, re4 remake and village having a vr mode? Why don't you guys saying this game dosen't need a vr mode said it with those games above? Most of us who owns a psvr2 want hybrid games and not vr only exclusives.
Hybrid is a waste of time for this game, it wouldn't make it much better.

If they make an astro VR it needs to be made for it. I don't think adding another year of dev is a good thing.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
More people loved and wanted a sequel to Rescue Mission than Playroom. Sony are banking on appealing to the masses to make more sales.

Basically like everything, if the cost of growth in the IP is the core audience, then see ya later.

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
Even a "hybrid" game would be missed potential. The added value of VR is having gameplay and LEVEL DESIGN that can only be achieved with VR. It's dumb to limit the tech with "flat gaming" constraints.

Asobi is an incredibly talented and creative studio. The innovation they could come up with this in VR would set higher standards, but for Sony that's not a good investment, its so much better to make things like Concord or Destruction All Stars. Hail Hermen.

sncvsrtoip

Even a "hybrid" game would be missed potential. The added value of VR is having gameplay and LEVEL DESIGN that can only be achieved with VR. It's dumb to limit the tech with "flat gaming" constraints.

Asobi is an incredibly talented and creative studio. The innovation they could come up with this in VR would set higher standards, but for Sony that's not a good investment, its so much better to make things like Concord or Destruction All Stars. Hail Hermen.
wrong, again best games for psvr2 are hybrids: gt7, re4r, village, no mans sky and expecting to release aaa vr only game is very unrealistic

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If youre going to do VR gaming, get a PC set. PSVR1 didnt do much, and VR2 is even worse. Last gasp of hope is sales pick up later in the year when the PC dongle comes out.

If Sony doesn't want to do VR for Astrobot PS5 (Astro 1 was a VR game), you should be able to read between the lines (especially since Sony never even talks about VR2 or hardware sales except for a handful of third party games). VR2 is dead.

Last edited:

scydrex

Hybrid is a waste of time for this game, it wouldn't make it much better.

If they make an astro VR it needs to be made for it. I don't think adding another year of dev is a good thing.
Sure... because gt7, nms, re4 and 8 are a waste of time... have you tried those games? Gt7, nms and village are much better in vr than in normal mode. Sorry but you are wrong there.

Last edited:

scydrex

Even if those games are amazing in VR, they aren't a fraction of what they could be with "VR native" controls and overall design.
Wrong the controls are excellent. Sure a native vr game would have more immersion but the control with those hybrid feels awesome. No need to improve them or a game need to be native to be excellent on vr.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Sure... because gt7, nms, re4 and 8 are a waste of time... have you tried those games? Gt7, nms and village are much better in vr than in normal mode. Sorry but you are wrong there.
I have, but dont use them often.

That's the point, VR is hard for extensive play time (eyes, nausea, etc.) and the RE games didn't release VR modes until after release.

I think you're wrong that they should waste dev time on a platform nobody uses, I love VR but im also a realist.

scydrex

I have, but dont use them often.

That's the point, VR is hard for extensive play time (eyes, nausea, etc.) and the RE games didn't release VR modes until after release.

I think you're wrong that they should waste dev time on a platform nobody uses, I love VR but im also a realist.
So your take is no dev should waste time making a vr game or even a vr mode? If a devs decide to do a vr mode? Then what you do? You don't buy the game?

Last edited:

tmlDan

So your take is no dev should waste time making a vr game or even a vr mode? If a devs decide to do a vr mode? Then what you do? You don't buy the game?
My argument is its a waste of money to make a mode the majority of people wont play. Dev time = Money. Dev time = More time before the next release

Last edited:
My argument is its a waste of money to make a mode the majority of people wont play. Dev time = Money. Dev time = More time before the next release
VR mode doesn’t hurt you.

It can’t be a waste of resources if VR mode gets more people to buy these games. I have friends who would never play a game like GT7 but ended up buying it to play it with their PSVR2s. Hybrid modes aren’t a waste of time and resources when they enhance games and give more options to gamers. I don’t understand your logic.

Aenima

Im glad the studio did not suicided itself by making this one a PSVR game only,

They might add a PSVR mode down the line. But im glad the focus is the main console.

tmlDan

VR mode doesn’t hurt you.

It can’t be a waste of resources if VR mode gets more people to buy these games. I have friends who would never play a game like GT7 but ended up buying it to play it with their PSVR2s. Hybrid modes aren’t a waste of time and resources when they enhance games and give more options to gamers. I don’t understand your logic.
it wont get more people to buy the game, what kind of world do you think we live in lol

scydrex

it wont get more people to buy the game, what kind of world do you think we live in lol
Maybe not but it does give more reason to get a psvr2 if they are more games with vr mode and native vr games maybe more people will buy it. I brought the psvr2 because of gt7. If a game have a vr mode then i play it in vr. AAA games for vr only is not possible. It dosen't make money. That's why most of us who owns a psvr2 want hybrid games not vr exclusive. If a dev choose to spend money and time making a vr mode because they can afford it it's fine. If a dev decide to make a vr mode how it would affect the game? Will it make the game worse somehow? Is gt7, nms, re4 and 8 worse somehow because they have a vr mode? If Astro Bot later with an update brings a vr mode how it will make the game worse?

Last edited:

Crayon

Astrobot in VR showed me that it would even make mario 64 better. I think the best approach to VR is games that can be played with or without. Astrobot could have been played without but was amazing with. Same for GT7, RE8, Skyrim, etc. The best VR games are non-VR games. I like dedicated VR as fuck games but they are not the best ones imo.

I have car enthusiast buddies who only bought a PSVR2 and steering wheels for GT7 because it feels like they are actually in the cars they love in real life. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Games like GT7, RE Village, etc. will sell well regardless but VR modes will get even more people to buy them. Hybrid VR modes enhance these games even more that’s my point.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

GOOD.
Angry Fed Up GIF by ZIP ZIP
shooting grumpy cat GIF

But sadly it won't change anything so close from release. Let's hope they holding a proper sequel to AstroBot: Rescue Mission VR...

Last edited:

mortal

A simple VR mode in which you control the camera by looking around would be completely fine.
Would it though? The level design in Rescue Mission was built with VR in mind. A hybrid version in this case would only fall short of that game and feel like a step back imo.
The hybrid version works well for a game like GT7 because the game already features a first-person camera.

Although I understand why some are disappointed/annoyed at the lack of support from Sony. Hopefully Astro Bot will do well both critically & commercially, giving Team Asobi the pull to make another proper, full-fat VR game in the future.

Audiophile

My post from the main thread:

"Lots of either-or / back and forth between the VR and non-VR crowd. Ideal approach to me is make the best game they can for PS5 and for flat panel; taking advantage of the traditional format and a large target audience to try and cement the franchise; and then port over/adapt Rescue Mission for PSVR2 a little bit after (not saying it's a cakewalk, but it's not a big ask).

Then if Astro Bot is successful, spawn off a small-ish team to work on Rescue Mission II for PSVR2; with a moderate scope and make that the very best game it can be for the VR format. Time its release with a price drop on PSVR2 (no way that thing is selling near cost) and make it cross-platform with the new PSVR2 PC support to give it a greater chance.

Ideally -- and again, if successful... -- they could be expanded to not only make large scale, mainline, flat-panel Astro Bot games but moderate scale, VR Rescue Mission games. A lot of tech, ideas/concepts and other stuff could be shared but each type of game will get to be the best it can be for its respective format."

begotten

every game should have vr support, even if something basic as go into photo mode and put on VR headset to look around the game world in VR and take VR / 3D pics

Jesus I hope there isn't existing examples of this. What a waste of time by the developers and the players to actually do this.

nial

Gold Member
The innovation they could come up with this in VR would set higher standards, but for Sony that's not a good investment, its so much better to make things like Concord or Destruction All Stars. Hail Hermen.
What's the correlation? For Sony making a full TV-based game is what's a much better investment, and they're right. This is the very first chance for the franchise to break into the mainstream.
And Destruction AllStars was like 75% produced under Shuhei Yoshida. If we're gonna trash Hermen Hulst over stuff like Concord, we also need to give him credit over Astro Bot.

Nydius

Gold Member
Would it though? The level design in Rescue Mission was built with VR in mind. A hybrid version in this case would only fall short of that game and feel like a step back imo.
The hybrid version works well for a game like GT7 because the game already features a first-person camera.

Although I understand why some are disappointed/annoyed at the lack of support from Sony. Hopefully Astro Bot will do well both critically & commercially, giving Team Asobi the pull to make another proper, full-fat VR game in the future.

100% this. All the people complaining and saying they'd be fine with it being a "hybrid" would absolutely be right back on the PSBlog, Youtube, Reddit, and here bitching and moaning that it isn't a "full VR experience" and that it is inferior to the original Astro Bot Rescue Mission. They are trying to expand Astro Bot to the mainstream. If it's a success, then they can get to making a sequel to Rescue Mission that's fully designed around PSVR2's feature set.

wondermega

My take - I begrudgingly picked up Rescue Mission on PSVR because of all the buzz, but the screenshots looked bland and the name even more so. Anyway, I was FLOORED from the get-go, it immediately became my favorite game in VR. Just 1000% a delight.

As for this - like many, I have been waiting to see a proper VR follow-up to Rescue Mission. After all this time, and seeing what has become of Sony's support/level of interest in PSVR2 - and also considering the very fickle state of the industry on "weird IPs" in general (never mind "weird peripheral support") I am not at all surprised to see that this is what has become of our beloved Astro. I am happy that the franchise is continuing, and that trailer looked like perfection for the type of game it is. But for someone like me, who has been holding out to buy PSVR2 unit until "let's see what they do with Astrobot" - hell, I was waiting on this to decide if I'd even buy a PS5 - well yes it is still a disappointment. I wouldn't be super-surprised if they included some "VR mode" at this point but let's face it, they would have thrown the community some kind of bone with this product reveal if so. Even so I am not necessarily interested in some tacked-on mode to follow up the BEST VR EXPERIENCE I'VE EXPERIENCED.

Anyway, glad to see the franchise continuing, sad to see that I'm not in the target market anymore, but I am still very pleased with what we DID get last gen as it was such a surprise.

Švejk

Mentioned in another thread, VR Astro Bot will be coming, whether it's implemented into this installment, RM2, or a unique stand-alone... Asobi has too many good ideas that they have yet to show us with DualSense features... Especially for the PSVR2 ones. The tingling in my balls tells me this is true.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
What exactly is VR design?

NMS has "VR native" controls, unless you mean something completely out of this world?

Levels designed in 3D, so you have to look up or turn around to find hidden stuff. As for gameplay, in the Astrobot VR enemies attack you (not Astro but the player) and you have to dodge the shots while also controlling the other character physically. In short, things that are not possible on a flat screen.

Asobi has Nintendo-like creativity, they would flourish with full free reign.

Neff

Astrobot VR was created with VR in mind, to make you part of the world, not just a "camera".

Exactly. Rescue Mission is cleverly custom-made for VR. Perspective, and the ability to control it seperate from the action, is key to its innovation. There are many sections which would need to be retooled without it. Presumably any VR mode added to this would simply be a design afterthought.

diffusionx

Gold Member
wrong, again best games for psvr2 are hybrids: gt7, re4r, village, no mans sky and expecting to release aaa vr only game is very unrealistic
Simulations are a natural fit for VR for obvious reasons. But it's just a waste of the VR's potential to just slap a VR mode on an existing game. The best ones are built around the actual tech, like Half Life Alyx and, yea, Astro Bot Rescue Mission. If PSVR2's best games are just VR modes, then Sony is wasting its technology - of course we all know that they are wasting it.

The best solution would be this game and Rescue Mission 2.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Some people sure like to comment, too bad they were not so proactive in buying a PSVR2 🤭 👀
Anyway they can always add it down the line, it's much better that they're focusing on making a great game that can be enjoyed by way more people.
I have a PSVR2 and I was complaining that the game should be in VR ALONG with it being a 3D platformer for the PS5, much like PSVR2 owners can enjoy Resi 8 and 4 along with people who don't own the VR headset.

Top Bottom