• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN (Vita/PSP/PS4/PS3) Downloads Thread Z | January 2014 | The Legendary Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gravity Rush 2 is in full production and will release 2014!

Top of page, oh me oh my. My top recommendation is the Patapon series. Get all 3 and play them in order. It was the PSP's signature (and best) franchise. Probably the most creative games I've ever played. You control an army of tribal eyeballs on a 2D plane via 4 beat call and response drumming. Each game gets more focused on story and RPG aspects as they go on, and they add some great multiplayer if you've got someone to play with. Maybe my favorite series ever.

Tapejara

Beginning Slimes are pretty easy if you throw down a golem and hack at its legs. (Or throw explosives, if melee isn't your thing)

Thanks for the tips! Ya, melee isn't really my thing, so I guess it's explosives for me.

Top of page, oh me oh my. My top recommendation is the Patapon series. Get all 3 and play them in order. It was the PSP's signature (and best) franchise. Maybe the most creative games I've ever played. You control an army of tribal eyeballs on a 2D plane via 4 beat call and response drumming. Each game gets more focused on story and RPG aspects as they go on, and they add some great multiplayer if you've got someone to play with. Maybe my favorite series ever.

Omg, source for the Gravity Rush thing?

Heard a rumor that Minecraft won't be making it to the Vita until Summer 2014. Pretty disappointing.

Top of page, oh me oh my. My top recommendation is the Patapon series. Get all 3 and play them in order. It was the PSP's signature (and best) franchise. Probably the most creative games I've ever played. You control an army of tribal eyeballs on a 2D plane via 4 beat call and response drumming. Each game gets more focused on story and RPG aspects as they go on, and they add some great multiplayer if you've got someone to play with. Maybe my favorite series ever.

Source?

I agree. Patapon is a great game and I had lots of fun with it. Recommended for rhythm game lovers too.

ZeroAKA

Well, I dunno. I'm relatively early into the game (I'm 3/16, harder battles I've played are 3*) so I don't know what happens at the harder levels, but I suppose Chaos is for DPS and Divine for Tank / Support.

I'm using a mix too, but I haven't played online. I'm only gessing, but I think maybe the purest building are for ranged (1/99) and the melee building may have some Divine levels (like 15/85 or something like that) so they can at least endure 2 hits in the hardest pacts. I'm using logic, so I'm not 100% sure.
Melee is completely inefficient, no matter what build you go for. Don't use it.

I might be able to play some Soul Sacrifice online later today, but my Wifi at home had some troubles with SS (and only SS) the last time I tried. Just post here.

Source?

I agree. Patapon is a great game and I had lots of fun with it. Recommended for rhythm game lovers too.

Hm weird, all I can find is a site called Nintendo Enthusiast commenting on the fact the game would be coming to Wii U. In that it refers all remaining announced versions of Minecraft are projected as Summer 2014, with no concrete source.

Several sites then commented on that rolling with "Summer". Rumours huh. I think it's pretty clear how 4J roll, it'll probably just drop as a surprise like PS3.

Hm weird, all I can find is a site called Nintendo Enthusiast commenting on the fact the game would be coming to Wii U. In that it refers all remaining announced versions of Minecraft are projected as Summer 2014, with no concrete source.

Several sites then commented on that rolling with "Summer". Rumours huh. I think it's pretty clear how 4J roll, it'll probably just drop as a surprise like PS3.

Hopefully, it stays a rumour.

There's one thing I know about 4J and that is they love being late with a passion.

Dr. Buni

Great recommendation. I can't wait to play Patapon (never had a PSP, only borrowed one once to play P3P). It looks fun as heck.

I'd love to play some Soul Sacrifice with you tonight, after work. I need some tips myself; can't beat
Magusar. I know it's not really a spoiler, but...

Patapon is a series I fell in love since I played the first on my Vita. Never leaves my memory card <3

maouvin

So much this. I only began enjoying SS after I focused on ranged. But having all 6 as throwing spells seems like overkill, so I'll experiment with eggs and a golem when I get these.

So much this. I only began enjoying SS after I focused on ranged. But having all 6 as throwing spells seems like overkill, so I'll experiment with eggs and a golem when I get these.

Lol awesome

I had the same conclusion. I found throwing spells so useful.

Takao

Banned
http://www.n3rdabl3.co.uk/2013/12/gravity-rush-2-production-full-effect/

The Playstation Vita has had a bit of a hard time since release, but there&#8217;s a few gems that make the handheld a dream to play. Gravity Rush was one of those titles and news that production for the sequel is pushing for a 2014 release for fans.

Using the Vita&#8217;s special functions, Gravity Rush was controlled though a complex sounding, yet simplistic control scheme, allowing you to move around using the tilt features.

Somewhat of a mix between action and RPG gaming, Gravity Rush brought a cool new way to play the genre and amassed some high scoring reviews in the process.

For the sequel, it looks like fans will be able to get their hands on it sometime in the coming year as creative director, Keiichiro Toyama had this to say:

&#8220;The team is preparing and the systems are being put in place for the next title, and things are going smoothly. 2014 seems to be a year that will be dedicated to production in earnest, but I&#8217;ll work hard to meet everyone&#8217;s expectations.&#8221;

So, for all you anime obsessed, cat loving, Project Siren fans, it won&#8217;t be too long to wait for your next fix.

Wouldn't be paid £35 to play this. A terrible port of a terrible Spiderman game.

Anybody got any recommendations for a nice, chilled out Vita game? Want something I can just play casually. Tearaway is already a good one, but any others?

RalchAC

I might be able to play some Soul Sacrifice online later today, but my Wifi at home had some troubles with SS (and only SS) the last time I tried. Just post here.

What? Melee is useless for the last levels? What skills do you use then?

Tizoc

Wouldn't be paid £35 to play this. A terrible port of a terrible Spiderman game.

Anybody got any recommendations for a nice, chilled out Vita game? Want something I can just play casually. Tearaway is already a good one, but any others?

Broken Sword 5 if you haven't gotten it yet.

Simon_K

Neo Member
vitabros, help me, I'm at my wits end with this insane connectivity problem.

I'm trying to connect (and STAY connected) in Soul Sacrifice, but I keep getting the network error all the time. It takes between 20 seconds to 1 minute after opening online and searching for a room/starting my own. Sometimes it kicks in when I attempt to join a room, and sometimes when someone joins the room...

I've tried 3 different wifis and 3g, and the results were similar, the disconnect time varied but not by much. Halp ;O;

vitabros, help me, I'm at my wits end with this insane connectivity problem.

I'm trying to connect (and STAY connected) in Soul Sacrifice, but I keep getting the network error all the time. It takes between 20 seconds to 1 minute after opening online and searching for a room/starting my own. Sometimes it kicks in when I attempt to join a room, and sometimes when someone joins the room...

I've tried 3 different wifis and 3g, and the results were similar, the disconnect time varied but not by much. Halp ;O;

Bizarre. I would hate to think its a hardware issue.

All the connections you are using must be weak or subject to interference. Without a lot of specific details of your routers, environment, position, etc... Im not sure I can help

Lets hope the wifi chip in the Vita isn't the core of the problem (it likely isn't)

Vita only?

Flower is a pretty chill game.

PSP on the other hand has harvest moon and is pretty relaxing overall.
What day does ps+ get updated with the Jan games?
Last two weeks of the month.

ZeroAKA

What? Melee is useless for the last levels? What skills do you use then?
Most melee attacks are way too slow, and even the faster ones put you in a dangerous position where enemies can easily attack you. Some bosses such as Jack O' Lantern can be easily defeated with a melee weapon (ice sword), but there are better options (ice thorn).

I'm running a 90/10 build currently, so I mostly stick to a mix of Sanguine, heal, attack-boosting tree, and random offerings such as golems and eggs. Throw, eggs, blankets, and mines are high on my list of favorite offerings overall.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
anyone want a NA 7-day trial for PS+?

I have two and would prefer to give to people separately, but don't mind giving together if no one wants one 7 day code

Most melee attacks are way too slow, and even the faster ones put you in a dangerous position where enemies can easily attack you. Some bosses such as Jack O' Lantern can be easily defeated with a melee weapon (ice sword), but there are better options (ice thorn).

I'm running a 90/10 build currently, so I mostly stick to a mix of Sanguine, heal, attack-boosting tree, and random offerings such as golems and eggs. Throw, eggs, blankets, and mines are high on my list of favorite offerings overall.

Nice

I just go Arrows, Armor and Healing. Basically just spam the weakness on the cursed parts.

Seems less effective on certain monsters though. Such as the wyvern

Simon_K

Neo Member
Bizarre. I would hate to think its a hardware issue.

All the connections you are using must be weak or subject to interference. Without a lot of specific details of your routers, environment, position, etc... Im not sure I can help

Lets hope the wifi chip in the Vita isn't the core of the problem (it likely isn't)

Yeah, I'm afraid there might be something wrong, let's hope it's not.

Is your NAT Type 2?

Yeah, it is. It was NAT type 3 for one of the wifis (at work), so I tested this and it was the worst of the lot (as expected).

QuasarJones

Neo Member
Posted a few pages back about having broken my right thumb - trying to pick a game to hold me over for a while.

I'm thinking:
Final Fantasy ? (haven't played any of them, didn't get into Sony's ecosystem till I got my Vita this summer)

Final Fantasy Tactics

Tactics Ogre

Which would be the best of those to dig into first? I'd have gone with P4G, but I've been waiting for it to drop to $20 again on PSN (was waiting until my break from school, because I assumed another price drop was inevitable, whoops)

Thanks!

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Vita only?

Flower is a pretty chill game.

I second Flower. Doesn't get more chill than that. Proteus is also a good recommendation, but that is less 'gamey' than flower. Some other chill games I can think of is Jacob Jones (a professor layton-esque type of game), Machinarium, Lumines.

Posted a few pages back about having broken my right thumb - trying to pick a game to hold me over for a while.

I'm thinking:
Final Fantasy ? (haven't played any of them, didn't get into Sony's ecosystem till I got my Vita this summer)

Final Fantasy Tactics

Tactics Ogre

Which would be the best of those to dig into first? I'd have gone with P4G, but I've been waiting for it to drop to $20 again on PSN (was waiting until my break from school, because I assumed another price drop was inevitable, whoops)

Thanks!

I personally think Tactics Ogre is the best game of the lot.

I second Flower. Doesn't get more chill than that.

Unfortunately the controls in the Vita version sucks.
But I also hated them for Flower PS3.

I would like Flow and Flower so much more if they freakin' released a dualstick control patch.

Anybody here agrees with me?

EDIT: Also I hope that Gravity Rush 2 will be native res this time...

Pookmunki

I'm thinking:

Final Fantasy Tactics

Tactics Ogre

Thanks!

Ys 1+2 Chronicles - left stick is pretty much all the controls you'll need.

QuasarJones

Neo Member
I think that's unavoidable. I am thinking he is going to use his fingers (non-thumbs) to press the face buttons.

Yeah, I have access too all the fingers on my right hand except for the thumb, so button presses aren't too bad. Not sure about Ys though, probably stick to something with slow/turn based combat. Thanks again!

edit: Bummer too, was real excited to dig into Soul Sacrifice and Dragon's Crown during this break I have from grad school for 3 weeks. Whoops!

What day does ps+ get updated with the Jan games?

Assuming you mean NA because EU has already gotten the PS+ January content.

So...
One per week, usually.
The exact game is not known for the week until the Monday PS+ preview.
Generally speaking, the pattern is to put the PS3 games first, followed by the Vita games. PS4 games piggyback somewhere in the mix, but we don't have enough data to predict those.

It usually runs:
PS3 - 1st Tuesday
PS3 - 2nd Tuesday
[PS3] - 3rd Tuesday
Vita - 2nd to last Tuesday
Vita - last Tuesday

It's going to be a cramped month this time too, as there are only 4 store updates in January... so it's REALLY hard to tell how to fit 6 games in there.

It's a stupid system... they really should work it like SCEE.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614511

Thanks for the tips! Ya, melee isn't really my thing, so I guess it's explosives for me.

Frost's Quick Tips for Soul Sacrifice:
(1) Melee isn't useless entirely -- I'm specifically thinking of the fists/arms here -- it's just hard because it requires skill and planning, and needs to be done situationally unless you're absolutely pyscho and are playing the game as if it were an action title.
(2) Combat is about 2 things. Damage of course, but more importantly, it's about controlling the fight.
(3) Offerings are best chosen to fill in gaps in your team. You don't need 4 people running around doing melee just as much as 4 people running around throwing and using eggs isn't going to work well.
(4) When someone is using eggs or melee or anything that causes knockback, you need to be aware and try to coordinate with your team to not fuck each other up. People need to stop throwing eggs if the archfiend is down and someone is wailing on them with melee. If many people are in close, you have to coordinate that charge attack to not send everyone flying.

Seriously. If you have the right person using the right melee on the right archfiend, it's amazing. One example is Cerberus. You crumple him by blocking the rush with a shield, then put on a stone arm or the stone hammer and pound his faces in. Futhermore, properly timing the last use of your arm to be a charge attack can knock him back down, giving you more time to beat on his ass freely.

Simon_K

Neo Member
On the topic of melee in Soul Sacrifice - Melee works wonder if you "stun" the enemy (they seem to stun when I use proper element on them).

I already have it ^_-

It's not *that* terrible, it scratches an open world portable Spiderman itch. The colors/contrast just seem off for whatever reason.

I found a physical UK copy of ASM on Vita(Didn't even know these existed tbh) in a second hand rack for £15 a couple of weeks ago and bought it. It's passable enough once you get past what a shitshow the framerate in the openworld hub is. The actual missions/levels hold up pretty well though, surprisingly.

Not worth £35 by any stretch of the imagination, but it's still the best Spidey game I've played on a handheld... for whatever that's worth.

What is this game? Is it just a wander aimlessly and sightsee experience?

Yep. I found it achingly boring personally, but some seem to like it so YMMV. Just be warned there's pretty much nothing to it but wandering around looking for the occasional landmark or event to view and the occasional sit down if you like. That's it.

Unfortunately the controls in the Vita version sucks.
But I also hated them for Flower PS3.

I would like Flow and Flower so much more if they freakin' released a dualstick control patch.

Anybody here agrees with me?

EDIT: Also I hope that Gravity Rush 2 will be native res this time...

I think it plays great on PS3. On Vita, having to tilt the screen around puts me off, even more so because I can't define the neutral position to make playing the game more comfortable. Fl0w is even worse. Changing the sensitivity should've been made possible too.

I think it plays great on PS3. On Vita, having to tilt the screen around puts me off, even more so because I can't define the neutral position to make playing the game more comfortable. Fl0w is even worse. Changing the sensitivity should've been made possible too.

Yeah, maybe I was a bit overreacting on the PS3 controls.
But I still would like to have the possibility to use the sticks in these games because waving with your dualshock isn't exactly my idea of relaxing, something these games aims to be.

Yeah, maybe I was a bit overreacting on the PS3 controls.
But I still would like to have the possibility to use the sticks in these games because waving with your dualshock isn't exactly my idea of relaxing, something these games aims to be.

I echo the same thoughts as Machinehead: controls were fine on PS3. That's probably because you aren't tilting your screen as well for that version.

PSA: If you bought the PS3 version of Flower and own a PS4, you can download the PS4 version for no extra cost. The grass in the PS4 version is downright scary-gorgeous.

Also, I broke down and bought Runner2. That's adding it to an enormous backlog, but I felt like I should get it for the discounted PS+ price (that is expiring next Tues).

Tapejara

What is this game? Is it just a wander aimlessly and sightsee experience?

Pretty much, just don't forget to rub the stones.

Yep. I found it achingly boring personally, but some seem to like it so YMMV. Just be warned there's pretty much nothing to it but wandering around looking for the occasional landmark or event to view and the occasional sit down if you like. That's it.

Did you rub the stones? It doesn't change up the gameplay but it does give the game some progression.

Okay so I really want a stealth game and I'm thinking why not experience the game that everybody raves about and that I haven't experienced yet!

Original MGS!

Any impressions on it for the Vita ? Is it good ? And how about the collection ?

I should just get them all shouldn't I.

(I've only played MGS 4 lol)

Get them all. I played MGS4 in 2008 but didn't actually play any other games in the series until 2013. MGS4 is soooo much better when you get the story bits. I've never played MGS1 so I can't comment on that, but really enjoyed 2 and 3 on the Vita. I thought they ran fine, though some people have mentioned a change in framerate while indoors and outdoors in MGS2. Still, I found it to be enjoyable. That said, if you want to play Peace Walker, be aware that it was never ported to Vita and thus, not included in the Vita Collection.

And then when you've beaten 2 & 3, do what I did and replay MGS4. That game still holds up insanely well. The gunplay is superb, which is surprising considering how much shooters have changed in the past five years.

Ohnonono

finally copped Trails in the Sky last night

got some free time this weekend, maybe i'll lounge aroud with my doge and dig into it

custom view, fast loading and analog stick mapping are musts

enjoy a wonderful adventure!

Does the fast loading setting still make all those FF games more likely to crash like it used to on PSP? I remember being told not to use that feature.

Okay so I really want a stealth game and I'm thinking why not experience the game that everybody raves about and that I haven't experienced yet!

Original MGS!

Any impressions on it for the Vita ? Is it good ? And how about the collection ?

GYNGA

Original MGS!

There's a bug in the v3.0 firmware that breaks the sound in the original MGS, no? I saw a thread about it on GAF not too long ago.

EDIT: a thread on PS community website http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Support-PS-Vita/Metal-Gear-Solid-Audio-Issues/td-p/20069947

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom