• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

snap0212

I'm trying SO HARD not to get FIFA Soccer and Unit 13 right now. I still haven't finished Rayman, Golden Abyss and Tales from Space.
Same here. I definitely want to avoid any kind of backlog and I'm already failing. I made sure to not buy any retail game at launch but then I went ahead and got Hustle Kings (for free), Super Stardust Delta, Mutant Blobs attack and Plants vs. Zombies. Then there's also Corpse Party which I still have to play.

First world problems, I know. Still bothers me.

AwRy108

Yeah so the juggling carts thing is getting pretty annoying, especially coming from a big iOS gamer. May be going dd sooner than I had planned.

Le sigh.

Yeah, but if you go completely DD, there are just as many hassles: no resale value; Memory Sticks are expensive; and, ultimately, you'll just have to start juggling content off your PS3/PC/Mac, which is more time consuming than swapping carts.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
finally got a good deal on Uncharted and it arrived today. Never bought this many quality titles at a system launch before ever:
L3jlb.jpg

(Ninja Gaiden is rented though. Just wanted to indulge the novelty of playing it on a portable)

Uncharted and Lumines are now mine for a bargain £53.91 :D
Lumines is only £24.95 at thehut, even though I don't like using them, plus I used a handy 10% off in my email, yay.

{snip}

Edit: I forgot - and Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions :]
This really needs to be played on a PSP running CFW so you can use the no-stretch and no-slowdown patches on it. I've got it loaded on my PSPgo with these patches and the improvement is so dramatic that I think I'll actually finish playing the game this time!

Does anybody know if the SNK PSP games are Vita compatible?
I've got the Metal Slug Anthology on my Vita now... I haven't tried the others but can't see any reason why they wouldn't work...

If you mean the individual titles sold on PSN for $5.99 or whatever, I've seen them in the Vita PSN store, but haven't bought any because I have all the anthologies...

SmokyDave

Yeah, but if you go completely DD, there are just as many hassles: no resale value; Memory Sticks are expensive; and, ultimately, you'll just have to start juggling content off your PS3/PC/Mac, which is more time consuming than swapping carts.

I consider this a positive, not a negative. I'd have got impulsive and sold off much of my PSP library if they were on UMD. With DD, I had a big list of titles to drop on the Vita on day one, many of which I was ready to replay. That games list now contains a load of Vita games too and I look forward to forgetting some of these launch titles until I check my download list on the Vita 2.

Basically, I always regret selling handheld games and DD takes the choice out of my hands.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I consider this a positive, not a negative. I'd have got impulsive and sold off much of my PSP library if they were on UMD. With DD, I had a big list of titles to drop on the Vita on day one, many of which I was ready to replay. That games list now contains a load of Vita games too and I look forward to forgetting some of these launch titles until I check my download list on the Vita 2.

Basically, I always regret selling handheld games and DD takes the choice out of my hands.

Your compulsiveness and inability to control yourself should not equate to stripping the rights of consumers everywhere. That's a horrible, horrible thing to call a "positive" of DD.

With the money I saved on Motorstorm RC I ended up purchasing Hustle Kings and man that game is slick. Graphics are absurdly crisp and it's choked full of content. I really enjoy having multiple asychronous game going that I can play at my leisure. It's a very underrated game. $10 well spent.

Chris_C

Does anyone know if the Unit 13 full game crashes the Vita as much as the demo does? It locked up so bad once when the system rebooted all my icons were in the wrong place :p

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Does anyone know if the Unit 13 full game crashes the Vita as much as the demo does? It locked up so bad once when the system rebooted all my icons were in the wrong place :p

I've had no crashes yet. I'm almost certain that certain variables cause it to crash. I normally run friends and messaging at all times but with that game, I close it. It seems to be network/internet based.

SmokyDave

On the subject of battery life: fuck me, it's impressive.

Your compulsiveness and inability to control yourself should not equate to stripping the rights of consumers everywhere. That's a horrible, horrible thing to call a "positive" of DD.

Calm down chicken, I have no intention of stripping any rights from anyone, I'm just pointing out that it's a positive for me. The sky isn't actually falling in on you.

Maedhros

This really needs to be played on a PSP running CFW so you can use the no-stretch and no-slowdown patches on it. I've got it loaded on my PSPgo with these patches and the improvement is so dramatic that I think I'll actually finish playing the game this time!

I've got the Metal Slug Anthology on my Vita now... I haven't tried the others but can't see any reason why they wouldn't work...

If you mean the individual titles sold on PSN for $5.99 or whatever, I've seen them in the Vita PSN store, but haven't bought any because I have all the anthologies...

The no stretch patch isn't really necessary, I don't like seeing black bars playing my games, thank you.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The no stretch patch isn't really necessary, I don't like seeing black bars playing my games, thank you.

Also, PS Vita seems to improve performance of PSP games (no, it does not make 30 FPS games run at 60 FPS, but it seems to help keeping them running at a constant FPS).

theBishop

Banned

I've never had that icon problem, but I have had to reboot a few times. And sometimes, the audio doesn't work.

DrBo42

Can someone go into the Lumines demo and see if you have black pixels showing during the loading screens? My screen might be fucked.

Raine

The PS Store recognized that I bought Unit 13 (retail) and let me rate it. I guess because I activated the Online Pass. Doesn't do the same for Wipeout. Hmmm.

augmental

I too have a small 'cloudy' area on my Vita's OLED as well. It is a little strange but I don't notice unless I really look. It kind of looks like a small finger smudge in a way. No dead pixels though!! That is what had me worried.

Also, I tried to put on the official screen filter but it kept getting bubbles and this pissed me off after trying about 4 times so I gave up. I might try the HORI if Amazon ever gets them again.

Has anyone tried the front/back HORI screen filter? Got bubbles?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I feel the Vita has shattered all previous system launches for me. I haven't felt this connected to a system's DNA ever.

With regards to digital versus carts, I feel a bit torn. I chose to buy carts primarily because of the great deals at launch, expense of the memory cards, and having the option to sell in the future. However, I am not thrilled with how patches for games may consume my 8GB card far sooner than I expected thus forcing me to either buy a bigger card or get accustomed to using content manager more. This in turn may essentially drive me to digital. I completely understand not allowing installs of cart based games, but at this stage, I would consider paying a small fee to Sony to allow me the option of installing the 10 games I own on carts.

frequency

I too have a small 'cloudy' area on my Vita's OLED as well. It is a little strange but I don't notice unless I really look. It kind of looks like a small finger smudge in a way. No dead pixels though!! That is what had me worried.

Also, I tried to put on the official screen filter but it kept getting bubbles and this pissed me off after trying about 4 times so I gave up. I might try the HORI if Amazon ever gets them again.

Has anyone tried the front/back HORI screen filter? Got bubbles?

Bubbles have nothing to do with the screen protector quality or style.

Air bubbles will happen. You can push them out. If you can't, then dust is caught under it - and no screen protector can magically make dust go away. There are methods to help make sure you get a dust-free application.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I must say that the Vita's OS is, by far, my favorite OS on any system. I absolutely love it.

I can't believe so many people were complaining about it before release.

cjdunn

Thrustmaster V.I.P. case in stock at Amazon (U.S.) $24.99. I finally got a shipping date.

Edit: Wait, it's from Beach Audio via Amazon. :/

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Running in and out of a dynamic light source area on Uncharted Golden Abyss for the first time: WHAT DEVILRY IS THIS.

Diagonal aiming right out of the box as well! Bend does what Naughty Dogn't.

Snowballo

For you guys that play Hustle Kings

Is there a way to disable the real touch screen that is used to zoom in/out during the game?
Thanks.

Ball_Blog_02.jpg

Cookie18

Traded in Fifa yesterday. It was becoming very frustrating and boring. I bought F1 2011 with the credit and although it is very good so far I can see myself trading it in as well. It doesn't seem like it will have much replay value once I get the platinum. I am really glad I didn't get the digital version of F1 2011 which I was very close to doing.

Number45

I am really glad I didn't get the digital version of F1 2011 which I was very close to doing.
This is one of the things that scares me the most about the possibility of going DD only. I've been lucky so far (EG and Wipeout are both great and will last forever), but I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I DD'd a game that I really didn't like (I did this with Red Faction Guerilla on PSN, even though I think I paid no more than £7 for it). :/

Cookie18

This is one of the things that scares me the most about the possibility of going DD only. I've been lucky so far (EG and Wipeout are both great and will last forever), but I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I DD'd a game that I really didn't like (I did this with Red Faction Guerilla on PSN, even though I think I paid no more than £7 for it). :/

That's how I feel as well. If everything had a demo it'd probably be fine but with the price difference being nearly £10 for some games it's pretty tempting to buy digital copies regardless.

This is why we need more demos in the online store. The Unit 13 demo sold me on the full game. I really want to try MLB 12 before I buy it, so I had to rent that instead. More demos, Sony!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom