• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ Games no longer tied to subscription(Keep them forever) - EU - Probable Error

I've always wondered about how the PS+/Games with Gold thing works. Lets say I have one of those free 3 day to a month trial things that come with lots of games...Could I potentially use those and download the games that month and keep them forever if this PS+ thing does indeed turn out to be true for the US?

I do not want to continue my PS+ subscription once it runs out Summer next year because I have hated the selection the last half of a year, but I have a lot of free trial things that I could use to get any games from a certain month that I would like.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't make any sense for them to do this. No one would ever buy games if that was the case, most would just wait for them to be free on PS+.

No way. This is just a repeat of when they allowed all the PS1 and PSP games to be played on Vita for a week. It's a firmware bug that they will squash.

It has to be a mistake. If it's true then megaton but this can't be right......can it?

yup. it's probably a mistake

I don't think it's a mistake, if the game just didn't have an expiration date I might have agreed but they edited the way they right the Ps+ description in at least 3 separate store.

Andrefpvs

Yup, this month's PS+ games have no expiry date here (Portuguese store).

I wasn't thinking of unsubscribing, but it's still nice.

Foshy

Just checked the UK store:

B1r9kTNCYAA4Ori.jpg

Super interesting.

Doesn't read like a mistake, but let's wait and see...

*fingers crossed*

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sony probably had enough of the "Rental service" straw man comments

Hoo-doo

Banned
Dutch PS4 store mentions "Je kunt dit item als je Playstation Plus-lid bent zonder extra kosten downloaden en je hebt het voor altijd in je bezit."

Which basically says, download it and it's yours forever.

seems like a glitch, but sony probably will still honor it. On my account page this months games are listed as services, just like my Killzone SS purchase for 84p.

I've always wondered about how the PS+/Games with Gold thing works. Lets say I have one of those free 3 day to a month trial things that come with lots of games...Could I potentially use those and download the games that month and keep them forever if this PS+ thing does indeed turn out to be true for the US?

I do not want to continue my PS+ subscription once it runs out Summer next year because I have hated the selection the last half of a year, but I have a lot of free trial things that I could use to get any games from a certain month that I would like.

You can't keep using trials from my knowledge.

Yaska

Checked my PS4 and while games like DUST have an expiration date, Spelunky does not however. So maybe limited to some games?

WITHE1982

The wording there makes it look like it was intentional... Interesting... Anyone have an old screenshot from a PS+ game on the Vita, so we can see the before and after? lol

Spelunky is still up as the PS+ game this month and the sentence about being free forever isn't there at all (sorry can't upload screenshot from here)

Audioboxer

This is something that would have a big announcement, not a stealth rollout.

Will be a glitch for sure, no reason to do this when the competition rolls with the same model. They'd essentially be giving up subscriptions for what exactly? The content is already arguably better every month than the competitions offerings.

sakipon

I had decided not to renew anymore (my sub ends before New Years), but I can say this would change my mind. I really appreciate Games With Gold (360), that service made me resub even though I don't play online anymore.

Probably a mistake on Sony's side though...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
seems like a glitch, but sony probably will still honor it. On my account page this months games are listed as services, just like my Killzone SS purchase for 84p.
A glitch? Someone accidentally removed the expiry date and put in the description that you get to keep it forever is a glitch?

Cess007

I don't think i ever plan to let my PS+ subscription ends; but still awesome if true :)

Edit. Just checked my games. Still have expiration dates :(

TomShoe

Banned
Microsoft must be quaking in their boots right now. Sony just unleashed a gigaton bomb that will rock us all and swing the United States for PlayStation for years and years to come. Of course, those that only by goods in the US may be dissatisfied by this, but I welcome our new Japanese overlords so that they may shower us in the light of Bloodbornes and Uncharteds, and live mightily under the PlayStation Nation forever. Amen.

MUnited83

For you.
That's quite the final thread title for something that is clearly just a mistake.

Could possibly be... but, erm, the store description says itself that you get the game and keep it forever.

This is probably the best answer and it has been true for certain games like spelunky and Don't Starve.

Those were possibly cross-buy glitches. This however applies to every single game on PS+ this month, including Frozen Synapse PS3(not cross-buy)

Einbroch

Banned
If this is the case, is it a big deal?

I mean, it might be to some, but to me, I play a game, beat it, then move on. There are just too many games to go back and play over and over, years after they release.

Still, it's in no way a negative, so that's cool.

Tycho_b

They needed some draw to keep people renewing subscriptions, but it's needed for online play now, the draw ceased to exist. Not needed anymore for majority of PS+ subscribers.
However, it will draw new people interested in getting specific games.

Win-win.

AlucardGV

Banned
Did you see my photo? That doesn't look like a mistake.

uhm...if sony is really doing this i think they will write it everywhere and not doing it silently... dunno, seems strange to me.
maybe it's up to the developers to decide if they want to give it away without expiration date..

I mean, it might be to some, but to me, I play a game, beat it, then move on. There are just too many games to go back and play over and over, years after they release.

There are many games I've downloaded from PS+, but haven't got round to playing yet. It'd be nice if they were still available to me when I do get round to them, even if my sub has expired.

I'm with you honestly. Still, a big issue for some people is "ownership".

Sotha_Sil

I'm thinking the same thing. It's better than the old way, but this doesn't change anything for me personally.

Top Bottom