• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS blog on Astro Bot announcement flooded with comments asking for PSVR2 support

Katatonic

I think a big part of the problem is that, not so long ago, especially during showcases and awards shows, people would post yawns and disappointment in general whenever a title would be announced as PSVR even if it was playable on TV.

Hopefully there's a VR component in the works (there better be).

Minsc

Gold Member
Simulations are a natural fit for VR for obvious reasons. But it's just a waste of the VR's potential to just slap a VR mode on an existing game. The best ones are built around the actual tech, like Half Life Alyx and, yea, Astro Bot Rescue Mission. If PSVR2's best games are just VR modes, then Sony is wasting its technology - of course we all know that they are wasting it.

The best solution would be this game and Rescue Mission 2.

There are quite nearly countless reviews of RE4 Remake on the PSVR2 by both PSVR2 focused and general non-Sony focused review sites which conclude it's the best VR experience they've ever played.

Hybrid modes work for many people in ways that are as good or better than native games.

diffusionx

Gold Member
There are quite nearly countless reviews of RE4 Remake on the PSVR2 by both PSVR2 focused and general non-Sony focused review sites which conclude it's the best VR experience they've ever played.

Hybrid modes work for many people in ways that are as good or better than native games.
I don’t even know why people keep insisting on this considering we are talking in the context of a game that took advantage of VR in a way that few did, and I am simply saying that just slapping a VR mode on a non VR game is a step back for this franchise, which it is.

Wonko_C

every game should have vr support, even if something basic as go into photo mode and put on VR headset to look around the game world in VR and take VR / 3D pics

Exacctly. Every game becomes better with VR, even if you add nothing else to it. I've been using UEVR Injector to play lots of third person games with it, platformers included, even sidescrollers like Bloodstained, it's like playing with actual living action figures. If a mod done by a few guys in their spare time that works with thousands of games (past, present, and even future!) can do it, Sony sure can afford to put a small team made up of a few people dedicated to adding basic VR modes to their games.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I don’t even know why people keep insisting on this considering we are talking in the context of a game that took advantage of VR in a way that few did, and I am simply saying that just slapping a VR mode on a non VR game is a step back for this franchise, which it is.

Given the scarcity of VR platformers - I mean there's Moss and maybe like 1 other one I can't think of? I'd be more than happy to take slapped on hybrid VR. There's something really cool about seeing isometric/3rd person stuff in VR. Demeo kinda does this for me too, just having a big open area to navigate all around you. So many VR games are first person (and horror at that) that getting something else is always welcome.

BlackTron

Gold Member
If they add a VR mode, it won't seem that great compared to the first game in VR because that was designed around being a VR game and this wasn't.

People signing up for Astro Bot Rescue Mission 2 would be disappointed with the way VR is handled in-game. This is a different thing, that is also great, that many more people will be able to enjoy.

Minsc

Gold Member
If they add a VR mode, it won't seem that great compared to the first game in VR because that was designed around being a VR game and this wasn't.

People signing up for Astro Bot Rescue Mission 2 would be disappointed with the way VR is handled in-game. This is a different thing, that is also great, that many more people will be able to enjoy.

That is very true, but for a series that began on VR afaik, the lack of any VR support at all (they could have opted for a few bonus levels if hybrid was going to be so terrible and such a scarring experience for ABRM players), is just a big slap on the face by Sony.
You have to consider that development on this began before the PSVR2 even had sales numbers and one could call it a failure, so in a way, it's like internally Sony already wrote the PSVR2 off of its life support before it even launched by not even putting any VR modes on a new VR hardware in a game that originally began on PSVR1.

Top Bottom