• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems Vita has Sony's floating touch technology, although, not as effective as the one in their latest phone.

Jfrjal.jpg

I got to play with it yesterday and the hardware really is sexy. But I was most impressed with the build quality. I was expecting something cheap feeling like the psp but the vita was really sturdy feeling. Screen seemed just as responsive as my iphone. But it isn't as comfortable as a dual shock.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
m8Trr.jpg

I am glad I saved this for a few weeks after launch. The impression it is making is like a second volley of amazing. Full Uncharted on a handheld. What is this I don't even. If they do a sequel and get up to native res, the world must take notice. THE WORLD.

Ken

why would you care? it is getting a review score of 3.....
A low score doesn't mean it's not a fun game, and not everyone cares about review scores anyways.

I would have missed out on a ton of great games this generation if my purchasing decisions were based solely on what it got on IGN.

KalBalboa

Banned
m8Trr.jpg

I am glad I saved this for a few weeks after launch. The impression it is making is like a second volley of amazing. Full Uncharted on a handheld. What is this I don't even. If they do a sequel and get up to native res, the world must take notice. THE WORLD.
Did you play both God of War Ganges on the PSP? Ghost of Sparta was surprisingly better looking than Chains of Olympus.

Ken

It's a general consensus that it's a terrible game. Even if you say "read the contents", the contents say that the game is terrible.
I recall reading that people in the RR Vita OT still enjoy the gameplay, despite the lack of content.

If it's something you know you'll enjoy playing, then a score of 3 shouldn't stop you from checking it out. Telling people curious about the game not to care about it because it got a 3 from IGN is silly.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Did you play both God of War Ganges on the PSP? Ghost of Sparta was surprisingly better looking than Chains of Olympus.

definitely a similar situation. Had a damn good time with GOW:GoS gameplay and story wise compared to the purely visual spectacle and little else of GOW3. Kinda wish I'd bought it digitally back then so I could see what it looks like on Vita.

I recall reading that people in the RR Vita OT still enjoy the gameplay, despite the lack of content.

If it's something you kniw you'll enjoy playing, then a score of 3 shouldn't stop you from checking it out.

Umm I'm not going to play it because I think all Ridge Racer games are bad.

I have to pay money to play a game and develop an opinion.
I'd rather take the Metacritic score at face value and sleep easy at night knowing I'm not making a mistake. ;)
Oh my goodness yes... Heaven forbid we should make a mistake!!!

I disagree. It plays wonderfully and despite its thin amount of cars and tracks, the online racing is incredible!
Good enough for me! I'm buying it!
but I'm a Ridge Racer whore from the before times

frequency

Metacritic is the truth.
It gives you the right to criticize other people's buying decisions for games you never played and know nothing about.

Bleh reviews

I'll go back to enjoying my 4/10 games now.

RoylAsult

dont get it, i got it from amazon and then returned it. There is no content at all. all you do is pick a track and a car and race. you earn credits to get a faster car but its takes forever, Playing online when you first get it is pointless as well since there is no even match play. You race people with faster cars so you have no chance of catching up to them unless you play a lot of the same track over and over again against the computer to get a faster car. There is no career, no arcade, no nothing. its a pointless game.

It was a fun game to play, looks great, controls wonderfully... But there is nothing to do...

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I have to pay money to play a game and develop an opinion.
I'd rather take the Metacritic score at face value and sleep easy at night knowing I'm not making a mistake. ;)

If you do that, you may be safer, but if the gameplay of a game like Ridge Racer is something that appeals to you, you may miss out in this case. Ridge Racer Vita appears to be only for online racing and racing against the ghosts of your friends. However, that does not take away from the fact this game plays like a dream online and is, more importantly, a ton of fun.

As for the nothing to do complaint, I disagree. I easily found matches with people who are on my same level. Several times races were decided by a fraction. Also, if you are in a race against several cars, a higher level car may dominate, but you can still have a thrilling race for second.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
dont get it, i got it from amazon and then returned it. There is no content at all. all you do is pick a track and a car and race. you earn credits to get a faster car but its takes forever, Playing online when you first get it is pointless as well since there is no even match play. You race people with faster cars so you have no chance of catching up to them unless you play a lot of the same track over and over again against the computer to get a faster car. There is no career, no arcade, no nothing. its a pointless game.

It was a fun game to play, looks great, controls wonderfully... But there is nothing to do...

I love Ridge Racer and took a chance on it, and I'm getting rid of it (physical copy - I was suspicious.)

IMHO, it's not about the amount of content, it's that the portable concept of playing one-off races to grind experience, money, and race ghosts is executed badly.

The tech tree is padded with tons of empty/useless squares to force grinding more money than you really need to buy upgrades. The ghost system (that I am aware of) only lets you race one ghost at a time, manually selected. The performance index is tied to your level so everyone who is one level above or below you can't compete (and you can't compete with their ghosts.)

It's not the basic concept that's horrible, it's that the game was thrown together in a few months with evidently no sanity check for the execution of its mechanics or whether they work in the real world.

Its online play is excellent, but I cannot recommend the game to anyone if you don't plan on getting most of your play out of the online... and would warn you that it could be frustrating and discouraging until you get to the level cap and everyone is on an equal footing.

It's tragic because the graphics (post patch) are actually really good and the game's visual style is beautiful. It drives as well as RR7.

DenogginizerOS

I love Ridge Racer and took a chance on it, and I'm getting rid of it (physical copy - I was suspicious.)

IMHO, it's not about the amount of content, it's that the portable concept of playing one-off races to grind experience, money, and race ghosts is executed badly.

The tech tree is padded with tons of empty/useless squares to force grinding more money than you really need to buy upgrades. The ghost system (that I am aware of) only lets you race one ghost at a time, manually selected. The performance index is tied to your level so everyone who is one level above or below you can't compete (and you can't compete with their ghosts.)

It's not the basic concept that's horrible, it's that the game was thrown together in a few months with evidently no sanity check for the execution of its mechanics or whether they work in the real world.

Its online play is excellent, but I cannot recommend the game to anyone if you don't plan on getting most of your play out of the online... and would warn you that it could be frustrating and discouraging until you get to the level cap and everyone is on an equal footing.

It's tragic because the graphics (post patch) are actually really good and the game's visual style is beautiful. It drives as well as RR7.

While I see your point, I actually couldn't care less about the upgrade system. It serves a purpose in that it gives you some options to upgrade your car, but in the end, the real point of Ridge Racer is the thrill of racing. I personally would rather have as few upgrades as possible and just have races with people on the same footing (Nitrous Free Races are fantastic). Ridge Racer has always been about driving excitement, and in that area, this game is definitely on the mark.

Then why care about what the general consensus think of it and why try to spread the notion that "the game is terrible" based on contents of a review for a franchise you don't care for?

Because the Ridge Racer franchise has been going downhill since the PS1 days and the reviews has always shared what I think.

Would you recommend Dungeon Hunter Alliance to people? As it is a ripoff like Ridge Racer.

Ken

Because the Ridge Racer franchise has been going downhill since the PS1 days and the reviews has always shared what I think.

Would you recommend Dungeon Hunter Alliance to people? As it is a ripoff like Ridge Racer.
If they still want DHA on the Vita for whatever reason even after being exposed to better and cheaper dungeon crawler alternates, I won't stop them. If DHA has some sort of appeal to them over stuff like Torchlight or Diablo, then said person fills some strange but existent niche market and if they have fun with the game then so be it; I won't go around GameStop ripping copies of DHA and RR out of people's hands.

You could recommend other RR titles closer to its peak of glory but if RR Vita is what they want, despite knowing the caveats, then let them get it if they'll have fun with it.

Anyways, don't want to derail the thread anymore so that's that.

DenogginizerOS

Is Uncharted: GA, a finite single player experience a rip-off at $50? Some would say it is, but that doesn't mean that it is a bad game. The same could be said for Ridge Racer. Paying $30 (or $25) for an online racing experience that matches the best of the series past as far as how the cars and tracks drive is a great value when you consider you can race online against people all over the world on a portable device. Considering that the future success of Ridge Racer Vita is contingent on people racing it online, it has a chance to provide gameplay for months to come if people continue to support it.

gragy10

Is there a list of gaf PSN id's anywhere? Don't know anyone else who's picked it up yet.
I'm online as gragy79 and usually twatting about on Motorstorm, Wipeout, Uncharted, Lumines
Picked a Vita up at Stansted airport last week as it was a bit of a bargain - duty free in the uk = £230 for a 3g with Uncharted. Got Dixons Travel to pricematch and their 3g's come with a Vodafone sim for the Wipeout d/l code so was a bit of a bargain

therapist

First Edition Bundle owners...

Check emails. I just got one notifying me of my game code for star dust (apparently includes dlc. Didnt expect that). Code not valid until wednesday!

Hmmm nothing yet.
Id give it away since i own it already BUT i didnt buy the dlc...

How do they know you have a FEB? check when you signed in first time or the serial number or was i supposed to sign up somewhere? :S

Edit - do want nyko power grip

turnbuckle

I would suggest waiting for Nyko's power grip with battery extension and how it's received.

505.jpg

That looks kinda awkard tbh. Hope the impressions are good though, because I ended up cancelling my order on another grip after seeing more negative reviews. I don't need the grip for games where I use the dpad, but I think it'll make using the analogs a bit more comfortable for me. Right now it doesn't feel quite ideal if I play laying down while using the analogs.

Cool thanks, I'm going to assume the others are too.
I've tried all of them, they all work, but King of Fighters 96 and Baseball Stars 2 you will have to transfer from PS3. As for SNK Minis, Alpha Mission and Athena worked for me, but Bermuda Triangle, Hal 21, Marvin's Maze, POW - Prisoners of War, Prehistoric Isle, Psycho Soldier, TNK III, and Vanguard II were not recognized by Content Manager.

DenogginizerOS

I've tried all of them, they all work, but King of Fighters 96 and Baseball Stars 2 you will have to transfer from PS3. As for SNK Minis, Alpha Mission and Athena worked for me, but Bermuda Triangle, Hal 21, Marvin's Maze, POW - Prisoners of War, Prehistoric Isle, Psycho Soldier, TNK III, and Vanguard II were not recognized by Content Manager.

If you buy SNK games for PS3, does that unlock the Vita version? I have Metal Slug 1 and 2 as well as Baseball Stars 2 for PS3.

MickeyPhree

I just picked up both Escape Plan and MLB the Show.

EP is fantastic. I had no idea I would be having as much fun with it as I am. Have to wait till tomorrow to try MLB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom