• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think EA learned their lesson and I dont think its such a big deal as it will sell enough on PC and 360 to make them happy, but I doubt we will se another major publisher going exclusive on the xbone this generation.

ohyou.jpg
They'll still get exclusives, but maybe not from EA, Activision or Ubisoft (this one is obvious). They have that money bank riding high.

So is it exactly 6 million or more than 6? I am worried for Japanese sales though. I really hope they can push 800-900K total in Japan by March with MGSV coming out... Those developers aren't going to jump if the system doesn't sell.

Hyunashi

That FFXV/KH3 promise.

Square Enix *Bows down*
But great job to Sony. I cant wait for this year to end though cos next year is shaping up to be juicy.

They'll still get exclusives, but maybe not from EA, Activision or Ubisoft (this one is obvious). They have that money bank riding high.

So is it exactly 6 million or more than 6? I am worried for Japanese sales though. I really hope they can push 800-900K total in Japan by March with MGSV coming out... Those developers aren't going to jump if the system doesn't sell.

I dunno, I hope they sell well their but there still hasn't been anything really tempting announced that is Japanese orientated save stuff we already know. And at the end of the day, the PS3 is still chugging out great games for the region. Japan will get a boost, imo, when a big game hits that caters for them more (And I doubt Ground Zeros is that since it is still cross gen).

Into

Hmmm. I wonder if revelations that Killzone multiplayer is not full HD 1080p, cancellation of exclusive, insensitive comments by David Jaffe, the lack of AF in thief, and The Order being revealed to be a sequel to Ryse impacts sales. IMO Sony should be very worried.

tumblr_ley7joPnDd1qg4z5to1_250.jpg

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Hmmm. I wonder if revelations that Killzone multiplayer is not full HD 1080p, cancellation of exclusive, insensitive comments by David Jaffe, the lack of AF in thief, and The Order being revealed to be a sequel to Ryse impacts sales. IMO Sony should be very worried.
Gamers follow the games. Because Crysis isn't big enough to have a Ryse sequel ready this year, we will see a lot of gamers jump ship to the PS4 to get the spiritual sequel.

It's all about the games.

DieH@rd

Banned
Notable games that were released up to 2 years after US/EU launch of PS2:
Twisted Metal Black
FFX
GT3 A-Spec
SilentHill 2
GTA3
Metal Gear Solid 2
Jak&Daxter
Ico
Kingdom Hearts
Tekken 4
GTA Vice City
Ratchet & Clank

PS4 has a hard road ahead. :D

Jack cw

They have money, I hear that for ages but all the moneyhatting is becoming nonsense when the system isnt moving. The TitanFall deal was done before the consoles were announced and Microsoft tries to get some third party exclusives because they lack some good first parties but when the sales continue like that, no money Micrososft offers could make up for a 100% or higher install base. All their money will be used to ditch Kinect and cut the price of the system but at the cost of profit. Its a rather bad situatation for them.

Ricky_R

Can you link me to those?

Valentus

The fact that MS stopped announcing their worldwide sales is a sign that the gap is widening.

And if after the launch of Titanfall, MS keeps hiding their sales, it'll be because things aren't getting better.

coldone

It depends on the return on investment from Titanfall. If Titanfall moves 3M consoles in March & April, MS may try to hold on to the franchise for long.

Because there isnt much else for Microsoft for the next 18 months. Sadly MS/Insomiac tie up is going to be turd. Insomiac couldn't get a decent physics or animation engine in 7 years. It is going to look ugly compared to all other big titles coming this fall.. MS should be seriously thinking about locking up Titanfall franchise.

Notable games that were released up to 2 years after US/EU launch of PS2:
Twisted Metal Black
FFX
GT3 A-Spec
SilentHill 2
GTA3
Metal Gear Solid 2
Jak&Daxter
Ico
Kingdom Hearts
Tekken 4
GTA Vice City
Ratchet & Clank

PS4 has a hard road ahead. :D

That's not even including DMC, I have absolutely no clue how developers made so many amazing games in such a short time.

Wow.

Well, I got my PS4 y'day as well in anticipation of infamous. I have to say, PS4 has no games. Resogun is nice, but otherwise it is a barren wasteland. Strange that so many million ppl are buying.

Yeah, I'm sure millions of people are absolutely wrong in comparison to your opinion.

The fact that MS stopped announcing their worldwide sales is a sign that the gap is widening.

And if after the launch of Titanfall, MS keeps hiding their sales, it'll be because things aren't getting better.

Titanfall will bump X1 sales temporarily. And we will get PR for it, I am sure.

DBT85

Great news, although it seems it didn't do as well in February as January outside of Japan. 1.1m from dec 28 - feb 8 compared to ~350k for feb 8 - mar 2. I assume this is mostly due to supply constraints but NPDs probably aren't going to be as strong this month.

1.1m is over 6 weeks, so 183,000 per week.
350k is over 3 weeks, so 116,000 per week.

If you include the Japan stock (which had to come from somewhere) it comes to 700,000 in 3 weeks, so 233,000 per week.

Also, still supply constrained WW.

Now that iit's launched everywhere, it'll be interesting to see how it does.

Applecot

It does? Thats quite a leap. Can publishers sell 2-3 million copies of their games to break even to this 6 million install base?

I don't even know how many publishers went completely exclusive on the PS4. There aren't many and even then, only the high end studios would need 2-3m sales to break even.

It depends on the return on investment from Titanfall. If Titanfall moves 3M consoles in March & April, MS may try to hold on to the franchise for long.

Because there isnt much else for Microsoft for the next 18 months. Sadly MS/Insomiac tie up is going to be turd. Insomiac couldn't get a decent physics or animation engine in 7 years. It is going to look ugly compared to all other big titles coming this fall.. MS should be seriously thinking about locking up Titanfall franchise.

One big if. That's not happening. Even MGS4 only moved a few hundred thousand units. This is an unknown ip to the general masses. Fat chance that they'll drop 560 dollars to play a game as well.

StuBurns

Banned
TF is not going to move three million consoles, people have very unrealistic expectations when it comes to that game. The fact MS slashed the price in the UK shows preorders were weak as it is.

Jack cw

I agree with your second part but Titanfall is a multiplatform title and will never generate sales that high. You dont simply buy something that has bad PR, high price, negative word of mouth and doesnt move for months because of an online only title that requires a paywall to be played.

Majanew

Banned
Can't speak for FIFA, but none of those require a PS4. Things will get great once the actual next gen games start flowing in.

They don't require a PS4, but if you don't have a capable PC, you sure don't want to play those on PS3. BF4 on 360/PS3 is all kinds of ew.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member

3mill in 2 months!!! if they do that I'll buy one & give it away lol

This is fantastic news for Sony. A huge install base this early in the cycle means developers and publishers are going to release their games as soon as possible. People want games and now is the perfect window to release them.

DBT85

What happens to GAF if PS4 outsells XB1 in march NPD?

I don't think it will, just speculating ;)

Infamous + MGS. It's more than possible.

And whatever happens, we'll talk endlessly about how it changes things, or doesn't, what each side is thinking etc.

Some will get banned. Whichever way it goes.

It would be nice to get an update on their sales to get an idea of what is going on exactly. It may not be as bad as we think but bad from a PR perspective.

Jigolo

It's going to be 7 million by March 31st if their actual stock allows it.

Infamous should push put some consoles and MGS should too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom