• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN (Vita/PSP/PS4/PS3) Downloads Thread Z | January 2014 | The Legendary Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimPanzer

So I am really thinking of getting MGS Snake Eater HD for Vita. I have never played the game, do you all think that the Vita would be a good way to experience this game first? Or should I go after a HD collection for the PS3?

played MGS2 and 3 for the first time on the vita, can't see how the experience could increase on the PS3, magnificient port IMO.

Chopper

Then, following your logic, merge PlayStation and Microsoft thread, because maybe I'll find info "that I might not have gotten or needed" because I don't have one of that consoles and I "can still get one".

Your defense of this stupid decition is pointless...
Pretty sure he was being funny.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Well, here I am, a refugee from kassatsu's ongoing series of store threads.

Let's get this party started!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
my petition thread was immediately locked, but at least we know the mods are looking into this:

Powered by ModBot
Please submit feedback in as PMs or in the PSN thread itself. We're reading and will actively evaluate how this goes over, I promise. Just try to bear with us and see how this goes first for at least a few days here before getting up in arms.

VanWinkle

No, as in a new, designed-from-the-ground-up PlayStation General thread. It is, after all, what the mods want this thread to be.

Ah, well, it will be a monthly thing anyways so this is just the first month. If they keep it going, it will be more properly formatted and fleshed out for February.

Were separate threads that much of a problem? Had no idea.

Well, PS3/PS4 gaf will take one side of the room, and Vitagaf can have the other. Lets meet up for christmas and new years.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm half tempted to work on an new thread
I realize this will probably sound insane, but part of the idea here is to actually generate more threads in general.

As people find more common ground, they're more likely to realize they have a large enough group to actually go have a standard discussion thread on more things, and this will thread itself will be big enough that they will think doing so is preferable.

We've had a fair amount of success in the past trying things like this, so we think it's worth a shot.

If the whole thing works like absolute shit we're obviously not going to leave it in shambles, but I ask that people bear with us and give it a go.

Well, PS3/PS4 gaf will take one side of the room, and Vitagaf can have the other. Lets meet up for christmas and new years.

Well there are quite a few posters who seemed to think that all PS4/PS3 gamers are murderous evil people who want to crush the Vita, so the secondary goal is also to not generate that kind of perspective by including a wider swath of people.

We had similar issues with things like the Wii U speculation thread whereas Nintendo Downloads seems to be going great.

SmokyDave

I'm not sure I dig all the complaints about the thread changing, particularly the ones that suggest you can't have a decent discussion about the Vita outside of this thread.

Makes us Vita owners sound like thin-skinned wusses that need a special corner in the playground to stop us from being bullied. Fuck that.

Maedhros

my petition thread was immediately locked, but at least we know the mods are looking into this:

It was a completely useless topic. We already knew mods were looking at this thread and that their decision is final for now, even if we don't agree. There was no need to create another post.

Funny how it's suddenly such a terrible thing to have weekly threads about PSN content updates, but it's okay to have weekly threads about whatever random podcast people are trying to promote.

What if we own a PS4 AND A Vita? Can I drink punch from both sides of the party?

Also, is there a timeline for releases and such or is it month to month we find out? I'm a recent PS+ subscriber so unsure how far in advance they let you know what's coming down the pipes (outside of delayed stuff like HASHTAGDRIVECLUB)

Hasney

Funny how it's suddenly such a terrible thing to have weekly threads about PSN content updates, but it's okay to have weekly threads about whatever random podcast people are trying to promote.

I think this one is just the experiment. Fighting Games Weekly and random podcasts are probably on notice if this works.

VanWinkle

I'm not sure I dig all the complaints about the thread changing, particularly the ones that suggest you can't have a decent discussion about the Vita outside of this thread.

Makes us Vita owners sound like thin-skinned wusses that need a special corner in the playground to stop us from being bullied. Fuck that.

Yeah, I feel like some people are going a little overboard. I am sad to see the death of the Vita threads because I have been a part of them for so long, but I'm not completely resistant to change.

Gadirok

Since PSP is getting some official recognition here and I'm not picking sides between Vita, PS3 or PS4. I think its a good time to start talking about some of my favourite PSP games.

Jeanne D'arc is amazing and is a true gem. Why couldn't Level 5 make a spiritual successor?

Jeanne_d'Arc_Coverart.png

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It was a completely useless topic. We already knew mods were looking at this thread and that their decision is final for now, even if we don't agree. There was no need to create another post.

squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Since PSP is getting some official recognition here and I'm not picking sides between Vita, PS3 or PS4. I think its a good time to start talking about some of my favourite PSP games.]

just copped Dissidia 012 & Trails in the Sky. while i'm waiting for more ps4 titles to drop, i figured i'd play more PSP games.

Cheddahz

Banned
Jeanne D'arc is amazing and is a true gem. Why couldn't Level 5 make a spiritual successor?

I really hate to say this, but I think Level 's quality of game developing really went downhill when they started to develop games for the PS3 and I just think it's best they didn't make a successor to Jeanne D'arc (I've heard great things about it, just haven't played it)

ReaperXL7

I dont really care about that aspect personally, but I dont really care about sales stuff, and most Vita threads usually turn into sales threads by default.

Either way the crappiest part of this whole thing imo is that VitaGaf built a solid community of people who "enjoyed" talking about the system and its games. It could get better, or worse, but the community aspect of this thread was its best feature.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
If we assume all the post about the Vita are also post about the change, then the Vita has like a 75% share in this thread. Giving me the impression to at least, at least, try, to be contributive.

On the subject of going all digital and what to do when the servers shutdown? I'm going to rebuy all of my old games in the form of used copies at the end of the gen. And if something hits like $5 it'll be worth the dip even before then. The July thing that isn't safe is PS+ games but they self expire in accordance to their timestamps, anyway.

Black Vita backgrounds are so much fun. It feels incomplete in the best way possible. There's something bare about it.

Number45

Jeanne_d'Arc_Coverart.png
They didn't even release it in the EU. :(

I imported it, and despite really not being a fan of strategy games (FFT bored me within a few hours) I managed to complete it which was quite an accomplishment for me!

Been playing some EDF, really love having this on a portable. When PS4 gets one I'll probably get it just to remote play it
Man, I can't understand the appeal of this game. Picked it up for around £10 and still feel like I wasted my money. :/

erpg

GAF parliamentarian

Yeah, first time around, that's what it felt like (transition to monthly thread and death of the all purpose megathread). Vita was in a much worse place back then. I honestly don't see much Vita hate anymore, and whatever it is normally gets dogpilled anyway. It's time to move past setting yourselves up as victims, people.

I still don't agree with the decision and don't really understand why it's happening. Far as I can tell, we've been very good about creating new threads and moving timely discussion outside of the megathread. But maybe that's not what's desired, since the separate, weekly (timely) PlayStation Store threads are being killed off and tossed in to a new super megathread. It's a confusing direction to take.

I realize this will probably sound insane, but part of the idea here is to actually generate more threads in general.

As people find more common ground, they're more likely to realize they have a large enough group to actually go have a standard discussion thread on more things, and this will thread itself will be big enough that they will think doing so is preferable.

We've had a fair amount of success in the past trying things like this, so we think it's worth a shot.

If the whole thing works like absolute shit we're obviously not going to leave it in shambles, but I ask that people bear with us and give it a go.

Well there are quite a few posters who seemed to think that all PS4/PS3 gamers are murderous evil people who want to crush the Vita, so the secondary goal is also to not generate that kind of perspective by including a wider swath of people.

We had similar issues with things like the Wii U speculation thread whereas Nintendo Downloads seems to be going great.

But why create a megathread in the process... and you guys keep saying that it will be a monthly thread? Why not weekly.. it would prevent the commentary from going stale.

If the whole thing works like absolute shit we're obviously not going to leave it in shambles, but I ask that people bear with us and give it a go

The problem is that, in effect, you're making a PlayStation General, and any PlayStation-based general chat will go in here. I expect fewer threads after this change, not more. People will probably complain about duff DLC in here rather than making a new thread, for example. I also expect PS4 and PS3 chat to drown out the handheld chat eventually, considering they have more big games arriving and getting DLC.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Since PSP is getting some official recognition here and I'm not picking sides between Vita, PS3 or PS4. I think its a good time to start talking about some of my favourite PSP games.
My favorite PSP games make me want successors on the PSV:
  • God of War: Chains of Olympus and God of War: Ghost of Sparta -- Just imagine a God of War on the PSV...it would be glorious, especially since we'd finally have two sticks.
  • Every Extend Extra -- This was just SO good and it isn't on the PSN Store. I did make an ISO of my UMD and played it on the PSP Go... but I'd like it officially on the PSV and/or PS4.
  • Space Invaders Extreme -- I guess it's too much to ask for a decent new update?
  • Pac-man CE -- Please put this on PS4/PSV.
And that doesn't even include PSP minis...so many of those I've spent time on.

Edit: Also... any update on when Tempest is out on PSV? I take it that January is an option?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But why create a megathread in the process... and you guys keep saying that it will be a monthly thread? Why not weekly.. it would prevent the commentary from going stale.
If you guys want to increase frequency I have absolutely zero issues with that.

The problem is that, in effect, you're making a PlayStation General, and any PlayStation-based general chat will go in here. I expect fewer threads after this change, not more. People will probably complain about duff DLC in here rather than making a new thread, for example. I also expect PS4 and PS3 chat to drown out the handheld chat eventually, considering they have more big games arriving and getting DLC.
As I said, if it works like shit, we can re-evaluate.

If you guys want to increase frequency I have absolutely zero issues with that.

As I said, if it works like shit, we can re-evaluate.

What is wrong with the current process.. everybody likes their respective threads. it builds constructive & intelligible commentary about weekly content.

I have not seen one complaint in the PSN weekly store threads.

I thought the mods were against mega-threads as well. that's why they got shoved off into the Gaming Community.

Sol1dus

Yeah, I feel like some people are going a little overboard. I am sad to see the death of the Vita threads because I have been a part of them for so long, but I'm not completely resistant to change.

Just woke up... So what I'm gathering for the past page or so is that we're doing weekly threads instead of a big monthly thread?

Mafusto

This is one of the point that scares VitaGAF at the moment. The Vita-thread is a place the small VitaGAF-community can come together and talk about there device. It isn't a rare site when an older game comes up that generates a little discussion. If the discussion move to different small threads like the OT and mixed in this thread than it is very likely it becomes a burden to plunge through whole NeoGAF just to keep up with VitaGAF. Not only that but the small talk about Vita-games in itself will be almost impossible because of the sheer size of NeoGAF. The old Vita-related thread was already hard to keep up with, I can't imagine how it will be when the other two communities will also join this thread.

Just woke up... So what I'm gathering for the past page or so is that we're doing weekly threads instead of a big monthly thread?

No, it's because this thread is now about everything PlayStation, not just the Vita.

Because why have four megathreads for four consoles when you can have one megathread for four consoles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom