• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Jamie OD

It's finally happening. As much as I told myself not to get one at launch, I'm going to try my luck when it comes out here in Europe.

So what is actually happening tomorrow? A launch event or review event or just a party or new trailers? Or should we expect madness all week?
It's a way of bribing journalists in to giving the PS4 launch games some really good scores in a closed environment, or at least subliminally influencing them with alcohol and pleasure. Very clever.
Wow. That's a launch alright. Sony's back :eek:

Can't believe I've got two weeks longer to wait than you guys :(

71RgACF8emL._SL1418_.jpg

When this arrives it'll be like being a kid at Christmas. I'm 32 and not ashamed. My fiancee probably is though :)

Nyx

Can't believe I've got two weeks longer to wait than you guys :(

When this arrives it'll be like being a kid at Christmas. I'm 32 and not ashamed. My fiancee probably is though :)

I never understand why somebody would need to feel ashamed if they look forward to something they like, regardless of age.

I'm 35 and also looking forward to the 29th, even took a day off work!

S¡mon

Banned
Yeah I'm not really looking forward to populating my friends list with the controller, not even a chatpad. Sony's on-screen keyboard input has always been terrible.
You can use your smartphone or tablet in combination with the PlayStation App for text input.

Alternatively, you can 'point' the DualShock 4 at letters/characters. (I doubt that's faster, but, hey, who knows?)

DoctorZ

S¡mon;89385241 said:
You can use your smartphone or tablet in combination with the PlayStation App for text input.

Alternatively, you can 'point' the DualShock 4 at letters/characters. (I doubt that's faster, but, hey, who knows?)

Or can't you just use a usb keyboard? Not the best, but maybe a bit faster.

Or just put your name in the various threads on here and have people add you. I've been getting plenty of requests. I was planning on going through the list when I get my PS4 and add people who have the same games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What stand are you guys getting?

Also two of those games are sort of free.

official Sony stand preordered from amazon UK - same with the charging station. Hate not being able to charge my DS3s when the PS3 is off, and hate only having front facing USB ports on the PS4, so need a separate solution for that.

Only 12 working days for me in the UK. Not counting today, then I have Thursday 14th off to go and pay off my preorder (and work out where the store is - never been there before), then the 15th off to pick up and enjoy.

Kane1345

Questions about streaming (I don't know much about it) in case anyone knows:

1. Can you only stream to other PS4 owners or do we stream to the twitch.tv website?
2. Do we have to make a twitch account and does it cost to stream?
3. Do we have control over who watches the stream (I only want my friends to see the stream who won't own PS4's till February)

Thanks

wizzbang

Banned
Sony really needs to update the Playstation website. Xbox.com is a mess, but at least it's functional. You can't even add PSN friends on the PS website.

Yep.
Should be a thread for this, there's still issues which are getting drowned out by dumb shit like 1080p stuff

Nyx

Yay, my gameshop just informed me that my normal PS4 pre-order could still be changed to the Killzone bundle.

Jomjom

Banned
I had to double check to make sure I wasn't on Amazon.de. I've never seen that type of Playstation domination on the Amazon US site.

Yeah but that's the hourly one. This close to the launch of course it's going to look like that. Days before the Xbone's release it'll be all green for sure.

DoctorZ

official Sony stand preordered from amazon UK - same with the charging station. Hate not being able to charge my DS3s when the PS3 is off, and hate only having front facing USB ports on the PS4, so need a separate solution for that.

Only 12 working days for me in the UK. Not counting today, then I have Thursday 14th off to go and pay off my preorder (and work out where the store is - never been there before), then the 15th off to pick up and enjoy.

So the official one isn't going to be out in the US by the 15th?

From the FAQ

In North America, vertical stands for PS4 will be released by partners as officially licensed program products during PS4’s launch window.

C4EMGEN

S¡mon;89385241 said:

Gyro text input is actually quite fast! Now that I'm used to it, I prefer it over the d-pad.

madmackem

Yep.
Should be a thread for this, there's still issues which are getting drowned out by dumb shit like 1080p stuff

Wait you think 1080p stuff is dumb but being able to add someone on a website isnt? the new app launches in a few days maybe you should hang fire till then.

satam55

Banned
I Haven't seen anyone post this story from Kotaku on the GAF:
A Video Showing How The PS4 Dashboard Actually Works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkz2Sy6bur0

Last week, Microsoft gave everyone a very handy tour of the Xbox One's dashboard. Sony has yet to do the same, but in this video from a PS4 event in Hong Kong, we get the gist.

You're going to want to skip to 4:45 in the video above, and while the demonstration is in both Japanese and Cantonese, it's not hard seeing what's happening.

What's useful about this is that it gives you the kind of tour you really want to see: what happens when you first turn the console on, how you sign into profiles, that kind of stuff.

http://kotaku.com/a-video-showing-how-the-ps4-dashboard-actually-works-1461954112

Also, voice command prompt on PS4's UI:
7OLGfpw.jpg

wizzbang

Banned
Wait you think 1080p stuff is dumb but being able to add someone on a website isnt? the new app launches in a few days maybe you should hang fire till then.

Wait no more, I'm here to say that you're infact correct on this fine day!
I want sweet as fuck features, yo. I couldn't care less about 1080p.

wizzbang

Banned
I Haven't seen anyone post this story from Kotaku on the GAF:

Also, voice command prompt on PS4's UI:
7OLGfpw.jpg

Awesome work finding that, it appears to not be a canned demo and it's clearly showing the UI (he even hovered over settings, sigh!) - interesting performance in parts, I sure as fuck hope it caches some shit to the disk because,......... a few things - (pulling up the knack page, loading the tiles for knack? not fast!)

EDIT: no seriously this is a good video - some interesting new shit in this, about time!
The champagne section was fucking great!

Birathen

Hope they'll show some more of what the camera can do. The lil' demo with the robots might just be the thing me and my family spend the most time with once we get the system :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Awesome work finding that, it appears to not be a canned demo and it's clearly showing the UI (he even hovered over settings, sigh!) - interesting performance in parts, I sure as fuck hope it caches some shit to the disk because,......... a few things - (pulling up the knack page, loading the tiles for knack? not fast!)

EDIT: no seriously this is a good video - some interesting new shit in this, about time!
The champagne section was fucking great!

some of that will be pulling from the internet, so difficult to cache.

Rocky

Banned
So the official one isn't going to be out in the US by the 15th?

From the FAQ

Why is Sony not selling the Official branded products in NA? I really wanted to get the DS4 charging station, but the official Sony branded one apparently isn't going to be sold here, just in EU. Can I import or will it not work in NA because of the voltage difference?

Kiyo

Questions about streaming (I don't know much about it) in case anyone knows:

1. Can you only stream to other PS4 owners or do we stream to the twitch.tv website?
2. Do we have to make a twitch account and does it cost to stream?
3. Do we have control over who watches the stream (I only want my friends to see the stream who won't own PS4's till February)

Thanks

1. You stream to Twitch.tv, anyone can go to twitch.tv and view your stream if you want.
2. Yes you have to make an account, no it doesn't cost money to stream
3. You can set your channel to private and put a password on it.

wizzbang

Banned
some of that will be pulling from the internet, so difficult to cache.

The web page yes, the metro style tiles - not so much, they were a bit too slow.

ANYHOW
That video is without a doubt the best thing I've seen on the PS4 yet.
It's fucking REAL no bullshit, no canned, no camera cuts, we get to see more of Playroom (fuck those little bastards are adorable) - we get to see the Vita and Android phone interact with the PS4, significant UI stuff (it really does look like a beefed up XMB)

Then there's a Killzone section after with some hot girl playing, the frame rate looks a tad "framey" at points - but some other cool shit happens - you see a bullet ricochet off a metal window frame and hit a ceiling, the glass smashes uniquely, you see someone use the touchpad quickly and how it works

Zero_

Loading that Knack in-game tile was kinda slow. I hope that's just the first time and every time from there it's just loading it up from a cached resource.

Kane1345

1. You stream to Twitch.tv, anyone can go to twitch.tv and view your stream if you want.
2. Yes you have to make an account, no it doesn't cost money to stream
3. You can set your channel to private and put a password on it.

Thanks, really appreciate it :)

Top Bottom