• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

Erimriv

So who's gonna win the specs race this time, Sony or MS (Nx???). And two months for E3, exciting weeks ahead.

I'll probably pass on either and get a decent PC though.

GPU twice as powerful as the OG PS4? Yeah, this is going to upset a lot of people and will split the user-base.

People who bought the PS4 already are getting screwed over.

I'm definitely done with buying consoles early into their existence. I'll wait until they're older and the exclusive games are cheap so I don't get punished for buying early-on. I'm putting that next $400-$500 towards a gaming PC instead.

Bladelaw

Awaiting more information.

There better be a trade in program. I'm hoping it won't be Game Stop level either. In my dream world the cost of a PS4K with OG PS4 trade in should be

PS4K cost - Current PS4 cost = How much a PS4K will cost me.

So if the PS4K = $500 and the PS4 = $300 then I would pay $200 + PS4 for my PS4K

I would be massively surprised if that happens but I'd jump on board.

Gator86

Holy fuck. Didn't expect all this, especially so soon. I'm probably in on day 1. I was originally against this but I've had my PS4 since launch and have gotten a ton of value out of it already. Tue disposable income of a post grad school job makes this a lot more appealing. I have no clue what this means for console gaming though
It's definitely an incredibly weird time for the industry.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I have to eat some crow on this if this info is accurate. I really thought the only difference would be how the console handled 4k output with maybe some minor other minor tweaks. Games being made for the PS4k and then pared back for the PS4 is the opposite of how I expected this to work and is definitely not the ideal situation I thought this would take. "Considerable sacrifices to performance" could mean a lot of things. Image quality and some effects would be a much easier pill to swallow.

KingBroly

Banned
Yeah me too

An upgraded CPU feels like something Sony would intentionally hold for PS4K.2 or something to keep the price down, despite the CPU being a major bottleneck for PS4/XBO right now.

But considering how Sony handled the PSP Go in terms of digital upgrades for games...I'm not surprised at all.

Mindman

Day 1. Anyone with a regular PS4 will just get these games with PS4 level performance is all. As if the PS4K never was an option.

People can stay where they are if they want, and people can upgrade if they want, and play the same games.

Win/win.

I don't like this trend but it seems that every console manufacturer is embracing it...

As a PS4 owner i'm a little worried about the performance of the games compatible with both versions since devs will have to put some extra effort to optimize the code for the lesser one.

jett

D-Member
I was considering getting a PS4 for Unchwarted 4, but that can definitely wait now.

I have a really hard time believing this

As accurate and true as the old mentions of the PS4 being a "supercharged gaming PC", probably. Who knows what metric they're using, if any.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Wording is everything.

considerable sacrifices made to performance.

Could just as easily be expressed with:

Considerable improvements for PS4K.

This is why this leak could damage Sony. It's not a 'downgrade' for the PS4 games, they'll be at the level they've always been, it's an 'upgrade' for PS4K owners.

qiLjBKV.gif

It's amazing how much "fuck Sony!!!" and "typical Sony!!!" and "arrogant Sony is back!!!" comments there are when Microsoft has already pretty much confirmed they are doing the same thing.

Brofield

Jesus...I sure as hell don't want to trade in my Darth Vader PS4 given how much I spent on it.

So help me if Horizon: Zero Dawn runs like molasses on my ogPS4 I'm gonna be so cheesed

Jonnax

The way I see it. What may happen is that the PS5 may have backwards compatibility with the PS4.5 then drop PS4 support.

Kinda giving you two 'generations' worth of gaming.

Similar to mobile phone contracts being 2 years whilst phone release cycles are yearly.

prag16

Banned
The upside is that if baselines devs are targeting are higher, PC gaming will benefit.

The downside is that if true, the PS4 will probably be my last non-Nintendo console. I mean, why buy a console... it feels somewhat like a bait and switch of sorts. I'll miss out on a couple great PS exclusives per year, but I can deal with that. I'll always have plenty to play on PC (and/or Nintendo consoles).

yuraya

499 sounds too cheap for a gpu 2x as powerful as vanilla ps4. And a new cpu...nah. I think it will be more like 599 and even with that Sony will be eating 50-100$. But they probably won't mind since its gonna decrease in only months time.

rambis

Banned
True, but it does sound like the games on the OG PS4 are going to take quite the hit from what the OP says.
No. They will play at the PS4s level the same way they would if a stronger console didn't launch. People really need to understand this. They are only sacrifices made for games that play at levels beyond what the PS4 can do. This should be obvious though.

Kayant

Hmmm two times as powerful doesn't sound like enough room for many natively 4K gaming.

It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.
I guess framerate increases depending on the game, less post-processing effects, AA etc. Doesn't sound too bad outside the possible framerate increase.

GreyWind

I think this will be just like the new phones, every year there is a new one with fancy new specs. Except for consoles it might be 3 years for a new model with better specs gets introduced?

I bought a PS4 on launch. I helped make it the best selling console this generation. If Sony does want to half the console cycle then they better make some concessions for this first time round. Let us trade in our current PS4s and only need to spend $100-$150 out of pocket for the PS4K.

The best trade in now for a PS4 is around $180.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Deep Down reveal video to become a reality!

I, for one, welcome our iterative console future.

Wording is everything.

considerable sacrifices made to performance.

Could just as easily be expressed with:

Considerable improvements for PS4K.

This is why this leak could damage Sony. It's not a 'downgrade' for the PS4 games, they'll be at the level they've always been, it's an 'upgrade' for PS4K owners.

GOW IV is apparently made with the new PS version in mind...WTF?

Verified OP or not, this would be a huge shake up and I have a hard time believing it until it's officially announced. A console released halfway through the current gen with that significant of an upgrade, featuring games that'll run on the OG hardware but with "significant" concessions? That just feels like a bad idea to me, and an odd move for Sony given the runaway success of the PS4.

omonimo

Banned
Related info from a meeting we had yesterday was waiting for it to be approved before posting.

Price is currently $399.99 they were discussing a better CPU which would raise the price to $499.99 we were guaranteed the price will be no higher than $499.99 (He mentioned the CPU upgrade quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec could be a pricing issue.) also there is currently no plan for any type of trade in program for current PS4 users but that could change.

They stated that the GPU is twice as powerful as standard PS4 and much faster. They did not say exactly how fast but that is was running at a higher clock speed while being much smaller than the original.

It will have a 4k blu ray player and will upscale games that are not natively 4k.

Also there was talk of some sort of VR lounge for the media player app which is supposed to be getting a substantial upgrade.

It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

It was also made very clear that current games would not be getting any type of performance upgrades by being played on the system and any benefits to older games would come via patch per game and per developer. When asked if this was going to happen the response was "Its a possibility but doubtful with the exception of a handful of games."
We were also given a list of games that will be available at launch that will directly take advantage of the PS4K where the differences are and I will quote him "Significant."

For the PSVR

Eve Valkyrie
Robinson
GT Sport

For the PS4K

Deep Down (Thought this was dead)
GOW4 (This was the exact abbreviation on the sheet I can only assume its god of war 4)

There were more games on the list but these are the ones that stood out to me.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head I'll see if I can get any more information.
God I hope the smell of 1 April it's true because this is an asshole move. Can't believe that shit.

Top Bottom