• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zampano

Well, it had to happen - I just dropped it for the first time. Slipped off the sofa onto our wooden floor with a thwack. Seems fine though!

Blablurn

I tried a PsVita for the first time yesterday in a shop.. damn that machine feels sexy like hell... fuck me for not having a shitload of money, or living in a country where stuff does not cost a fortune.. After trying the Vita yesterday I want one SO much, but being a family father with mortgage, diapers, wife, food, car etc. I´m screwed money wise... why the fuck did sony make this sexy machine.. ? I guess I have to wait untill the price ios lowered or I win the lottery. so probably never..

im just curious... where are u from?

Kerrby

Banned
Anyone got Everybody's Golf? How is it content wise? I'm hesitant to buy it because I feel there won't be many courses.

Hanmik

im just curious... where are u from?

I´m from Denmark.. but that would not be bad price wise (ok it´s more expensive than the rest of Europe).. but I actually live in the most expensive country in Europe..

a083.jpg

The Faroe Islands...

The Wifi Vita costs 2299 kroner. That is 310 euro (405$)
8Gb memory card (the only one that is available up here) costs 699 kr. that is 94 Euro (123$)..

and they do not sell games or anything up here.. I can only buy them on the PSN store.. so 8Gb is way to small for my needs.
I could order from the UK or Denmark.. but taxes and shipping would make it even more expensive..

Blablurn

I´m from Denmark.. but that would not be bad price wise (ok it´s more expensive than the rest of Europe).. but I actually live in the most expensive country in Europe..

a083.jpg

The Faroe Islands...

at least u have a great view :| importing doesnt help?

Hanmik

at least u have a great view :| importing doesnt help?

8Gb memory card (the only one that is available up here) costs 699 kr. that is 94 Euro (123$)..

and they do not sell games or anything up here.. I can only buy them on the PSN store.. so 8Gb is way to small for my needs.
I could order from the UK or Denmark.. but taxes and shipping would make it even more expensive..

and yes we have great undisturbed nature..

976932305_c5c22b40f8.jpg

but because we are only around 50.000 inhabitants in this country, the cost of living is pretty high..

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Tarin02543 said:
Is there any launch Vita title that runs at 60fps and is not a 2D sprite game?
You know, Rayman isn't actually a 2d sprite game.
I thought Fifa was also 60 in gameplay?

Alright someone please help! I feel like I have painted myself in a corner on Motorstorm RC. The only trophies I have left to get platinum is a hidden trophy and beat 10 times through the pitwall.

Any help on the hidden trophy?

And on the Pitwall challenge every challenge on the pitwall has a time that is like 10 seconds better than me, sometimes 20 seconds (are the cheating?). Is there a way to reset the pitwall with realistic times? I have played the game over and over to get to under 40 minutes and can barely beat my own times now. :(

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Are you kidding? Simplest cheesy writing. Felt like first draft stuff. A string of "that's what she said" jokes? Chase and the Joe Pesci wannabe were awfully overdone. How many times did DRAKE say, "Really?" Answer: A lot, but not as many times as me. Too many "jokes" and not enough drama to make me care about anybody :/ Gameplay was more repetitious than any other game in the series and it felt way too long. Overstayed it's welcome for sure. Whoever said "straight to DVD version" was spot on.

No. Not kidding. Thought it was great stuff. I preferred it over the gameplay at times. I honestly can't think of a better series with regards to voice acting and dialog.

Footos22

Alright someone please help! I feel like I have painted myself in a corner on Motorstorm RC. The only trophies I have left to get platinum is a hidden trophy and beat 10 times through the pitwall.

Any help on the hidden trophy?

And on the Pitwall challenge every challenge on the pitwall has a time that is like 10 seconds better than me, sometimes 20 seconds (are the cheating?). Is there a way to reset the pitwall with realistic times? I have played the game over and over to get to under 40 minutes and can barely beat my own times now. :(

Hidden trophy is either score a basket in both basketball hoops or unlock hidden cars I think.
For the latter its quicker to just score 20 goals in the playground

For the pitwall you can press triangle i think it may be to view that persons profile and it will give a load more times to beat not just the main ones shown on the wall

Hidden trophy is either score a basket in both basketball hoops or unlock hidden cars I think.
For the latter its quicker to just score 20 goals in the playground

For the pitwall you can press triangle i think it may be to view that persons profile and it will give a load more times to beat not just the main ones shown on the wall

I can only press triangle on my friends and it only shows 2 friends even yhough i know oyhers have played the game. Also all the times posted by my friends I have a better time than.

Maedhros

a083.jpg

The Faroe Islands...

That's not too expensive, compared to Brazil prices.

ShinNL

I've been wondering. What are the chances for a slim model Vita to be released? If certain types of games are released for the Vita that I hope for (which should be possible, like loot RPGs or WRPGs), I would like to have it. But it seems I'm like one of the few who can't stand how the Vita looks. It's the same with the original fat Nintendo DS. I wanted the device, but I told myself I wouldn't get such an awful looking device and eventually DS.lite came. I had this mindset before the original DS was released. I waited and waited and it paid off.

But unlike the DS, people don't seem to complain much about how the Vita looks. But I personally don't like it since I thought the PSP looked awesome, but the Vita looks so toy-like-shaped. The fact it's bulkier in every way kinda bugs me too (and I was a fat PSP owner).

I know it's a petty thing, but I kinda want a sexy looking handheld. I loved everything about the PSP's design, I dislike almost every difference in the Vita's design.

It's easy to not want a Vita for me now, since there aren't any games that I want yet. But man, it will be bothersome if they're gonna stick with this design forever and then the games I'm hoping for are released.

To solve my problem is either to:

1. Wish there will be a nice slim redesign.
2. Wish the games I'm hoping for will never get released (lol!?)

There's nothing I can do, is there? I want the sexy look of the PSP back :(

Durante

Huh? I have a PSP1000 and a Vita here right next to me, and while the PSP1000 still looks nice the Vita looks even better. Most everyone seems to love the way it looks, so even if there is a redesign at some point (all the inputs don't really leave a lot of room for change) I doubt it would greatly change the shape.

I know it's a petty thing, but I kinda want a sexy looking handheld.
I don't think that's unreasonable, But IMHO the Vita is the "sexiest" handheld gaming device ever made, followed by the Go and PSP1000.

Edit: It's also not "bulkier in every way" than PSP1000. It's slimmer. Have you actually seen one in real life?

Soneet, have you actually had a chance to mess with a Vita in person? I'm a proud owner of a PSP-1000 and 3000 and I definitely don't think the Vita is bulkier than the 1000. I love the way the Vita looks as well.

As far as the redesign I wouldn't expect anything drastic. The changes in design from the DS to DS Lite were much more extreme than anything we saw with redesigned PSP's, wouldn't you say? There just isn't much precedent for it. I'm sure it will be thinner though, so at least that issue will be solved for you.

Seriously though, try to get your hands on one and spend some time with it if you haven't already. It might change your mind.

areal

Anyone have MGS:pW? How does it look on the Vita? And what's the gameplay like compared to the rest of the series?
It's looks great on the Vita, but don't expect a game like MGS1-4. The missions are quite short, confined to small areas, and extremely easy. The bosses are boring grinds with zero personality. The story starts out well but it quickly gets bogged down. The presentation, music, cutscenes, etc. are good.

test_account

XP-39C²
Huh? I have a PSP1000 and a Vita here right next to me, and while the PSP1000 still looks nice the Vita looks even better. Most everyone seems to love the way it looks, so even if there is a redesign at some point (all the inputs don't really leave a lot of room for change) I doubt it would greatly change the shape.
Yep, a potential redesign wont be much different due to the controller inputs indeed. A redesign might be a few millimeter slimer, but that is pretty much it as far as i can see.

Wazzim

Banned
I've been wondering. What are the chances for a slim model Vita to be released? If certain types of games are released for the Vita that I hope for (which should be possible, like loot RPGs or WRPGs), I would like to have it. But it seems I'm like one of the few who can't stand how the Vita looks. It's the same with the original fat Nintendo DS. I wanted the device, but I told myself I wouldn't get such an awful looking device and eventually DS.lite came. I had this mindset before the original DS was released. I waited and waited and it paid off.

But unlike the DS, people don't seem to complain much about how the Vita looks. But I personally don't like it since I thought the PSP looked awesome, but the Vita looks so toy-like-shaped. The fact it's bulkier in every way kinda bugs me too (and I was a fat PSP owner).

I know it's a petty thing, but I kinda want a sexy looking handheld. I loved everything about the PSP's design, I dislike almost every difference in the Vita's design.

It's easy to not want a Vita for me now, since there aren't any games that I want yet. But man, it will be bothersome if they're gonna stick with this design forever and then the games I'm hoping for are released.

Have you ever seen the PSP next to a Vita? My PSP looks extremely ugly compared to the Vita, the PSP is so square-ish.

Maedhros

Not so soon. Neither that much slimmer than what already is.

You'll probably end dissapointed.

ShinNL

DSC03038-620x.jpg

Yeah, it isn't bulkier than PSP-1000. I haven't seen the Vita in real life yet. I guess it's just the design that makes it looks chubby.

I guess it's the strip that bugs me, where the PSP-1000 used it to make it look slimmer than it actually is (also by rounding the sides to transition to the strip), whereas the Vita is just flat.

I'm not sure if seeing it in real life will change my opinion much on the design though, since every other device I've seen in real life after researching online first doesn't really change my mind on how it looks like.

I doubt that if a redesign comes it will be slimmer considering I misjudged the slimness now. But man, the shape. I know it has to be different than the PSP because it's a new product line, but heck does it bug me. If it had the exact same shape as the PSP, I would've bought it for the tech alone probably if I could find a good deal.

The only hope I have is that Sony pulls a PSP-Go like transformation, since that one has a smaller screen, focusing more on portability. Which is funny, I don't really need portability because I play at home for 99% of the time, but I like tiny devices like the GB SP, GB Micro. All my phones are small (Xperia Mini, Xperia Ray) as well. But like, I consider the Xperia Mini Pro a fat chubby device, whereas my non-keyboard version I consider tiny, even though they're both much smaller than regular phones. Probably a ratio thingy then.

Now that I know it's almost as slim as the PSP-2000+, there's even a smaller chance for a redesign. PSP slim was made for the slimness, there's no reason for Sony to redesign the Vita for niche people like me who simply doesn't likes the shape :|

Damn :|

It's really kinda annoying for me that it bugs me so much.

Have you ever seen the PSP next to a Vita? My PSP looks extremely ugly compared to the Vita, the PSP is so square-ish.
I actually looked the square-ish effect, even though it's a partial oval. I don't like PSP-Go's shape for example, especially when it's opened when you have 2 rounded edges next to each other, resembling a butt shape. Maybe I'm just too much of a PSP design fan.

Edit: I think the biggest difference to my eye is that PSP has a wide look, whereas the Vita looks 'bubbly' (not including the actual screen bubbles). I also like the shit ton of buttons beneath the screen on the PSP, haha.

[/IMG]http://www.2d-x.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/psp-comparison.jpg[/IMG]

define 'sexy'...
PSP: Dat shape :D
Vita: Why did they change dat shape :(!?

Wazzim

Banned
Vita looks ugly in those 3D renders, here is a shot I took to compare the thickness: *deleted*

Edit: ah crap, beaten :/
Edit2: figured out that it wasn't so smart to show my serial just like that

I liked the shinobido 2 demo. I generally like all of Spike's output(come on, new Kenka Bancho).

How long is it? Might wait on a sale.
I was updating Near when I got to work this a.m. and was excited to see it announce I had "found a new game!" When I checked to see what that was, it was Shinobido 2! I've had this system since Feb. 15, and it took me a month of Near updates and contact with hundreds of fellow Vita users to finally find someone playing that game... lol

Chris_C

I still have a PSP 1000, arguably the sexiest of the PSP revisions. It looks like a damn toy next to the Vita.

Played the Wipeout demo last night and by God that game is gorgeous. I can't handle Wipeout though, little too extreme for me, picked up ModNation as I figured there'd be a ton of good PS3 tracks to download. It looks decent, but I wish the lighting was as nice as the PS3 version.

Prozel

and yes we have great undisturbed nature..

976932305_c5c22b40f8.jpg

but because we are only around 50.000 inhabitants in this country, the cost of living is pretty high..

I'll sell mine for 2500 DKK + 32GB card, without shipping. I'm from Denmark aswell.

No. Not kidding. Thought it was great stuff. I preferred it over the gameplay at times. I honestly can't think of a better series with regards to voice acting and dialog.
The Blood Omen / Legacy of Kain series has always been pretty solid in this area. I will give Uncharted props, but only for Elena.

I don't think that's unreasonable, But IMHO the Vita is the "sexiest" handheld gaming device ever made, followed by the Go and PSP1000.

Edit: It's also not "bulkier in every way" than PSP1000. It's slimmer. Have you actually seen one in real life?
Soneet, have you actually had a chance to mess with a Vita in person? I'm a proud owner of a PSP-1000 and 3000 and I definitely don't think the Vita is bulkier than the 1000. I love the way the Vita looks as well.

As far as the redesign I wouldn't expect anything drastic. The changes in design from the DS to DS Lite were much more extreme than anything we saw with redesigned PSP's, wouldn't you say? There just isn't much precedent for it. I'm sure it will be thinner though, so at least that issue will be solved for you.

Seriously though, try to get your hands on one and spend some time with it if you haven't already. It might change your mind.

Um, the PSPgo was a pretty radical redesign... and I could totally understand wanting to see a PSPgo-style redesign for the Vita someday - maybe go down to a 3.8" screen with the same resolution, and tuck everything into a more portable, slider-type body (I love my PSPgo, though, so I'm biased!) - but when you start saying you want a Vita that looks like a PSP I gotta wonder what you're talking about - if it looked any more like the PSP, it would be a PSP. It's like the difference between the 3DS and the DSi; to the casual observer, they're one and the same thing... Only in the case of the Vita/PSP, the Vita's actually an evolutionary improvement on the PSP's form factor in just about every way (ergonomics, aesthetics, quality), while it would be harder to argue that of the 3DS/DSi.

Wonko_C

I still have a PSP 1000, arguably the sexiest of the PSP revisions. It looks like a damn toy next to the Vita.

Played the Wipeout demo last night and by God that game is gorgeous. I can't handle Wipeout though, little too extreme for me, picked up ModNation as I figured there'd be a ton of good PS3 tracks to download. It looks decent, but I wish the lighting was as nice as the PS3 version.

Weird thing with modnation and wipeout: I found MNR infuriating since the CPU racers throw every cheap trick they can at you. There are only 2 possible outcomes at the end of the races: 1st place or last place, and don't get me started on the glitches and the framerate. I finished the 5 cups and I'm not going to bother with unlocking the bonus one, I've had enough.

On the other side I can elite pass almost every other event on my first try in 2048. Daaamn I was just 2 zones short of getting the 65 zones trophy on Sol.

It's looks great on the Vita, but don't expect a game like MGS1-4. The missions are quite short, confined to small areas, and extremely easy. The bosses are boring grinds with zero personality. The story starts out well but it quickly gets bogged down. The presentation, music, cutscenes, etc. are good.
uh ya... not S Ranking all of these, are you...

I found Peace Walker more challenging in many ways than the console Metal Gear Solid games, at least if you were trying to 100% it... (I sank 160+ hours into that game)

Bumhead

Banned
I'm playing Peace Walker on my Vita at the moment. I have no frame of reference, having never played it on PSP, but it looks incredible to me. Its only when I boot up a Vita game straight after that it feels like a previous gen game. I still get a "holy shit, MGS on a handheld!" vibe from the game even though its old and on a previous gen console, heh..

It feels like a better game than MGS4 to me. There's certainly more gameplay, even though that gameplay is broken into smaller chunks. Which, along with the micro-management and R&D etc, feels like a perfect fit for handheld play, without making the core game feel any less story driven or immersive.

I absolutely love it. I imagine the second stick is a huge bonus for anyone who played it on PSP, too.

I'm desperate for Kojima to announce he's doing something similar for the Vita. Peace Walker 2 would be really great.

As a side note, im also playing Chinatown Wars on my Vita. I previously attempted to play it on DS, PSP and iPad, but the Vita feels like the "best" way to play that game to me. Again, it looks superb on the Vita screen.

Really impressed with the Vitas backwards comparability. That's going to be a big feature for me in this first 12-18 months I think.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I changed my mind and decided ridge racer vita is crap. That is because ridge racer for psp is on PSN and is much better. Only just got round to playing it today and it feels faster, smoother, has more game structure and better tracks (and lots more of them)

If you're on the fence about RR vita because you like ridge racer, do yourself a favour and buy the psp version.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
So I changed my mind and decided ridge racer vita is crap. That is because ridge racer for psp is on PSN and is much better. Only just got round to playing it today and it feels faster, smoother, has more game structure and better tracks (and lots more of them)

If you're on the fence about RR vita because you like ridge racer, do yourself a favour and buy the psp version.

I disagree. I feel RR PSP is the same experience I can get on RR7 and RR6 but without online racing which is precisely what some of us want. If you aren't into online racing, then yes, don't get the Vita version. But not being into online racing does not make the Vita version bad.

Gravijah

plus plus plus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUKuo0nUc_0

yessss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom